by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (vicknick, AndrewAMD), 1,292 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 2 of 2 1 2
You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Nature #199299
12/14/07 22:39
12/14/07 22:39
Massachusetts, USA
Ichiro Offline OP
User
You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Nature

The Wonderful End of the World, our 12th title. It's in Showcase II now, because it's pretty much complete. Is this an example of what to do for a game, or what not to do? I don't know yet, but will tell everyone once we find out. Some questions have come up during development of this title. In no particular order:

0. I like A6, but I hear A7 is better.

1. Have you thought about adopting a pet?

2. Why use 3DGS? Why not use 3DGS? You aren't the boss of me!

3. Do male gamers between the ages of 14-25 like heterogeneous objects in 3 dimensions?

4. If you could have a life-sized cardboard cutout of JCL or Doug in your livingroom, which would it be?

5. The Wonderful End of the World (EoW) is coming out later this month, or I'm just going to stop writing games for a living.

6. Why does your life-sized cardboard cutout of Doug have teeth marks? Have you been gnawing on his head?

7. I wish they had 3DGS for the Xbox 360 and the Wii and my toaster. Except that I don't have a 360. Or a toaster. So, forget that, man.

8. I have to thank a few people in these forums for posting some exceptionally useful stuff. I think Ello's one of them, but I want to check my notes before I thank him. I'd hate to have to take it back.

9. Trivia: My future son-in-law was probably born earlier this year.

10. I really mean it about the cardboard cutout. That's sick.

Und so, if you're still reading (and who wouldn't be, after those rousing and interesting questions?), here's a description of each shot (left-to-right, by row, top to bottom):

1. At the end of the game, the sky is orange, and a megalopolis is on fire. This is your fault.

2. Rice Cake Parade is a fictional storybook world where rice cakes play.

3. Ditto.

4. Internet cafe after hours. People have made a mess, and it's your job to steal their laptops.

5. What do you think about words? They can make you happier or more miserable. These are all happy ones.

6. If you're on a table, you're welcome to any of its sweets. Here are candy fruit wedges, bouncing gummi bears, donuts, and glasses.

7. Construction site. Or, after you're done with it: deconstruction site.

8. If the world were made of cotton candy, you'd eat it too.

9. Megalopolis redux. You're stomping around the city, not crushing everything.

10. Pong, pacman, centipede -- they were all video games, right?

11. Your candy world consists of peanut brittle houses with chocolate roofs. The soda can towers are most ghetto.

12. You could take apart an entire mall complex if you wanted to. Suck it in like you're a great vacuum.

I'll post a new video and demo eventually. Just wanted to say, "Hey, everybody!"

Thank you.

Dejobaan Games - Bringing you quality video games for over 75 years.
16 Comments
Re: You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Na [Re: Ichiro] #199309
12/16/07 22:22
12/16/07 22:22
Deutsch Niedersachsen
Puppeteer Offline
Expert
Puppeteer  Offline
Expert

Deutsch Niedersachsen
It is definitly Ichiro style

I jsut wondered why don't you have a toaster?
Without a toaster you can't heat your toasts very well and you won't get the Nutalla melting and maybe it is hard and get stuck in your neck and you will die.
Just because you don't have a toaster

Formally known as Omega
Avatar randomness by Quadraxas & Blade
http://omegapuppeteer.mybrute.com
Re: You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Na [Re: Puppeteer] #199310
12/16/07 23:10
12/16/07 23:10
Massachusetts, USA
Ichiro Offline OP
User
Ichiro  Offline OP
User

Massachusetts, USA
To be honest, I don't know. It's been weighing heavily on my mind. I recently purchased several sets of dinnerware (I ended up with Crate and Barrel's Aspen collection, because I like my dinner plates to be very boring). I mused: "I now have 6.25-inch diameter bowls. What about a toaster?"

I confess, it may be because my counter space is limited, and gas cooking is included in my rent -- so, I just fire up the entire damned oven every time I want to toast a slice of bread. Not very convenient, and bad for the environment.

Re: You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Na [Re: Ichiro] #199311
12/17/07 04:20
12/17/07 04:20
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
lol. the only issue I have with it is how close it is to katamari... granted, since it is like saying that every jump and run is a copy of mario, just following the genre is not a bad thing, but I have a friend, and im afraid you'll get this criticism from others, that it is a copy. I know its not really but since your only the second team to follow this new found "genre" shouldnt it have a little more to set it apart?

Re: You Too Can Have Excitement of a Voluptuous Na [Re: lostclimate] #199312
12/17/07 10:18
12/17/07 10:18
Massachusetts, USA
Ichiro Offline OP
User
Ichiro  Offline OP
User

Massachusetts, USA
There are a handful of games in the genre (Cloud, Isostar, Tasty Planet). We were fairly conservative with portions of the game, but I agree with you -- we were best when we were most adventurous, as with Arcadia (wherein you're trapped in a successively larger series of '80s arcade games), Rice Cake Parade (a kawaii-inspired storybook), and Word Forge (a purely abstract level filled with language).

Should the game do well, I'd like to pursue those unusual concepts further in a sequel. (Fingers crossed.)

The Wonderful End of the World Demo [Re: Ichiro] #199313
12/27/07 04:08
12/27/07 04:08
Massachusetts, USA
Ichiro Offline OP
User
Ichiro  Offline OP
User

Massachusetts, USA

www.dejobaan.net/dl/wonderful/wonderful_end_of_the_world_trial.exe

This is the demo for our 12th title. This is what we can do with A6. It's better than our previous project. It's worse than our next project.

Does it run for you? Inquiring minds want to know!

Re: The Wonderful End of the World Demo [Re: Ichiro] #199314
12/27/07 08:03
12/27/07 08:03
Straight_Heart Offline
Straight_Heart  Offline

you keep saying "genre" but its a little hard to understand how you define that. Cloud and Isotar dont fit the "genre" of Katamari damaci, you said you wanted to expand on it.

I agree with Lostclimate. With the "collect things into a big mass", and the quirky bright color scheme and humor, you game is probobly technically excellent, but its riding heavily on the style of Katamari.

You're not as unique as you think you are, try again.
Re: The Wonderful End of the World Demo [Re: Straight_Heart] #199315
12/27/07 16:25
12/27/07 16:25
Massachusetts, USA
Ichiro Offline OP
User
Ichiro  Offline OP
User

Massachusetts, USA
I agree; we do draw strongly from that. However, the comparisons to Cloud, Isostar, Tasty Planet, etc. were actually ones made by other people:

http://www.jasonlefkowitz.net/blog1archive/2005/12/cloud.html
http://wakoopa.com/software/cloud-setup
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katamari_Damacy#Reception_and_awards
http://granades.com/2007/07/12/katamari-damacy-vs-tasty-planet

Adding The Wonderful End of the World to that list works for me; and I think the content of Wonderful expands on what's already available.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de