by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,310 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: MrGuest] #222831
08/21/08 03:33
08/21/08 03:33
Guangzhou China
bomber Offline
bomber  Offline

Guangzhou China
it's because noone gives a crap about it! In China even schools and use pirated software cause noone gives a damn about it, no1 can see why buying software can be better than pirating them

"I don't know what the facts are but somebody's certainly going to sit down with him and find out what he knows that they may not know, and make sure he knows what they know that he may not know."
————Donald Rumfeld
Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: MrGuest] #222846
08/21/08 08:04
08/21/08 08:04
C
christian Offline
christian  Offline
C

No it is not ludicrous , it is called good public relations. If a business wants to do well it must have good relations with its customers. You do not think someone from a company should personally relate to its customers? Just what do you think Steve Jobs does? He is the highest paid cell phone salesman in the world. Millions of teenage airheads think the iphone is cool just because Steve Jobs says it is. Every company must have a PR department, and yes part of the job of the PR department is to encourage good relations which will reduce theft. Really it is just basic economic theory.
I did not say people were stealing software because it is to expensive. I said they were stealing it because they feel ripped off . Because of the lousy PR by the big game developers people just do not understand why games cost so much. I think cost has very little to do with stealing except when people feel they are being taken advantage of.
And I never said that anyone was justified stealing software. I said that having a personal relationship with your customers will reduce piracy.

A7 com core 2, 2gb ram, geforce 7600
Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: bomber] #222851
08/21/08 09:06
08/21/08 09:06
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Originally Posted By: bomber
it's because noone gives a crap about it! In China even schools and use pirated software cause noone gives a damn about it, no1 can see why buying software can be better than pirating them

"noone" is a little exaggeration. This counts for your county but not for all countries in this world. Some people appreciate the good work of others. If all people think like you then there will be no more commercial software around the world, only hobby open source projects can survive. How many good open source games did you play in the past?

If you dont want the industry to die then a few people should pay the bills. Many artists, programmers and administrative people work hard for that.

What about you? Maybe you finish a game, a product, maybe you harvest some vegetable or rice from the fields. Do you want us to steal it from you because "noone gives a crap about it"?

It is very sad what you wrote here.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: Machinery_Frank] #223034
08/21/08 23:48
08/21/08 23:48
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:
maybe you harvest some vegetable or rice from the fields. Do you want us to steal it from you because "noone gives a crap about it"?
Lol. How many bags of rice do you think we could sneak away with in the middle of the night? Maybe $10 worth? grin

Quote:
If you dont want the industry to die then a few people should pay the bills
bomber doesnt give a crap about bills! He is thirteen. His mommy and daddy pay the bills. Or maybe communist china has free rent for everyone!

Frank, I wouldn't even waste your time to argue with this stupidity if I were you.

@all You can choose to believe it or not. Yin and yang. Karma. What comes around goes around. Vorsehung. Jesus. Whatever you believe. If criminals think they will get away with stealing they are just fooling themselves. I have lived long enough to realize that consequences have a way of catching up with everybody. You can trust old uncle Nitro on that one. wink wink

Last edited by TriNitroToluene; 08/21/08 23:51.
Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: Error014] #223586
08/25/08 09:49
08/25/08 09:49
Pasadena, TX
Volund Offline
Volund  Offline

Pasadena, TX
Originally Posted By: Error014
What causes piracy?

Inflated Price combined with a mentality that decides what is justifiable as inflated or not. Could be 5$ for Majong, or 3000$ for Max or Maya... It's all the same to a pirate. Don't forget about the virus's and fun bonus features!

Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: Machinery_Frank] #223588
08/25/08 10:08
08/25/08 10:08
Guangzhou China
bomber Offline
bomber  Offline

Guangzhou China
Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
Originally Posted By: bomber

"noone" is a little exaggeration. This counts for your county but not for all countries in this world. Some people appreciate the good work of others. If all people think like you then there will be no more commercial software around the world, only hobby open source projects can survive. How many good open source games did you play in the past?

If you dont want the industry to die then a few people should pay the bills. Many artists, programmers and administrative people work hard for that.

What about you? Maybe you finish a game, a product, maybe you harvest some vegetable or rice from the fields. Do you want us to steal it from you because "noone gives a crap about it"?

It is very sad what you wrote here.

