Locking Physics objects axis

Posted By: Helghast

Locking Physics objects axis - 08/31/09 10:58

As said in the subject.
Can we (maybe as parameter in phcon_setparams?) get a function that locks all movement over any axis of the physics object, so 2D physics games can be realized.

for example as seen in games like trial bikes (PS3).
Youtube: Trials HD

or Monster Trucks Nitro (iPhone).
Youtube: Monster Trucks Nitro

regards,
Dennis
Posted By: jcl

Re: Locking Physics objects axis - 08/31/09 11:31

Yes, I had already thought about limiting physics movement to 2 axes. But we'll sooner or later switch to PhysX anyway, and will then implement a solution for this.
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: Locking Physics objects axis - 08/31/09 11:52

Chris3D wrote:
Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding Cowabanga, I meant that you get it free from conitec, because I thought they would implemented in A7, not in A8.

Why doesn't conitect buy the PhysX plugin of Chris3D, then we could have PhysX in the next update?

Re: Locking Physics objects axis - 08/31/09 12:57

Originally Posted By: Dark_samurai
Chris3D wrote:
Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding Cowabanga, I meant that you get it free from conitec, because I thought they would implemented in A7, not in A8.

Why doesn't conitect buy the PhysX plugin of Chris3D, then we could have PhysX in the next update?

It's not that easy, seeing as you have to take out 1 physics engine, replace it with another, and make sure it's properly backwards compatible (for A6 reasons...)

I can see a 2nd physics next to DOE be implemented, but not a complete replacement...
How easy would this request be to be implemented, in a way like:

phcon_setparams3(VECTOR movementAxisLock, VECTOR rotationAxisLock);

or

ph_lockaxis(VECTOR movement, VECTOR rotation);

Both being able to lock/unlock any axis at any given time?
(Or have aPhysX plugin in the new update that can do the same:P)

I basically have my design done, I just got stuck on this bit for implementation of a game I want to make...

regards,
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: Locking Physics objects axis - 08/31/09 13:09

Quote:
It's not that easy, seeing as you have to take out 1 physics engine, replace it with another, and make sure it's properly backwards compatible (for A6 reasons...)

There is no need to replace it. The physX plugin could exist beside the ode engine for some time until they replace it totally.

Re: Locking Physics objects axis - 09/07/09 07:55

@JCL,

As Chris3D is releasing his plugin, why dont you guys buy that off him (like the wiimote) and put that in the next update?
I dont mind spending money on the DLL, but not if conitec has plans to include that anyway sometime...

regards,
Posted By: amy

Re: Locking Physics objects axis - 09/07/09 08:34

For 2D physics you should use a 2D physics engine like Box2D or Chipmunk. They are easy to use and much more efficient than abusing a 3D physics engine for 2D physics.

I think Box2D has more features but Chipmunk is a bit faster and written in C so probably it is less effort to use it with Lite-C.

Re: Locking Physics objects axis - 09/07/09 09:26

Originally Posted By: amy
For 2D physics you should use a 2D physics engine like Box2D or Chipmunk. They are easy to use and much more efficient than abusing a 3D physics engine for 2D physics.

I think Box2D has more features but Chipmunk is a bit faster and written in C so probably it is less effort to use it with Lite-C.

I dont want it to explicitly be 2D physics, i want to be able to switch between either whenever i want real-time in-game...

That's the whole reason I wanted to have axis locked wink

thanks though anyway laugh

regards,
© 2024 lite-C Forums