Unreal tournament 3

Posted By: Damocles

Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 02:42

Hello, anybody playing UT3?

I downloaded the demo today,
and I have to say that I am really disappointed.

(I really like UT1, 2003 and 2004)

The graphics run slow even on crappy lookinf low settings (I have a quite decent computer now)

The game feels to me like playing Nexuiz on my old computer on a nice map
with too many frameratedropping effects on, and then putting a milky glass-plate on my screen.

During the first Deathmatch i could enter some kind of 3-leged machine, (that looked like everything
else in the environment), from wich I could shoot 10 enemies like ducks on a fun-fair shooting.

The car capture the flag was no fun either.

I had a hard time to see differences between what was an enemy, a gun, or just some level-element.
Its a really unclear gfx.

Changing graphical settings cant be done during the game anymore, but I have to exit the current game
for any changes, and restart the whole game for changes on the gfx.

I will not buy this game. Maybe in two years when I can get it as a bargin.
Posted By: MichaelGale

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 05:17

I am disappointed as well. The graphics look impressive and I can play it on the highest settings, even on my laptop, but the gameplay is simply a joke. If I remember correctly there were 6 CTF maps and some more for deathmatch. They dropped several game modes (double domination, bombing run, onslaught), too. Not to mention that larger maps keep crashing on my computer, same applies to one mission of the campaign (which isn't great either). There are many things I miss from the previous UT versions, especially regarding the game configuration. It looks like they had to remove most settings, because the new menu system doesn't allow much content. I also experienced several crashes to my desktop. Hopefully, they'll add some more content with upcoming patches.

btw. have you read the license during the setup? it's quite funny
Posted By: padrino

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 08:01

Quote:

btw. have you read the license during the setup? it's quite funny

who does that?
Posted By: VPrime

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 09:10

The graphics are great, but it sucks. I dont think its being made by digital extremes any more, so that could be a reason why the gameplay is different..
Posted By: Toast

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 11:33

Well I've also only played the demo but I liked it...

The gameplay finally came back more to the original UT (which is the best titel of the series imo) by making everything a bit slower and less hectic. The system requirements are pretty low for the visual quality i.e. in contrast to many new titles you can also play it on decent detail levels even on older systems (though I don't know how it's on the high detail level as it isn't in the demo)...

Concerning the points Damocles makes I can only say that I don't think so. That "3 legged machine" isn't that overpowered imo (you usually get your ass kicked when you're inside it in no time) and I never had problems to differ between enemy, friend and environment - only the smaller Vehicles at high distance may mislead you sometimes...

Well for the rest: It's just another UT so don't expect too much from it besides a graphical update, minor gameplay changes and some different maps...

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 12:50

On my computer, to reach comparable framerates of UT 2004, I have to reduce the setting so much,
that it looks plain ugly.
In this sense the graphics are worse than in 2004 for me.

An in that 3-legged machine, that probably has some silly madeup name, I was really
secure playing against the hits from the bots.
So onece I entered the machine as the first one, the match is practically over...
the last 2 minutes of the game is just a silly duck-shooting with frequent multikill/dominating
ratings.

I played different mode for about half an hour, and not once real fun.
Also the Menu-system ist way to complicated, to simly start a game (I need about 7 clicks from starting the game to be in the action,
that used to be much less in ut2004)
And many configuration options are not available to the player anymore.
The menu is a very typical "console-game" structure, wich they also use in the PC version.
But a PC is not a console, and we have a mouse, and there is not need to have such a cumbersome
menu then.
Posted By: Toast

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 13:57

Quote:

On my computer, to reach comparable framerates of UT 2004, I have to reduce the setting so much,
that it looks plain ugly.
In this sense the graphics are worse than in 2004 for me.

Well that's a strange argumentation. Claiming that a system that runs a nearly 4 year old game at the same fps level as a brandnew game doesn't make much sense. You don't need 100fps for a fluid game...

If your system doesn't give you such high fps in UT2004 it's a different situation but especially then you shouldn't expect too much from such a recent game. Many many things nowadays are done via shaders and if your computer isn't very powerful on this area it might look even worse than "older" titles. But you shouldn't blame UT for that - it's a common problem (ever compared Crysis on Low and Far Cry on High?)...

I can't really comment about that Mech thingy anymore because it was quite a while ago when I played the demo. I just remember having a bot getting into the mech which then was relatively easy killed (of course it's a big advantage but that's the reward of getting in first)...

The menu really is a bit too "complicated" but I've seen worse things and you don't really spend much time in there...

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: broozar

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 15:10

ut always sucked long live quake3arena!
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 15:21

Quote:

das hab ich mal überhört

( )
Posted By: mk_1

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 16:35

Quote:

Richtig! (abgesehen von assault)
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 20:26

UT is awesome , but I 100% agree with boozar , Quake 3 OWNZ UT , very very sad thing quake dropped the arena titles in favor of BORING mission based Q4 which isnt worth a demo download.
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 20:41

wait... hang on....