Well this is what the situation is like, I mean some huge companies and some gov deparments still use pirated software so u can see what the situation is like

"I don't know what the facts are but somebody's certainly going to sit down with him and find out what he knows that they may not know, and make sure he knows what they know that he may not know."
————Donald Rumfeld
Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: bomber] #223596
08/25/08 11:02
08/25/08 11:02
sebcrea Offline
sebcrea  Offline

When it comes to an entertainment product like games , music or film people who pirate think they have a right which was given them at birth for entertainment without doing something for it. If I read about people who went to the movie theater and after the movie they write a review online and talking about that the movie was bad and they want their money back because of this, I always think about these guys no one forces you the see the movie in the first place. If you are buying a ticket to an entertainment event there is the risk that some of the stuff will not fit your needs.

When it comes to software it is mostly the price but people who are really serious about what they want to do with the software will buy it. I m a proponent of digital distribution like steam which does a very good job in making it more valuable to people to buy games.

The people of today are overwhelmed buy so much media that more and more they start to think it is all just for them, for free but they forget that this stuff was made by people who also need to eat, breath and live thats why you pay money it is as simple as that.

Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: sebcrea] #223732
08/26/08 09:39
08/26/08 09:39
United Kingdom
indiGLOW Offline
Serious User
indiGLOW  Offline
Serious User

United Kingdom
There are some key factors:
  • It's bcz free is always going to be cheaper.
  • money isn't worth what it used to be and there seems to be less of it these days!
  • Fundementally software companies need to find a different way to make money from their games and applications. The internet is a good business model for today, software applications should be generating income in similiar ways.
  • Schools should NEVER have to pay for MS Office or any such applications.After all you're training these kids to use this software in their working lives which drives business to use your software, business are easier to piracy enforce.

We are rapidly reaching satriation point with more choice than ever before accross all of our digital markets. The consumer has less cash to spend in the first place and so much to choose from it's no suprise that they want to try before they buy or, in my opinion, the vast choice simply undervalues the product to the consumer and just like the old days of recording songs from the radio, it's far too accessible and therefore easier to pirate.

We couldn't stop this progress even if we wanted to, so it's about time software companies moved stepped up to the plate.

Think outside the box.... pah! smile

The Art of Conversation is dead : Discuss
Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: indiGLOW] #223774
08/26/08 16:34
08/26/08 16:34
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Quote:
so it's about time software companies moved stepped up to the plate.

What do you mean by this?

Re: Indy developer wants to know from pirates why they pirate [Re: Shadow969] #224859
09/01/08 16:27
09/01/08 16:27
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Shadow969
If we'll take Russia about 5-10 years ago, when i was a kid, i thought that every game or program costs about 2 dollars and installing a crack or a patch is a required step of installation. Even the idea that a piece of software can cost several thousand dollars seemed crazy to me(and still some people think the same). Now things are starting to change, and i see less pirated games and software in the shops. Sometimes funny things occur - i remember i saw a licenced dvd of some film that was CHEAPER than pirated to attract customers smile I suppose piracy won't be stopped completely, but it can be reduced(lower prices, stricter laws)

Yeah, I haven't been in Russia for quite some time now, but those 7Wolf versions of games were always mad popular in Russia... That 'company' must have made millions,

Quote:
* It's bcz free is always going to be cheaper.

Now that's a serious problem if you want to sell things...

However, everybody knows the whole idea behind paying for something is that you want something so bad, that you pay to get it. Apparently games for many people aren't worth paying for anymore. That's the real problem, the mindset on games, not really the fact that games often are available on warez sites.

Quote:
* Fundementally software companies need to find a different way to make money from their games and applications. The internet is a good business model for today, software applications should be generating income in similiar ways.

They probably are going to, but I think using in-game ads to fund games is a very very very bad development.

Quote:
We are rapidly reaching saturation point with more choice than ever before across all of our digital markets. The consumer has less cash to spend in the first place and so much to choose from it's no surprise that they want to try before they buy or, in my opinion, the vast choice simply undervalues the product to the consumer and just like the old days of recording songs from the radio, it's far too accessible and therefore easier to pirate.

The only way to counter this is for developers to become less greedy and sell their games for cheap. Simple.. It's also not healthy how some developers HAVE to make millions of one of their titles just to NOT go bankrupt. There's something seriously crazy about that also.

Quote:
We couldn't stop this progress even if we wanted to, so it's about time software companies moved stepped up to the plate.

Yes, but I think it's reasonable to expect from the industry to especially step up their game as far as copy protection goes. I wouldn't mind if games were sold for far far less money if at the same time I have to install a complex copy protection system on my PC. As long as it's free from spyware and won't crash my PC, I couldn't really care less...

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de