Rename 3D GameStudio?

Posted By: Superku

Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 00:41

Even though 3D GameStudio describes exactly what this product is, I think gamestudio sounds and looks way cooler. Additionally, you can create two dimensional games with 3DGS, too. What do you think?
And oh yes, I forgot the option "Who cares?"...
Posted By: achaziel

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 01:38

Why should we stick with gamestudio? It has such an amateur-ish vibe to it, I can't help it... "Acknex 8" sounds better, for example. IMHO.
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 02:42

I agree with Achaziel, Acknex8 does sound much better than either poll names...
Posted By: Slin

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 05:35

It is actually called Gamestudio for quite some years. Without 3D...
Posted By: 3run

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 06:37

I think gamestudio is good enough, but we better care about improving the engine..
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 09:16

Acknex might sound ok for Germans or Scandinavians but I think it sounds very hard and strange for the rest of the world. Just think about other languages like Spanish, Italian, English and so on. They dont use such hard sounding words with k or ck in the middle. I think this even sounds not good in German, it sounds like a skin disease (Akne in German, acne in English).
Posted By: alibaba

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 10:47

agreed grin
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 11:31

The name is as pretty as the homepage, so it fits together.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 12:25

officially it already is called gamestudio without 3d. look around on the homepage. i guess they just couldn't get the com domain without 3d.

it's the same with unity. it also is called unity without 3d. having 3d in the name has become very uncool. laugh

i agree with frank. acknex is a really ugly name. maybe they should just call it a8 engine or something like that (but isn't there a car with that name?).
Posted By: old_bill

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 12:57

A8 is a protected term by Audi for a car series.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 13:18

Protected names like A8 do not apply on other businesses not involved in cars whatsoever.

They need the "3D" suffix to excuse themselves of refraining from improving the 2D part tongue.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 13:33

Acknex actually stands for something like

Animation Creation Kit NEXt generation?

but still i think Acknex 8 is a cool name.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 13:47

i think it's actor construction kit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actor_model
it comes from the actor programming model (possible with wait() in gamestudio).

and wouldn't it have to be next next next next next next next next next generation now? laugh

acknex is not a good name. in almost every regard. not just the ugly pronunciation.

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 14:17

3D Game Studio: sounds like a Toyprogram for Hobbyprogrammers from the 90s, ("Homepagemaker 2000")

Acknex: a really artificial name with an unpleasent pronounciations

Lite-C : could be the name of a weightloss fruit-drink, should
not be the name of the main product (as a modulename its ok)

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 14:56

What about TUSC grin
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 15:02

Originally Posted By: alibaba
What about TUSC grin
No, no, NOOOOOOO!!!! smile
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 15:08

GS8

and go with it. that way you can keep the unofficial gamestudio for all newbs and still have a cool sounding name...
Posted By: RealSerious3D

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 15:14

This topic, in one form or fashion, comes up from time to time here at the forum. But there are a few things to consider. One thing is that this game development platform has been called GameStudio or 3D GameStudio for over a decade! Whether anyone likes the name or not, there are literally years of name brand recognition attached to GameStudio. Other game development suites have come and gone. Some are still around attempting to slug it out. But GameStudio (known by that name) is still here. Changing the name would undermine years and years of name brand recognition.

In the business world, changing the name of a product that has been around for a while usually spells disaster. It indicates that there are issues with the product. And no matter how enticing the new name is, it may turn off people, causing them to wonder what the real issue is with the product ("Should I purchase this product? After all, they are going down the tubes, aren't they?"). Rebranding is a difficult thing to do and, for the most part, should only be done in serious situations.

GameStudio is a good name (imo). It accurately describes the product. Despite what some people have said, I don't believe it sounds amateurish at all. When I think if a "studio" I think of a place where work gets done, where creative ideas are released to become reality. In the case of GameStudio, it is a studio where work gets done and creative ideas become reality within a real-time 3D framework. The name works. It conveys just what the product is. And, as pointed out, GameStudio has a years old reputation that has withstood the test of time.

