Windows 7 Beta download

Posted By: Yu_Une

Windows 7 Beta download - 01/19/09 09:48

blushit's looking some what promising Welcome to Windows 7
Posted By: Hitsch

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/19/09 10:38

As long as it gets better then Vista.
I'm going to skip right to Windows 7 then.

But are there any real new features?
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/19/09 10:45

I already checked that demo out. I was disappointed. It is just another Vista. I could not find big changes there. Some features even did not work yet.
Besides that it has problems in a virtual environment while XP and several Linux distributions did work fine in Virtual Box, Win 7 also works but has problems to detect hardware and drivers properly.
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/19/09 11:57

Ugh! Windows 7? Beta?? There are no "REAL" new features.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/19/09 12:25

it is like works 2x faster than vista on me? booting, copying files etc.(didnt have any driver problem, nvidia drivers are at windows update.)

i like it more then vista currently.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/20/09 06:02

blushyup I've been using the the Beta for a couple of days, it has features Vista won't have were you can pin what ever you use most to the task bar, also theres another feature Vista won't have were you can touch your monitor (you need a touch screen for this, which Vista won't eccept through the watcom tablet function)also in every espect it's different then Vista, something I had which was for Vista won't run on Window 7.

For the other critics watch the Vids,(I didn't like Vista) I'm buying it when it comes out.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/20/09 11:29

i can even say it works as fast as XP(maybe faster.) i like it.

(just hate the "send feedback" link on all window titles.)

(but this is what vista should be like when it s first released)

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/20/09 13:07

I still believe all these "It runs fast" comments are somewhat subjective. I would like to see some benchmarks there. A new fresh and empty OS always runs fast. Start to install all your virus and anti-spam tools, all the additions fonts, office and programming tools. And then look again!

XP is able to boot on my PC in something about 5 seconds. Vista and Win7 cannot achieve this. But I never tested the speed of an application, or the time it takes to start OpenOffice in XP, Vista and Win7. This would be more interesting.

But I also hope to get a faster Win7. Vista was worse than XP. Maybe Win7 can correct this. But I will wait for a real review and benchmark to jump from my chair.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/20/09 13:22

Quote:
But I also hope to get a faster Win7. Vista was worse than XP. Maybe Win7 can correct this.

Well I hope it's faster than XP, as beating Vista in performance should be easy.

Quote:
(you need a touch screen for this, which Vista won't eccept through the watcom tablet function

The Wacom Cintiq tablets are not actual touch screens though. The only thing closest to a Windows platform with touchscreen functionality are the tablet PCs.
Posted By: adoado

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/20/09 15:06

Quote:
Well I hope it's faster than XP, as beating Vista in performance should be easy.

Lol, thats a great point right there.

I feel sorry for people who forked out a lot of hard-earned money for Vista Ultimate only to want to upgrade to W/7 so early.

Right now, I will stick with XP.
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/20/09 15:42

I don't see any reason why I should switch from XP to Vista or Win 7. It's stabel, fast and I know where things are ^^

The only reason would be DX 10, but I'm not a gamer so this is not my problem smile

What about the consumed RAM of Win7? Does it use less than Vista?

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/20/09 16:47

Quote:
What about the consumed RAM of Win7? Does it use less than Vista?

The same RAM eating :P.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/20/09 17:17

yeah its nearly same. And only thing complained about win7 is gamestudio setup so far. laugh

(omg gotta love new mspaint)

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/20/09 17:42

Quote:
The only reason would be DX 10, but I'm not a gamer so this is not my problem

I am very much a gamer, but I totally do not miss DX 10. There are still big performance issues with most games when it comes to DX 10 support, so it's not like we're really missing out on anything major just yet.

Eventually I will make a switch, but I'll probably jump straight to Windows7 and not Vista.

Cheers

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/21/09 09:16

I made a Google search for "Windows 7 Benchmark" and there are quite a lot benchmarks out there. Most of them show that Win 7 boots and runs a bit faster. Good news. So I only have to hope that Win 7 64-bit Upgrade will properly install on my current system without destroying anything.

