by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Aku_Aku, 7th_zorro, Ayumi), 1,050 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Professional Games, Casual and Hobby development [Re: Nardulus] #217517
07/23/08 14:32
07/23/08 14:32
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Whether or not you like to make casual games, there is alot of money to make from them (and especially if the browser plugin is done!!). I predict playing small funny games from browser will be a true cashcow. People can spent how much they like, and if you do this clever, you can let them keep spending on the same game smile. They really pay the amount how much they think it's worth.

But that casual games can be cashcows, doesn't mean that other types can't. To create a big quality title, you really don't need hundreds of dollars. In fact, if you are a programmer, then you can achieve a tremendous amount of (graphically good looking!) work by just doing research to latest techniques, and don't be satisfied by average movement/animation results. If you can create "self-learning" movements and take in account the physics, then you barely need an animator.

But who of us already tried to achieve this? Barely half a hand full of people are researching in the innovation field (like ChrisB with his procedural terrains and Slin with his research to over 6 different physic engines!), but I think most of us just look and stand back, watching what those few other can do. I agree that the look of models and environment are important, but seriously, a great textured environment looks just as good as a "stuffed together" environment with detailed particle effects, lensflares and waving grass everywhere. Those aren't artiscian jobs, those are programmer jobs. New revolutions in the 3d world cán be implemented in lite-c, and google is your friend smile

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Professional Games, Casual and Hobby development [Re: Nardulus] #217521
07/23/08 15:13
07/23/08 15:13
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline OP
Expert
sPlKe  Offline OP
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
you are all talking awaqy from ym main point.
my main point was, that we cannot compete with whatever super grafix game is out there, because we just dont have the cash, amrketing and whatever is needed to convice the idiots that should buy the game that our game is must have.

but when we focus on smaller games that are fun, we have a chance to sell them. whatever you call those games wont matter, but the general public calls them casual.

Re: Professional Games, Casual and Hobby development [Re: sPlKe] #217530
07/23/08 16:03
07/23/08 16:03
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Nardulus Offline
Serious User
Nardulus  Offline
Serious User

Quote:

my main point was, that we cannot compete with whatever super grafix game is out there, because we just dont have the cash, amrketing and whatever is needed to convice the idiots that should buy the game that our game is must have.

Wrong, I am selling more games than Crysis.

Quote:

but when we focus on smaller games that are fun, we have a chance to sell them.

Bingo, ding... ding... correct...

But, they are only small to us, on the inside. Consumers have no idea, nor care, if they are limited resource games or not..

Spike, I love your game with the Crazy Pumpkin head guys. I think it's brillant. I want to see it as a complete game.

Have you thought about trying different play machanic's using your current work. How about a "Battle Chess" style game. Where you move and then battle for the square.

Maybe a Bomberman play mechanic frantic mayhem using your cool killing techniques, to acquire the most squares...

Maybe to you think this would be a small game / effort. To me it would be a full game, and I would never call it casual....

Profit is the key, as long as you are making a profit, you will be able to create more games. Stop making a profit, and you will disappear like many of these grafix / money heavy developers.

I am having no trouble competing with the big boys. Hell, since I make a profit each year, I am in a better position than 75 percent of these guys.... smile

Ken

Re: Professional Games, Casual and Hobby development [Re: Nardulus] #217542
07/23/08 17:32
07/23/08 17:32
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
Well didn't I say that you can finish a big title without cash?
Aside good skills, you do need to know how to push it into the market. There are some tricks to do that without the need of massive advertisement launches for the media. You can get the ball rolling by starting on the net smile.

Knock at the doors of big game communities and forums, and if they like your game (yes, "if", well it's up to you to create a good game, this is about the marketing part) make sure they keep playing it. (e.g. multiplayer is one big important factor). Mouth to mouth advertisement is nearly as good as a tv-commercial. Just keep promoting the game everywhere for a while, I'm confident that the big masses will notice it soon enough.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Professional Games, Casual and Hobby development [Re: Machinery_Frank] #217602
07/23/08 23:53
07/23/08 23:53
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
It is not the entire truth if you say: "big companies are cowards."

Many of them published innovative projects. I read an article about that and it was easy to see that another version like Call of Duty 4, Quake 4 or GTA 4, Sims 71 sells much much better than a new innovative idea. The usual gamer is suspicious of new technologies and new ideas. They are afraid that it will be less fun. They don't feel comfortable to risk their money to just check that out.

Because of that new ideas are often not successful in a commercial way. Big publishers only see the money. But the real one to blame is YOU, the gamer wink

I think you've got it up-side down there... if publishers don't feel like pumping millions into a project that really does need these resources to become a commercial success, you can hardly blame the gamer when a publisher decides not to give more money to make the game better.

Lets face it, gamers won't buy bad games, in fact, nowadays many won't even buy mediocre games... From a publisher's point of view it makes sense to not do too much risky things, but developers should insist on getting more money for the more risky projects.

Also, there are a couple of examples of ideas that really weren't great to start with, no matter how much money they would have pumped into it.

Quote:
Many of them published innovative projects.

I disagree... usually they go with a commercially tested kind of game, lets say the standard kind of sci-fi fps game, but they add a new (usually gameplay related) gimmick and then call it 'innovation'.

That's not the kind of innovation that's really risky, unless you make the entire game bad. Examples that come to mind are Infernal or some of the other games that have time altering gimmicks... versus for example Prince of Persia Sands of Time, a game with somewhat similar features DID work and had great commercial success.

