Paid* Concept Artist for SciFi Shooter wanted

Posted By: Kerkelenz

Paid* Concept Artist for SciFi Shooter wanted - 12/07/05 05:42

Hi, to all of you that are experienced in Character sketching or drawing, here is
what I need: A few Human Characters in SciFi Style, and 2 DIFFERENT Character
types is Special Forces style, so SWAT or FBI. I need them as reference images
for modelling so a front view and a side view will be necessery for this. My
Idea of payment is following:

If the game will be sold (comercial):
I am really planning on selling the game so
if you give me at least 5 different Characters, 5 male and 5 female, plus 2
different SWAT of FBI Style character types I will pay you about 25-50$ (depends on quality).

If the game will be Free (Freeware):
I doubt that it will but just in case, then I canot pay you for this project,
but I will menchan your name Bold in the credits and will pay you in my
next comercial title with the same paying concepts as shown above.

I hope anybody is interested and thank you for your time,

Kevin Erkelenz, AKA Sylver
Posted By: Harry Potter

Re: Paid* Concept Artist for SciFi Shooter wanted - 12/07/05 10:38

Quote:

if you give me at least 5 different Characters, 5 male and 5 female, plus 2 different SWAT of FBI Style character types I will pay you about 25-50$
If the game will be Free (Freeware) ... then I canot pay you for this project

That must be a joke!? For 12 good-quality-models you have to pay at least 2500-5000$.
Posted By: ello

Re: Paid* Concept Artist for SciFi Shooter wanted - 12/07/05 10:41

wow, that would be around 1 to 10 €cents an hour. thats pretty much

Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 12/07/05 11:09

I dont mean the models Potter, only the 10-20 minute Skech for use as a reference Image.

<edit> Please nevermind on this, the project was cancelled!
Posted By: light_mystic

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 12/07/05 16:24

You need to be more Realistic on your requests. Even a good Concept Artist will not go that cheap unless you want what you pay for which will be like you said a 10-20 min job. I know good concept art does not get completed in 10-20 mins unless you want a sloppy job. It might be a canceled job but I can take you to other Job forums besides this one and you post something like this .... they will just laugh at you. Something to think about.

Paul Tanner.

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 12/07/05 23:34

Thank yo ufor the advise, but I just need basic sketching, and I know of my own
experience that sketching is about 10-20min PER SKETCH.

Kevin Erkelenz
Posted By: Guardian

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 12/07/05 23:55

Show us a 20 minute sketch.

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 12/08/05 00:29

that questio nwas kind of redicilous, because why should I hire somebody if my sketches would be good? My drawing skills are not very good, and maybe that is why but I think that a professional concept artist can do a drawing in about 20 minutes.
Posted By: Gafgar

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 12/25/05 02:45

Hmm.. i must say that if you are going to design a character then make it detailed and then have it in 2 different views and that mush the same character that you really can use it as an reference image and in an that good quality so you can see how it is supposed to look like it is about a minimum of 6 hours for each character... but if the character design is going to be realistic you have to make researches about how things work and then make a design from that and then it will take more time... I must say that that prise you said there is low.. Not even worth the time to scan them and send them...
But I can only speak for me… ad a 0 on that MAYBE payment and it should sound interesting...
Posted By: Nadester

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 12/30/05 03:33

I see where you're comming from OA_Sylver. You're obviouselly not looking to hire a professional, but I'm sure there are plenty of aspiring artists with talent who'd do it as a favor and pocket $30. I used to do this all the time.

No reason to flame a guy when he says he'll pay a little, there's plenty of people who ask this (and much more) for free.

As for sketches, I've worked with plenty of artists who can sketch quick pencil poses and what not and scan them in, in under a half hour.

Sorry can't help you much, but good luck, and sorry to hear your project was cancelled.
Posted By: Guardian

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 12/30/05 04:51

I think he's saying, if it sells he'll pay. But what I was driving at was people always seem to ask artists for allot and won't even go to the trouble of googling reference material for their own project. But I guess your right it's not very constructive.

My advice.

1)Don't ask for to much.
2)Find as many Visual examples as you can of what you want.
3)Give as much information as you can a storyline about your project.
4)Offer what ever you can, be it money, or scripts, or what help you can give, or other game resources.
5)In other words be as descriptive as you can so that it becomes more likely someone can give you what you want in 10-20 minutes.

Hope this is more helpful.

Guardian
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/04/06 10:09

Soapbox time again kids...

For those who care, the sKetch artists at companies such as Raven Software, spend all day quickly whipping up concept are as fast as they can to keep up.... this usually ends up as much less than an hour per sketch (depending on the subject) and half hour sketches are far from unheard of. Keep in mind a starting position of that nature is around $30,000 / year, which can roughly equate to about $15 / hour.

