Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (dr_panther, 7th_zorro), 1,203 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: the bible + extraterrestrials [Re: jcl] #85379
08/27/06 19:19
08/27/06 19:19
Finland
Ambassador Offline
Serious User
Ambassador  Offline
Serious User

Finland
Quote:

b) The Lord himself appears in a blinding flash of light.

It is in the bible, if you would see God face to face then you would be dead...

Re: the bible + extraterrestrials [Re: Ambassador] #85380
09/01/06 17:40
09/01/06 17:40
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Quote:

b) The Lord himself appears in a blinding flash of light.

It is in the bible, if you would see God face to face then you would be dead...

Come on, think about it, it's another quite ridiculous claim in the bible trying to keep you from thinking about it some more if you ask me. If something could be seen, then by chance someone would have, okey, given there's enough time.

Yes, so they claim it's impossible to see God and live, and expect that you'd give up thinking about it. However by this statement, don't they actually admit the fact that he quite literally can't be found? If you can't see him, never, then what infact would define him as being 'real'? In case you believe you will see him/her/it in heaven, then that's fine with me, however by that time yours as well as my brain activities are both zero, so we will never actually know and off course not live to tell.

Statements like 'if you see him, then you must be dead' smell fishy to me. Again, how do they know? One of them had any first-hand experience with this or what?!

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: the bible + extraterrestrials [Re: PHeMoX] #85381
09/01/06 21:27
09/01/06 21:27
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Its not that complicated.. its just ancient mumbo jumbo. you were not supposed to be able to look at the Pharoh of Egypt either.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: the bible + extraterrestrials [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #85382
09/02/06 01:17
09/02/06 01:17
Michigan
ICEman Offline
Developer
ICEman  Offline
Developer

Michigan
Blah.. when I think God.. I dont think in terms of the tall tales written by mankind.

I dont think we have the slightest clue or inclinct as to the nature of "God", other than him being incomprehensibly powerful. Powerful beyond anything we know.. because we're a young species. The fact that we have made all these tall tales and holified everything some king at some point has told us to..and that modern man still buys these tales fullheartedly.. or feels arrogant as to say we sprang from nothing at all.. skews our ability to properly investigate God.

It can't be imposible to see God..if it is or was a living breathing physical entity.. it, or its remains, can be seen.

What we have there is a convenience item, as someone mentioned, so that that point is never called to question. Most religions have several of these convenient stop points. In their purest form, I believe they were meant to indicate what we dont yet need to know..but in their adulterated forms.. probably things which threaten the religion itself.

I'm ICEman, and I approved this message.
Re: the bible + extraterrestrials [Re: ICEman] #203433
04/22/08 04:21
04/22/08 04:21
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

What if the extraterrestrials showed us their documentary video of earth´s history and the evolution of its inhabitants? \:\)

Re: the bible + extraterrestrials [Re: PHeMoX] #203557
04/22/08 18:52
04/22/08 18:52

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm going to have both spaceships and aliens in my next game and this WILL FREAK people out man!!! HAHAHA! \:D

But, it's probably not going to be what you guys expected.
Also, must have BIG FOOT and other monsters in there too!

LOL

signed,
crazy cougar :p

Re: the bible + extraterrestrials [Re: Anonymous] #203608
04/23/08 01:29
04/23/08 01:29
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Ran_man is that you??? ;\) Heheheh, while you're at it throw in big foot, yeah, why not? \:\)

as this thread was resurrected anyways;
 Quote:

I dont think we have the slightest clue or inclinct as to the nature of "God", other than him being incomprehensibly powerful.

No, actually we don't know if God is 'incomprehensibly powerful' either. Besides that is basically just ridiculous paradoxical language to depict God as something unreachable and incomprehensible, but we really know nothing instead.... In fact, regardless of it's properties, we don't even have a clue whether or not a God could potentially exist. There's too many people that assume by grace of the unfalsifiable nature of Gods that they therefore must exist. Which is with all respect quite clearly ridiculous in my humble opinion.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: the bible + extraterrestrials [Re: PHeMoX] #204163
04/27/08 11:54
04/27/08 11:54
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

the main issue with the extraterestrials from the point of view of the bible is the original sin and the salvation
Did they also eat the apple ?
If so, how many times has Jesus Christ been crucifiged ?
Otherwise , are they still living in the Eden ?
I dont think that religiuos people can accept the existance of extraterrestrials

Re: the bible + extraterrestrials [Re: AlbertoT] #204703
05/01/08 07:10
05/01/08 07:10
Spirit Offline

Spirit  Offline

That depends on if they believe in original sin, not many people still do. I think only very fundamentalistic sects would have major problem with accepting the existence of extraterrestrials.

Re: the bible + extraterrestrials [Re: Spirit] #204706
05/01/08 07:40
05/01/08 07:40
Maine
NITRO_2008 Offline
NITRO_2008  Offline

Maine
 Quote:
That depends on if they believe in original sin, not many people still do. I think only very fundamentalistic sects would have major problem with accepting the existence of extraterrestrials.
It doesn't matter if they accept original sin or not, angels and other extraterrestrials are mentioned all throughout the Bible.

Also the consequences of original sin were constrained to the earth and the flesh which was made from the "dust of the earth"

Quote:
Gen 3:17 And unto Adam he said,Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree,of which I commanded thee, saying,Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

Only "the ground" was cursed, not the ground of any other planet.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite