Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Trading Journey
by 7th_zorro. 04/27/24 04:42
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by M_D. 04/26/24 20:03
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
M1 Oversampling
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:12
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
Eigenwerbung
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
MT5 bridge not working on MT5 v. 5 build 4160
by EternallyCurious. 04/25/24 20:49
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Akow, AndrewAMD, Quad), 733 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: Kinji_2007] #126221
04/28/07 07:22
04/28/07 07:22
Z
zazang Offline
User
zazang  Offline
User
Z

wow..Kinji_2007 YOU talk as if you had breakfast with "him"

I like good 'views' because they have no 'strings' attached..
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: Kinji_2007] #126222
04/28/07 08:04
04/28/07 08:04
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

List your reasons for not believing and I'll most likely say the same thing about you.

Many people beleive in God simply because they expect some help from him.
A sort of big brother
This is opportunism in my opinion
For obvious reasons an atheist can not be accused of opportunism since he does not expect any benefit for "not beleiving "

Last edited by AlbertoT; 04/28/07 08:05.
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: AlbertoT] #126223
04/28/07 12:11
04/28/07 12:11
Alberta, Canada
William Offline
Expert
William  Offline
Expert

Alberta, Canada
Quote:

Many people beleive in God simply because they expect some help from him.
A sort of big brother
This is opportunism in my opinion
For obvious reasons an atheist can not be accused of opportunism since he does not expect any benefit for "not beleiving "

Many people also believe in God to give something back to him. I believe in God because he's given me an existence, and I want to use my God-given talents and abilities to help others and create new things. God has also helped me through many tough times before, so in a way, he also helps you prolong your existence and have a more stable life and/or mental state because of it. I'm also going to say that just outright believing in God and nothing else is different than following Christianity, ect. However, this thread is not about that. I just hope everyone understand that spiritual matters aren't as primitive as many would have it("your life is either A)believe in god, or B) don't believe in God... ").

It's funny however, calling people who believe in God and those especially who try and conduct themselves in a good way because of it "opportunistic". I would like to think that doing so is very hard, as you cannot give into your worldly instincts as often. I am not sure how atheists conduct their moral behavior, but if they believe anything goes, and life just runs by luck and chance, then that sounds quite easy to me. If this is true, then hopefully most Atheist don't rest on their "let the world run itself" ideology.

However, JCL has put Atheism in a different light than I've usually seen(by most real life individuals I know whom are Atheist). He's shown it as a way of conviction to oneself, with no rest, no laziness, a feeling of purpose. A purpose to make good the chance that you had life in the first place.

If you look at Atheism this way, it sounds very similar to believing in God. Both want to give back, both want to work hard and use their abilities. The only difference is one accepts the restrictions God provides, and gains wisdom and understanding because of it. The other, has free reign within his mind, makes his own restrictions, and is still forever searching. If there is no perspective but your own, and everything is chance, then how do you know your thoughts and motives are proper?

It's a general belief of mine that everyone knows what's right and are purposely blinding themselves to some degree. I'm sure there are many reasons for this, we all do this at times, it's natural instinct - to want things our way...

Check out Silas. www.kartsilas.com

Hear my band Finding Fire - www.myspace.com/findingfire

Daily dev updates - http://kartsilas.blogspot.com/
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: William] #126224
04/28/07 13:01
04/28/07 13:01
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

It's funny however, calling people who believe in God and those especially who try and conduct themselves in a good way because of it "opportunistic".

First of all I did not accuse of opportunism all people who beleive in God
I was referrring to a specific post
Read it again and you see it is actually opportunistic
Apart from it, even the great Pascal had an opportunistic view of religion

It is better to beleive in God
If He does exist you win , otherwise you have nothing to lose

So I suppose that a certain degree of opportunism is implicit in many ( again, not all) religious people

About "those especially who try and conduct themselves in a good way "...this is a pure invention of yours
I never mentioned these kind of people not at least in a negative way

Last edited by AlbertoT; 04/28/07 13:06.
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: zazang] #126225
04/30/07 02:14
04/30/07 02:14
K
Kinji_2007 Offline
Kinji_2007  Offline
K

Quote:

wow..Kinji_2007 YOU talk as if you had breakfast with "him"

That would be "Him". I wish I had ate breatfast with Him. I think the biggest question I would have is: "What do I do now?". The thing most people dont get is that you cannot judge Truth by what you see. You can study facts.. study the Word.. you can even change your life and wait for signs. Never judge Jesus Christ, God, the Bible by what you "see" today. Most Christians are not actually Christians. Most claim to follow Christ yet they do not. Most know many things about the Bible yet they forget the simple Truths that lead them to the narrow road they assume they have found. I am guilty. Perhaps more guilty than anyone here. In short without full debate, I love Him and I serve Him yet I know I have not done enough. I can see the condition of the world and I realize that this is almost over.. what can I possibly do? Sorry for rambling on.. to answer the original post, God exist. Serve Him and watch as He proves Himself time and time again when there is NONONE else to turn to. At the moment I live a life most would desire. Hard work, more than average pay. Family, love.. a perfect life in most peoples eyes. I have been through a darker time in life. I had nothing, no money, no home.. it was hard. My wife and I had just moved in together not sure if we could even stay in that home for another month because of money. We spent many nights eating less than the homeless would. Amounts to nothing. Things most certainly got worse before they got better. No need for explanation. Now this day we have faith in God and my family lives far beyond what we did before yet I wonder? Is this the road I am supposed to lead? Regardless.. God has provided for me when there was no other that would have. He exists and we'll answer to Him. You included... pray for eye-salve.

