google's native client

Posted By: ventilator

google's native client - 05/20/10 15:34

the web as a platform will be as important as mobile devices. you had a webplugin on the forecast for a while but then it got removed. 3rd party solutions like osakit that use some kind of insecure activex trickery are no real alternative though.

to me it looks like google's native client technology will be the best way to have a game engine like a8 running in a web browser. it would be really great if you looked into it.

it can run native code (compiled from c/c++) in a sandboxed environment and it supports OpenGL ES for graphics (which you probably will need to work on anyway for your mobile device plans). native client projects also will be platform independent (win, osx, linux). another advantage.

i don't know how lite-c would fit into this. i think i have read somewhere that native client will make use of LLVM in the future (the reason is that then it also would be processor architecture independent). so maybe lite-c could compile to LLVM IR too? but in worst case we just would have to use the engine from other languages (c/c++, javascript,...) if we want to target the web.
Posted By: jcl

Re: google's native client - 05/21/10 09:06

Yes, we'll be looking into those products for certain.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: google's native client - 06/15/10 13:28

That would most certainly be a reason for my to purchase A8 in the future.
Posted By: NeutronBlue

Re: google's native client - 11/11/10 20:24

I've been waiting for Mobile/Smart Device support for years.
Possibly software rendering like in A5.x? that could run DirectX on Windows Mobile.
I have sample code that does some neat stuff - but I'm definately not a DirectX programmer.
Posted By: Liamissimo

Re: google's native client - 11/11/10 21:10

If there is a mobile device support I am the first who buys it, would defnitly be a reason to buy.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: google's native client - 11/11/10 21:30

native client will also be processor architecture independent so it should work in the browsers of mobile phones too in the future. it really could be an awesome and very universal solution if it works out.

unfortunately it still seems to take a while until it is completed and ready for general use.
Posted By: Quad

Re: google's native client - 11/11/10 23:42

although software renderer could be useful for older phones(not much because of the lack of processor power) there is no real need for it. Most new phones sport a graphics chip and support various versions of OpenGL ES
Posted By: William

Re: google's native client - 12/02/10 01:35

I too would love to see A8 move to work in a webplayer and mobile devices very soon. I am actually doing some work with Unity now and planning my next project. However, I really miss Lite-C as it really is a much nicer launguage than Unity Script or C#.
Posted By: Clemens

Re: google's native client - 12/02/10 04:24

Yes, mobile and web device are the most needful features for the future of 3dGS. Mini games have much potential (on mobile phones and in the web) and are the best possibility to let hobby programer / small companies take part in the professional game industry.

Ergo, these features should be "forecasted" wink
Posted By: Rackscha

Re: google's native client - 01/01/11 13:32

And do you know whats perfect about mini games? they can be casual, they can be cartoonish grin.

Greets
Rackscha
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: google's native client - 01/01/11 14:00

Originally Posted By: Rackscha
And do you know whats perfect about mini games? they can be casual, they can be cartoonish grin.

that's a true word!
my opinion is that the most important part of a game is either a very good story or a really good gameplay
so if the game has the worst graphics, don't care
i love tank arena, a game from the old DOS times, but i love it
none of my friends can understand this....
but why the coolest graphics if no story and no gameplay

so:
you can create my fav. game with GS if you have a good gameplay grin
© 2024 lite-C Forums