Keep in mind the scetches are also VERY good. Beyond what many of us would need for concept art.

I had a guy in my art class who did 5 alien humanoid concept sketches for me for $40.

He did them overnight, probably longer than 20 minutes each obviously, but to him, a fine artist, it wasnt so much work. He didnt think he should make a fortune off it! he didnt even think he deserved the $40! Now THAT'S an artist!

Besides, even if an industry standard would be like $500 or more for a model, that doesnt mean you'll get it, and it doesnt mean you should ask for it anyway. Why be so damn greedy? What kind of kind contribution is that to the community? If I wanted to get bent over i'd go get an exam done.

And though the 'pay after publish' thing isnt such a hot idea, I submit that people are just too stuck on themselves. If you got people beating down your door to do work for them, more power to ya.

But anyone who expects to be paid royally as an indie, well, don't expect to accomplish any completed titles either. Pay after publishing is pretty much the norm around these parts. These nay-sayers are people who obviously won't take any risks, and you want to start at the top of the ladder. That to me sounds more unrealistic than hoping someone will make some scetches for $50.

Heck, I'll do a few sketches for $50, and you can wait for your pot of gold by doing no work. And the results would be worth more than they paid. Why? Because I also have pride in my work. I often am underpaid for my results. I could make more, but then i wouldnt get the work either.

Greed Greed Greed. The only people who deserve such high pay for their work are people who are presently working for some firm, or run one themselves. If you're an indie looking to suck the meager earnings from an indie developer because you think you're so good, ask yourself why you aren't working for a company making the big bucks.

Take what you can get, even if it's just practice :P

Don't anyone be scared to ask for something with little or no pay up front. That's normal for indie development, and there's true artists out there who will do it. Not everyone will, obviously, but it's the only way as an indie. I'm betting a lot of the people wanting the big bucks also go online to find free resources! Hypocrites.

Jason
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/04/06 18:07

Quote:

Pay after publishing is pretty much the norm around these parts.

So is failure and vaporware...no coincidence there in my book.

Quote:

These nay-sayers are people who obviously won't take any risks, and you want to start at the top of the ladder.

Why would I want to take a risk that I am 99.99999% sure will come to pass? These projects always fail Blue...name me 2 3DGS projects started in the last year under this model that are ongoing, making steady progress, and look like they will be released soon...name 4 3DGS projects starting in the last FIVE years under the same criteria; I peronally can't think of any.

So what you call "not taking risks" I call "having good common sense".

Quote:

That's normal for indie development

Because most indie development is co-located and you have 3 to 5 friends that have known each other for years that get together every day to hack out the game with the promise of future riches. I don't know of any indie company the "recruits" under the pay-when-publish model.

In 3DGS on the other hand you have mostly remote teams and thus there is none of the face to face that normal indie dev has. You do not see the people in your team, you don't see the progress, you don't see the money, and you rarely see the "big picture" on a day to day basis and on top of this you are usually working with someone you have known for all of a few weeks. This is why 3DGS game development through the forums will alway fail if it's pay-when-publish because there is NO daily incentive to keep going or to do good work.
Posted By: BlueBeast

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/05/06 03:36

*** Is it so unreasonable to ask for cheap help?***

Can I name the number of ongoing Gamestudio projects under that premise? No, I cannot, and don't pay that much attention. But that's 3dgs.

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count games made otherwise that succeeded under those circumstances. And thats what I meant by the norm. Indie development in general, not 3dgs.

I don't think paying for work will quarantee a money making project any more than finding people to help for cheap or free. So equally, paying big bucks for models etc also can equate to vaporware. More so since you blew what little money you start with on overly pretty models and art instead of advertising/ marketing.

Just because people hate to give good prices to their fellow 3DGS users doesn't mean thats how the rest of the indie community does it.

I agree having someone live nearby helps a lot, but it's not necessary, obviously. Maybe for 3DGS it is, but I dunno why.

I think if a person looks in the showcase forums and did some research, you'd see a lot of the successful teams are spread out. So that's possible. Does everyone on those teams recieve a salary/wage to do the work? I don't think everyone does, though obviously a lot do.

Let's not forget the teams working on projects who don't post in the forums. There are those, So neither of us can say with 100% accuracy whats going on.

I see your points, but they're a bit too pessimistic for my taste. it IS possible to do pay after play. Theres over a decade of indie development backing this, and by definition is what indie development is. Working for the eventual fruits of your labor. It is possible. Not so far in 3DGS maybe, but thats my point. What makes us modelers, artists and level designers so great?

