by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (vicknick, AndrewAMD), 1,292 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
KyKling? Demo and iamges #199175
11/10/07 01:01
11/10/07 01:01
Sweden
Gafgar Offline OP
Developer
KyKling? Demo and iamges

Well… it took some time longer than I thought... and as my defence I can say it’s al my schools fault…
But the game is as finished as it ever been, and I have changed and added a lot of things, I will not mention everything, because I think the game have an that much better feeling in it now that I no longer compares it to the old version ^^

Pleas… comment, even if you just look on the screenshots and even if you dislike the game, just spend a minute saying so then, one word like “bad” or “sucks” is better than nothing… because I have no other way do judge if its only me who thinks its enjoyable to play… >.<

Here below is a link to the download section:
http://www.megaupload.com/se/?d=JKKX5HTS

And here is some images to tease you to download and play ^^, grab on to your brother, sister or friend and get ready to blow them up ;D
.. because I have not been adding any thing like a singe player nor AI… o.o.. so you wont be able to play the game if you don’t have any one to play with… though… don’t let to small kids play it.. o.o… because I will have to warn you that I still have that half brutal death scene event… and I have even been thinking of adding more random and more brutal events to make some variation…

Any way... here is the images ^^

///////
//////

Feel Free To Ask Any Questions! ^^

\\\\\\

\\\\\\\
Last edited by Gafgar; 11/10/07 14:52.

__________________________________________________ / Gafgar The Goblin... http://www.Goblinsoftware.tk/
19 Comments
Re: KyKling? Demo and iamges [Re: Gafgar] #199185
11/12/07 16:48
11/12/07 16:48
T
testDummy Offline
Serious User
testDummy  Offline
Serious User
T

Considering that the size of the file was only 38.07MB or so (in my opinion, that's good, not bad, for content to size ratio), and the server seemed to support short-term 'resume', I did not have any real difficulty downloading in one 'session' (contiguous block of time). So, for me (on sloooow dial-up), at that time, your host was fine or adequate. (It was not my intention to complain, or to imply that individuals should go 'out of their' way to cater to dial-up users.) Of course, if you want to increase interest, exposure, feedback, etc., if resources are available, I would think that a persistent, on site ( http://www.Goblinsoftware.tk/ ) download would be preferable.

My son was cranky when we played, and initially he had trouble adjusting to the i,j,k,l control scheme. I traded and gave him the w,a,s,d alternative, and that was better.
*Configurable input / key control might be a welcome addition.
---gamepad support?
*Control gets easier after some time, but it still seemed a bit awkward. However, considering that it is a split-screen two player game on one keyboard, some awkwardness can be expected.
*In the 'Heaven' level, my son discovered if he jumped off the platforms, falling far enough, he would reappear above the platforms again, and he used this to fly down and drop 'egg bombs' from above.
*First time players:
---may tend to kill themselves with their own bombs often
---may not notice that they can run, drop eggs like mad, and leave a trail of bombs behind them
---should maybe start with the "Hill" level
---might not know what images represent which weapons
---might not know how to use other weapons (effectively) (I still do not know, but 'mines' are obvious.)
*My son was disappointed that the ice level did not seem available, but I probably would have still preferred the "Hill" level anyway.
*Killing the other player with the standard bomb can be quite difficult at times.
*It seems, sometimes, your old dead kykling can be seen when your (duplicate) new re-hatched kykling is a live and running around. If this is the case, keep it, it is somewhat comical.
*My kykling got stuck in a ramp once, with it's head sticking out of the upper ramp surface. (Of course, my son came by and killed my kykling with glee.) It was somewhat amusing, and it is not like other games (even AAA games) do not have such 'quirks' at rare times or in special places.
*My son and I enjoyed the demo for awhile, but without knowing how to deploy power-up weapons more effectively, 'burn out' may occur. (but potential galore)
---The entities jump and then fly (glide), but they do not jump very high.
---Adding increased jump and fly potential (maybe with a power-up for enabling) might extend gameplay. (air-bombing, better power-ups above, etc.)
---control over jump -> double-jump, glide (fly) or drop (instead of just glide)?
---spring boards?
*As expected, maneuverability was acceptable, but not superb, and obtaining a good sense of location or presence seemed difficult at times, but the movement itself seemed very smooth (no stickies, engine-specific problems...) .
*Two player key / input on one keyboard seemed to work well enough. (no glitches observed, no 'get your fu<king hand out of the way' obstructions)
*The gameplay principles in the demo seemed moderately sound and 'workable'.
*In my opinion, this is one of the better 3DGS demos, especially given the size of the file. As is, the demo can be enjoyable for awhile, but, by using the existing potential, and building upon the good that is already there, I think it can be taken further. (<<refers primarily to gameplay enhancements)

Of course, as mentioned before by others, the effects are woohoo!!!

