Posted By: Redeemer

Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/17/10 16:02

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the 5th episode of the weekly forum poll,

In this game, two randomly chosen contestants wage a war of non-wit in a contest to determine who has the greatest forum avatar. The rules are simple: every forum member, including the contestants, have the ability to vote for their favorite avatar. After three days of voting, the contest will end, and forum goers will have the ability to see who won this week's Avatar Wars Contest!

This week's avatar war will start on February 21st, 2010, and will end exactly 3 days later on February 23rd, 2010. During that time, contestants may promote themselves, bribe voters, trash talk opponents, and otherwise carry out whatever (non-lethal) action it takes to win the contest, besides the following:

Users may not hack or sniff incoming forum packets (obviously)
AND
Contestants may not change their avatars during the contest

Now, for your contestants....

ROUND 5:

VS.
Rondidon versus Captain_Kiyaku!
WHO WILL WIN???

Avatar Wars is brought to you by forum user "Redeemer". Any questions or comments regarding the Avatar Wars ideas should be forwarded to him in a PM.

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/17/10 16:03

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who remember the old Keen games and love 'em like I do. Rondidon seems like a perfect match to Captain_Kiyaku wink
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/17/10 16:23

I love the Commander Keen series, but Kiyaku's avatar is awesome!

EDIT: Thanks for reminding me, gotta search for some of Commander Keen's games in Steam.
Posted By: msmith2468

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/17/10 16:32

im voteing for the captin.
not sure what the other one is never heard of him

Posted By: Rondidon

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/17/10 17:03

Vote for me! Because... my avatar isn`t just an avatar, but has an extraordinary background story!

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/17/10 17:06

how bout this.
you explain your back ground history and i may reconsider my decision

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/17/10 17:51

my background story...

My enthusiasm for playing computer games awoke very early when I was 4 or 5 years old. We had a 16 MHZ 256 IBM PC with MS-DOS and GEM as graphical environment and a few games on it. Besides the first Duke Nukems, Flight Simulator 3 and a few other great cool old DOS games we had the whole Commander Keen Saga from ID Software, wonderful games. I`ve never played a better platformer until now and am sometimes still playing the new Steam version of Commander Keen these days.
Few years later in 1998 the first Unreal from Epic Megagames was released which should change my sense for game design. I (as a ten years old guy not speaking even one single English word besides "hello", "goodbye" and "start new game" ^^) learned how to create own levels in the UnrealEd and created my own map pack which my dumb brother deleted two years later by formatting the hard drive. I almost killed him back then grin . CD burners cost 300$ in that time, USB sticks weren`t even on the market, so I`ve got no backups of my first tries in game design.
Back then I dreamed of creating my completly own game, no mod, but programming everything by myself. From an advertisment of Acknex 3 in a German PC magazine ("Gamestar") I knew the 3D Gamestudio, but it was way too expensive for me.

So, in 2001, I tried to learn C and, in about 2 or 3 days, programmed my first game ever, a text-based quiz game called Quiz!. Then, in November 2001, I was at a computer software exhibition and made the steal of my life: I bought the brand-new 3D Gamestudio A5 Extra Edition as a second hand product for just 39DM / 20$ instead of 199DM / 110$!!

From that moment on I started developing games in Gamestudio first built upon the A5 templates, later from about 2003 on I scripted mainly by myself. In 2005 I showed a little 3D shooter called "Nightfall" in the style of the first Unreal at a German independent game developer meeting called "Dusmania". Watching at the projects of the other developers I decided to stop that project and began a new one in the style of Unreal Tournament 99: Adrenaline. And that`s what I`m still doing today. First written in WDL, then in C-Script and now in Lite-C the project is doing advantages and I`m looking forward to a release in September of this year.

