Test publish critical problem!

Posted By: Mark430SR

Test publish critical problem! - 08/27/15 12:59

Ok, so I tried to publish my project as a test ,but the models (or entities in general) are not published. When I start the game and the level is loaded, no entities appear at all, either models or sprites. I used #define PRAGMA_PATH to indicate the paths to the folders. I made a folder for models, a folder for sounds, a folder for levels ... etc.

I had an older game I was working on and it was exactly the same as this, I tried to publish it and it worked fine ....

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 08/28/15 03:33

frown ....
Posted By: Superku

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 08/28/15 03:49

Are those entities created dynamically via script or placed in WED/ wmb levels?
You can use a command like "LEVEL" (or similar, I think in a *.wdl file with the same name as your main script.c) to make sure all entities included in those levels get published. I have something like that in my project where I create level names dynamically (like "level%d" with str_printf).

When you search the forum for publishing issues and the publish process in general you should get quite some results.
Posted By: JcI_the_second

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 08/28/15 12:04

What's happening if you put all your resources into one folder and then publish?
Did you use pro GS version? I ask beacuse I have similar problem five years ago in A7, and like Superku said you can try with LEVEL function load all files from map, or use BIND function to load single files.

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 08/28/15 20:59

Using LEVEL instruction didn't solve the problem. Putting all the files in one folder didn't solve it either frown ...

Btw, I wanna know something, while publishing, it says it can't open "cudart_32_30_9.dll" What is that file? Could it have a bad impact? ..
Posted By: rayp

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 08/28/15 21:03

Even if ure using PRAGMA_PATH extern Skin files for example must be in the same folder of your models. Bug, if i remeber right.

I dont know that DLL btw.

edit: Publishing is a nightmare, for my taste.
edit2: Once i had that prob too, but cant remember what caused it...sry
Posted By: JcI_the_second

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 08/29/15 22:28

I think cudart_32_30_9.dll is a part of Nvida driver, precisely for PhysX. Try update driver, but this will not solve problem with publishing. If you say the same thing happens when you put all the files in the root folder, it's really strange. Are you sure that these missing files are in the folder where is the EXE file?

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 08/30/15 16:24

Originally Posted By: JcI
If you say the same thing happens when you put all the files in the root folder, it's really strange.

No, it worked, sorry grin But I still want to find the cause of the problem because moving ALL the resource files into the work folder would take much time, especially when the game gets bigger. I can't really work on the game putting all the files in one folder as I want stuff to be organised ....
Posted By: Wjbender

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 08/30/15 16:31

does pragma_path work for publish ?

and another thing you can try is , make a copy of project , get into WED add your paths in wed ?

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 08/31/15 13:03

I added the path to the models folder in WED ,but it didn't solve the problem.

But there is something I wanna ask about. When I open the Presets tab in the path section, there are three letters written between {} brackets like: WDL or MDL in front of every path ,do they indicate what the folder contain or ? Because when I add the path to the models folder, it is WDL that's written in front of the path not MDL ....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 08/31/15 15:44

To directly answer the question they indicate either you are pointing to a single mdl file or a folder containing anything

from manual

http://www.conitec.net/beta/wed_presets.htm
Paths
Add Path Adds a new folder to the folder path. Subseqently, sound and entity files from that folder are available in the Add Object menu. The new folder is stored in a PATH statement in the WDL project file. This way the engine also gets access to the folder when running the script. A .c script must be set up in Map Properties for adding a folder.

