Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, 7th_zorro, VoroneTZ, Quad), 901 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Prayer #138398
06/27/07 16:57
06/27/07 16:57
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline OP
Expert
A.Russell  Offline OP
Expert
A

Japan

Something entertaining I found for you to fight over:

Quote:

Whatever we pray for, we pray for a miracle. Every prayer reduces itself to this: "Great God, grant that twice two be not four." A miracle is an event described by those to whom it was told by men who did not see it. As Emerson said, "As men's prayers are a disease of the will, so are their creeds a disease of the intellect."

Re: Prayer [Re: A.Russell] #138399
06/27/07 18:47
06/27/07 18:47
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Makes perfect sense to me, from a practical viewpoint. However, one of the purposes of honest prayer is devotion and union with a spiritual force.

I don't pray and don't believe in such things, but I do think that some people may pray for reasons other than requesting miracles.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Prayer [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #138400
06/27/07 20:20
06/27/07 20:20
Antwerp,Belgium
frazzle Offline
Expert
frazzle  Offline
Expert

Antwerp,Belgium
Quote:

Makes perfect sense to me, from a practical viewpoint. However, one of the purposes of honest prayer is devotion and union with a spiritual force.

I don't pray and don't believe in such things, but I do think that some people may pray for reasons other than requesting miracles.

I agrea partly, but first I wanna note that I haven't prayed alot in my live up on now. About the statement A.Russell quoted, I agrea with Matt his first point of view. But I don't think that when praying for something to come true like passing for an exam at school isn't a miracle for some people. So when people pray they mostly do it to a kind of 'thing' that is a God for them to make their 'questions' come true which when it happens it is a miracle for those people even when it's a non related miracle request. For myself, I don't believe in miracle events but I also wouldn't pray for that kind a stuff, I just make sure I pass by studying

Cheers

Frazzle

Antec® Case
Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® i7 975 Quad Core
8 GB RAM DDR3
SSD OCZ®-VERTEX2 3.5 x4 ; HD 600 GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 295 Memory 1795GB
Re: Prayer [Re: frazzle] #138401
06/27/07 21:22
06/27/07 21:22
Connecticut, USA
Blink Offline

Expert
Blink  Offline

Expert

Connecticut, USA
the difficulty here lies in history. unfortunately the history of the church and prayer have been plagued by wars, brainwash, murder, torture and deceit all in the name of God. The same bible that so many hold dear, is a book compiled by a "religious" order that purposely excluded certain books of the bible (see apocrypha for more info)to keep certain "truths" away from the common man, so that the power will stay in the church. See, prayer is not a complicated thing for those who believe in a higher power. its the religious sects that try to teach the power of prayer that makes things complicated. truth is, the majority of people praying were taught the wrong way, and their prayers will not be answered anyway (Matthew 6:1-8). The ironic thing is the message is very clear, it's all about free will, the choice to believe and not to believe, the option to pray or not to pray. Even the immortal, powerful angels of the bible were jealous of man because of our ability to choose, and some were thrown out of heaven because they were equally jealous of God because of his love for man and man's worship and devotion to God. I personally have my beliefs, and I normallydo not discuss them because i do not wish to scare anyone away,lol. I am not a satan worshiper, but because of my own personal studies in theology, and history, i believe in a different ways that seem more logical and factual to me. Free will is the one thing we have that is real.

My Famous Quotes: "Hip hop is like a virus, infecting everyone and everything around it. Every form of media has some way,shape or form, assimilated hip hop into it." It has also mutated into other strains like, trip hop, house, rap, gangster, and conscious forms. Once you are infected with it, its with you for life."
Re: Prayer [Re: Blink] #138402
06/27/07 22:54
06/27/07 22:54
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
I think prayers are rather strange. It's like saying to yourself you want it to be good weather tomorrow and when it turns out to be a wonderful sunny day people will say 'see it worked', however if it rains that day people will say 'darn I haven't prayed good enough' or 'we didn't please the gods well enough we need a bigger sacrifice'.