Now it`s your turn, Captain_Kiyaku wink

Edit: This is my 500th post! grin

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/17/10 18:33

I really like your story, looks like I'll vote for you tongue

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/17/10 19:58

That was very compelling but I must here the captins story before I make a decision.
The screen shots are good
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/17/10 21:38

I thought your background story is about the picture itself, not about you tongue
Okay if you wanna here my story, here we go:

As Rondidon, i loved playing games when i was a little kid. I started playing games when i was like 8 (before i just played with Lego hehe) and i only played them at my neighbours place cause we had nothing to game on.
We started and went through commodore, atari and gameboy.
After a while, my parents got my sister and me a NES. Loved to play games on it (though they were kinda hard for me back then). And my sister and i always argued about who is playing next so my parents took away the NES and sold it :<.
After that, they tried it again with a SNES, same prob. Then Sega GENESIS, same prob. So we end up having no consoles anymore and i had to play at my neighbours house again hehe.

When my dad got his first computer, it was an Intel 486 and we had games like Woodruff. That was the time were adventure games started to impress me.
I think at christmas 1999 i got my own PC with a bunch of adventure games (Orion Burger, Sam and Max, Monkey Island 1+2, etc). I loved them so much and i got many new ideas for different adventures. I also started putting random stuff into my school back, you never know when you could use it lol.

The first time i started to do anything with gamedesign, was in 2000, i was 13 and i found a Pinball Maker and spent many hours with it.
But it wasn't enough for me so i looked into other stuff. I found the RPGMaker and spent like 2 years with it.

But again, i wanted more so i checked out online what other gameengines are out there. I somehow found 3DGameStudio and the name made me think "hm it might be easy to make games with that".
So yeah, 2002, got my A5 Commercial as birthday gift and started playing around with it. I think that was also the time when i registered here. I was 15 back then and when you check out my first posts, it's so embarrasing lol.

Anyway, i first only made levels, i didn't know anything about programing (just some simple script languages or HTML).
I wanted to make a contest game, a bomberman clone with a little dragon called Gonrad. So i was looking for many people who wants to join (like the typical noob job posting threads you found nowadays).
We ended up with 12 people in total and even had a very talented graphicartist i found in the GIGA Chat, who also did Textures for Gothic (Freelancer). I am still impressed by his work.

We finished the game at 11:59:59 (i sent the email then) and timelimit was till 12:00. So it was close hehe but i guess noone would ever have cared if it took a few mins longer.
Well we didn't win, i forgot if we even got mentioned. But it was a fun time, we worked so hard on everything and were successful (we finished the game).

After that i spent years working on my "dream" project DragonsNight (back then called DragonForce). I only did that with another guy called Jailbreaker, dunno if someone knows him.
He was programming, i did the level design. But the programming part got too much for him so i started to learn scripting in WDL. It took me like 10 times doing the scripting tutorials to ever understand programming lol.

Well after a few years we cancelled the project. Maybe i have some ugly screenshots lying around so i could post. Have to check my old backups.

Then i started working on different projects. Some for myself, prototypes, Irion for IceBytes, etc pp. I always tried to make the games to be normal, nothing special cause i thought it would appeal more people then. But i failed hehe.
So i once was like "you know what? i dont care what people think about my games, i want to make a game that I like, wether you call it a game or not".
So that was the first time i made Angelas World.

Then only spent time working on Angelas World 2 and a Mafia Game to try out some multiplayer stuff.

So the next part will probably make me look bad in many people so they won't vote for me hehe. I got tired of 3DGS (when A7 came out) so i tried different engines like OGRE, Torque, and Unity. So i finally stick with Unity now but as you know, it's not possible to get away from the 3DGS Forum tongue

Well that's it. Nothing special, just me.

EDIT:
Found some Screenshots on my webserver:

There are more screens form other stuff here too:
Leveldesign
Other Stuff

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/17/10 22:28

Your first thread wasn't that bad. (Problem with updating, yeah I use a translator grin )

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/17/10 22:32

Yeah but the way i am talking is kinda "childish" lol.

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/17/10 22:35

I agree about that grin

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/18/10 14:36

I'm still voting for Commander Keen... I mean Rondidon wink

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/18/10 14:38

Whoops! Looks like this contest is going to begin and end late. I messed up the start/stop times when creating the poll.