http://www.conitec.net/beta/apath.htm
PATH "dirname";
All files belonging to the application - bitmaps, sounds, entities etc. - will be first searched for in the work folder and then in the folder given here.
Remarks:
Backslashes ("\") have to be given in C notation as double backslashes (like "C:\\games").
Paths will be searched in the given sequence. Paths are relative to the current work folder. In order to be able to copy your project to different locations, use relative paths for all files belonging to your project, and absolute paths for all files that are on an absolute location on your hard disk (like template scripts).
A7 If the path begins with "%EXE_DIR%", it's a subfolder of the program folder (like "%EXE_DIR%\\template_6\\models"). Apart from that, do not use special characters or spaces in your folder names.
Theoretically you can specify up to 32 PATH names, but it's better to stay well below that limit. Each folder is searched in sequence until a given file is found, so having lots of paths can remarkably increase the startup time.
LC Included scripts are not searched in the paths. They should be located in the work folder. Alternatively, their paths can be explicitely given in the #include statements or in PRAGMA_PATH statements.
LC At runtime paths can be added through add_folder().
Example (WDL):
PATH "files\\models"; // Searching for models also in the work subfolder "files\models"
See also:
BIND, LEVEL, PRAGMA_PATH, add_folder

USING the path command requires you to write a wdl script that holds the paths.

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 08/31/15 15:56

Quote:
Even if ure using PRAGMA_PATH extern Skin files for example must be in the same folder of your models. Bug, if i remeber right.

not a bug at all

It is the path inside the mdl file that points to the skin. When the engine loads the mdl, it grabs the path to the skin from the mdl file.

With fbx files you can have the same problem if a absolute path is written into the fbx file not a relative path.

IT was possible to load the fbx file into notepad and change the path to the skins, a pain in the ass but possible. I can not say if this can be done with mdl files. However there should be a way to edit mdls.

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 08/31/15 16:03

Quote:
Ok, so I tried to publish my project as a test ,but the models (or entities in general) are not published. When I start the game and the level is loaded, no entities appear at all, either models or sprites. I used #define PRAGMA_PATH to indicate the paths to the folders. I made a folder for models, a folder for sounds, a folder for levels ... etc.

What bothers me here is that you did not say anything about a error code.
If the engine attempted to load a entity but could not find it there would be a warning. However in a Publish run the warning would be muted, there is a way to turn back on the warnings. Also there is a way to run a publish in order to produce a log that might exactly tell you if the files are not found or if this is another issue
Posted By: sivan

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 09/01/15 05:00

I use a reverse logic for publishing, you might know, becaiuse I mentioned it earlier. I use a projectname.wdl containing several PATH statements, mainly because of wmb levels, but in project code I also create and use full relative path+filenames, which is fine for my custom dynamic level loading, and allows similar file names.
After publishing I simply copy the exe and dll-s to project root folder, and delete the CD folder. This way the development structure is kept, the game root folder is clean.

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 09/02/15 07:28

@sivan
I used your method and it worked ,but then I would have to delete all the editable stuff. I really prefer to publish my project in the normal method.

@Malice
Yes, I do get a warning but not with all entities, just two or three.

The problem is just with entities (models and sprites) I don't have terrains or map entities in the game.

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 09/02/15 17:30

Start with those warning ents - i assume "ent not found'

Check the code paths and the analyze what is the different about location and code for those ents.

If other ents are loaded and just these have and issue, then you have a logic to compare working ent loads to failing ent loads.

My assumption being that there must be a clear and obvious difference

Also because of your answer to Savin we are now sure it is not a bad ent or file, but in fact a bad location ref. I think i had this type of problem when I placed a wed ent then move the file to a new folder.

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 09/02/15 18:29

Now I'm rereading your post.

When all files are in the same folder, the engine do not use a path but instead does a default loading from executable folder
so I am questioning your use of the PRAGMA_PATH.

Can you post the actual code for the statements.

I Hate Hate HAte to be the RTFM guy again... But

A7.10 Looks for include and other files in the given path when they are not found in the current folder. This is similar to the PATH statement in a project file, with the exception that paths given by PRAGMA_PATH are also used for include files. Example:
#define PRAGMA_PATH "%EXE_DIR%\Map-Editor\Scripts";
Remarks
Paths will be searched in the given sequence. They are relative to the current work folder. In order to be able to copy your project to different locations, use relative paths for all files belonging to your project, and absolute paths for all files that are on an absolute location on your hard disk (like template scripts).
If the path begins with "%EXE_DIR%", it's a subfolder of the program folder (like "%EXE_DIR%\templates\images"). Apart from that, do not use special characters or spaces in your folder names.
Theoretically you can specify up to 32 PATH names, but it's better to stay well below that limit. Each folder is searched in sequence until a given file is found, so having lots of paths can increase the project startup time.
Quote:
PRAGMA_PATH is only evaluated during compilation. In a published project, all files are placed in the project folder by default. For using subfolders in a published project, either add them at runtime through add_folder(), or use a .wdl project file.

