Forum Discrimination

Posted By: Blade280891

Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 13:54

In this forum i have seen some discriminaton against users who have a low amount of posts as they are considered noobs, yet their are users who have re-registered on this forum who receive the same type of discrimination.

I believe this forum needs a new system for ranking users, i think a rank should be based upon either user votes (ie; giving thanks on a thread etc.) or be given depending on contribution to this forum (or something)

What do you guys think ?
Posted By: MichaelGale

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 13:57

If you find a case in which a newly registered user is being discriminated by another user, please notify a moderator.

However, I quite like your suggestion to have the ability to thank a certain user for a contribution to the forum and think that it would be useful.
Posted By: Joey

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 13:58

we've had user ratings. i tell you it was a bad idea.

furthermore i think that most users "judge" others based on their posts, not on their post counts. i could name a few who have no clue about what they're writing and who think it's fun to blame and discriminate others.

ratings based on contributions is basically a good idea, but how to count them? someone could throw in a snippet here and there whilst others make full-featured stuff available. who rates these contributions?

also many people don't have the time to create stuff for the community but still post intelligent and helpful answers.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 13:58

there was a rating threads thing, but it s removed.

(some people just rate 1 starts to all threads?)

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 14:00

Well a simple way (although if you implement this you should remove this post) would be to just rate a user based on how many posts in certain areas combined with views and replies.
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 14:15

Sorry Blade but ratings are a bad idea.
When we had ratings nearly everyone had only 1 star of 5
Posted By: MichaelGale

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 14:25

Well he didn't talk about ratings from 1 to 5, did he? I think he means a system that allows us to thank a user for a post by clicking some icon. There would be no way to rate someone down. Works very well on many other sites.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 14:27

Not a direct ranking, a bit like some sites have (vbulletin forums), where you get experience (a number) and that number is translated into a rank, and getting thanks in a thread will just add to that number.
Posted By: achaziel

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 15:07

hm. that "thanks for that"-button actually does work pretty well on other sites, so maybe that's not a bad idea.

to take things a little bit further... some of you already said that users get judged based on their post count or registration date, so i'd suggest to hide that information, what do you think? knowledge isn't based on when you joined the forum or how many posts you write. just an idea.
Posted By: aztec

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 15:29

Well but I find it very atractive to see how many post I did and when I registered it somehow lets me feel like I really archived something.(or it just shows that I'm doing too much 3dgs stuff).
One Idea could be that you upload a small picture to every contribution you make.
Then when someone clicks the button "hey that helped me"
you can see this small picture in the users personal-page and if you click on that small picture you can get the link to his contribution URL and some information how many people klicked that button or donwloaded his contribution.

It would just caracterisize a persons "personal-page" you could just see "oh he's in to scripting/modeling/2d design and he's pretty good at it"
Posted By: FBL

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 15:30

We've had ratings and it was crap. It's good that it's gone now.
Posted By: ortucis

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 16:01

So after 'ranking', users with no contributions and no 'thanks' will be discriminated against even if they aren't exactly a bunch of trolls?

Just saying, it can also happen..

As far as I am concerned, I find most members posting here very informative, even those with low post counts (or those who I can hardly understand). If someone is spamming or discriminating, just ignore them. TBH, this happens everywhere, adding ranks and 'thanks' only grows the ego in the forum and leads to more "I have contributed so much, what have you done lately?" like moments in those forums.

EDIT 2: Ignore the previous edit. Had the window zoomed out. :P

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 16:04

that the post count is growing someone's ego was exactly my point. that's why i think it wouldn't be bad to remove that kind of information. becuase it serves no other purpose than making you feel good because you did oh so fucking much for the forum. thats about it.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 16:43

no it's a very good information to show how active someone is. remember that there is also the date you registered straight above the post count. and isn't the post count somehow an incentive to help people? if someone is spamming a lot, people who are around these forums often will notice it. that's how it works. if you join a club you get to know the active people way more than someone who is very inactive (note, as i said, this can change. i always look at the registered date in combination with the post count).

and to be honest: wouldn't it make all those people with a very low post count feel better if it was abandonned? and where is the sense in this, i ask you?

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 16:46

If post count and register date are the only problem, then we can proudly say we have no problem at all!