Also sorry for the double post. tongue

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/18/10 16:17

yes captin i origionally meant the back ground history of the avatar. but the back ground history of both of your gameing experiences was fun to read any ways. and makes for a very tough decision. it dose remind me we are all here for the same reason though. to create videogames!!
but now for my vote. and this is a tough decision.
my vote goes to ............ Rondidon
but good luck to you both

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/18/10 18:50

@Captain: Your first posts are very funny grin
But, well, mine weren`t that better. I was asking "how to create clever AI with pathfinding elements". People were very kind, HeelX (still here in the forum I think) explained me very detailed the functionality of AI systems, but I as a complete noob didnt even understand him ^^ Well, I was 14 and searching for a one-liner giving me a perfect AI like in Unreal or Half-Life. Nowdays I`m very happy that there was no AI solution like IntenseX on the market back then. I would never have learned how to program and maybe would click together my games until today... it`s kinda embarrassing to look at that eraly posts laugh

You are living in Canada now, Captain? Why have you left good old Germany?
I know that I`m maybe too snoopy... laugh

Posted By: mikaldinho

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/18/10 18:51

kiyaku kiyaku
Posted By: Helghast

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/18/10 20:11

Sorry Sven, I love your avatar, and I was the one that brought you into this challenge...
But commander Keen will win this fight for me anytime, I still found Floppy disks with the orignal game on it last week when unpacking my stuff at my new house!

Rondidon, you're my personal hero for that avatar, no way even my lazorz can beat you!
Posted By: Error014

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/18/10 20:18

Quote:
I was 15 back then and when you check out my first posts, it's so embarrasing lol.

Actually, your first post might be the most amazing thread ever, for it is full or hilarious glory. And also, anger. Lots and lots of sweet anger and hate

There should be a "My first post"-thread. In which then many people write "My first post is lost due do the forumchange occuring later" (which is also the reason my first post - at least the one I remember being my first - cannot be found), and then other people link to their first post, which was posted a little less than a week ago. That sounds like fun!

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/18/10 20:28

Quote:
Captain: Ich dachte man könnte im Forum von 3DGS nur vernünftige Leute finden. Die anderen haben mir ja sehr gut geholfen, also was labberst du für einen besc******** *abfall*!!! mad mad mad

what a dramatic topic ... especially the "Labberabfall" grin

and here one of my most reckless posts from 2003. Today I would recieve letter bombs for something like this. Topic was if Acknex runs on Linux...

Quote:

Hat hier irgendjemand von euch einem Mac?!! [Eek!] ??
Die Dinger bringen doch 1. nichts, sind 2. Arschteuer und 3. nur zum angucken gut, 4. laufen kaum Spiele, 5. andere Prozessoren 6. ... usw. Die Dinger sind doch einfach nur Schrott! Aber okay genug gelästert [Big Grin] . Aber auf Macs läuft A6 und A5 garantiert nicht, da bin ich mir sicher. [Smile] [Smile]

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/18/10 22:27

@Rondidon,
i just moved to canada for one year. I visited it 4 years ago and i just fell in love with it immediately and now i will try it out for one year (i've been here since October).

@Dennis,
no prob, but you are wrong, even your lasors would win against him tongue

@Error,
I think we had a "your first post" thread before, hm but i am not really sure.
(BTW good to see you around too, haven't talked to you for a long time, already started missing you :'<)

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/19/10 17:23

Quote:
I think we had a "your first post" thread before, hm but i am not really sure.

Yup, we definately had a thread like that before, but its been quite a while ago.
And since threads in Morbius get deleted after a while - for reasons probably of sinister origins - there's no way to read through them again ... safe for manually going through a users posthistory, of course.

Quote:

(BTW good to see you around too, haven't talked to you for a long time, already started missing you :'<)

Awwwwwwwwww. Thanks, yeah, been a while since we talked. Also haven't been too active around here, stressful times for me the last few months! We should talk soon, since my stressful times are now over for a little over a month.
Posted By: mikaldinho

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/19/10 18:22

little over a month-what do you mean?