And if someone is 'too good' to join a team, and put in the hours, well they'd be the reason for failure if they joined a team. And maybe thatss why the failures you mentioned. I wouldnt suggest making free stuff for a project you know will go nowhere. But that doesnt mean you deserve top professional dollar for your work. Again, if a person is that good, why are they looking for work in forums instead of a fortune 500 company?

Because for all our talents, modelling, level design, art, programming, we are a dime a dozen. You don't want to work for free? Thats understandable. Too good to work for cheap? There's hundreds of people standing in line behind you that will. And they're out there because people (except here in the 3DGS forums) know that your name on a project is good advertisement. Your name gets out by doing work, not turning it down. To argue that the only way to get help is by paying big bucks is ludicrous.

And many people have cross project relationships... I model for your project, you level design for mine. Does anyone get paid? Nope. Not a dime will exchange hands until a profit is shown, yet everyone got the help they needed.

It's one thing to say "You may wish to bring up the price of payment to get more interested people" and quite another to sit and argue with the poster why their post is rediculous. It's mean and unacceptable in these forums. If you don't want a persons job, dont reply. It's like going through the newspaper and calling the job postings and telling them their business. Noone would do that cuz it's a waste of time and they have no interest in that job. It's no different here.

It's OK to agree to disagree, I just didnt like the negative feedback, since it wasnt a feedback topic, it was a request for help. You know me, always sticking up for people in posts :P

My point was not to be afraid to ask for cheap help. It's out there. Point #2 is people should not make snide commentary to such requests. In fact, if they have nothing to contribute, such as acceptance to the offer, they have no place posting anyway.

Jason
Posted By: Jamie_Lynn

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/05/06 04:07

I think that people should have the opportunity to work together on a project that is unfunded to learn from it and what if it was successful. If your first couple of games are bound to be failures as advertised - then pouring money into them doesn't make a lot of sense to me and younger people are the less likely to get proper funding anyway.

Why not leave them alone and let them form a no pay until published team - as long as they are being honest about it. They need the experience. How are they going to get it?

Quote:

I don't think paying for work will quarantee a money making project any more than finding people to help for cheap or free

It is a proven fact that the availabililty of funds does not increase the success rate. Heaps of money will not guarantee success. If you look at the top ten reasons why projects fail - only one of them deals with money. And it deals with the mismanagement of it by not properly tracking project costs - a management error. Running out before the project ends because of improper estimates and tracking. But even if you can't run out of money - because you have more than you need - the project can still fail...for the other nine very popular reasons.

Posted By: indiGLOW

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/05/06 16:51

You not what I think, one of the dudes that leads the forum should propose a ...group project. Something that will test all of the very best of you, bcz I have yet to see anything built with GS that I would buy in my local games store...

I am not saying people haven't made excellent games, put in lots of hard work and produced something that is fun, challenging and all the things that go with it. But nothing here is triple A.

The potential is there....

I have seen bits from shader posts, model post showcase and so on, that are fantastic and independantly of AAA standard, but no one seems to get it all together to produce something complete.

First off all those that worked on it would be credited, but also be able to site their envolvment in the project....which in turn should raise their profile and maybe generate more paying work...

As an open source project it would also provide a great guidline for all the ultra-prenours out there....

Just my 2 cents.

Oh and splitting the forum , paid for work and help wanted is a mighty fine idea and should be implemented at once

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/05/06 17:44

Quote:

it IS possible to do pay after play. Theres over a decade of indie development backing this, and by definition is what indie development is.

And my point is that during those 3 decades, all successful pay-after-pub were in-house teams. I can't think of a single non-3dgs, remote indie team that has put out a successful game.

The thing I'm trying to impress upon you is that 3DGS is a mostly remote team community. In the last 3 Decades, I can't think of a single remote-team made game that has been a success. I'm sure they are out there, but I could probably count their products on one hand.

You can't ignore the fact that most 3DGS teams are remote and created by people with little to no game or business experience. These facts add up to failure if attempting a commercial product.

Quote:

I don't think paying for work will quarantee a money making project any more than finding people to help for cheap or free.

Correct. Nothing can guarantee a hit. But money is the Oil the lubricates the development process and thus informed use of funds in a project (and not just throwing money around) will lead to a great chance that the project is COMPLETE...success is up to a whole other set of variables of which money invested is but one.

Quote:

I think if a person looks in the showcase forums and did some research, you'd see a lot of the successful teams are spread out.

I did and have and this is why I can say that there are few (if any) successful pay-after-publish development models in the 3DGS community.