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 16:47

the sense in this would be that the members with a low post count won't get picked on or called noobs or whatever. happens a lot around here actually.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 16:49

name me three threads where this happens.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 16:51

Originally Posted By: achaziel
the sense in this would be that the members with a low post count won't get picked on or called noobs or whatever. happens a lot around here actually.

That most likely depends on how certain people formulate their posts, not on their actual post count.

Don't expect people being nice in PEEEAAAAAASSSE HEEEEEEEEELLLLLPPP!!!11 threads asking for programming a certain game feature for free.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 16:53

One - http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=251234

Two - http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=250316

Edit:
Three - http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=245977

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 16:58

one: pointless thread. closed and gone. forgotten.
two: wow... very heavy insult. I prefer the german word kindergarten for such things.

edit:
three: no discrimination here. cerb eri apologized and if you don't know about Lite-C and try to learn it.... let's face the fact: then you are a newbie concerning Lite-C. Everyone started as a newbie one day.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 16:58

firoball is right, unfortunately new folks tend to ask unpolitely and without the necessary information needed - of course, they might know no better. if it's the first, they should be informed about that but don't expect members to answer very civilized on these posts.

i mean, i'm far from being perfect in english and i'm sure there are some mistakes in this post, but people don't complain and that's something which you won't find in other communities. you can talk about nearly everything, people are intelligent and literate and it's just fun to talk here. i'm not spending my spare time on these forums because i want to oppress noobs and i doubt the other "members with an uber post count" do wink.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:00

@firoball i never said they were threads which had insults in, joey said show him "three threads" where people had been called noobs (and all the variations)

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:04

I see, I was referring to the thread title, my fault.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:05

"noob" is not meant to offend someone, it's just some internet slang. and you felt insulted what i can understand. you could be a modeler having 10000 posts and not having coded a single line. but still i don't think that he wanted to affront you.

so where exactly is the problem? people being critical about some noobs posts? why? they're not attacked more often than vice versa.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:07

No, i don't feel insulted but what i am saying is that some people can when you get some of these "Higher" Members who use it in an insulting way, and therefore i think that the way a member is ranked should be different than just amount of time registered mixed with amount of posts.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:12

i completely agree. but for me this is no "ranking", it's a useful information. for newbies its often enlightened when they're answered by someone with a couple of thousand posts. furthermore this shows you how active this community is.

what i want to express is that this information is no ranking at all. just an information. if you want a ranking, don't start by getting rid of something which has nothing to do with it in first place. people exploit their high post count? some also feel superior because of their user name or just because they're some arrogant dumbass.
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:12

Quote:
two: wow... very heavy insult. I prefer the german word kindergarten for such things.

I hate that thread! He thought that i'm a noob mad
But thanks to PrenceOfDarkness for rescuing me! laugh

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:14

can you then tell us why he thought so?

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:15

@Joey, true but i didn't propose getting rid of it , i proposed a different way of ranking (although some don't see it as ranking), but what some people might like is an option to hide their post count reg date and their title

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:18

but wouldn't they come out with feeling embarrased about this kind of information? i'd really like to see no ranking at all because they've proven to create conflicts, even though there might be some positive competition.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:21

Yeah it depends on the ego of the members i suppose, some will look at ranks as a way to better them selves and prove them selves, while others may see it as a status of power (as such) and think that people with lower ones are inferior.

What would be ok (maybe) would be an award system, where it shows who has contributed the most each month or similar (maybe just in the AUM) and that way we may be able to step up User Contributions.

I dunno, i am just flinging ideas out here
Posted By: croman

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:22

i think that "thanx" button could be implemented but only the person who posts that topic can give "thanx" to the person who replied him correctly. i hope you understand what i ment to say

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:23

Wouldn't it be better if people can thank the OP (at least) for the contribution (if it is) etc.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:25

Originally Posted By: Joey

Well it's a long story...

I got his e-mail from a long time ago.
Then i was a noob (before).
Then he helped me.
Then i becomed an advanced in lite-C.
Then he started to be mean.
Then he needs an alpha tester
Then i test his engine.
And he promised me to put my name on his website.
Then he lied.
Then i deleted his e-mail.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:31

but that's some personal stuff which has propagated here. but what has this to do with your lite-c skills? sorry if i annoy everyone with this but i'm really interested in why some members feel aggravated by others.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:32

Originally Posted By: Cowabanga

Well it's a long story...