Paths can be read by external applications through the pPaths array.
Paths, just like variables, file or object names, must not contain spaces.

So for sure you need to use the PATH command and a wdl , correct?

Also are you in fact trying to get folders in the .cd folder, or are you trying to reach out of the .cd folder to the sub folder in the working folder?

Really am not trying to sound this way, you just provided little information, so I want to rule out all I can

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 09/02/15 18:42

Quote:
I added the path to the models folder in WED ,but it didn't solve the problem.

Did you also include the PATH commands in the wdl as the PATH instructions I posted above require.
And another question is this WDL in the published folder?
Also do the PATHs in the WDL still point to the correct place after the publishing (i.e. the .cd folder). If it is in fact in the .cd folder, please open it and examine the PATHs written in it.

The overview from the project section

Quote:
Project Settings

The project settings are not part of the script, but of the whole game project - like folders, paths, predefined command line parameters, and the startup behavior. They are defined in a .wdl file that contains keywords such as PATH, RESOURCE, WINDOW etc. that are described on the following pages. In the case of a lite-C project, the engine will look for an accompanying .wdl file with the same name (such a "main.wdl" if the main lite-C script has the name "main.c"), and read the project settings from it.

Anyways I'll jump off this thread. Superku, rayp, sivan, Wjbender, you have far better help in these pro's then I.

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 09/06/15 11:45

Why am I using this pathetic software anyway? It is so dead and useless ....

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 09/07/15 00:37

Ok post the project, maybe we can learn if this is a bug or you simply can not use older and simpler engines.
Posted By: NeoJones

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/12/15 20:33

Hi,
I have a big problem and I really dont know, whats the problem here.

So if I test the script in SED, it works fine. If I publish it and test the main.exe on my pc, it all works fine.
If my friend test my published main.exe (on his pc with exact the same files and folders) it dont work. His system is the same, and the video card driver is the newest. The engine window doesnt popup and the "wait" cursor is showing. In taskmanager there is three times "main.exe" ...?

Here is the complete code of my main.c:

Click to reveal..
Code:
//gs includes
#include <acknex.h>
#include <windows.h>
#include <default.c>

//including paths
#define PRAGMA_PATH "filme"
#define PRAGMA_PATH "pause"

//fonts
AddFontResource("exo_light.otf");
AddFontResource("exo_regular.otf");

FONT* exo_light = "exo_light#15";
FONT* exo_regular = "exo_regular#16";
FONT* exo_regular_big = "exo_regular#20";

//vars
var count_filme = 0;
var count_pause = 0;
var current_index = -1;
var mhandle = NULL;
var pause = 0;
var show_fn = 0;
VECTOR desktop_size;

//strings
STRING* count_filme_str = "";
STRING* nj_str = "Developed by NeoJones";

//bmaps
BMAP* nj_logo = "nj_logo.tga";

//text objects
TEXT* txt_label_filme = 
{
	string("Gefundene Filme (");
	pos_x = 30;
	pos_y = 30;
	font = exo_regular;
	size_x = 200;
	layer = 10;
}
TEXT* txt_filme = 
{
	strings = 100;
	pos_x = 30;
	pos_y = 60;
	font = exo_regular;
	layer = 10;
}
TEXT* txt_bilder_label = 
{
	string("Pausen-Standbild:");
	pos_x = 500;
	pos_y = 30;
	font = exo_regular;
	layer = 10;
}
TEXT* txt_bilder = 
{
	strings = 100;
	pos_x = 500;
	pos_y = 60;
	font = exo_regular;
	layer = 10;
}

TEXT* txt_message = 
{
	string("Bitte die Enter-Taste drücken, um den Play-Modus zu aktivieren");
	font = exo_regular_big;
	flags = CENTER_X;
}

