Weapon shoot...

Posted By: Silent_Assassin

Weapon shoot... - 11/19/06 07:49

Hey,

I have a weapon...but im having trouble trying to get it to shoot...i also have an animation for the weapon that i need to play everytime it shoots..could someone please help me with this..

and also while im here how many poly's should a weapon be roughly ?
Posted By: EpsiloN

Re: Weapon shoot... - 11/19/06 15:10

There are many ways to make a weapon shoot...you can use trace or models(bullets). It also depends on what type of game are you making...animation in first person or 3-rd person...

Re: Weapon shoot... - 11/19/06 20:44

oh guess i forgot to mention that haha

the game i am making is in first person...what would be best to use trace or model ?
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Weapon shoot... - 11/19/06 21:18

That depends.
If you want a more "realistic" behaviour a model (bullet) methode would be the way to go.
E.g. a sniper shot wouldnt instantly hit, even if the target is 3000 meters away.

If your going for a fast paced action blow everything up game the trace methode would work.

So its basicly up to you to decide which methodes fits your game most.

Re: Weapon shoot... - 11/20/06 06:54

well i guess the bullet model would be the way to go for me

ummm now how do i do it lol
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Weapon shoot... - 11/20/06 12:08

lol
Ok I can think of two different ways for the model thing:
- calculate a position infront of the player (center of the screen => vec_for_screen) and create (ent_create) a bullet there which will move with a certain speed

- calculate two positions: one far distance to the player and one at the gun's muzzle.
Now trace from the camera coordinates to the position far away from the player, then create the bullet at the gun's muzzle and turn it towards that position and let it fly

I'm sure there are other ways.
The first way I mentioned is quick and works, but the bullets do not fly from the gun towards where the crosshair aims.
So the second way is a bit more "realistic", nearly as "realistic" as ballistic can be in games

Re: Weapon shoot... - 11/20/06 23:12

i guess its just a matter is what is easier for someone of my level...coding isnt my strong point, im only learning as i go along so everything you just said went right over my head (i know what your saying though)..i may be asking for a bit much..but how would this be in code and also to play an animation on left click

Re: Weapon shoot... - 11/21/06 20:37

hello...anyone there? lol

(sorry for double posting but i dont think i would get an answer if i dont)

EDIT: also how many polys should a weapon be roughly (good quality, so not low poly hehe) ?
Posted By: nipx

Re: Weapon shoot... - 11/23/06 20:27

Quote:

EDIT: also how many polys should a weapon be roughly (good quality, so not low poly hehe) ?

==>> Get "Angle (Angel? ) Of Attack" demo. Its in the Showcase I.

A few pretty good weapons are in there, so check it.

nipx

Re: Weapon shoot... - 11/24/06 13:10

well i think the download link is broken or something cus i cant download it. And plus it still doesnt quite answer my question lol

too make it easier.. what would it be in like a range so something like for good quality weapons for a proffessional game

light = 900-1100
medium = 1300 - 1500
heavy = 1500 - 1700

something like that (thats just an example)
© 2024 lite-C Forums