I still will keep my XP in a virtual environment. This the best and robust software development platform I ever installed so far.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/21/09 09:32

i tried upgrading from vista to see if it works, too bad it said it cant update Turkish Vista to English Windows7 (only japanese-arabic-english and 2 more languages available in beta.)

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/21/09 11:40

I would reccomend a backup to be on the safe side, that's what I did, also in different news
Quote:
Removal of Windows Mail
[This documentation is preliminary and is subject to change.]

Affected Platforms

Clients - Windows 7
Servers - Windows Server 2008 R2

Feature Impact

Severity - High
Frequency - High

Description
Microsoft is deprecating the Windows Mail utility and disabling the API CoStartOutlookExpress. The other mail APIs have been marked as deprecated and are slated for removal in a later Windows version. However, the publicly documented APIs that are not marked as deprecated or obsolete will continue to function in Windows 7. Binaries will remain on the users? systems and will continue to be accessible via the APIs, specifically in the cases mentioned above. In addition, the users' e-mail (.eml) and news (.nws) files will remain on the system.

Manifestation of Impact
Removal of Windows Mail results in the following:

All entry points to Windows Mail and Contacts (for example, Start Menu, user-created Shortcuts, Start -> Run, etc.) are removed or disabled. Some of these are completely removed, others will fail when trying to launch.
All DLLs ship in the box
Publicly documented APIs continue to work as they did in Windows Vista
Any APIs that attempt to launch the main browser UI have been modified to create a silent failure. The function will return success, but will not show the UI to the user. APIs that call other dialog boxes (for example, the Spooler or the Accounts dialog) continue to show that UI
Protocol (mailto, ldap, news, snews, nntp) handlers will not be associated with Windows Mail or Contacts. When attempting to launch these, customers will see an error dialog pointing them to the location where they can set these associations to another program
File associations (.eml, .nws, .contact, .group, .wab, .p7c, .vfc) are broken or disabled. When attempting to open a file with these extensions, customers will get a dialog box offering them other apps that are installed that they can use and point them to a Web page that offers solutions
Any user files (for example, contact files or messages) remain on the system in the upgrade scenario
The Contacts folder is hidden by default so customers will not see it
APIs are marked as deprecated in MSDN
The file preview function is removed
Shell hooks in the right click menu are removed
The file search function is removed

Mitigation
Users should install Windows Live Mail or any other mail product that is able to read .eml and .nws files.

Solution
Detect if there is a default mail handler installed. If not, advise user to install Windows Live Mail or any other product that is able to read .eml and .nws files.

Do not design code that calls the Windows Mail UI API, since it will not work. You must find other ways to access the .eml and .nws files. In addition, as soon as is feasible, discontinue your reliance on all other Windows Mail APIs.

Compatibility, Performance, Reliability, and Usability Testing
Exercise your application in a Windows 7 environment to ensure that the application does not try to call the UI API.

Send comments about this topic to Microsoft

Build date: 11/24/2008
bear in mind this is a early stage Beta.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/21/09 12:30

Hm, I hope they change it. Currently I indeed use Win Mail. Probably I should have used Thunderbird instead. I have to check if Thunderbird can import the Win Mail folders. The spam function from Thunderbird is better anyway.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/21/09 14:53

Thunderbird can indeed import WinMail - Mails

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/21/09 17:35

xp vs vista vs 7

it's beta, but it still can beat XP.

(1:winner 2:runerup 3:loser)
(test systems noted on images)

Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/24/09 11:42

I tested Windows 7 today (only for 30 minutes!). My first impression: I really don't like it! Microsoft changed so many things... I don't like the new taskbar, the new paint, the new explorer.
Maybe the performance is better, but I had no chance to test this.

I guess it will be a flop, like Vista.

I would like to see a XP 2.0 instead of an Vista successor! I won't change to Win7.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/24/09 13:33

Originally Posted By: Dark_samurai
I guess it will be a flop, like Vista.