Re: KyKling? Demo and iamges [Re: testDummy] #199186
11/12/07 17:54
11/12/07 17:54
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
I like it a lot, but movement/maneuverability is quite slow. I'd definitely like to see a faster version and jumping should at least be three times as high so we can jump on crates and things like that. Other than than, keep going,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: KyKling? Demo and iamges [Re: PHeMoX] #199187
11/12/07 20:03
11/12/07 20:03
Straight_Heart Offline
Straight_Heart  Offline

played the demo and its pretty fun (if you have a friend to explode of course).

Ive experienced Testdummy's comment about flying continuously at the heaven level. Which Im not sure is done on purpose,(I think it was on purpose). It was cool to continually be on flight and drop bombs from above.

I like the sound the chicken makes when he dies.

The gameplay was fun, although the controls were wierd. It unfortunately felt like steering a car, which is unavoidable with the 2 players on 1 keyboard.

Why is the ice level even there if you cant enter it?

From the readme file in your game, you said the bombs explode in a cross formation (homage to bomberman?). I only noticed this when I died while the camera was high up and saw the explosion come out as an X. This Cross explosion didnt seem to offer or detract anything from the gameplay. If I saw a bomb ticking off, I ran in the opposite direction instead of finding the explosion's "blindspot". This effect would work in a grid/tile level from the SNES days, but in a 3d world where you can move in any direction, the cross explosion doesn't really do anything.

I liked the graphics, nice cartoony colors, nice insane looking chickens, although their animations need some work.

Seeing the chicken in body armor was awsome.

You're not as unique as you think you are, try again.
Re: KyKling? Demo and iamges [Re: testDummy] #199188
11/12/07 23:41
11/12/07 23:41
Sweden
Gafgar Offline OP
Developer
Gafgar  Offline OP
Developer

Sweden
First of all ... thanks for the replies! ^^

and now some replies to you...

I forgot to ad a comment about the different level types in the game, ^^ There is actually six different level types.. but only 3 in the demo.

- The grass levels are the beginner levels, nothing special about them, more than that they have trees.

- Then there is the Air levels, they are special in that way, that everything that falls down teleports up, not only the chickens, but everything (except the corpses, but that is only a bug >.<).

- Then we have the fire levels, they have always a floor of lava that instantly kills everything that touches it, and some fire levels have fireballs flying around.

- The ice levels have some spots with ice that have zero fiction and some and some with high snow that will almost conceal the bombs, and definitely conceal the mines.

- Then we have the cave maps with some really dark areas that are that dark that nothing will be visible, except the silhouette of things and you will also be able to see things lighten up by the bombs, and some lights in the level will be moving, and some will be destroyable.

- The last level type is the tech levels, these have moving floors, elevators and teleports, and buttons, pipes and slides transport wheels and other industrial thing.
Just so that you know that the falling thing with the Heaven map is no bug ...

You both mentioned the controls.. i don't really know how to make them better, have tried to make an automatically tilting camera and haded a increasing turn speed and things like that, i will add options for changing controls... but... do any body know how to implment suport fron handcrontrolls and other input devises in 3dgs? i know how i can use direct input in c++ and stuf like that... but don't feel like creating a DLL for that... does anybody know any other way?

I have the ice level almost finished, but have experienced some bugs with the graphics lately.. so i did not finished it for the demo.. but did leave the menu as it was, did not feel like creating a new graphic file and did just remove the potion in the script, and hopes that not to many becomes irritated or something because of that ^^... hehe..

the cross shaped explosions really add to the game play, especially when 2 more experienced player plays, or when you have that large explosion range that you cant just run from it if you put to eggs in a row ^^, and things like that. and yes, it is inspired from bomberman ^^ the first version of KyKling? was actually very much like bomberman, but developed a bit away from it now, and have added many things that gives another gameplay than bombmerman, and they are not much like etch other now, just the basics.

the animations looks weird in game, i dont realy know why, that looks pretty okay in the model file i think... o.o.. but i will add more variations in the animations, and some alternative idle animations :], but that comes much later

actually the last step of armor is not finished yet, and the speed will actually affect the armor and the chickens appearance, and will be removed when you get blown by a bomb and have armor, but did not have time to add that.