I got his e-mail from a long time ago.
Then i was a noob (before).
Then he helped me.
Then i becomed an advanced in lite-C.
Then he started to be mean.
Then he needs an alpha tester
Then i test his engine.
And he promised me to put my name on his website.
Then he lied.
Then i deleted his e-mail.

So it was totally independent from your post number?

That post number thing is great to identify people who just spam, even if you never saw the user.
The "thank you" button will not work, as the people will missuse it, as they did with the formerly rating system (for user and threads, a rating for a project or a showcase was a great idea imho).

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:34

but that's some personal stuff which has propagated here. but what has this to do with your lite-c skills? sorry if i annoy everyone with this but i'm really interested in why some members feel aggravated by others.

What do you mean? And you're not bothering me at all! smile

Quote:
That post number thing is great to identify people who just spam.

You mean i'm a spammer?
Posted By: ortucis

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:38

Actually, "Thank You" button can work if mods make it so that only the person being 'thanked' can see who thanked him for what and how many. No one else gets to see the amount of thanking since there is no point.

If the person getting thanked isn't the high and mighty type, he will be happy with the thanks themselves. Also, I don't see anyone posting "I got so many thanks" in an argument because you know how THAT will make them look like. :P

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 17:46

What do you mean?

Well I meant why should he tell you a noob if he knows you're none? Does he dislike you? Then he has attacked you because he wanted you to feel bad? But why relying on something which you can prove wrong such as your skills?

I think it's exactly as Firoball said. If some hassle and people feeling good because of their post counts are our only problem we can count ourselves lucky.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 18:05

"Well I meant why should he tell you a noob if he knows you're none?"
Becuase he's better than me with programming.

"Does he dislike you?"
Yes.

"Then he has attacked you because he wanted you to feel bad?"
He always wanted to do that.

"But why relying on something which you can prove wrong such as your skills?"
I proved. See the thread again. wink
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 18:50

Quote:
That post number thing is great to identify people who just spam.

You mean i'm a spammer?

oO This statement was totally unrelated to you.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 18:50

we should hold some coding competitions which make up our future ranking. then everyone knows how skilled the other is. if he thinks he's better there'll be another challenge.

and how nice you are could be judged by the beauteousness of your girlfriend. uh. this reminds me of something. aaaaah, it's valentine's day. i must go.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 19:01

lol

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 19:04

@Cowabanga. sorry but i dont think you're advanced in lite-c. 95% of your posts i saw was "good", "great" "keep up the good work" and such things. i rarely see you help someone in programming. i dont call you spammer, not at all. i just think you should put yourself little on the ground.

i hope you wont get angry, i wish you all good, just...no hard feelings. oh and i didnt get it right? who were you talking about? who hates you? that guy you talked to and deleted his email...

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 19:42

Quote:
i hope you wont get angry, i wish you all good, just...no hard feelings.

Nah. I won't got angry.

Quote:
oh and i didnt get it right? who were you talking about? who hates you? that guy you talked to and deleted his email...

I was talking about the person who hates me, talked with me and lied on me.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 20:19

who is that person? if we could know?

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/14/09 20:40

we should hold some coding competitions which make up our future ranking. then everyone knows how skilled the other is. if he thinks he's better there'll be another challenge.

and how nice you are could be judged by the beauteousness of your girlfriend. uh. this reminds me of something. aaaaah, it's valentine's day. i must go.

Thats a good idea indeed =)
It would be kinda like pokemon or beyblade :-P
"i wanna be the very best dah! dah! like noone ever was! dah dah dah"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0xt8F8Y09A
xD

@ Cowabanga:
There are always people who dont like each other
We have quiet a few here but we always managed
to keep personal disputes more or less out of the forum
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 00:22

Someone should close this thread... it seems to be more about a personal issue than anything else to me. The particular threads weren't discriminating, let alone offending. But they were definitely childish.

Everybody should know calling someone a noob 70% of the time just means both people don't know what they are talking about thinking to be better or cooler than the other guy. Why bother getting offended, especially if you allegedly know you aren't the 'noob'?

Lol, when you think about it, everybody must be a noob (aka 'beginner') at more than one thing; no one excels in everything, so again why even bother feeling offended?

