by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, 1 invisible), 1,086 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Game Model (C&C Request) #229295
09/26/08 08:32
09/26/08 08:32
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
I've found myself with a little more time on my hands, so I wanted to share with you some screenshots of a model that is a WIP for our current project.

Some Screenies:

The model has 1,341 polies made up from 2,046 tris and is a closed mesh complete with seperate legs, torso, left and right arms as well as the seperate head mesh.

I have 90% completed the high detail head skin and 50% completed the body skin. Normal maps are included.

You can checkout More Pix Here

Please offer any C&C you feel inclinded to offer smile TIA

The Art of Conversation is dead : Discuss
Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: indiGLOW] #229308
09/26/08 10:01
09/26/08 10:01
Switzerland - Zurich
sinnlos Offline
sinnlos  Offline

Switzerland - Zurich
Heya indiGLOW

i like your model very much, im sure you put quite an effort in it.
however, here my crits:

-make the silhouette more interesting... its to smooth

-the textures quite good but could need a little more work. the blood stains are very blurry and the light brown shirt under the jacket needs a little bit more variation. (cgtextures.com has some great blood-splatters)

-the polyflow is good... but you will need to add at least one, better two edgeloops at the knees, elbows and shoulders in order to get nice transitions when animating.

-maybe you can get rid of some polys on the shoes, so the polycount will stay the same when you add those edgeloops mentioned before.

-useful for a model-c&c-request is also a printscreen of your UV-layout (watermark it before).

cheers

sinnlos

Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: sinnlos] #229313
09/26/08 11:18
09/26/08 11:18
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Really appreciate your comments sinnlos.

First here are some pix of the UV mapping for the body and head:

The unwrap appears a little messy in places, with the wound section above the feet having several model parts laid out over it. Also a small ammount of the polies for under the trousers are laid out underneath the main leg area.

I know that this is not ideal, but the location of these on the model is very minor and looks fine.

The head map has a space in the lower right possibly for the bloodied neck stump for if/when models are beheaded.

Anyway I would like to respond to some of your comments smile

Originally Posted By: sinnlos

-make the silhouette more interesting... its to smooth

Can you give me more detail please. I presume you mean parts of the model that are 'proud' of the models general shape? The model is being designed as a base template, a human male with additional zombie skins. I hope to generate additional items, backpacks, tool belts and other such parifinalia that would break the models siluette up.

That said, maybe you could suggest some ideas for altering the base model to achieve this?

Thanks smile

-the textures quite good but could need a little more work. the blood stains are very blurry and the light brown shirt under the jacket needs a little bit more variation. (cgtextures.com has some great blood-splatters)

I have spent considerable time with the head texture compared to that of the main body. The shirt and jacket are very new compared to the jeans, boots and other parts so I still have a lot of work to do.

Thanks for the tip about cgtextures, will def take a look.

-the polyflow is good... but you will need to add at least one, better two edgeloops at the knees, elbows and shoulders in order to get nice transitions when animating.

Yes I expect I will need to create a few more polies for motion as you say. Hopefully I can cut these in as I add the biped and skin control.

-maybe you can get rid of some polys on the shoes, so the polycount will stay the same when you add those edgeloops mentioned before.

When I remodeled the feet for the 3rd time (lol) I was really pleased with the general profile and shape, although I completely agree with you, there are def some polies that can be trimmed out without much noticable change to the models form.

Really appreciate you taking the time to share your C&C with me, its very important we make this model as best as we possibly can. I am experimenting with bones for animating the head at the moment, focused on a simple Jabba-Jabba talk system.

Thanks again sinnlos grin

Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: indiGLOW] #229314
09/26/08 12:04
09/26/08 12:04
Switzerland - Zurich
sinnlos Offline
sinnlos  Offline

Switzerland - Zurich
the uv layout looks good for me (good use of space)... the only thing i notice is that u have clusters on top of each other...
doesnt this create errors on the normal map?.
since i always bake AO on my textures i always try to have the clusters placed seperatly.

about the silhouette:
what i ment with smooth is that the torso "flows" into the butt which also "flows" into the legs. the same with the shirt and arms. what i like is between jacket and arms... this is something you see in the silhouette.
you mention that you will add items like backpack etc... that will definatly make the silhouette more interesting.

a suggestion for the general shape would be a belt, wich maybe would help to draw a line between lower and upper body.
Also add more depth to the transition between shirt and arm.

and after looking at the screenshots the head seems to be a lil' bit too small... but this can be due to the perspective.

keep up the good work!

cheerio

Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: sinnlos] #229321
09/26/08 12:31
09/26/08 12:31
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
the uv layout looks good for me (good use of space)... the only thing i notice is that u have clusters on top of each other...
doesnt this create errors on the normal map?.

Yes, usually you would not overlay as it would create issues with normal maps and AO, however the areas I am overlapping on the wound area should not be a problem.

Although I am going to unwrap the underparts of the jeans into the lower 'turnup' area on the jeans.

Obvious really lol.

I'm investing more time in the unwrap around the neck, front and back in order to get a better torso/neck join. I've also tweaked the head forward and down slightly.

I think the size is ok, although he is a little guant.

Thanks for the feedback again

Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: indiGLOW] #229325
09/26/08 13:51
09/26/08 13:51
Germany, BaWü
aztec Offline

Expert
aztec  Offline

Expert

Germany, BaWü
I think you could have posted that in showacse 1 so shall I swap it to that forum?

as to the model.
I really like the model,
well I allways love organic moddeling
because I never could get it done

Regards

Aztec

Visit:
schwenkschuster-design.de
Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: aztec] #229329
09/26/08 14:23
09/26/08 14:23
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Ah, I am far to humble to have posted this in showcase, but if you think it would be better suited there then please relocate it grin

Here's the final shot from texturing, at least until I have rigged the model up:

Here is a picture of both stages for the model:

C&C Welcome

Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: indiGLOW] #229338
09/26/08 15:48
09/26/08 15:48
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
looks nice so far, i think the normal mapping could do a bit more for it than it currently is. It only appears to be diffuse right now. also ther is a small area at the small of the back/thighs that could use a little tweaking of the silhouette as well.

Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: lostclimate] #229342
09/26/08 16:15
09/26/08 16:15
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline OP
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline OP
Serious User

United Kingdom
Thanks lostclimate. I agree the normal mapping isn't doing much for it in the shots although running in engine it looks much stronger, still im not happy with it as its not baked, just a quick pass with the Nvidia plugins.

Once I've got it rigged (couple of hours) I will be revisiting the mesh again. Im still not convinced that his 'butt' area is going to be sufficient for good animation.

Thanks for the pointers

Re: Game Model (C&C Request) [Re: indiGLOW] #230048
10/02/08 14:10
10/02/08 14:10
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
totally disgusting (and I guess in this case, that's a compliment :P)
good work. nice skinning!

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de