That just doesn't make any sense, people attribute certain events to God without ever realizing (or admitting) that there's no way you can tell if it was God... in fact, when it comes to the weather, it simply means the conditions were right for the type of weather it will be. That's what we can see, however whether or not 'God' made these conditions like they were is impossible to say or check. When it comes to complex systems there's a lot that matters for the overall outcome and result. I think that the more we figure out about these systems the further back 'God's influence' will be, in fact it will always be placed at the point that we 'simply do not know' what happened or how it happened.

It's back-paddling at best, but probably God simply represents the unknown or not yet known and nothing supernatural and not even a being. Plenty of discoveries in the past have shown that a lot of things were not caused by Gods or God.

I also wonder why really good people die of cancer eventhough their family prayed hard for the person to heal. The 'God thought it was time for him or her to go' simply sounds awfully similar to the 'we haven't prayed good enough' or 'didn't please god well enough', but in the end it simply did not work. How come if praying more or less is supposed to "work"? If it's all up to God anyways, why bother praying for things to happen?

I can understand the common comment that God isn't 'Santa Claus' and simply won't give everyone what they want, but that's really a very weak argument when the real link between an invisible God and events that happen is non-existing or invisible,

Quote:

truth is, the majority of people praying were taught the wrong way

Yes, but then again this doesn't matter because there's no way of distinguishing between luck or chance from either God willing to give what you want or God saying no 'sorry not this time'. If people pray in the wrong way, but they still 'get what they want', then how do you know they did something wrong? The opposite is also true, if people pray but don't get what they want, how can you tell whether it was God saying no or a wrong prayer? Or perhaps prayers simply don't work because there is no God?

It's quite ironic that this has to do with free will, because of course people want to believe and want to pray when loved ones are dying. I'd say that's enough prove that it doesn't 'work' if it is supposed to work.

Besides, often in case of a surgery after an accident it'll be the doctors saving lives, not God. It's quite easy to proof, just prevent the doctors from doing anything ...

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Prayer [Re: PHeMoX] #138403
06/28/07 04:37
06/28/07 04:37
Connecticut, USA
Blink Offline

Expert
Blink  Offline

Expert

Connecticut, USA
SEE, I agree with your point. the point i was trying to make earlier was, you dont have to allow religion and a diety control your faith and beliefs. free will allows free thinking to occur, gives you an opportunity to get some clarity in your life. let the brainwash fade and the truth to become evident. my example is, ancient Sumer, the first civilization. the first writing, cuniform tablets recording the events re-told and redesigning the old testament, making sure to adjust the power to the church, giving glory to their one God, and ignoring the others. now taking the stories of the bible re-written some 3500 years later by men who taught others to fear what they didnt understand. i ask you, look at the old testament and the events in it, you will see proof of extraterrestrial events, then look at the artifacts and celestial calenders of ancient cultures, and look at their dieties, then ask yourself, " can it be possible that maybe the gods and angels that we think were here and spoken about in the bible, possibly came down from a mothership?" ufo's, abductions, etc were spoken about in the bible during the old testament, and there are many more events in their own book to support these claims. and look really closely to the church and all that it has done in the name of religion, and look at the clergy for lack of answers themselves, brainwash people into believing they should live in fear and not answer any questions. ask yourself what if the ancient civizations were right all along? if we were given this free will br God to have options and ask questions, why does the church tell us not to ask questions. religion has proven to be nothing more than a contradiction.

Re: Prayer [Re: Blink] #138404
06/28/07 15:20
06/28/07 15:20
Connecticut, USA
Blink Offline

Expert
Blink  Offline

Expert

Connecticut, USA
look, i dont want anyone to think that i worship aliens or anything, but i always thought if you can see it, touch it and its real, then its real. thats all that i am saying. there is no proof that king solomons temple exsisted, or any actual writings of Jesus Christ anywhere, but there is loads of examples of alien exsistence, and i am not talking about Roswell, NM.

