Sci-Fi Series

Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 15:33

So, I've been pondering lately again if I should watch BSG for the third time as I'm craving for some good Sci-Fi-Space Series again, but I've postponed that decision until maybe I can get some good recommendations here.

So far I have watched:

Red Dwarf (Hilarious!)
Andromeda (Started out good, but got too cheesy towards the end)
Babylon 5 (Had to get through the first season, but after that it unfolded like a butterfly from it's cocoon)
Battlestar Galactica (The Reimagined series, love it)
Caprica (Still airing, but I LOVE it)
ST: Enterprise (Dunno why people hate it, I liked it)
ST: Voyager
ST: TNG (Only half of season 1 so far, I just cant get myself to like Picard this early in the series)
Doctor Who (well, if theres someone on this planet who doesn't like it, point him out to me please)
Farscape (Cross my heart, strike me dead, put a lobster on my head.)
Lexx (I liked the first Zev better, but an awesome series nontheless, refreshing from all the others. But with the water and fire planet season it got a bit boring)
Stargate SG1 (My father watches this EVERY week for almost 6 years now, so yeah, I like it)
Stargate Atlantis (Love rodney, got kinda fangirlish-squeeey when jewel staite joined the show)
Stargate Universe (Airing, Love the Chloe and Eli chemistry)
Firefly (If you dislike this series, I will personally come and introduce your ass to my foot)
Cleopatra 2525 (WAY too much cheese)
Earth Final Conflict (On hold mid-season 2, got a bit boring)

Well, if you have any recommendations what might fit my viewing pleasure please let me know. As long as there's spaceships, robots and/or laz0rz in it, I'm all good. If there's good humor and a good storyline behind it, I might just love your to bits for recommending me it.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 15:39

if you are up to "interactively" watching, it play mass effect 1&2

me2 is better than me1 but if you play me1 before playing me2 it gets even more better.(you get to know the crew in me1 which you encounter several times in me2, without knowing their back story in me1, iam guessing the story in me2 would feel kinda incomplete. Also your decisions and love interest from me1 gets transferred to me2.use your me1 savegame so you do not have to play with default decisions.)

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 15:39

Originally Posted By: Quadraxas
if you are up to "interactively" watching, it play mass effect 1&2

Already played both of them about 4 times each wink
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 16:03

Andromeda is about the worst Scifi cheese i know.

The one i like currently the most is Stargate Universe.
Especially the character Rush
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 16:08

You want real retro evils smelly cheeze?

Try to track down "Dark Star"...

You'll hate me for it...

But Ive no good suggestions,
youve pretty much covered all sci-fi worth watching,
IMO...

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 16:14

Dark Star sounds interesting, most of the time Budget series always make up for the cheap looks with other stuff (like Red Dwarf, incredibly cheap but the humor makes up for it... AND THE CREDITS SONG OH MY GOD THE CREDITS SONG, I CANT GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD)
Posted By: Toast

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 16:35

I like the original Mobile Suit Gundam anime. It's really old and the visuals aren't that good because of it but it's still worth a look and also featuring a story and not just random episodes like for the standard children series. The short series Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory also is pretty good...

I don't like most of the recent offsprings of the Gundam series as things often get really "kiddified"...

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 17:23

[belated edit] DarkStar is a one-off movie, not a series.

I wish you hadnt said that about the Red Dwarf credits....
I havent watched in in more than a year,
but the song is playing in my head now too, smeg it!

Posted By: Quad

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 17:26

link to that song please?