Quote:

Too good to work for cheap? There's hundreds of people standing in line behind you that will.

Understand that this is a friendly thread and I want to keep it that way. However:
If you don't think you are worth getting paid for your efforts, most likely you aren't

The old adage "you get what you pay for" is extremely relevant in this case. There are a ton of people that are willing to work for free. Now ask yourself, if you had the talent to work for pay, why would you do it for free? Unless there is a compeling reason (ie the college buddy scenerio that is IMO the standar Indie model for the last 3 decades), a quality artist will not volunteer time that they could be making money on to create a project.

So who works for free in our society? People that aren't confident in their skills; people that are learning their skills; people who don't like to commit to deadlines and milestones...in short people that cannot possibly give you something a paid worker would give.

Quote:

It's one thing to say "You may wish to bring up the price of payment to get more interested people" and quite another to sit and argue with the poster why their post is rediculous.

I agree. Constructive critisism should be the only comment. Telling people why their post is absurd with nothing to back it up just makes the replier look immature and absurd.

Quote:

My point was not to be afraid to ask for cheap help. It's out there

I agree and I don't discourage people from seeking free help. But it's a law of nature that you will get more responses from talented and experienced individuals by offering some consideration than you will by offering none and it's also a law of nature that "you get what you pay for"

Thus the "free" model is great for learning (where quality and time are irrelevant) but poor for commerce (where quality, time, and money are very relevant).

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/05/06 18:11

Quote:

Why not leave them alone and let them form a no pay until published team - as long as they are being honest about it. They need the experience

Because they don't work and while they aren't using money, they are using valuable time. And every team leader that gets 10 people to work for them under this model, not knowing what the heck they are doing, is wasting their time as well. If the team members were learning something it might be worthwhile, but what most people learn is "don't do that again!"

Think of it this way: There are a million reasons I can think of why having some pay during development is a good idea but I can't think of ONE advantage to the pay-after-publish model (except the obvious "it's free" and since I can't repeat "you get what you pay for" enough, this is not a compeling reason to me.)

Quote:

It is a proven fact that the availabililty of funds does not increase the success rate.

I don't know of any Project Management practices that deals with NO money though. As such, I would interpret that comment as "more money doesn't mean more success" and take this as the standard cautionary tale to managers everywhere to not simply throw more money at a problem and expect that to solve it. But I don't think we can take this to mean that a project with no money during development and one with money have equal chance of success...that simply isn't true.

The real dilema here is that I don't think that there is ANY management wisdom (that I've come across) that deals with projects that have no Budget. In fact, if we were to try to balance the time/quality/money triangle with NO money, then either Time has to go WAY up or Quality WAY down...an effect we already see in this forum with TUSC-ware as an example of the former and Vaporware as an example of the latter.

So while I agree that the availability of funds doesn't guarantee success, any monies that can be used to bring the time down or the quality up is certainly a step in the direction of Completion. This is my main point. Use any form of consideration to make sure that your project has the greatest chance for completion and success. This can be anywhere from cash to free web space to gift certificates. This will make sure that the team is invested in your project and has some stake in it. It will also make sure that your team knows, upfront, that it is appreciated and that their efforts will lead to a real product. It also inspires confidence in you as the Team Leader.

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/05/06 18:43

Quote:

They need the experience

Now address this one. My question stands.
How do they get the experience they need?

1. There are not enough funded projects on this forum to offer all the people who are looking for experience an opportunity.
2. How does a new person get started on their first game - which is likely to fail - but which they have to get through in order to gain experience.

ideas?
I have couple...but if you want them you will have to give me a gift certificate.

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/05/06 20:18

To address point 1), there are plenty of other communities aside from 3DGS that can offer this experience. These include school clubs, IGDA chapter meetings, modding a game, being a beta tester, being part of a games QA. Even other engines such as Torque or 3DRad could have a small project you could tack onto and gain experiences. While these won't likely teach you much about how to program or model, they will teach you how to communicate with others, be an effective part of a team, and perhaps even insight into what it takes to get funded and published. If our community doesn't have this (and IMO it won't for a few years at least), then it's time to look at other places to fill in the gaps (such as gamedev.net or gamasutra.com or igda.com).

To address point 2), I can only offer a series of cliches:

"Every journey of 1000 miles starts with one step" - Ancient Chinese Secret
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it" - Goethe
"Just do it" - Nike

You can read and listen and take classes all you want. But until you put finger to keyboard or pen to tablet you will never transform education into experience. The only way to start is to do just that: start. I can think of no simpler approach.

