Time itself slowing down?

Posted By: Bright

Time itself slowing down? - 12/29/07 02:04

http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/12/scientists-time.html
WE'RE ALL DOOMED!!!!!
Posted By: padrino

Re: Time itself slowing down? - 12/29/07 14:20

Now I haven't noticed any of that yet... Quite certainly, time seems to be going faster and faster

But seriously, it's, like the article says, billions of years in the future 'til there may be a complete halt of time. If we go on like this, there won't be any humans then anyways...
Posted By: checkbutton

Re: Time itself slowing down? - 12/30/07 03:02

It is a fact that even if time runs backwards, we wouldn't notice, because, for us, time is just a change in space. And so if something happens absolutely slower, it is relatively to our recognition the same speed, because, also our brain would process it slower.
Posted By: ICEman

Re: Time itself slowing down? - 12/30/07 04:18

Thats true. Since time is relative, we could in fact be slowed to a halt right now and not know it.. or going into the event horizon of a massive black hole. Far as time, we wouldn't know the difference. .

Not maybe until that last moment when our atoms are condensed far too much for us to survive in human form.. but that one instant'll be "pew-" gone. We wont know what happened.

Re: Time itself slowing down? - 12/30/07 13:23

At this point, something takes effect we call our "soul".
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Time itself slowing down? - 12/30/07 21:53

Quote:

It is a fact that even if time runs backwards, we wouldn't notice, because, for us, time is just a change in space. And so if something happens absolutely slower, it is relatively to our recognition the same speed, because, also our brain would process it slower.

A fact? Lol, okey, I wouldn't know, but it sounds kind of unbelievable. If time around us would slow down the "relative time" changes too. If time slows down, speeds will slow down too, right?

"If time runs backwards" , is it even possible for time to run backwards?

Quote:

Since time is relative, we could in fact be slowed to a halt right now and not know it..

Relative time can't exist if there's no absolute time for events to take place in. It's difficult to explain, but I'm pretty sure that for the very same reason time can't go backwards without us noticing it or anything about it,

Cheers

Re: Time itself slowing down? - 12/30/07 22:12

I don't think you can comprehend, what I mean. Everything around us is depending on that 4 dimensions we can recognize. So if time is slower, we ware slower, and our recognition is slower. So relatively, it stays the same.
Imagine, time stands still, so all your vital functions would stand still, so you would not notice that time stands still.
Perhaps you should read some books by Stephen Hawking before laughing at me...

Re: Time itself slowing down? - 12/30/07 22:35

Quote:

Everything around us is depending on that 4 dimensions we can recognize. So if time is slower, we ware slower, and our recognition is slower. So relatively, it stays the same.

True and I understand that, but perhaps our perception does change, don't you think we can only be aware of our world in one speed?

Quote:

Perhaps you should read some books by Stephen Hawking before laughing at me...

I was laughing at the fact that you think of it all that as a fact. It's a theory rather than a fact. I wasn't laughing at you, in fact I'm very interested in this subject myself and wouldn't laugh about anyone saying anything about this. I've read some books about time from Hawkings too, but there are definitely parts I don't quite understand or which simply sound strange.

Cheers
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Time itself slowing down? - 12/30/07 22:47

Quote:

"If time runs backwards" , is it even possible for time to run backwards?

Aside the fact that we always can imagine it is possible, I read that somewhere in an ancient thread on this forum, if you had a rotating gravitational field and some more of this and that you'd be able to reverse time.

Even if this would prove not to be possible, it doesn't mean that we can not learn anything from it when we figure out what would happen if it were.

I think we indeed wont notice this, as we live within the borders of the time's dimension. Can we see, notice or even meassure that our universe is floating through the big nothingness between other universes? No, nor will we ever. And that is because we do not have a navigation point to orient. The same is with time. We live in it's dimension, and we can only see ourself moving within it's borders. We can't look beyond the boundaries and thus can never orient on how we move. Not only can't we see such an orientation point, but nothing from outside can influence us. The boundaries of our universe takes care of that.

If our universe flies with ten times the lightspeed to the left, and in one instant it would fly to the right same speed, we wouldn't notice a thing. Not because our earth would drift weightlessly along, but because the dimensions we live in move with the universe as well. If we would live outside these dimensions on the other hand...

So my conclusion; unless we got hit by another universe, the dimension boundaries suddenly cease to exist or we break through it ourselves, we can not notice any global movement of the dimensions. Wether it be time or space. Backward or forward, normal or flipped, negative or positive, we change with it and don't see and feel it happen!

Re: Time itself slowing down? - 12/31/07 00:03

As I said: Laws of nature prove it.

Re: Time itself slowing down? - 12/31/07 00:14

\o/ I know, I just took half an hour to type all that. Meanwhile you said it in 3 sentences.

Re: Time itself slowing down? - 01/01/08 15:56

Quote:

As I said: Laws of nature prove it.

How?

Cheers

Re: Time itself slowing down? - 01/02/08 13:07

OHHH I don't want to write pages of formulas here. Just belief me...

Re: Time itself slowing down? - 01/02/08 15:09

Like PHeMoX would take enough with that ^^
© 2024 lite-C Forums