by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, degenerate_762), 1,309 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
scale ... box .. textures #96334
10/28/06 11:13
10/28/06 11:13
J
Jered Offline OP
Jered  Offline OP
J

I have ran a few tests, but can't seem to figure out the result. If you take a box in WED and add a texture to it, then later you take that same box, and select the whole thing ( all surfaces) and scale it down, does the texture scale down to? I mean obviously it does scale down, but let me put it this way:

When the texture is scaled down, is it using less memory then when it was the origianl scale? In other words if you start with a block that is 1024, by 1024 and a texture to exactly form to it ( 1024 X 1024 texture) and scale the block in half: 512 X 512, is the texture now 512 X 512 when I compile it?

So is it now using the memory required for 512 x 512 or is it still using the 1024 X 1024 amount of memory, but is simply scaled down...with the original memory still being used..not effected? so is the image now 1024 or is now 512?

that was question #1

Question number 2

Does each side of the box require it's own memory? or is the memory allocated for all sides at one time?

Question #3

when you selct "none" as an option for the texture on a surface, it is no longer rendered..according to the manuel, and I agree with it as I have used this several times, but is the memory still being allocated for that side that is now not being rendered? I am thinking the answer is no here...cause it is not being rendered...but I am not sure if the memory is still being used up....

final question
Why is there such a HUGE difference between full screen and windowed mode when it comes to FPS? In windowed mode I can get about 160fps (with a fairly decent size level), but when I switch to full screen, it drops to about 59 FPS....why is this? any ideas? I do not have a FPS max or minimum set. Thanks for any insight to these questions

3DGS (6.4) Commercial
Re: scale ... box .. textures [Re: Jered] #96335
10/28/06 11:49
10/28/06 11:49
Van Buren, Ar
Gordon Offline
User
Gordon  Offline
User

Van Buren, Ar
It will still use the same amout of menory when scaled. This is because the texture is loaded then the rendering scales it.

Each side uses a shared copy of the texture.

As far as I know the texture is still loaded so there is no reduction in memory needed. It may however not load it to video memory if there is no other visible side that uses that texure.

As for the FPS, I have know idea why it would drop at all. It should stay about the same. The only reason I can think of would be that it is holding writing to the buffer in windowed mode so as to match the refresh rate of the windows screen thereby faking a refresh so that the A6 would go on. In full screen mode it would match the refresh rate of the video mode.

Our new web site:Westmarch Studios
Re: scale ... box .. textures [Re: Gordon] #96336
10/28/06 12:03
10/28/06 12:03
J
Jered Offline OP
Jered  Offline OP
J

ok so then any time I plan on scalling it down, I should go ahead and use the texture size of the scaled down version...even in the larger version? this way the texture looks good, and uses less memory then making it look good in the larger version....is this good thinking, or am I way off?

is there a way to change the refresh rate in the video mode?

one other question while I am thinking about it. Is it more effecient to have an image that fits the boc exactly or to have it smaller and let it tile across?

3DGS (6.4) Commercial

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de