Also:
"Start Small; Dream Big" - Me
"The best tool I've found to bring the vision to life is prototyping" - Will Wright

If you want to make a MMO, start with a single Client/Server chat program. If you want to make a FPS, start with two blocks tracing each other. To use the parlance, you have to do a Work Breakdown Analysis of your project and start with the smallest tasks first. Be these prototypes or actual working modules, if you start trying to make the whole game at once, you will actually end up making nothing.

And finally:
"Know Thyself" - Bible (I think)

If you know your strengths and weaknesses, then you can compliment one and mitigate the other. Not everyone is meant to be a game designer or producer. Some people may only have enough time to do a few models a week or program a new module every few months. The sooner you know this about yourself, the easier it will be to ask for help and if you are offering help, it will be easier for you to be honest about your abilities (and get paid accordingly)

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/05/06 20:31

Here is another idea ...

I think that if you advertised for just one other person to help you with a small game - as fastlane says - start small...you would be unlikely to get that much flack... Look at a game like this one

in showcase II

Forget the time it has taken these guys - this is not their first game ... but look at the scope. It is not a huge multi-player game or a many level game with a story line etc.

It is a containable project and the sort of thing you should target for your first game. Get just one other person helping you on it...admit it is the first game so there are no misunderstandings or false expectations - and work through the exercise start to finish.

There is a casual market for such games which makes it an even more attractive first project to cut your teeth on.

Anyway - just another idea.
Posted By: Nardulus

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/05/06 20:53

Hi Ricardo,

Quote:

The thing I'm trying to impress upon you is that 3DGS is a mostly remote team community. In the last 3 Decades, I can't think of a single remote-team made game that has been a success. I'm sure they are out there, but I could probably count their products on one hand.

Can I add the exception to your rule.

Trophy Bass 2006 is very much a remotely done project made up of 3DGS people.

Florian Jungwirth is in Germany and he has supplied 100 percent of the art for the Game.

I am in Mpls and I have contributed a big chunk of the code.

Dan Niezgocki is working in Boston, and he has added shader code to the project. He currently is the project lead on the XBOX port.

I have one other 10 hour a week programmer, that works here in Mpls.

3 of the 4 main developers of Trophy Bass are 3DGS community members, working remotely.

Trophy Bass has over 200,000 pre orders which qualifies it as success in my mind.

So the right people on a small team can accomplish big things, remotley of course.

I have multiple projects that are using this remote model of development under contract, and many more that will be under contract by Spring.

Ken

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/05/06 21:49

Like I said, I could count the success of remote teams on one hand.
The only exceptions to this rule are people like Nardalus with a proven track record of completing games and 15+ years in game development...hardly representative of the 3DGS population.

That would make the score:

successful remote teams 1;
unsucessful remote teams 100;

I want to say that AB, BBR, and Glider were also made with remote teams, but as I don't know of their internal affairs, I can't say for sure. Assuming for a moment that they were, the score would be

Success: 4
Unsuccess: 97

Thus my point stands: remote teams have not yet proven themselves to be a successful development model for commercial or non-commercial game development within the 3DGS community. Add the pay-after-publish business model and you have an almost 100% guaranteed failure rate IMO.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Paid* Concept Artist for SciFi Shooter wanted - 01/05/06 23:32

Quote:

Hi, to all of you that are experienced in Character sketching or drawing, here is
what I need: A few Human Characters in SciFi Style, and 2 DIFFERENT Character
types is Special Forces style, so SWAT or FBI. I need them as reference images
for modelling so a front view and a side view will be necessery for this. My
Idea of payment is following:

If the game will be sold (comercial):
I am really planning on selling the game so
if you give me at least 5 different Characters, 5 male and 5 female, plus 2
different SWAT of FBI Style character types I will pay you about 25-50$ (depends on quality).

If the game will be Free (Freeware):
I doubt that it will but just in case, then I canot pay you for this project,
but I will menchan your name Bold in the credits and will pay you in my
next comercial title with the same paying concepts as shown above.

I hope anybody is interested and thank you for your time,

Kevin Erkelenz, AKA Sylver

I know that certain things have been cancelled, nevertheless I wouldn't mind drawing a few sketches for the amount of money you are offering. And don't worry I'm good enough, I'm sure about that, I'm drawing my own concept sketches all the time, so..

Cheers
Posted By: William

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/06/06 09:15

Quote:

Trophy Bass has over 200,000 pre orders which qualifies it as success in my mind.

Congrat's on the pre-order success. It's good to hear your projects continue to do well.