Vista Rules!
Posted By: Lukas

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/24/09 14:10

I downloaded it and first tried it to install on MS Virtual PC (which I think should work, because this emulator is from M$), but it always got stuck at expanding files. Then I disconnected all my harddiscs from my real pc and connected an old IDE HD via USB with my PC. When I tried to install Windows 7 the installation window didn't even appear!

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/24/09 14:20

Why would an emulator work just because it's from Microsoft? :P
Posted By: Lukas

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/24/09 16:02

Because I thought that Microsoft made its own emulator compatible to its own OS :P
Posted By: FlorianP

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/24/09 18:52

loved XP, hated Vista, loving 7!
Posted By: nightshade

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/24/09 19:04

And I hate getting ripped off.
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/24/09 19:36

testing reply
Posted By: Rich

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/28/09 17:51

I tested it out and I like it so far, seems very similar to vista, just much faster. If they don't manage to mess it up between now and release I will probably upgrade.

I don't really like the new task bar, but if you look around there is a way to bring back the quick launch ect.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/28/09 18:15

well you can get kind of old look by opening task bar properties and selecting "Never combine", you can pin things to taskbar and use it like quick launch.

i like the new taskbar more(especially that you can change the order of the buttons, being able see file copy/delete/move progress on the button etc. and the new system tray.)

only thing i miss is embedding "windows media player" to taskbar, other then that it's better imo.

i was using vista, i already removed it completely, but since i cant rely on a beta OS i installed XP as a side-kick to 7. didnt have any problems yet tho.(it's like fixed vista alraedy, vista was breaking down more.)

I didnt hate vista,but didt like it more than XP too. But i really like 7, and hope to get it free from MSDNAA.(i got Vista that way :D)

edit:
found that about quick laucnh: http://triso.me/Win7QuickLaunch (old style taskbar.)

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/28/09 23:57

Quote:

I didnt hate vista,but didt like it more than XP too. But i really like 7, and hope to get it free from MSDNAA.(i got Vista that way :D)

How did you manage to do that?

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/29/09 01:26

Well i am currently a student at Computer Science and Engineering in a university in Turkey, and the department has some sort of alliance with Microsoft. Every student in Computer Science and Engineering dept. given a password. we login to a store page of e-academy.

There is plenty of microsoft apps/programs from office to visual studio pro editions, oses etc.

then i go select vista from list(every product is listed as free in price), then they gave me key and download link.

In Turkey, nearly all universites use various ditrubitons of Linux as their main os, i guess microsoft aims to make Windows more popular in universites this way.

it was Vista Bussiness.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/29/09 13:32

I see, that's awesome. I can get Vista for a discount through my university, but not for free. :P

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/31/09 10:29

If anyone is using Win 7 Beta leave feedback with Microsoft, on a different note the only Vista which ran stable is the Home Basic Edition though I currently got the Busness Edition which I don't like.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/31/09 12:40

I'm downloading Win7... 21 hours, 2 minutes! WTH is that?

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/31/09 14:39

it's only 2.25 GB ? downloading from mirosofts site?

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 01/31/09 14:47

Originally Posted By: Quadraxas
downloading from mirosofts site?

Yeah.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/01/09 01:33

Yeah shocked , it's kind of small for a dvd iso.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/02/09 18:16

Originally Posted By: Michael_Schwarz
Thunderbird can indeed import WinMail - Mails

I just tried and it can only read communicator, eudora, outlook and outlook express. Windows Mail came out after the last version of Thunderbird, so it cannot import these data.

This is bad frown

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/03/09 07:00

I'm downloading Windows7 now with FlashGet. 13 hours, 27 minutes. Hmmmm, Not bad.
Posted By: ISG

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/04/09 15:24

Is it just me, or did that post earlier with the statistics from XP, Vista, and Win7 not hit anyone like it did me? If I read through it correctly, and saw the results correctly, I'm pretty sure it stated that Windows XP was so far the worst and slowest OS since the XP days in comparison to Vista and Windows 7. Were these on fresh installs of each OS? And may I get a source for who claimed to have ran Windows Vista faster and under what circumstances?