//panels
PANEL* pause_pan =
{
  layer = 9;
}

PANEL* nj_logo_pan =
{
	digits(25,60, 5 ,exo_regular_big,1,nj_str);
	bmap = nj_logo;
  layer = 9;
  flags = CENTER_X;
}

function show_filenames()
{
	while(1)
	{
		//show or hide filenames on key_d
		if(key_d)
		{
			while (key_d == 1) { wait(1); }
			if(show_fn == 0)
			{
				show_fn = 1;
				set(txt_label_filme, SHOW);
				set(txt_filme, SHOW);
				set(txt_bilder_label, SHOW);
				set(txt_bilder, SHOW);
			}
			else
			{
				show_fn = 0;
				reset(txt_label_filme, SHOW);
				reset(txt_filme, SHOW);
				reset(txt_bilder_label, SHOW);
				reset(txt_bilder, SHOW);
			}
		}
		wait(1);
	}
}

function start()
{
	//search files in folder "filme"
	count_filme = txt_for_dir(txt_filme,"filme\\*.wmv"); 

//save the number of files as text
	str_for_num(count_filme_str,count_filme); 
	str_cat((txt_label_filme.pstring)[0], count_filme_str);
	str_cat((txt_label_filme.pstring)[0], "):");

//search images in folder "pause"
	count_pause = txt_for_dir(txt_bilder,"pause\\*.jpg"); 

// stop here, if no files in folder
	if(count_pause > 0 && count_filme > 0) 
	{
		STRING* tmp_str = "";
		var i;

//write each correct filename with foldername in string
		for(i = 0; i < count_filme; i++)
		{
			tmp_str = str_create("filme/");
			str_cat(tmp_str, (txt_filme.pstring)[i]);
			str_cpy((txt_filme.pstring)[i], tmp_str);
		}

tmp_str = str_create("pause/");
		str_cat(tmp_str, (txt_bilder.pstring)[0]);
		str_cpy((txt_bilder.pstring)[0], tmp_str);

str_cpy(tmp_str, (txt_bilder.pstring)[0]);
		BMAP* pause_bmap = bmap_create(tmp_str);

while(pause_bmap == NULL){wait(1);}
		pause_pan.bmap = pause_bmap;

//set correct panel sizes and positions
		pause_pan.scale_x = screen_size.x/bmap_width(pause_pan.bmap);
		pause_pan.scale_y = screen_size.y/bmap_height(pause_pan.bmap);
		txt_message.size_x = screen_size.x;
		txt_message.size_y = screen_size.y;
		txt_message.pos_x = screen_size.x/2;
		txt_message.pos_y = screen_size.y/2;
		nj_logo_pan.pos_x = (screen_size.x/2)-25;
		nj_logo_pan.pos_y = screen_size.y-120;

//show logo, message and wait for the enter key
		set(nj_logo_pan, SHOW);
		set(txt_message, SHOW);
		while (key_enter == 0) { wait(1); }

//show or hide correct panels and textobjects
		reset(txt_label_filme, SHOW);
		reset(txt_filme, SHOW);
		reset(txt_bilder_label, SHOW);
		reset(txt_bilder, SHOW);
		reset(txt_message, SHOW);
		reset(nj_logo_pan, SHOW);
		set(pause_pan, SHOW);

//wait, if enter is pressed
		while (key_enter == 1) { wait(1); }

while(1)
		{
			//play next movie on key enter
			if(key_enter)
			{
				while (key_enter == 1) { wait(1); }
				current_index++;
				if(current_index == count_filme)
				{
					current_index = 0;
				}
				reset(pause_pan, SHOW);
				media_stop(mhandle);
				mhandle = media_play((txt_filme.pstring)[current_index],NULL,100);
			}

//play or pause the movie on key space and show or hide the pause image
			if(key_space)
			{
				while (key_space == 1) { wait(1); }
				if(media_playing(mhandle) != 0)
				{
					if(pause == 0)
					{
						pause = 1;
						set(pause_pan, SHOW);
						media_pause(mhandle);
					}
					else
					{
						pause = 0;
						reset(pause_pan, SHOW);
						media_start(mhandle);
					}
				}
			}