I have no doubt that for example Infernal could have been much much better than what it turned out to be... Ubisoft had all confidence in PoP and came with the resources needed. I think, to some extent at least, that it's as simple as that. Also the whole innovativeness of Prince of Persia wasn't the actual gimmick, but more so it's implications on the actual gameplay.

I think Rayman is also a very good example when it comes to gameplay that got an extra boost by the various new innovative 'gimmicks' in the last few games yes, but it's a game series that started out more or less like a 'Mario' type standard gameplay thing. They simply build up the game's name, put enough money into the series and that's why it's where it's now.

Quote:
some of us need money to build our artistic game.

There are all kinds of ways to make money while making your artistic game. NOT to start your artistic game because you have no money is actually fooling yourself. Most companies that make even smaller games in between to get some development money usually end up making only these smaller games, as it's easy money.

It's somewhat of an illusion that this would really work... especially because those in between games have to be of good quality as well.

Quote:
If you do'nt have the resources to make a graphic's heavy game, try something else...

Go outside of you narrow game style box, and think differently...

This should be heard and said WAY more often... as it's definitely applicable to most indie developers.

Quote:
Have you thought about trying different play machanic's using your current work. How about a "Battle Chess" style game. Where you move and then battle for the square.

Maybe a Bomberman play mechanic frantic mayhem using your cool killing techniques, to acquire the most squares...

Maybe to you think this would be a small game / effort. To me it would be a full game, and I would never call it casual....

Yeah, I agree. As a developer you have to also treat those games like 'full games', not like 'in between cash cows', because quality will inevitably suffer when the attitude isn't right.

I think the spin-off game ideas are great by the way, probably something to look into indeed!

Quote:

Knock at the doors of big game communities and forums, and if they like your game (yes, "if", well it's up to you to create a good game, this is about the marketing part) make sure they keep playing it. (e.g. multiplayer is one big important factor). Mouth to mouth advertisement is nearly as good as a tv-commercial. Just keep promoting the game everywhere for a while, I'm confident that the big masses will notice it soon enough.

If your game ends up getting mentioned a few times on some of the bigger blogs and your game is at least mediocre / good, then you can expect a reasonable amount of mouth-to-mouth advertising for free and a percentage of sales because of that... It's usually / probably a short-time thing, but if people like your game, then they might be interested in your next game. 'Creating' a core fan-base is probably the most important thing for a indie developer to achieve, but at the same time spending a fortune at advertising for their indie games usually isn't.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Professional Games, Casual and Hobby development [Re: PHeMoX] #217642
07/24/08 08:17
07/24/08 08:17
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: "Phemox"
I think you've got it up-side down there...

Better read before you quote! I got nothing there. I talked about sales statistics and reports from magazines.
Because of this no comments are needed on your other quotes as well. It will save us a lot of discussions.

@Nardulus:
This is an interesting view point. I will keep this in mind. Though I have to learn some new technolgies now to make games for the phones wink

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Professional Games, Casual and Hobby development [Re: Machinery_Frank] #217709
07/24/08 14:35
07/24/08 14:35
Nardulus Offline
Serious User
Nardulus  Offline
Serious User

From Gamasutra Today....

Quote:

During the Casual Connect conference in Seattle, web-oriented game developer and distributor Big Fish Games released results of its research project into the spending and playing habits of so-called hardcore and casual gamers.

Conducted with market research firm NPD, the study surveyed 2,611 gamers and determined that lines between casual and hardcore are blurry at best, and gamer demographics are broader than conventional thinking has held. As Big Fish chief strategy officer (CSO) Paul Thelen stated during a Casual Connect keynote, the traditional casual approach of "'one size fits all' doesn't work."

Rather than simply separating gamers into casual and hardcore, Big Fish created 14 casual gaming segments and four core gaming segments - when it comes to demographics, business models, and platforms, the gaming market is diverging, not converging, the company claims.

No Shit Sherlock.....

The elusive casual gamer classification fools them again.

So why fricking bother.... Since it's made up bull crap, it will get further mushy reclassification next year....

PS. Funny on the Big Fish Games site, I have not been able to find the word "CASUAL"... HMMM wonder why??? Because it's bullshit maybeee...

Ken

Re: Professional Games, Casual and Hobby development [Re: Machinery_Frank] #217812
07/24/08 22:56
07/24/08 22:56
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
Better read before you quote! I got nothing there. I talked about sales statistics and reports from magazines.
Because of this no comments are needed on your other quotes as well. It will save us a lot of discussions.

How very close minded of you... smile so because it was written in some magazine, by some guy it must be true or did you mean to say you did not agree with the magazines? In that case I misunderstood.

But if you really believe in what those magazines wrote there, then I was also criticizing what you think. Take it any way you see fit, you don't have to discuss anything with me if you do not want to and with all due respect I couldn't really care less. smile

Quote:
Spore is another interesting story. The hype tells it was innovative.

To me it's easier to see the innovation in a title like Spore than in a title like Bioshock or Halo 3...

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Professional Games, Casual and Hobby development [Re: PHeMoX] #217844
07/25/08 06:06
07/25/08 06:06
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
How very close minded of you... smile so because it was written in some magazine, by some guy it must be true or did you mean to say you did not agree with the magazines? In that case I misunderstood.

But if you really believe in what those magazines wrote there, then I was also criticizing what you think. Take it any way you see fit, you don't have to discuss anything with me if you do not want to and with all due respect I couldn't really care less. smile

I believe calling me "close minded" is a personal attack.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Professional Games, Casual and Hobby development [Re: Machinery_Frank] #217845
07/25/08 06:14
07/25/08 06:14
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

Gee, you are touchy! crazy How old are you? That´s so childish. How about using the ignore function of the forum if almost every post of phemox agitates you like that?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de