Lastly, in the end the name of the suite of tools used makes little difference. People will judge the game or application that is created and if it is good they won't care about the tool used. In other words, a great game or application will not be diminished simply because it was created with a tool whose name is "GameStudio." On the flip side, a terrible game will not somehow become better because the development suite has a really cool name! wink

Having said that, my vote goes for TUSC!

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 15:17

Quote:
GS8

and go with it. that way you can keep the unofficial gamestudio for all newbs and still have a cool sounding name...

The problem with a name like GS8 is that you have to keep changing the name with each new version ... GS9 ... GS10 ... GS153.2 ...

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 15:28

Consumers dont care (much) about the engine name.

But the name becomes a problem when moving to a publisher / financier.
Its not signaling a positive factor to trusting the developer.
(it can signal: ok that guy obviously comes from the hobby scene)
The same as if the developer would suggest to make a game
in Visual Basic. (no matter how well the product works after all)

Its all about psychology.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 16:12

IMO, the name is no problem.
Your knowhow to get in contact of a publisher and to convince him to take a look at your demo - that's the first step.
The second step is to convince him that you have a good and reliable team that delivers the required quality in time.
If you managed that, the engine doesn't matter at all - as long as its for PC only.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 16:21

Originally Posted By: Slin
It is actually called Gamestudio for quite some years. Without 3D...

You're right, I've never before noticed that.
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 17:11

Gamestudio is called gamestudio because one of its primary features is that it comes with everything you need to build a 3D game (in contrast with other engines, which come with nothing but an engine and a script editor).

Acknex is a cool name (indeed one that's used by the actual engine) but in my mind it fails to emphasize this core feature.

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 17:15

name does not have to do anything with features. Unreal engine is not named unreal because it's unreal. Or other engines Torque,Shiva,Unity none of the names suggests anything about the feautres. Also except for model editor, most engines come with nice level editors these days.
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 17:24

Okay, lets look at the names of competitors. Torque, Unity, Unreal, etc.
They all have one thing in common: The letter 'u'. So what Gamestudio needs is a 'u' in its name, so what about... GamestUdio?
Sounds really cool imo.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 17:26

Or Ulillillia.

Jibb

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 17:48

someone was saying acknex was hard to pronunce? oh, no one?

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 17:49

Or waht about oidutsemag d3 or without d3.
Just spelled backwards grin
Posted By: Joey

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 17:59

I'm for oidutsemag.
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 18:02

Yep.

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 19:24

Quote:
name does not have to do anything with features. Unreal engine is not named unreal because it's unreal. Or other engines Torque,Shiva,Unity none of the names suggests anything about the feautres. Also except for model editor, most engines come with nice level editors these days.

True. However, names normally convey some concept. Torque deals with force. Shiva, the Destroyer or Transformer of the universe. Unity, a bringing together of many things into one. And, so, in some form or fashion, these names do, to some degree, attempt to describe the engine or game creation suite in some creative way. Conitec chose a less creative and more straightforward way to do so with GameStudio. GameStudio itself does not have anything to do with "features" per se, but does give a deep impression of what the suite of tools is.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 19:59

Isn't XNA also called gamestudio? And it is mainly a programming SDK.

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/14/11 20:18

Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
Isn't XNA also called gamestudio? And it is mainly a programming SDK.

It's called XNA Game Studio (see the space?). That is, technically, different from GameStudio (no space). wink
Posted By: FBL

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/15/11 00:02

OFGCK

(old-fashioned game construction kit)

grin
Posted By: Guardian

Re: Rename 3D GameStudio? - 01/15/11 02:06

How about, AX, as the new name. That way you keep the iteration and have a new nickname "Axe" And the company keeps its underlying name which keeps its business interests satisfied. Win win, everybody’s happy. laugh

Guardian
© 2024 lite-C Forums