by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (alibaba, vicknick), 1,492 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Basketball #16022
08/11/03 23:59
08/11/03 23:59

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi all,

I tried making a rim out of wed blocks for a basketball game, basically out of 8 5-sided cylinders. My 3DGS has problems when the lowploy ball hit's a certain edge or intersection of the rim. 3DGS crashes - and if it was in fullscreen mode - my CPU would hang for quite a while. The problem occurs more when it's a higher poly model for the ball, of course. I don't see this problem at all when it bounce of the corner of just a box - but a cylinder block causes a crash.

I can think of how to rim a few different ways but was wondering if it would be practical or if anyone has suggestions.

Option 1: make a round chain of sprites kinda like Ventilatos crane cable and hide it - with physics on. Over it put a nice mdl of a rim.

Option 2: Find a wed block that doesn't make the ball crash at intersections or corners.

I am also aware setting could affect these crashes so I will test a little. But I was wondering if anyone had similiar experience and suggest a solution. As well I would liek to note if I make the rim bigger - there is less problems - but it still irks me that it happens and I need to find a solution.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks. [Smile]

Re: Basketball #16023
08/12/03 11:17
08/12/03 11:17

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I 16 Sided Cylinder subtracted from another has not crashed the system - yet. I will be more careful with physics and small intersections.

Now the problem seems to be from time to time the ball bounces off a corner at high speeds. As well objects seems to scale walls like elevators. I am going to mess with setting and hope to turn down some of the abnormalties.

I think from what I have read so far on the forum is to make sure the forces are kept low, and use trace to make sure something doesn't go too close to an object.

Off to fine tune once again........

Re: Basketball #16024
08/12/03 17:21
08/12/03 17:21
Mainz
oliver2s Offline
Expert
oliver2s  Offline
Expert

Mainz
I´m making a small basketballgame. I have made 4 blocks, and it doesn´t crash or give any problems. And it looks very good and realistic.

Re: Basketball #16025
08/12/03 17:36
08/12/03 17:36
france
seb_dup1 Offline
seb_dup1  Offline

france
sess.net,

for the global erp/cfm settings ,try to use something like:

ph_setcorrections(60000,0.01);

With this ,it must prevent some issues.

Re: Basketball #16026
08/13/03 00:56
08/13/03 00:56

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yes I agree - the physics in wed works very nicely. If you keep the blocks basic it's rarely glitchy - but with weird angles and planes - it tends to overcalculate some things. I am going to try what Seb said.

Thanks Seb, for the pointer - I am going to try that [Smile]

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de