P.S - This past summer, my second cousin had told me about a great game he just bought. It turned out it was your previous fishing game that was made with 3dgs. He's into the outdoors and is currently going to school for a conservation officer. To him, the game was easily AAA. I figured i'd note that, as a few people have been saying 3DGS or remote teams never produced an AAA title. It all depends on who you talk to, and the market your in.

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/06/06 14:13

Trophy Bass may just be the exception to the rule.

However I still stand by my previous statement, all be it with an exception. The quality or completed titles with GS on the whole is not AAA standard. This is not a bad thing, it is just a factor of development. Some things that looked like a AAA title in the making, never got further than a few screens, bcz some of the dev members left, or had no time or got better jobs....

In contrast I know of a company with 36 employed AAA standard programmers, designers, modelers and animators who sold a million+ copies of their first title, yet their sequeal which had a bigger budget, failed misserably.... So AAA isn't everything

There are a lot of very talented people here, and the potential to create a top selling title is there.... I just havn't seen it yet. But then, who am I to judge? After all I have no AAA title of my own to show!

Personally I think when you start out on this game development road, it is very lonely, and the thought of having a few others working with you on your idea is a comforting thought. Yet, if my company could afford to employ a handful of the experts here for a project we would. Why? Simply put bcz then its a job not a hobby.

If one of the team are not pulling their weight how can you change that if they are a volunteer? working for a far off reward that seems unlikely?

Finally, if your concept is good and you are a capable Production Manager, why would you want to hand out royalties or % of your money? I would sooner pay a fixed fee for a contract apon completion, than give away ownership of my titles.

What happens if you create an iconic game, get some of the expert character modelers to come up with some models, your game is very succesfull and the merchandise department wants to make figures of your characters.... who gets the money?

I write music as my hobby, if I produced the music for your game who would get the royalties? Performance Rights? Wouldn't I be paying myself out of my % of revenue???

Working for free is fine, but working for a % of revenue or royalties is bad business.

As several people here have pointed out, Work for % of possible sales is not something you see in a proffesional business plan, games industry or otherwise, and it would not make sense to embark on this road IMHO.

However, as far as I understand things, in most cases you would not be developing a complete game. The aim would be to develop a working demo to proove you can complete the full game, should it be picked up. To have 90% of the game code in place is a good start, but 100's of models and world environments is not. You should only develop what is needed to complete your proof. This is something easier to budget for and raise funding for. Produce your business plan, establish what is required for the proof, then work out what you need, in terms of resources and man power. Then and only then, would I look at recruiting more people.

Just my 2 cents

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/06/06 17:42

Quote:

The aim would be to develop a working demo to proove you can complete the full game, should it be picked up.

This makes alot of sense for our community.
If instead of people gathering together with hopes of making a complete game ("Dream Big"), they instead recruit people to merely make a passable demo ("Start Small"), they can then use the demo to gather funding for real development.

This is an excellent solution to the 3DGS Dilema:

a) A person (the game designer lets say) has a great idea for a game. They work on a very rough Game Design Document and a rough Technical Design Document (this can be all of two pages combined, but write something down). The empahsis of the GDD and TDD is the DEMO not the full game

b) This person uses the GDD and TDD to recruit the right people to make the demo. The promise here is actually quite novel: you won't receive any royalties since you aren't selling anything, but if the demo gets picked up and funded, by working on the demo, you get first crack at working on the full product.

c) A few people volunteer and make the demo. It's small and doesn't look great by any means, but adequately describes the "vision" for the larger game. Depending on your proficiency with 3DGS, this shouldn't take more than a few months to complete...any longer and you are going to lose your volunteers attention as well as probably working on too large a demo.

d) Armed with the demo and some experience, the game designer goes back and spends some time re-writing the GDD and TDD. During this time, they also work out a Business plan. Included in this plan is the Budget to support all the volunteers that helped you in the demo. Mind you, this doesn't have to be done by the GAme Designer alone. The volunteers may be MORE than happy to help you with this since getting paid is dependent more on these documents (and the demo) than anything else.

e) Armed with the BP, GDD, and TDD, you go out into the world and try to sell your idea. If no one buys, then you take this as a learning exercise and try to figure out what didn't work and fix it and what did work and emphasize it. If someone does buy, then there isn't any of this pay-after-publish ordeal; the volunteers get paid immediatly for development of the real product which is included in the BP Budget.

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/06/06 19:46

Quote:

This makes alot of sense for our community.
If instead of people gathering together with hopes of making a complete game ("Dream Big"), they instead recruit people to merely make a passable demo ("Start Small"), they can then use the demo to gather funding for real development.

Although I like the approach, in all honesty, I do not believe the forum dynamics will allow this approach to work for so-called newbies. But it might be fine for established forum members. And, as I have said, I do like the idea.