//restart current movie 
			if(key_bksp)
			{
				while (key_bksp == 1) { wait(1); }
				media_stop(mhandle);
				mhandle = media_play((txt_filme.pstring)[current_index],NULL,100);
			}

//show pause image after playing a movie
			if(pause == 0 && media_playing(mhandle) == 0)
			{
				set(pause_pan, SHOW);
			}
			wait(1);
		}
	}
}

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

function main()
{
	//standart optionen setzen
	fps_max = 60;
	text_outline = 30;		
	sky_color.red = 1;
	sky_color.green = 1;
	sky_color.blue = 1;

//desktopauflösung ermitteln
	desktop_size.x = sys_metrics(0);
	desktop_size.y = sys_metrics(1);

//auf ermittelte oder gespeicherte auflösung umschalten
	video_set(desktop_size.x,desktop_size.y,0,1);
	wait(2);

//start functions
	start();
	show_filenames();
}

Can it be, that i have problems with my script why it doesnt work on his pc?
I really dont know...

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/12/15 21:00

Is your friend using Windows 10?

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/12/15 21:20

Originally Posted By: Superku
Is your friend using Windows 10?

No, he is using windows 7, 64 bit. Do you have any problems with this script, too? (if you publish this script?)
Posted By: FBL

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/12/15 21:56

Code:
	desktop_size.x = sys_metrics(0);
	desktop_size.y = sys_metrics(1);

video_set(desktop_size.x,desktop_size.y,0,1);

We had some strange effects with resolution setting via sys_metrics.
Usually this is not a problem at all, but maybe replace it with video_mode = 12; for testing if this is causing the problem.

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/13/15 00:58

Uh okay, thanks. It always worked without any problems on my pc. I test it without sys_metrics on his pc next monday. He's away at the weekend.

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/16/15 16:31

So, I have tested it without sys_metrics and it dont work. cry
Code:
//desktop_size.x = sys_metrics(0);
//desktop_size.y = sys_metrics(1);

//video_set(desktop_size.x,desktop_size.y,0,1);

video_mode = 12;
video_screen = 1; // start in fullscreen
wait(2);

Also I have installed GameStudio on his pc and test it. You dont believe it: It works! (If I start it with SED). But after publish, it always dont work.
This is really not motivating when I imagine, I program a big game and it did not even start at the end or if I publish.
I really dont know whats the problem here, please help...
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/16/15 20:41

Try removing media_play and see if that helps. I have similar problem with one of my projects that I can't play on a desktop; the game freezes as soon as the music plays through media play (atleast I suspect that is it, have to double check that, could also be some other sound or something with level load).

If that is indeed the problem, perhaps altering the music file or use snd_play. Don't quote me on that though, I am a newbie when it comes to sound/music stuff.

-edit, if that doesn't work try commenting lines or blocks until the published project works. Or e.g. add long waits at several spots that you suspect that the problem is. Also check if warn_level is on.

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/16/15 21:03

Thanks Reconnoiter, I try that

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/16/15 22:54

I have had issue with some d3dx....dll not being bind to the publish. It runs in sed but the publish didn't get the dll. So I had to manually move it into the .cd folder. It pointed a error on the start screen, but loaded and crashed. But I can no longer repeat this error, may be fixed in last update.

Just because I have cover bases - when you publish, you get a *.exe in the work folder and one in the .cd folder. Not sure why there is one in the work folder, but it never works.. Make sure you are running it out of the .cd folder.

Further I may be wrong but check this note from STRING
Quote:
Special characters within a string must be preceded by a '\': \n - Line feed; \\ - Backslash; \" - Quotation mark.

You code you seem to reverse this
Code:
//write each correct filename with foldername in string
		for(i = 0; i < count_filme; i++)
		{
			tmp_str = str_create("filme/");

Needed A bad name in media instructions, damages file, corruptor missing codec, wrong container format(Does it still have to be box in a VFW ?), all could be a cause.