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/19/10 19:49

Unfortunately, my stressfree time will not last forever - in a little over a month things will get more hectic again, and I'll be less active in here as a result.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/21/10 04:25

I <3 Angela's World.

I'm really not sure who I'll vote for. I have a little soft-spot in my heart for Commander Keen, but it's quite little. Nostalgia doesn't know the meaning of the word "little", though.

The Captain's avatar is so Kiyaku, though, and really cool.

I like them both on different scales, so it's so difficult to choose.

If Error014 gets in a round, I personally don't think he'll leave until we get into a Helghast situation. I don't know why exactly, but I just really like it.

Jibb
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/21/10 16:04

Kiyaku wins this round for sure. It's simply one of the best avatars around.

I'm still having mine and Ambassador's hopes high one of us gets to compete grin

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/22/10 13:01

Kiyaku has a nice avatar, but mine is the better one. Think of the fantastic games back then. And now vote for me!! grin

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/22/10 13:22

Originally Posted By: JulzMighty

If Error014 gets in a round, I personally don't think he'll leave until we get into a Helghast situation. I don't know why exactly, but I just really like it.

hahaaha, "a helghast situation"...
I like how I am already getting my own comparison phrases tongue

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/22/10 16:36

Rondidon ftw!

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/22/10 20:11

Originally Posted By: Rondidon
Kiyaku has a nice avatar, but mine is the better one. Think of the fantastic games back then. And now vote for me!! grin

But using a already existing character isn't very creative.

I added my own mind into my avatar, it's more unique, that's why you should vote for me grin

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/22/10 23:16

I already voted but you both have good points it would be funny if there was a tie. Well good luck to u both
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/23/10 01:21

Kiyaku to the death. *worship*
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/23/10 03:28

Originally Posted By: Joozey
Kiyaku to the death. *worship*

*joins*

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/23/10 03:56

... frown

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/23/10 08:14

<3 you guys, that's what keeps me surfing around here even when i'm not working with 3dgs anymore, too many good people grin

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/24/10 12:19

Thanks for the support Mateys!
Here is rum for all of ya!

Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/24/10 12:38

Yar! I coulda sworn I posted mah suppart for mah cap'n.

Eithar way I voted! Cap'n Yar the winnar! That rum ya have thar is on me!

(You know I just recently found out you were selling Angelas World...I deleted it off my pc because of this, but I did have fun with the free version wink )

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/24/10 16:01

Ah, geez! I can't believe Rondidon lost. frown
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/24/10 16:02

Good round! For a while I had no idea who was going to take the cake.

Congrats, Captain.

Jibb
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/24/10 17:09

yarr, the captain won again!

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/24/10 22:27

... shocked frown crazy cry

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/24/10 23:02

Looks like the next contest will be running a little late again. I've sent a PM to Rondidon concerning the Captain's next opponent. As soon as he gets back to me, I'll post another contest thread...

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/24/10 23:04

like i said, i love you sven, but commander Keen is a personal hero to me... otherwise i'd always be happy to join the rum!

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/25/10 00:29

Thanks a lot for your support again laugh I wonder who will be the next opponent.

@Dennis, don't worry matey, love you too, let's empty that rum grin

Quote:

(You know I just recently found out you were selling Angelas World...I deleted it off my pc because of this, but I did have fun with the free version )

Yeah i fused with Hive Media and we sell the game for PC/MAC/iPhone now. There will be a iPhone Lite version too and the price will be lowered soon.

If you want, gimme a PM and i can send you the PC version (full version). It contains more events and highscore/achievements system.

Greetings,
Kiyaku

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 - 02/26/10 04:31

Sorry guys, I totally forgot about this again frown

Because of these recent delays, I don't think I can fit a contest into the weekend. I'll post a new one Wednesday, next week, so I can get a fresh start again.

Once again, sorry about the delays, and thanks for your patience.
© 2024 lite-C Forums