If you are a newbie though- I suggest to you make every effort to define a first project that you can do on your own or with one other person. Start small with a small project. Use it to become established. There is no other way in my opinion. It may suceed. It may fail. But either way, you will learn a lot from it.
Posted By: Nardulus

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/06/06 22:14

Hi Ricardo,

This is a very good way for a team to get rolling.

The is one little hitch that may or may not come up. This is the fact that the publisher would only want a portion of your team. I.E. the coders, and not the artists, or the artists but not the coders. This occasionaly happens when publishers pick up new projects.

For Example, my artists had to take a back seat to the Disney artists when Disney was publishing my software.

You want to be careful what you can promise your team once you start pitching the game. Being a new team your leverage will be very small. The publisher will have ultimate control of what your team make-up will be.

A split of profits for team members is a fairy tale. It's just is not going to happen in the real world of publishing. Anyone offering that has no experince in getting projects published and should be avoided like the plague....

You need to think in terms of fixed costs.

6 programmer months @ $25 per hour = $24,000
9 artist months @ $25 per hour = $36,000
3 Producer months @ $25 per hour = $12,000

Project Development Cost Total $72,000

Maybe these can be converted into shares of ownership in the project.

Things get complicated if you have one group do the demo, then a different group does the actual full game production.

Additional costs to the group:

Now how much money would you pay to have an experienced game pitch man get you a deal. Many companies pay up to 50 percent of there revenue to the group that gets them the deal. 30 percent seems most fair.

Cost's associated with travel for face to face visits with publishers, purchasing skills not in the group, purchasing materials to create marketing materials.

Who is the "Bricks and Motar" contact person / company. Publishers will want a contact person that has a permanate mailing address, etc.

Bottom line the most succesful teams do this not for finacial rewards but other rewards. Like being part of a motivated team, reputation, resume upgrading, and just good old fashioned experience. A balance of an experienced and newbies is a good way to spread the knowlege wealth in building games with remote teams.

Ken
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/08/06 17:39

Some very interesting discussion here. I'd like to get back to Sylver's problem for a bit.

Franky, I think what he was offering was very reasonable. My impression of America is that everyone is rich and I bet even the street beggers make more than $25 an hour, which is probably why you have so many of them. I could be wrong, but it seems that way.

My first job as a graphic artist paid $NZ180 per week for a 40 hour week. That works out at $NZ4.50 per hour, a bit more if you count in my meager holidays, but I didn't get any special allowances for transport or a pension plan or anything like that. NZ$4.50 is about US$2! I was one of the lucky ones. Only one other person from my art course went on to a full time job afterwards, and that was because he went to London.

For my $2 per hour I would produce ink and chinagraph illustrations of the clothes the store was selling for newspaper advertisements. After a bit of practice I could kick out a finished peice in less than an hour often inclding cut and paste (it was an old fashioned department store. No computers).

If you paid anyone US$30,000 per year in NZ, it would put them in the highest tax bracket, and they would have to pay about half of it to the government and be considered wealthy.

The highly talented manga artists in Tokyo make less than people who work in comvenience stores. Starting programmers and artists in the game industry make make about &#65509;180,000 per month, which is about US$1,600. They tend to work longer hours for that, too.

For a talented commercial artist, kicking out a professional quality sketch in twenty minutes shouldn't be a big issue as it is something they do all the time. If they are not up to the level where they can produce art quickly and confidently like that, does not make them worth more because they need to spend more time on it.

Anyway, I just wanted to show you another perspective. Especially for artists, even making a living out of it can be tough.

In any case, Sylver, do not advertise how much you are prepared to pay. Call for portfolios first, then talk with the artists one on one and see if you can negotiate a price that you are both happy with. Here is not the only place to look. Go to a site like Deviant Art and browse. Also, as Ken said, a lot of people aren't doing this just for the money. You might find someone who wants to be a part of making a video game (but give them a contract and pay them anyway).

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/09/06 19:46

Interesting and related thread on the IGDA boards discussing outsourcing and royalty team models.

http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.ph...mp;pagenumber=1

As you can see, most people in this professional forum are also disenchanted with the royalty model and assert quite firmly that they don't know of any current projects that use this as their main business model.

Re: Nevermind! :: Canceled! - 01/10/06 12:56

A very interesting thread Fastlane, and it touches on some good points.

I have a huge amount I would like to say and ask about this subject, although I think it would be mostly lost, being now way off topic... Certainly needs a disussion thread of its own this one.

