by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (7th_zorro, TipmyPip, RealSerious3D), 892 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: fastlane69] #125193
04/21/07 23:49
04/21/07 23:49
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

I used a bootstrap method:
Year 1: Built a small prototype (0 USD).
Year 2: Used this to raise some funds for a larger prototype (a few hundred USD).
Year 3: Used this to raise some funds for an even larger prototype (a few thousand USD).
Year 4: Once the prototype was convincing enough, I used it to raise enough money to build a demo (a few ten thousand USD).
Year 5: I'm currenlty building the demo that will (ideally) attract the investors to actually build the game (a few million USD).

Sounds like a 'ship burning' strategy to me, but at least you can tell somewhere halfway if you're ever going to make it. If nobody likes your idea or game or whatever concept, you'd find that out in step 3 or 4 at least.

Quote:

who sought mob loans

I actually got a really really shady offer once, but I didn't trust them right from start and along the way I started to feel really uncomfortable with them, so in the end the project never really took off. Not sure if it were mobsters off course,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: PHeMoX] #125194
04/23/07 15:32
04/23/07 15:32
Michigan
ICEman Offline OP
Developer
ICEman  Offline OP
Developer

Michigan
@ phemox Yea I dunno about those steps taking a year each.. especially not for SkySpace xD. It isnt nearly as big a project at a game would be, and wouldnt require a fraction of the millions a game would.

The prototyping is doable, though. I'm just an animator, but I've sat down for weeks at a time thinking of what I could do with just that.

My problem then becomes that I don't know of any specific individuals to bring it in front of.

Last edited by ICEman; 04/23/07 15:38.

I'm ICEman, and I approved this message.
Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: ICEman] #125195
04/23/07 22:46
04/23/07 22:46
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

My problem then becomes that I don't know of any specific individuals to bring it in front of. [/quote}

Local gaming publishers may vary depending on where in Mich. you are. I don't know of any, but it's a possibility.

What is even more probable is that there is a Small Business Association branch or a SCORE meeting place. Here you would get tuned into the investment pipeline for your city. Note: you are not likely to get investors in a small town with a game. Try to sweep at least for a city or a state with support for IT and innovation. No small feat but ever state has it's own vision of how to innovate with technology and if you can align your project with there's, you should have a fighting chance at getting good start up funds.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: fastlane69] #125196
05/07/07 13:42
05/07/07 13:42
V
vartan_s Offline
vartan_s  Offline
V

Basically, your idea is that rather than learn game design yourself, you'd pay people to do it for you.

Welcome to the real world.

Here's news... Bill Gates was a programmer. He did most of the work himself. Only after he succeeded did he start his now huge company, Microsoft. The truth is, if you go down the road your thinking of, your definitely not a game developer - you're a businessman, making investments and hoping you get the profit. And the reality of the situation is, you can only realisitically become a businessman if you have experience and a reasonable position to start off with.

You can't start a business with nothing - it requires skill, or money to start off with, and even besides that is requires experience. This is why most people find college an important part of education

Quote:

would it make more sense to round up and consult established mechanical engineers or go get a masters degree in mechanical engineering so that you could build it all yourself and answer all your own questions?

I'd get a master's degree. Why?

1. I need to know if my idea is realistic
2. I need to make realistic estimates of the costs that this will require
3. I need to start off with something, either money or skill to speak of, and without a degree I would have neither
4. I have no experience on how to go through with an idea, and how to deal with the experts. How do I know they have the experience to tackle the job? How do I know they're doing things right? How do I motivate them to work? How do I get them to work for me when they've been offered more prestigous jobs?
5. People want a steady project to stick to. Noone wants to get involved in a failure. Even with money people will hesitate to help you, because it just might not work out.
6. You might end up losing money (even with a good product) if you don't have the experience in business

Now, that's an analogy to game design. You can make the links yourself .

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: vartan_s] #125197
06/05/07 10:36
06/05/07 10:36
eyebird Offline
eyebird  Offline

Quote:

ere's news... Bill Gates was a programmer. He did most of the work himself. Only after he succeeded did he start his now huge company, Microsoft. The truth is, if you go down the road your thinking of, your definitely not a game developer - you're a businessman, making investments and hoping you get the profit. And the reality of the situation is, you can only realisitically become a businessman if you have experience and a reasonable position to start off with.

Sorry but Bill Gates is a bussinesman he didnt do anything he bought the software but yes you are right he knew what was needed.

But if you want quality you need to use quality tools that means spend a lot of money (and save a lot of time)

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: eyebird] #125198
06/05/07 13:50
06/05/07 13:50
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline
Expert
A.Russell  Offline
Expert
A

Japan
Quote:

I'd get a master's degree.

Depending on the industry, a masters degree may or may not be an advantage. In general, jobs of a theoretical nature -most notably, teacher- or professions where entry is restricted -doctor, lawyer- will benefit from higher, formal education. Also, students graduating with higher degrees will have an advantage at the outset of their careers. Beyond that, you can't fake skill, so five years into your career you could find yourself in a higher income bracket than others with better paper credentials.

IT doesn't, as yet, have particularly tough entry requirements. In some cases you don't even need a bachelors degree. I would recommend a bachelors in any case. It isn't even vitally imortant what subject it is in, just as long as you have one. Higher positions, foreign visas and other opportunities may be barred to people without a four year degree (any subject okay).

If you want to raise capital, at least make sure you spell it correctly in your proposal (Capitol-sic), and demonstrate that you are capable and trustworthy.

It is very rare that an employer has asked to actually see my qualifications. Only once for a job, and once for a visa.

Last edited by A.Russell; 06/05/07 13:56.
Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: eyebird] #125199
06/05/07 14:50
06/05/07 14:50
Netherlands
bstudio Offline
User
bstudio  Offline
User

Netherlands
Quote:

Sorry but Bill Gates is a bussinesman he didnt do anything he bought the software but yes you are right he knew what was needed.

In his early days he was a programmer, he actually wrote a program to control traffic lights but when people found out he was very young they wouldn't buy it anymore. He wrote a BASIC interpreter for the altair 8800, so you can't say he wasn't a programmer

BASIC programmers never die, they GOSUB and don't RETURN.
Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: bstudio] #125200
06/05/07 17:31
06/05/07 17:31
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Here's how you get capital:

1. Figure out what you want to sell to whom.
2. Write a business plan. If you can't do this, forget it. Would you give someone your money if he or she did not have a plan? Read up on business plans. This can't be stressed enough.
3. Learn to make a cash-flow projection and budget
4. Have experience or a team who has experience collectively.
5. Hit the pavement and anticipate disappointment.
6. Go back to step 1. Don't stop trying.

That is so not-easy. You will have to spend probably as much time on the business plan as you do on your game. I should know, I have done it. My business plan has taken over 5 months to develop. It's gotten a few slightly positive "hmmm"'s from different firms so far. I do not have false expectations that it will bring anything. But if you want to try, you have to be very very serious and hardworking.

Read up on starting a business and developing a plan. The cash-flow projection is critical because it shows how money will flow out (expenses) and back in (profit). People want to see a strong, realistic cash flow projection.

If this sounds like a headache, focus on making the coolest indie game you can and enjoy the creative process with a couple of other people. A good indie game can open other opportunities. Look at Media Molecule - they made the indie game, Rag Doll Kung Fu, and got a contract to develop the awesome title, Little Big Planet, for the PS3.

Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de