Our fps entities

Posted By: vartan_s

Our fps entities - 06/21/06 16:01

I have a small question to ask

This could be regarded as more of a discussion question. I'd like to know, which one is better for creating fps weapons, whether it is the view entity method used by grimber in his tutorials, or the actual 3d entity used by the xpire AI demo.. I've noticed several advantages and disadvantages for both, and I'd like to know a way around them if they exist:

View entites:
Advantages:
No need to change their position relative to player every time
Do not go into walls

Disadvantages:
Do not receive level lighting
Cannot be removed or created in functions

Normal entities:
Advantages:
Receive level lighting
Can be removed and created [needed]

Disadvantages:
Go into walls [needed]
Must be moved to position in front of player every time

Remember, ultimately the point of this topic is not to discuss which is better (although you can do so), but to find a way to stop these from happening. The ones with [needed] have priority - I need these to be fixed to continue
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Our fps entities - 06/21/06 16:09

You can sort out one disadvantage of normal entities by just adding the following line to the weapons action:
my.znear = on;

In the past I always used view entities, but at the moment I think level entities are better, caus of the advantages you listed. And I think moving the weapon infront of the player all the time is not a problem at all.
Posted By: vartan_s

Re: Our fps entities - 06/21/06 16:44

Well, it depends really. I'm trying to do different things with my guns, like in cstrike they vibrate while shooting or their tilt changes eg a shotgun. To make these smooth and realistic, things become slightly more complicated. But as you said, it's not that much of a disadvantage... I guess i had people with script-phobia in mind lol
Posted By: KoH

Re: Our fps entities - 06/21/06 17:06

Personally I would go with the "Normal entities". I can't give you any code at the moment, but it isn't hard to stop a weapon from going into the wall. As for moving them relative to the player, that is not to hard either.
And this way gives you your lighting.
© 2024 lite-C Forums