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 17:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZFLKXINNns

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 17:48

THIS is apparently a remix, but it sounds right to me,
AND it still has the lyrics included...
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 18:08

Andromeda - this series is a bit strange (characters, story, names).
Quote:
(Started out good, but got too cheesy towards the end)
agree, but i like it (especially harper). itīs not like other sci-fi-series.
Star Trek Enterprise (the series from 2001-2005) - i dont hate it, but its also not my favorite. its ok, better than many other series...
Stargate SG1 - my favorite! but since richard dean anderson left the series it got worse. i love this character and the strange episodes of the first seasons.
Stargate Atlantis - RODNEY! love this guy laugh
Stargate Universe - its too "dark" for my taste. too much millitary. itīs like an action-series with a stargate. but anyway some good characters like eli and rush.

i dont like series with much scrap for obedience or episodes overloaded with fights. i want to see a science-based series with different types of actors like
- a crazy one (especially a scientist)
- a hot woman
- a guy that keeps simple
- other types like a strange man or a lover
all mixed in a well figured-out story with many funny parts and explainable by science (i hope you understand, the german version is "wissenschaftlich erklärbar")

to sum it up - i want the same like in videogames: a good story with versatile characters and not the greatest graphics or battle
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 18:50

i also liked enterprise. contrary to voyager i found the crew very likeable. it got better and better and then they cancelled it.

another science fiction series i liked was the sarah connor chronicles. tongue ok, i kind of disliked sarah connor, there were some pretty bad episodes, often it dragged on too much but summer glau as terminator was funny. shirley manson was an interesting character too in the second season. it also got cancelled when it started to get interesting...

dark star? john carpenter's graduation movie? it's not a series but awesome. laugh

i don't gets what's supposed to be great about stargate.
Posted By: VPrime

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 19:44

There is a show called "Eureka" (also an unrelated anime.. which is also good wink )
very good. It is not your traditional scifi. Takes place in a small town of scientists which are contracted for the DOD and things just go wrong... PRetty good and lots of humor.

Another show.. Actually mini series is "The Lost Room". It doesn't have robots.. doesn't have space ships... bits of humor. The acting is a bit sucky.. But the story, and the concept is Amaaazzzzing!

I agree with ventilator about Sarah Connor Chronicals.. It is pretty entreating, and the last episode in the series is really cool!
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 20:27

Warehouse 13!!!!! great show, with many references to comics, games and other nerd things, and great steam punk equipment (what else do i have to say, watch it)
there is also two cross episodes with Eureka, but its totally different.

Chuck, ok not scifi, but action/spy/comedy, i love it

Torchwood, if you like Dr. Who you will love it, though the first season is shit, but the third one is the best mini-season i've ever seen

V, its a remake of an old show, sometime to much USAUSAUSA (sorry guys) for me but still good

Flash Gordon 2007, yes they made a remake, can't recommend it (also got canceled after one season), but if you can't find any new stuff....

Fringe, fbi agent thingy with mysterious parallel worlds

Sanctuary, about 'monsters' and other stuff, with amanda tapping (stargate sg1)

Misfits, some teenagers get some 'super' powers, not what you expect

Primeval, dinosaur from the past etc

Hereos, humans with super powers, has some good and some bad seasons

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 20:51

a few years ago there was a little series loosely based on stanislaw lem's "the star diaries" on german tv.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5937462341574931804#

edit:
wow, they even have solaris and stalker on google video. maybe sowjet films are now public domain or so. tongue

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3370449932379913979#
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4947870279914964017#

they are masterpieces but maybe a bit too slow for today's audiences.
Posted By: Hummel

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/06/10 22:05

there is no more epic Scifi stuff than BSG out there...
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/07/10 12:49

FIREFLY /SERENITY
Dollhouse
LOST (Seriously)
Dark Angel

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/07/10 15:55

i liked the island mystery of lost but the plots often were so stupid and the characters behaviour often so unrealistic. i always had the suspicion that the authors had no overall idea but just made up stuff as they went along. it turned out to be true. the end was lame beyond my worst fears. the show dragged on and on for nothing. a huge waste of time. tongue
Posted By: Hummel

Re: Sci-Fi Series - 10/07/10 18:48

..argh right, I nearly forgot about the firefly -.o
but Spielbergīs 'Taken' is also great due to itīs intelligent story and unique characteristics.
© 2024 lite-C Forums