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/04/09 16:24

@ISG: source:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/04/09 20:47

I tested Windows 7. It's %100 garbage. I guess i'll wait for SP2.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/04/09 20:56

you say Vista rocks and 7 is garbage...

and the rest of the world says the exact opposite thing.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/04/09 22:22

Yeah.
Posted By: FlorianP

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/05/09 05:22

Originally Posted By: Cowabanga
I tested Windows 7. It's %100 garbage. I guess i'll wait for SP2.

Let me guess - even if i doubt you really installed it - you tested it for about 10min or less?
So it's conviction because Bill Gates is a bad bad man, you don't want to setup windows anew or you just don't want to float with the current?
Please - correct me - i installed it about 2 weeks ago and i ask myself how to buy it after the beta...i'd really like to save the money! But i cannot find anything that is worse than in XP or Vista.

edit - even the 'new' wmp classic beats vlc-player.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/05/09 10:55

Please anyone help me! How can i restore my vista! Because i upgraded it! frown

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/05/09 11:22

you have to format your hdd mwhahahaa.

(try a fresh win7 installation, it's better than vista.)

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/05/09 11:58

Please anyone help me! How can i restore my vista! Because i upgraded it! frown

Why didn't you read the instructions of MS? They clearly told even at the download page that you should not install it on a working os. You should rather use another system where you dont lose anything. This is a beta version, even a demo version. It is just to evaluate it. It can destroy your old system, files, programs. That is why I installed it in a virtual OS. But the best solution is to install at a second unimportant system.

Better read instructions before you do something like that.

Currently you can probably only re-install Vista.

PS: I remember that you said you will change your avatar. It is still there with this flashing stupid animation.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/05/09 13:29

I've format the Win7 and i've broke the Win7 disk.

Now i'll install my programs again -_-.

Quote:
PS: I remember that you said you will change your avatar. It is still there with this flashing stupid animation.

I haven't say that i'll remove it. But i say that i'll remove the flashing. Now it's with low flashing.
BTW, Still have headache? :P

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/05/09 16:28

I haven't say that i'll remove it. But i say that i'll remove the flashing. Now it's with low flashing.
BTW, Still have headache? :P

You know from a lot of users of this forum that this avatar is annoying but you are arrogant enough to continue to bother people around you. This plus the many one-word spam posts of you tells enough about the forum troll you are.

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/05/09 18:48

Originally Posted By: Machinery_Frank
You know from a lot of users of this forum that this avatar is annoying but you are arrogant enough to continue to bother people around you. This plus the many one-word spam posts of you tells enough about the forum troll you are.

OK, OK. I'm gonna change it.

EDIT: Changed. No headache?
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 02/05/09 23:02

i tried it and i´m not amazed.
theres no need to have it. i´m lucky that my current operating system is running well
Posted By: MMike

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 10/17/09 11:52

and the price is.... any news about an official price..
- im alien citizen, could i buy an USA version?
Posted By: MMike

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 10/17/09 11:55

Originally Posted By: Quadraxas
Well i am currently a student at Computer Science and Engineering in a university in Turkey, and the department has some sort of alliance with Microsoft. Every student in Computer Science and Engineering dept. given a password. we login to a store page of e-academy.

There is plenty of microsoft apps/programs from office to visual studio pro editions, oses etc.

then i go select vista from list(every product is listed as free in price), then they gave me key and download link.

In Turkey, nearly all universites use various ditrubitons of Linux as their main os, i guess microsoft aims to make Windows more popular in universites this way.

it was Vista Bussiness.

.. yeah Im studding at UTAD, portugal, and they give it to all students on that university too. nice.. ehhe

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 10/17/09 12:46

Originally Posted By: MMike
and the price is.... any news about an official price..
- im alien citizen, could i buy an USA version?
AFAIK it'll be cheaper than Vista.
Posted By: penut

Re: Windows 7 Beta download - 10/19/09 05:19

It works!!!!
© 2024 lite-C Forums