by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,089 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: lcd or crt ?? [Re: ventilator] #166476
11/08/07 15:14
11/08/07 15:14
Z
zazang Offline OP
User
zazang  Offline OP
User
Z

ok now it seems I will go for 21 inch lcd..thanks so much !!

I like good 'views' because they have no 'strings' attached..
Re: lcd or crt ?? [Re: zazang] #166477
11/08/07 18:56
11/08/07 18:56
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
As pointed out, you cannot exceed (go beyond) the native screen resolution of an LCD monitor. Therefore, it is important that you invest in an LCD monitor with the highest screen resolution you will use. You can run them at lower screen resolutions if you want to but, depending on the LCD monitor, some degradation can be noticed. However, I have not had any problems with my screen when it comes to this. I run it at its native screen res for everyday work, etc, and only let this change for some games that require a lower screen resolution.

I would get a large LCD screen with a high screen resolution. I am running a 24" LCD that has a screen resolution of 1920 x 1200 (wide screen format). Besides the screen resolution and overall monitor size, the next important thing to consider is the monitor's refresh rate. The faster (the lower the number) the better. I have not had to look at LCD screens in almost two years, so I don't know what the refresh rates are at now, but lower cost monitors tend to have worse refresh rates. This is one area you don't really want to skimp on. Refresh rates tell you about how quickly the monitor can refresh each pixel on the screen. If the number is high (a poorer refresh rate) then you can see "ghosting" when something is moving on the screen. This is very important when you are playing a game, modeling in a 3D app (and moving or rotating an object) or even watching a movie. Ghosting is when you have a sort of blur from frame to frame which, frankly, gives me a headache. If the refresh rate is high enough then you get little to no ghosting at all.

I would shoot for at least 8-12ms for the refresh rate. If they have faster, great, but compare prices and refresh rates for each monitor. If the refresh rates get up to 16ms or higher, then I would forget the monitor and find another. However, refresh rates are a strange thing. Like benchmarked software, companies tend to use a variety of means to determine refresh rates and then list the best result (ignoring the poor results). Therefore it is possible for one monitor to have a poorer refresh rate (i.e. 12ms) and actually outperform one rated with a lower refresh rate.

Before buying your monitor you should research and compare the specs for each monitor looking for the things I listed above (max screen resolution, monitor refresh rate and overall monitor size) and a few other things such as the viewing angle, etc. Then, after narrowing it down a bit, I would read a lot of reviews to see if anyone is mentioning any problems or complaining about a monitor's refresh rate, etc. Places like Tom's Hardware, etc, tend to review hardware, putting them to the test and telling you about the pluses and minuses.

I hope this has helped a bit.

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: lcd or crt ?? [Re: Dan Silverman] #166478
11/09/07 02:11
11/09/07 02:11
Z
zazang Offline OP
User
zazang  Offline OP
User
Z

Dan - great inputs there.Thanks

I like good 'views' because they have no 'strings' attached..
Re: lcd or crt ?? [Re: zazang] #166479
11/14/07 12:26
11/14/07 12:26
NRW, Deutschland
inFusion Offline
User
inFusion  Offline
User

NRW, Deutschland
For all the germans in here:
This page is very good when it comes to choosing a new lcd

http://www.prad.de/

They have a lot of tests and reviews etc there

"Wer nicht mit der Zeit geht, muss mit der Zeit gehen" - Bernd Stromberg
----
www.kihaki.de/reincarnation
Re: lcd or crt ?? [Re: Dan Silverman] #166480
11/14/07 14:53
11/14/07 14:53
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

I would shoot for at least 8-12ms for the refresh rate. If they have faster, great, but compare prices and refresh rates for each monitor. If the refresh rates get up to 16ms or higher, then I would forget the monitor and find another. However, refresh rates are a strange thing. Like benchmarked software, companies tend to use a variety of means to determine refresh rates and then list the best result (ignoring the poor results). Therefore it is possible for one monitor to have a poorer refresh rate (i.e. 12ms) and actually outperform one rated with a lower refresh rate.

Yes, the monitor I mentioned (Samsung 226BW) is said to have a refresh rate of 2ms, but in reality it's more somewhere near 6ms or 7ms. Same story goes for contrast ratio. On the box it says 3000:1 (dynamic) contrast ratio which is insanely high, but in reality it's closer to 1000:1 contrast ratio.

So... don't believe the specs on the box, but check reviews out and look at the monitor in the store if you can ,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de