NO ONSLAUGHT???

all right... UT just died for me.
Onslaught was SO much fun in 2004...
yeah, there's always been better games. but onslaught was the reason I played ut...
Posted By: MichaelGale

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 21:01

Well the warfare mode is similiar to onslaught. It's kinda like onslaught + double domination + bombing run with two bombs
Posted By: William

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/23/07 21:21

I was always a huge UT fan, over Quake3 in it's time too. But this one is a disappointing release, I don't I'm gonna buy it based off the demo. I wish they could change the weapons or something, it'd make it feel fresher. The graphics are also not the best, the tech is there, but I don't care for the style and colors they use.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/24/07 14:19

Quote:

UT is awesome , but I 100% agree with boozar , Quake 3 OWNZ UT , very very sad thing quake dropped the arena titles in favor of BORING mission based Q4 which isnt worth a demo download.

Rumor has it iD Software is going to make another tournament-style Quake game, but I really have to disagree that Quake 3 Arena ever was better than any of the Unreal Tournament games. Starting from Unreal Tournament they've always had the better maps, more interesting and faster gameplay, cooler comments and better overall experience.

Perhaps graphically the Quake 3 Arena style is better, I'm really a fan of the old-school Quake 1 style graphics, but gameplay-wise Quake 3 Arena was no were near UT1. Quake 3 Arena is not at all a bad game, it rocks too and I have played it many many many hours, but I've played the first UT for years literally. Not just because it simply had more levels.

I'm not sure about Unreal Tournament 3 yet. It's a cool game so far, there definitely are some awesome additions like the hoverboards and new intersting things in new game modes. Basically it hasn't réally changed all thát much from Unreal Tournament 2004 though and for fans of onslaught in UT2004-style there's already an Onslaught only-mod out there.

I have to agree with the critics though that it's questionable whether the game has evolved enough. I like the gameplay and the graphics although they have a different more saturated style now. Leveldesign is topnotch as always, but I refuse to use Gamespy. It just sucks and won't ever get things right and not annoying..

Bots in UT3 are better than ever, no dumb actions anymore with vehicles. In practically all areas the series has improved, but it also become a way more 'console'-like title, something I really don't like about it. Graphicsstyle is a matter of taste, but I can see why people wouldn't like it.

It's a great game to play, but it's definitely not as innovative as UT or UT2004 were.

Cheers
Posted By: VPrime

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/26/07 00:11

Quote:

I found the multiplayer for Quake4 was VERY similar to quake 3.. They even had a lot of the old sound effects.
Posted By: ISG

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/26/07 00:38

I agree, I got the demo when it was first released and I also deleted the demo that same day. Extremely disappointed even on the low settings and it's performance. I can run it on it's highest settings and still don't like the graphics to much.
Posted By: Sebe

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/26/07 00:49

Well, the demo wasn't bad and it ran pretty well on my pc, but somehow it's not UT anymore. It's not a bad game, but just not UT - I'll keep playing UT2k4.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/26/07 09:17

I also decided to stick to UT2004. I dont like the de-saturated graphics. Everything looks brown and has very less contrast. So it is hard to see an enemy and even harder to distinguish friend and foe.

I am a long-time fan of UT, Unreal(1) und of the UE technology. But this game is not my visual taste at all. I'd rather replay Bioshock to see how good the UE technology can look in a game.

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/26/07 14:50

Quote:

Quote:

I found the multiplayer for Quake4 was VERY similar to quake 3.. They even had a lot of the old sound effects.

Yes indeed! It's practically Quake 3 Arena but with the Doom3 engine when it comes to multiplayer, it hardly changed anything, but the single player campaign disappointed me most from Q4. Probably because I didn't like the Quake 3 Arena style that much .
Posted By: zazang

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/26/07 14:58

Nothing ever beats for me in UT 1).the "face" level in CTF and 2).all Assault mode
levels

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/26/07 16:44

I agree, I love most if not all CTF levels from the original UT a lot. Even just against bots those levels are very well designed. I can't say I've ever noticed any of those levels to be out of balance. Off course mostly because they are nearly exact mirrors of each team's side, so there's no advantage.

In my opinion that's how it should be with capture the flag.
Posted By: broozar

Re: Unreal tournament 3 - 12/26/07 22:48

the only reason i played ut for a while was bombing run. hell, that could have been such a great thing for a standalone game, but ut br was too slow and the maps too confusing.

and q4mp!=q3a, really. q4mp resembles more a ut game (slower running speed, different weapons with much different handling, even the rl looks like it's been beamed right out of ut) than q3a.
i only played q4 demo, though. for me, q2(sp) is still the best game of the series, followed by q3a.
© 2024 lite-C Forums