A 'thank you' button won't solve name calling or insult issues and especially not persons not liking other persons. Rating systems... we seriously can do without!

There's a task there for the moderators when people cross the lines, but so far the mods are doing a fine job and people tend to behave alright.

There's been a bunch of spam-threads lately that I personally wasn't too happy about, but hey regardless of how childish it is, even I can see the fun in posting random things. wink

Quote:

Next thing you know, the judges get bribed and all that. :P

People that truly have skills will get noticed, and believe it or not but for most of you guys it's very clear what your experience and skills are.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 11:10

Amen
Posted By: checkbutton

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 12:47

Well, I did not read through all this completely, but I think, that a "Thanks"-Button under EVERY Post which can be clicked by EVERY user ONCE.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 14:02

Originally Posted By: cerberi_croman
who is that person? if we could know?

cro_games.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 14:10

aahhaha, cro_games - my dear friend. please Cowabanga, dont mind. he is kinda mean sometimes. smile he's good person, and plus, i firmly believe that he had his reasons for whatever he told you. i cant say more cause i dont know what have you two talked about

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 15:58

He is kinda mean sometimes? Or you mean he's mean all the time.
Plus, he promised me to put my name in the site 'cause i'm the alpha tester. Now go to his website. Where is it?

P.S. It would be awesome if someone close this thread smile.
Posted By: Lukas

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 16:03

Did you ask cro_games where he put your name?

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 16:27

P.S. It would be awesome if someone close this thread smile.

sorry but here i must disagree! that's exactly where all this controversy comes from. people complaining about others, mixing it with their personal feelings but being afraid of an answer. that's just unfair!

i mean, who talks about others behind their backs? that's indeed kindergarden!

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 16:28

Well he said that he will put my name in the site.
Posted By: Lukas

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 16:45

@Cowabanga: Yeah, he said he will put your name on your site and you say you didn't find it. Did you ask him WHERE he put your name on his side? Probably you just didn't find it.
And if he really didn't put your name on his site, you probably just have to remind him politely.

@Joey: Yes, I agree with you and that's why I didn't close this thread wink

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 17:35

Quote:
Did you ask him WHERE he put your name on his side? Probably you just didn't find it.
And if he really didn't put your name on his site, you probably just have to remind him politely.

Yeah, I ask him WHERE to put. In "About Us" page. And i send a message before. And i'll send again.

I'm out from this thread.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 18:41

his website is under construction and he doesnt often changes it. that's probably why he didnt do that. you have to ask him nicely/politely and that's it

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 18:52

If his site is under construction so what's this?

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 19:05

yeah, but it doesnt mean that his website is finished, right? or perhaps he forgot to put your name?
or maybe you didnt deserve to be called alpha tester??

i told him to explain you, so he'll post an answer here shortly

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 19:14

@Cowabanga - how old are you?
Posted By: cro_games

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 19:24

Omg..lol.
You aren't my beta tester..I have only send you some demos..and you have say that it sucks..Yes it sucks to you, total programming newbie , a guy who thinks that all you need to know to be a game developer is run Level editor..Man, you are 11 and I'm programmer/Game developer for like 6 years..how can you say that you are pro? I know that I'm not,and I will not be soon..have you ever made anything? ..I don't have so much to say to you, I'm not kid like you are..
p.s.
And no, you will not be on the website. Just for saying all this..

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 19:29

So what did you say on the e-mail?

Plus you think that i'm 11 years old? Ugh. Everybody thinks that from my e-mail.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 19:31

like firoball descibed another thread at the beginning:

This is what I call "Kindergarten".
Posted By: cro_games

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 19:39

Originally Posted By: Michael_Schwarz
like firoball descibed another thread at the beginning:

This is what I call "Kindergarten".

And yes you're right..

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 19:39

Well, now i think this thread should be closed ^^

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 19:41

agreed. i overestimated their urge for peace.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 20:02

Originally Posted By: Puppeteer
Well, now i think this thread should be closed ^^

Agreed. Deleting would be nice. wink
BTW, I'm ignoring all these posts laugh.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 20:06

No, deleting would be all wrong.

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 20:12

Why?
Posted By: aztec

Re: Forum Discrimination - 02/15/09 20:12

allright I'll try to close it

versuch es mal zu schließen wenn das geht
© 2024 lite-C Forums