My Famous Quotes: "Hip hop is like a virus, infecting everyone and everything around it. Every form of media has some way,shape or form, assimilated hip hop into it." It has also mutated into other strains like, trip hop, house, rap, gangster, and conscious forms. Once you are infected with it, its with you for life."
Re: Prayer [Re: Blink] #138405
06/28/07 16:30
06/28/07 16:30
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

free will allows free thinking to occur, gives you an opportunity to get some clarity in your life.

Aah, okey, I misunderstood then, yeah, I agree.

I really think that people should base their opinions and beliefs on what they know, not on what they don't know. (off course there are a lot of people who 'think to know' (aka 'believe'), I guess that's a somewhat gray area, but as long as you can't prove it, it's still unknown.)

By the way, from what you're saying about extraterrestrials, I think you might have read books from Erich von Däniken right?

Well, in case you have, there are a lot of flaws in his theories and mostly his interpretations are very subjective and at times quite random. Some of his examples are quite interesting, but mainly all he really does is search for examples that fit his theory ( also more or less neglecting Egyptian descriptions about their deities if those do not fit his interpretation for example) ...

For example there are ancient images in which the exact same deity is depicted, one looks like it's depicted floating on a UFO-ish platform in the sky, on another image there's no such platform eventhough the deity according to von Däniken is floating again. Well, if aliens need a platform to float, then the second image doesn't fit this idea. Erich never mentions this though, along with many other things that are a little bit flawed.

Quote:

religion has proven to be nothing more than a contradiction.

I tend to agree.

Still the ufo sightings that are reported everywhere do not convince me either, not the ones reported by thousands of people or reported by 'trustworthy persons'. There are a lot of atmospheric phenomena that could make up such images in the sky, although I have to say that noises heard might be a different story.

All in all, there are a hand full of unexplained sightings perhaps ( as in no military test occurred that day and it's probably no natural phenomena ) , but that still doesn't prove anything.

Where are the aliens and ufos if they are here?

Cheers

Re: Prayer [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #138406
07/08/07 05:40
07/08/07 05:40
Beverly, Massachusetts
Rhuarc Offline
Expert
Rhuarc  Offline
Expert

Beverly, Massachusetts
Quote:

Nicely put.

While I do believe that God exists and that he does answer prayers, I also believe that sometimes the answer isn't a miracle (i.e. you're sick, ask for healing, when really you just need to see a doctor). God doesn't always work that way. Also, God doesn't perform "miracles" to put on a show, it's for the person who needed it, not for the others. Take for example when he healed people in the Bible, he would often tell them not to go and tell others. I believe that in part is for the very reason set forth in the snippet A.Russel posted.

-Rhuarc

I no longer post on these forums, keep in touch with me via:
Linkedin.com
My MSDN blog
Re: Prayer [Re: Rhuarc] #138407
07/09/07 22:02
07/09/07 22:02
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

I also believe that sometimes the answer isn't a miracle (i.e. you're sick, ask for healing, when really you just need to see a doctor).

Mmm, well, I'm sorry, but I don't quite get this way of reasoning... If the answer you 'get' is "ow, maybe you should go see a doctor -God" then perhaps you are right, however there's never a voice talking but your own inside your head. In fact, naturally anyone can come up with the same conclusion whilst not have prayed anything. Doesn't this render the praying useless, senseless etc. in such occasions? Then why pray? To clarify, I respect your 'God doesn't work that way'-argument, but you have to admit that unless you believe, there's really no reason to believe in prayers.

By the way, my previous talk wasn't exactly about miracles per say, but more so about any visible and true effects of praying. In a controlled environment you can actually prove that praying has no practical use, miracles or no miracles, there's no effect... So do we have to believe that prayers work, because religious people believe in God and therefore they believe that prayers work and that there must be divine influence? That's so not convincing...

Statistically speaking people who pray usually have more bad luck actually and have worse lives (hence their praying?)...

Quote:

However, one of the purposes of honest prayer is devotion and union with a spiritual force.

In that case there are no effects needed except peace of mind and some sort of meditative state perhaps. In that case "God doesn't work that way" does sort of make sense if prayers aren't meant to call for miracles or something effective in a practical sense. (Still, I'd call that meditating, not praying.)

Cheers

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite