mobile market

Posted By: vertex

mobile market - 03/30/10 12:33

Is there any way at all to output to the mobile market with Game Studio in the future-- i.e. new Windows phones coming up? I was reading that Adobe utilizes in Flash CS5 a method of converting code to assembly (lower level) then back up to output for iphone/ipad. This is certainly an example of a round peg in a square hole working.

If you "can't get there from here" that's fine,3D Game Studio is still a good PC/Windows engine, but curious if some sort of mobile output could be possible?
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: mobile market - 03/30/10 13:49

If no support publish to Mac OS, please consider iPhone/iPod.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/20100323/tc_macworld/iphonemakingbigdentinmobilegamingmarket
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: mobile market - 03/30/10 15:01

Maybe Gamestudio is going to be cross-platform in A10 grin

@JCL:
Is there any plans for any other platform in A8?
Posted By: Quad

Re: mobile market - 03/30/10 15:30

this would require replacing DirectX which most of the engine functions based on.

Re: mobile market - 03/30/10 15:58

let's see Conitec is really serious in game market, engine market or A8 will be solely a hobby/learning tool.
Posted By: MMike

Re: mobile market - 03/30/10 18:02

well loosing market is something bag, i dont know what they will do...

Re: mobile market - 03/31/10 12:39

Mobile market is a very very important emerging market.

http://gamerlimit.com/2009/08/editorial-why-the-iphone-might-one-day-replace-the-ds-and-psp/
http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/36460/70-of-iPhone-developers-heading-to-Android-says-AdMob
http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-enterta...gaming-platform
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: mobile market - 03/31/10 13:08

Gamestudio on iPhone?
That would require a major redesign, and result in very slow
apps, when users use the same approach in making games as on the PC.
Mobile Phone development is much more performance critical,
and by this requires a much more low level programming approach
and asset creation / formats.

I dont see Gamestudio as a solution for iPhone,
without making a whole new Gamestudio architecture.
You cant use the same methods and asset-formats for mobile development.
Posted By: amy

Re: mobile market - 03/31/10 14:24

Gamestudio + Lite-C would be quite ideal for the iPhone. It only would have to support OpenGL ES. laugh

JIT compilers aren't allowed on the iPhone so the Unity guys had to come up with some way to compile C# to machine code beforehand. Lite-C already compiles to machine code.

Of course such devices don't have much power but this doesn't require a totally different engine design. You just can't have that many polygons and draw calls.

Re: mobile market - 03/31/10 15:23

There are diffrences between machine codes, lite-c compiles to a machine code in a way that windows can understand it, to compile lite-c for iphone , it would require a diffrent compiler. Also formats like WMB and MDL are too heavy for a device with limited resources like i phone.
Posted By: jcl

Re: mobile market - 03/31/10 15:38

Android and Windows phones are possible target platforms for an A8 mobile version, and we're indeed looking into this. The iPhone is not so suited.

Re: mobile market - 03/31/10 15:47

lite-c on android. Sounds great.

Re: mobile market - 03/31/10 18:47

Originally Posted By: Quadraxas
There are diffrences between machine codes, lite-c compiles to a machine code in a way that windows can understand it, to compile lite-c for iphone , it would require a diffrent compiler. Also formats like WMB and MDL are too heavy for a device with limited resources like i phone.

The differences between the executable formats of various operating systems is no big deal at all but Lite-C would need a back-end for the ARM processor architecture.

Why would MDL be too heavy? It would work just fine but of course it would make sense to use some kind of compression.

Re: mobile market - 03/31/10 19:19

compression would require decompression on runtime, thats not a very good idea either.

I was actully tired to say ENTITY, that has to be changed for mobile purpose like instead of 100, 20 skills etc.

and functions like ent_animate with bone animation are heavy functions too. I guess JCL will rework this stuff so they are less performance hungry in mobile version.

Re: mobile market - 03/31/10 19:44

There are very cheap decompression algorithms. Most importantly for textures...

The ENTITY struct isn't big. It takes 4KB or something like that. 100 skills or 20 make no difference.

Bone animation is expensive but there is no magic trick to make it faster. I don't know if it can be done on mobile GPUs. Probably the newer ones with shader support can accelerate it. Otherwise simply use much cheaper vertex animation instead.

You have to live with the fact that your games have to be much simpler but this isn't really an engine thing. The engine would need to support OpenGL ES and Lite-C ARM processors but not much else would have to change.

