by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (AndrewAMD, alibaba, Konsti, 2 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Terrain lines #153719
09/12/07 15:43
09/12/07 15:43
Munich, Bavaria, South of Germ...
TripleX Offline OP
Expert
TripleX  Offline OP
Expert

Hey,

I have a problem with GameEdit. If I generate let's say 4 terrains (splitted skin1 ) withour heightmap everythings looks perfect and correct (the blue line is the selection line of the 2 terrains)

If I use an addional (splitted) heightmap you can see small lines between the terrains (in the textured mode as well as in the baked mode)

The Problem is, that 1) the textures are fitting for 100% (as you can see in the image without heightmap) and 2) as you can see in the following wireframe 4 vertices always have the same height - this is just for testing and to show that this bug also happens in these cases)

In baked mode it seems as if the lightning between the 4 welding vertices is different, resulting in an different ambient, leading to these ugly lines.

After some testing I realized that these lines only appear if I execute ent_fixnormales (and save the terrain with wrong normals - meaning the same normal for every vertices).
What can I do against these damn normals? As you can see the 4 vertices in the picture above have the same rise (0), therefore the normals should be the same, shouldn't be?

thanks a lot for any help / idea / suggestion.
best wishes,
Timo

Re: Terrain lines [Re: TripleX] #153720
09/13/07 17:12
09/13/07 17:12
Munich, Germany
R
Robotronic Offline
Robotronic  Offline
R

Munich, Germany
Hi!

Well this is no solution, just for comparison:

A while ago I was looking for a method to create terrain entities (chunked), which would match without seam. Here is a screenshot of the transition area:

I had to find / adjust the height manually by zooming in (in wireframe mode).
No matter how exact, there is always a visible seam. Most problematic is a thin white line at the border.
I also noticed the different shading. It is more or less visible, depending on the lighting and the slopes of neighbouring faces. I guess this is because of the influence of connected neighbouring faces and gouraud shading?

This is done with A6 engine btw. and no GameEdit.

Re: Terrain lines [Re: Robotronic] #153721
09/13/07 18:26
09/13/07 18:26
TripleX Offline OP
Expert
TripleX  Offline OP
Expert

The 3 faces next to the "line" must have the same rise.
That's the only solution i found.

Thanks for the comparison.

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de