Thanks for the comments about the first time players, that will be fixed, i will lad a section in the menu for newcomers, and in there there will be options to play a tutorial and read info and get some tips, and there will also be some tips for more advanced players and special tactics to use

And yeah.. the corpses are meant to stay ;D... i had a feature in the old KyKling? that you could blow the corpses even more and stuff like that ^^

About the jumping, i actually forgot to mention that in the document too, you can hold down the jump key in the air to stop flying and just fall fast. I will maybe increase the jump height a little, but not much, because the game i more about ground fighting and using higher ground to your advantage and air attacks, more like real chickens, that cant fly upwards that good^^, the armor and speed will probably effect the jumping height also
Springboards are planed, but not implemented yet , but any way ^^ its nice that you mentioned it.

I am looking forward to get more of the game finished and make another release, that would actually go pretty fast, but i will probably not have time for that in about a half year now.. -_-... but as soon as i get something ready i will at least post a screenshots of it , and i will remember all comments and try to make everybody happy

Really and truly, thanks for the GRATE replies

__________________________________________________ / Gafgar The Goblin... http://www.Goblinsoftware.tk/
Re: KyKling? Demo and iamges [Re: Gafgar] #199189
11/13/07 02:32
11/13/07 02:32
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

You both mentioned the controls.. i don't really know how to make them better, have tried to make an automatically tilting camera and haded a increasing turn speed and things like that, i will add options for changing controls

I was thinking about faster walk speed, movement that speeds up and slows down.. a bit like a car would, but not too much otherwise it's not behaving like a chicken anymore. I think keyword is fluent movements. The camera isn't necessarily wrong actually, but how the controls make you move the chicken.

When chickens are fighting, they're pretty chaotic in there movement, feathers falling down ... stuff like that. In those tom & jerry like movies with chickens you see loads of bouncy and chaotic movement, all extremely fluent. I'm going to slightly exaggerate now, but think of it as the difference between a mechanical chicken and a cartoon one. Off course this is just my 2cts,

Cheers

Re: KyKling? Demo and iamges [Re: Gafgar] #199190
11/13/07 08:42
11/13/07 08:42
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
send me the file to
michael [ett] xware [minus] cg [dott] com

and I'll host it on my server!

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: KyKling? Demo and iamges [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #199191
11/15/07 00:32
11/15/07 00:32
Sweden
Gafgar Offline OP
Developer
Gafgar  Offline OP
Developer

Sweden
Quote:

send me the file to
michael [ett] xware [minus] cg [dott] com

and I'll host it on my server!

I cant do that.. i don't have a E-mail that can handle files bigger than 10mb.. >.<
Thanks for the offer any way ^^

Re: KyKling? Demo and iamges [Re: PHeMoX] #199192
11/15/07 00:38
11/15/07 00:38
Sweden
Gafgar Offline OP
Developer
Gafgar  Offline OP
Developer

Sweden
Quote:

Quote:

You both mentioned the controls.. i don't really know how to make them better, have tried to make an automatically tilting camera and haded a increasing turn speed and things like that, i will add options for changing controls

I was thinking about faster walk speed, movement that speeds up and slows down.. a bit like a car would, but not too much otherwise it's not behaving like a chicken anymore. I think keyword is fluent movements. The camera isn't necessarily wrong actually, but how the controls make you move the chicken.

When chickens are fighting, they're pretty chaotic in there movement, feathers falling down ... stuff like that. In those tom & jerry like movies with chickens you see loads of bouncy and chaotic movement, all extremely fluent. I'm going to slightly exaggerate now, but think of it as the difference between a mechanical chicken and a cartoon one. Off course this is just my 2cts,

Cheers

I will look in to that ^^, though there will probably not be any feathers falling ^^, maybe when you collide with etch other there will be a chaotic animation where they flap with there wings, and then maybe there will be some feathers ^^, i am thinking about adding animations where they look at etch other and taunts etch other here and there at random :].. but that is something that will have to wait for a while ^^

Re: KyKling? Demo and iamges [Re: Gafgar] #199193
11/15/07 12:05
11/15/07 12:05
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

I cant do that.. i don't have a E-mail that can handle files bigger than 10mb.. >.<

Hey man, if you would like to have a Google email account I can invite you, just PM me your email. It's pretty useful and sending 30~ MB or so is not a problem,

Cheers

Re: KyKling? Demo and iamges [Re: PHeMoX] #199194
12/21/07 13:13
12/21/07 13:13
D
dib Offline
dib  Offline
D

your demo just crash and stop/freeze in menu page and don´t run here!!!
and all others demos showcase run fine here.

Last edited by dib; 12/21/07 13:35.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de