Re: mobile market - 03/31/10 19:48

Oh, and PhysX isn't really platform independent. The Unity developers have a source code license and ported it to the other platforms themselves.
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: mobile market - 03/31/10 20:19

iPhone would make me happier, since I do not want to buy an Android phone, even if i would be simpler to sell anything there(the market for android games is much smaller than the App-Store for the iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad).

But android is already a nice feature, thanks jcl laugh

Re: mobile market - 04/01/10 00:43

I have an iPod touch 32GB and an Android phone (HTC Magic).

compare to Android Market and iTunes, overall I like Apple online market system more.

Re: mobile market - 04/01/10 01:28

It's not about market "system", it's about your "chance" on the store, which pretty higher in Android market.

Re: mobile market - 04/01/10 04:12

Originally Posted By: Quadraxas
It's not about market "system", it's about your "chance" on the store, which pretty higher in Android market.

How to buy apps in Android Market? In Apple Appstore it is much easier and convenient, so it is higher chance to reach customer.

Re: mobile market - 04/01/10 05:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_geD0k-5eZY

Re: mobile market - 04/01/10 07:10

I know I can download apps from the phone device, but I like to browse and purchase software on iTunes on computer and sync to my iPod.

And I wonder why there is no pay apps in Hong Kong, all available apps are lite or free version.

edit:
I found my city didn't list in the support location ATM.
http://www.google.com/support/androidmarket/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138294
Posted By: William

Re: mobile market - 04/01/10 07:22

"Android and Windows phones are possible target platforms for an A8 mobile version, and we're indeed looking into this."

Awesome!! This would be great! I think both of these platforms together(The new windows7 phones are amazing) will be much bigger than the IPhone in the future. Hopefully this is out before the end of the year so we developers can get a leg up. It would be great if we could use A8 for mobile dev as well instead of moving to another engine. laugh
Posted By: William

Re: mobile market - 04/01/10 07:32

Another thing, us developers who know how to do 3d games will have an advantage over many of the existing Iphone type devs. After all, everything is moving to 3d in the mobile market anyways(Ipad, windows7phone). And this engine would make developing games for the mobile market a breeze. wink

Re: mobile market - 04/01/10 09:26

I think no matter no single platform (iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android, Windows Mobile) will dominate the market. So more platform support more opportunity to get more customer.

Conitec please consider iPxx as well.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: mobile market - 04/01/10 09:47

In fact the Iphone and Itouch are the dominant devices where people buy games, music, videos by using itunes.
Others devices don't have such software and download/buy platform !
That the things that make Iphone so succesfull.
Unity team have understood that and have incorporated it.

Games for other phones have market, but dont' have the same selling power as itunes platform !
And on other devices, lot of times you will have to do 2D games or very simple 3D games.

Another way to develop is to use Java language, caus lot of them are Java compatible.
And for that you can find some good 3D engines already existing like for example Jmonkey Engine : jmonkeyengine

Re: mobile market - 04/01/10 09:53

Actually after I got my iPod I spend much less time on Android (just for phone call).

I bought several games on iTunes some sometime on the device, and they sync every time I connect the device to my Vista! And I will get the bill from Apple no matter I purchase or got the free apps by email.

The system really excellent! I think only if the online market, device, software from a single vendor like Apple can achieve this.

Re: mobile market - 04/01/10 13:20

Originally Posted By: jcl
Android and Windows phones are possible target platforms for an A8 mobile version, and we're indeed looking into this. The iPhone is not so
suited.

nice because i Have android! ªª

Re: mobile market - 04/01/10 13:26

I have android And its great..

Does iphone have FLASH? Android does, and it will support adobe AIR content! = games and more appls to come..
Posted By: mikaldinho

Re: mobile market - 04/03/10 17:32

@MMike - does this answer your question? http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/9730

anyway, if 3dgs did do a phone capable version, it should be in 2d only, because I have not seen a decent 3d phone game. if it was a 2d football game, you could make it look 3d through positioning of the camera, and have the player capable of running diagonally, etc.
3dgs-mobile would be a good idea, but it would have to compress the file down loads. and isn't Java used on phones often? couldn't 3dgs mobile use Java instead of lite-c because of Java's capability to work almost anywhere? if Java was used, 3dgs-mobile could be used on the iphone as well as andriod phones.

regards,
Michael Brockwell
© 2024 lite-C Forums