Quote:

It is better to beleive in God
If He does exist you win , otherwise you have nothing to lose

Keep in mind that even though I have said it.. it does not make it your belief if you just "think" something. If you do not really believe then you are in trouble. Find the facts and base your faith on it. Keep clear of clear anti-christ on your path to Truth.

Last edited by Kinji_2007; 04/30/07 02:18.

http://www.geocities.com/carapacedweller/kinjis/Tutorial_Index.html A5 and A6 tutorials <> E3S series "Show me once and I got it, tell me once and I'll think twice."
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: Kinji_2007] #126226
04/30/07 03:35
04/30/07 03:35
SC, United States
xXxGuitar511 Offline
Expert
xXxGuitar511  Offline
Expert

SC, United States
This is the most pointless thread I've read here.

Neither Athiests or Christians can understand how it is from the others point of view. It's almost like understanding infinity.

Christians believe in their savior, so they are blind to the feeling of no savior. Same with the "Athiests" here. They don't believe in a savior, so they won't understand how the christians feel.

I've been reading this thread since it started, and all I see is arguments towards the other side, back and forth, but nobody takes the time to understand the others perspective.

...Pointless.

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: xXxGuitar511] #126227
04/30/07 04:20
04/30/07 04:20
Z
zazang Offline
User
zazang  Offline
User
Z

@xXxguitar511...Indeed,from what I've seen,such threads never change anyone's views..even if I am an athiest,I respect what believers want to believe..but in return I expect the same about my beliefs

I like good 'views' because they have no 'strings' attached..
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: zazang] #126228
04/30/07 04:31
04/30/07 04:31
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline OP
Expert
sPlKe  Offline OP
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
im not an atheist.
im an agnostic...

the difference is, that atheists know that they belive nothing and agnostics belive that they know nothing...

and this thread is not useless at all, since I wanted to know why people belive what they belive. i dont want to change opinions, i want to know opinions...

Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: sPlKe] #126229
05/14/07 03:15
05/14/07 03:15
T
testDummy Offline
Serious User
testDummy  Offline
Serious User
T

If you want to prove your self-esteem is at 'healthy levels' you can select more relevant questions: Does 'god' believe in me? Does god worship at my temples?
An author may imply god is male or female. So evidently god has sex organs? (Ok, so that might mean that in some languages a pencil might have a penis. Perhaps, some labeling is just as flawed as my logic.) But the very same author may suggest that god is ominpotent and dee root node, the source of all creation. Like a mentally challenged child I ask: If god has sex organs, why?
If you like, you can claim that your penis is larger than NULL, ...larger than god's. You can even feel good about it, if that suites your fancy. Really, when is god going to 'whip it out' and prove otherwise.

Aren't you important and special? Isn't everyone important and special? Do you believe in god? Pishawww. God should have faith in you. Praise you!
The distinguished Captain Planet put it rather well: "The power is yours!!!"

Disclaimer: There is no indication that Anthony Robbins endorses any statement this post. However Zig Zigler may endorse some statements in this post, 'postmortem'. While vacationing in hell, I asked A. Crowley personally, and seemingly, he endorses everything in this post.

Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: testDummy] #126230
05/14/07 20:44
05/14/07 20:44
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
I believe in God.

Here's some reasons why.

The universe can either a. exist or b. not exist. But it exists. Which proves nothing yet. However, the universe hasn't existed forever, which means it has had a cause. That cause cannot be natural, because any natural cause would be part of the universe which then means that the universe exists, and you're saying that the universe created itself at that point. So at the very least there is a creative "something" that caused our universe to be. And based on the fact that there was a cause, this "something" MUST be above and beyond our universe, which includes time, etc.

There are some clues that this "something" is personal.

1). The finely-tuned nature of the universe leads me to believe that something personal "chose" this universe.
2). Information doesn't spontaneously arise. This means that the information on this planet: DNA, came from a source with the intent of creating it. That intent gives me more clues that this creative "something" is personal.
3). Information, when transmitted over and over, does not change into anything meaningful. It gets garbled, to put it one way. So whether or not the earth is old, evolution couldn't have happened. Furthermore, this means that all organisms have their origin in some versions of themselves that were at least "more perfect" than current genomes. All of this provides further clues about the personal nature of this "force".

Where this leaves me, is at some form of deism. Since this thread isn't about why I'm a Christian, I'll stop here.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 05/14/07 20:46.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite