MED improvements

Posted By: Espér

MED improvements - 12/21/11 15:19

hi there..

I want to ask if some of these things can be changed for future?

1.) independent Scaling of X, Y and Z of the Object.

2.) marking two sides of an object and setting the scale in Quants (like in Wings3D with TAB Scaling).

3.) Give multiple vertice a point where they should be placed. At the Moment i need to set that for each single vertex successively.

4.) A tool to cut faces. Cause sometimes i need to change some faces. and then i need to redo everything until i can re-extrude the faces.

5.) Wouldn´t it be better to select 3 vertice and just click a button to create a face? this clicking around 3 vertice is annoying cause sometimes you can click as you want.. it doesn´t accept or clicks the wrong..

6.) It seems like vertice need to be set perfectly on the same position to weld them.. is there a Option to change the radius of welding? cause if i know wich vertice i selected and want so weld them.. i need to zoom all the way in to make em overlap perfectly... that´s annoying.

X.) a Question: Can i add a Shader to the Engine Preview? If yes - how?

Re: MED improvements - 12/28/11 02:18

X.) Solved.. found Viewer.c ^^

What about the others?
Posted By: TerraSame

Re: MED improvements - 12/28/11 02:42

Here's the one thing that BUGS me the most about med...
Edit/ "Select Connected" or "Select Touching" are frickin' on/off toggles...
What a waste of frickin' time...

I have never seen any software work like that for selecting... flippin' crazy...
I never mentioned it before and I just deal with it...

For example... you pick a verticie or a couple of tri's then you select "Select Connected" ok no proplem...
... Later you want to do the same thing but the toggle is still on so you have to click it twice...
Man, I got better things to do than fight a software... like fight the darn code...
Sorry... just rammmmmbeling....
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: MED improvements - 12/28/11 20:54

Originally Posted By: Espér
6.) It seems like vertice need to be set perfectly on the same position to weld them.. is there a Option to change the radius of welding? cause if i know wich vertice i selected and want so weld them.. i need to zoom all the way in to make em overlap perfectly... that´s annoying.

Do you mean "merge"? You can "weld" any vertices at any position...

Re: MED improvements - 01/08/12 23:16

ah yes.. thanks.. merge ^^" sry
What about the others?
Posted By: Joozey

Re: MED improvements - 01/10/12 01:17

You can scale pretty easily on axis, just press the direction arrow button in the desired direction, or scale-drag on the arrow in view.

Re: MED improvements - 01/10/12 04:09

not really.. if you want the object to have a special size (f.e. in the 50.201), the view-scaling is bad.
Posted By: sivan

Re: MED improvements - 01/10/12 09:52

what I personally miss from MED, and would be really practical (in my opinion at least):
- placing vertices by giving numeric coordinate positions,
- moving vertices by giving a numeric offset,
- rotating vertices by giving a numeric angle,
- and the above mentioned axis independent scaling by giving a numeric ratio.
( yes, I use AutoCAD grin )

another idea with less importance:
- adjusting vertex normals would be fine too. for example to make better low poly trees, the leaf-group plane normals could be refined to be more realistic.
Posted By: gri

Re: MED improvements - 01/23/12 14:33

possible Improvement:

merging 2 models together
The 2. one should hold its Bones!

Re: MED improvements - 01/23/12 14:35

Another small thing..
This belongs to MED and it´s Skin Editor:

When a face mapping is creatd, and you lost the selection again and again.. perhaps it would be better to be able to select the faces in the Skin Editor again.. instead of changing back to MED switch between both Windows. The Skin Editor has a 3D preview.. isn´t it possible to select faces there?
Posted By: Cielo

Re: MED improvements - 01/24/12 02:06

The only improvement that need to be done to MED is stoping its development.
Conitec should concentrate in WED and SED so this engine can last longer.
forget MED,there are so many free programs so i cant understand why you choose med to make models. sorry but its true! , i respect it but its dumb.

Conitec have proved that its staying way behind others and if med development stop and they for gods sake just make things easyer and more compartible then no one would have always little embarrasing problems cuz btw, this things shouldnt happenz anymore, for this is conitec to long in bussiness

BTW,you have to be a rich dude that you own all this programs,max,cinema and the pro edition, wow!!! - or, you are 2 young to understand that you dont have to tell everybody what you download or not.

just an advice,if am wrong,well,meaned good!

Re: MED improvements - 01/24/12 05:00

Quote:
BTW,you have to be a rich dude that you own all this programs,max,cinema and the pro edition, wow!!! - or, you are 2 young to understand that you dont have to tell everybody what you download or not.

okay, first of all! I own them legal - And yes.. i earn a good amount of money with my Job! Second, i don't post that in my Signature cause i want to make fun of others or to say that others are worse than i! I just post that to get better help in creating models, geaphics or terrains. Cause this way the Helpers see what i use, and can give me technics and tricks to this tools!

be a bit more polite -.-

And i don't know a tool for low poly models, wich is easier to handle than MED - So don't stop development on this, please!
Posted By: gri

Re: MED improvements - 01/24/12 08:07

another thing,

the "engine preview" mode should only play the animation frames selected in the "play setup" section with the selected speed.

until now "engine preview" run too fast through the animationscenes
Posted By: Rackscha

Re: MED improvements - 01/24/12 08:09

The only thing iw ant for med is proper FBX Ex/Import. The so prased FBX pipeline is no longer available in A8.
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: MED improvements - 01/24/12 08:13

@Cielo

MED has a strategic place:

Gamestudio can survive in the market because its a "all in one" package.
Not because it has the best engine.

Not supplying a components like med,wed and sed makes 3dgs replacable with
other engines (with superior features)

The reason for having a "full suit": it gives padding for beginners, who simply dont know/ cant use
all the advanced free tools.
Posted By: HeelX

Re: MED improvements - 01/24/12 09:07

I have FBX import/export? But that can be caused by the fact that I make copies of my old version and update on the copied folder. There is a FbxFiles2010.dll in my med_plugins folder... if you take this from one of your old installations, it should work finde smile

Re: MED improvements - 01/24/12 09:50

I like MED, it basically knows what a free/cheap tool knows. and also very useful to have such a tool, when an engine uses its own formats, to check and correct conversions.
but a few more options would be needed, like smoothing groups, and those I mentioned above. and a more flexible import/export work flow (probably there are a couple of 3rd party converters that could be included), with more detailed documentation and suggestions.
Posted By: Cielo

Re: MED improvements - 01/24/12 13:49

@Damocles

Yes, You are right.
Although this isnt a future concept. They themselves post years ago that they dont make much money with gamestudio, but way more with the other things they do (cant remember exactly but sum electronic thing)

Me am since A4, and thats why i leave GS behind, because things like this are just embarrassing and it slow game development.
Cant wait years for things others already had years ago for less money.

Conitec can easily melt with others, replacing MED with lets say for example wings3d,milkshape, and those people will for sure agree,just share sum of the money earned and make this a better thing.
But i think it has something to do with the way GS works with itself. like monkey fighting their own race

But i agree,this programm live from people beginning their 3d experience and its not thinked for better things.
why? because of the updates, 1 update can ruin your game,at least give you more work or you have to forget about that feature.
Come on, we talking to pros or noobs?

@Esper

Be more polite?

I agree, next time ok!!!

@sivan

Its nothing wrong liking MED,but were is this bringing you if you decide or have the opportunity to make a career out of this.
Better you take your time and lern something real, like max, or even truespace(Free), in every programm you can do low-poly (just sum ,really sum not)

What people do is their problem but is embarrassing reading the same things for years.
i had to give my opinion.
Posted By: Rackscha

Re: MED improvements - 01/24/12 14:23

@HeeIX: yep. in older installations. BUT what if you're a new user? and why is this file missing anyway. I have A7 and A8, no problem. But its just strange and usuable :|

Re: MED improvements - 01/24/12 15:37

@Cielo - yes, you are right, I'm using also other tools because of the missing features of MED, and to be more flexible in 3d things. and because what I am really bad in is waiting (e.g. for new features grin ).
but as a start it was good, it is an easy tool, and I think it would be a really great application in its category with some investments, but it is rather a marketing decision than technical... maybe it is valid for the whole 3dgs package... but hope dies last.
Posted By: HeelX

Re: MED improvements - 01/25/12 07:13

Originally Posted By: Cielo
Conitec can easily melt with others, replacing MED with lets say for example wings3d,milkshape, and those people will for sure agree,just share sum of the money earned and make this a better thing.
But i think it has something to do with the way GS works with itself.

Oh noes, please don't! --- As far as I know they are just making a new WED, so, a new MED would be pretty neat. And if I would develop it, I would not only insert an in-engine window, I also would work out tight support with at least one major 3D package, plus lots of usecase-related stuff that has not only something to do with game dev, but also with specific Gamestudio tasks.

Actually, that isn't so hard once you understood how to work with the MDL7 SDK. I wrote a dll (ackhmp.dll) that completely supports hmp files (loading, saving, editing), so, basically, a full rewrite of MED, inengine style, with 100% support for Gamestudio terrains is theoretically possible with that, plus, neat features to edit and maybe support for other common terrain input file formats and things.

But neither am I Conitec nor do I have the time to do it, unless its paid. I have sort of a world editor in the making for a client and it would be cool to extend it once the game shipped this year, because it is so much fun to work out something cool, especially when there are people, which have a potential use for that. But a new MED would be cool as well, yeah.
© 2024 lite-C Forums