Further - app locked by security or AV programs ( we are doing all possibilities)

Curious - What is the behavior and status of the *.exe in windows task manager when run. - i.e "not responding", hogs cpu or ram, cause huge jumps in hdd read times? Or worse doesn't even pop up in Win task manager ?
EDIT - old or bad reg keys, as it's using the media player...Why not throw that out there
EDIT2 -
Quote:
But after publish, it always dont work.
This is really not motivating when I imagine, I program a big game and it did not even start at the end or if I publish.

Really need more than "it didn't work", get a start screen? Get a crash w/error get a crash w/oError?

Also have you run it with the log file commandline ?

ok ok , I'm done.
edit3-
Quote:
We had some strange effects with resolution setting via sys_metrics.
Usually this is not a problem at all, but maybe replace it with video_mode = 12; for testing if this is causing the problem.

Try it in widow mode video_set(.....,2);
Ok that's my once over
Mal

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/16/15 23:35

Can I note that I never have this issue, but every month someone has problems with a published build. Sure I get the black-screen of dead when I make a endless loop, but win task manger points them out with "Not responding" and allows me to close it(Never test a publish in fullscreen till it passes windows mode).
But what really gets me is this ghost crash behavior people report, it doesn't show up in the task manager, really? It doesn't throw a error message, ok sometime. It doesn't record anything in the log file, well that's hit or miss.Warn_level makes no difference? But the big one I can not believe, - No information about the app lunch or crash is record in the Windows Event system??? Really?
Truly a ghost app with ghost crashes... Scary

Well hope I never have this issue, here's hoping for another decade without this problem.
Mal

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/17/15 10:24

Quote:
Further - app locked by security or AV programs ( we are doing all possibilities)
, to add to this windows security sometimes that this to, but they ofcourse show a block/unblock window than. While an anti virus program doesn't always do that.

Quote:
it doesn't show up in the task manager, really?
, perhaps they forgot to click 'run/view as administrator' for task manager and that gs3d is for some reason runs as a background proces?
No idea though just writing words now that pop up in my head. grin

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/17/15 23:30

Problem solved.
I tested only the published .exe on his laptop with the original main script and it all works fine. Its a problem with his graphics card or driver on his pc.
For this reason I could change what I wanted. It always crashed and it was not a problem with "sys_metrics" or "media_play".

But many thanks to all answers. laugh

Best regards,
NJ

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/18/15 02:30

You said it was a newer and more power G-card. If you could can we know what g-card and more about the issues. It would be good to know if there is a g-card with 3gds conflicts

Mal

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/18/15 18:14

Agree with Malice, would be interesting to know what the card is. One I only know is with a few ATI cards that can overheat, but that is not instantly and be solved by setting fps_max.

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/19/15 08:03

Yes of course, I ask him today. I believe it was a nvidia gforce card. But he told me, that he has some problems, bluescreen or something else with his pc.
His pc is very crazy grin

Its very strange, cause he can play movies or we connect with teamviewer. No problems at all, but if he opened the published exe, than it crashed (It dont crashed with SED).

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/19/15 08:36

The only time I had these issues was
1) V-card and ati stop making a driver (2003)? Due to poor sales of the model
2) V-card , later, was failing as a device
3) V-Card , ( a friend) was not fully in the motherboard slot, (again 2002-2004, maybe)

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/19/15 08:50

Did he update his graphics AND direct X drivers?
Posted By: Wjbender

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/19/15 09:44

doesn't even sound like only graphics related , if he gets the blue screen of death , it means a serious problem occurred with his software/hardware , he needs to focus on fixing his windows install first then see what happens , after that focus on drivers then hardware .

I doubt it's a driver only thing .

beware of overclocking memmory and such .

Re: Test publish critical problem! - 11/19/15 19:22

Originally Posted By: Superku
Did he update his graphics AND direct X drivers?

Uhh I dont know if the direct x drivers are the newest, but graphic card driver is ok.

So his graphics card is a "Nvidia Geforce 8500 GT". Not the newest, but he will buy a new pc next time.
© 2024 lite-C Forums