I think that there will always be different approaches, and of course sometimes these new ways of doing things change the way people do business, but on the whole, thats a rare thing indeed. That said I think what Jamie really highlights is that there may well be approaches that are better suited to the more advanced users here, than they would be for a new developer.

As a new developer you will need anything from 6-18 months before you can grasp what the A6 engine can actually do, and get some idea for the market you might want to go for. Everyone has the game they want to make, but that's not to say it will be successful, you need to find your niche. Spend those early months creating...small games, little testers, if your target game is going to be a driving game, make mini games related to driving. make a block drive around... break it up into small parts so you can learn each stage and requirment.

Personally I have been developing game content for over a decade but only in the last 6 months, after more than 2 years with A6, do I think I am 'nearly' ready to put together a commercial title.

Going back to the earlier post from Fastlane: Basically this is my production plan around which I am building my business plan. From my experience working alongside my AAA Senior Producer friend, I have learned a great deal about how they do business.

Much of their time is spent concepting, that is, coming up with ideas for a game, basic style, gameplay etc. This is never more than 2xA4. The ideas that make it this far, often then have images added to them, generally sourced from the web. Pictures that convey style, ideas, similiar scenes and so forth.

If they feel very strongly about a certain concept they will then take it to the next stage, although as they have a good relationship with their publishers they don't always have to produce a working demo, and often just pitch the idea. However I don't think people here have that luxury. So concepts that are developed further, usually bcz the publisher has said they would like to see more of X concept, are turned into a small playable or self running demo. Usually no more than a level, some CGI and music, things that help carry the ambience and feel. Unique features are often showcased at this stage, as well as artistic concept sketches and anything else that can help to quickly convey the concept and proof that it is possible.

We could all suggest a real time MMorpg with 10million people playing in one server, but if its not possible your wasting your time.

I know I have already gone on to long, but I really wanted to reply to Ken's excellent post. First off....
Quote:

A split of profits for team members is a fairy tale.

I couldnt agree with you more. 99-100% this is a sign that the person is not in a position to put together a project and has no real understanding of the business. I have no knowledge of a succesful project based around this strategy. When I asked my firend he said, 'for % profits?' and laughed for a good few minutes...

Your comments about publishers forcing your hand, in terms of who's staff will finish the project, I have to say this is not as uncommon as people may think. As far as I can tell, with my limited experience with my friends development company, their publisher had quite a lot of say over how the game would be developed and who would do the developing. Work that was outsourced was also redirected, simply the publisher can often do the same task cheaper, or at least with less loss to them. It doesn't only apply to your staff, I know that their sequel title was less succesful for this very reason. The original games appeal was that it didn't follow the style of COD , Doom3 and so forth, yet the publisher wanted the sequel to adopt more elements from these titles to be more competative. A bad call if you ask me...and sales certainly suggest I am on the side of right here

That said, to develop a proof-of-concept as I suggest and fastlane defines, would require a minimal team, in fact if you can't develop your proof with as few as 2-4 people, your not ready to proof. So with that said, to complete a title you will need more like 20-30 staff and anything upwards from there.

Sorry that I don't name the developers directly, but I am unsure as to the legal position when discussing general business practice. They had 40 staff, artists, programmers and so forth, as well as outsourcing large chunks of their development to 3rd party companies. So as long as your proof team is small I don't think you would have too many problems ensuring their employment should the concept be picked up.

When we talk about how much it will cost to employ the people who have given you their expertise to manage, you have to consider the realistic costs, as you suggest, and you also have to factor in that these people worked for 2-3 months, unpaid, and took the gamble on your concept. Simultaneously you have to consider that they choose to do this work as they also believed in the concept and wanted a piece of that pie.

Obviously I think exact figures really do depend on the scale of your project and the expected workload to compelte the project as well as the required skill level.

As a result I would look to offer a competative and realistic salary, a minumum emplyment contract term of 12 months, with appropraite benefits and so forth, based on similiar positions advertised via web agencies and so forth.

I would then offer a share option as you suggest, although I would prefer this to be shares in the new dev company, rather than the title itself, as I think this would be very much a one of business strategy, designed to launch a new indi developer, and therefore that investment in the companies future would be more appealing to me. It would mean that should the company win new contracts, possibly delivering already concepted titles from outside the firm, the people who invested in that first demo and ultimatly the company will benefit from that first title and also from the future successes of the company, god willing.

Lets look at the failures of this plan? You get the small team together and make your proof, and its not picked up? This could take a few months and maybe even longer. Is this a real loss? Ok yes it is, if you set your heart on making one proof and becoming a millionair, but I can't see it like that. First of all its a portfolio addition, that could win you the next proof. All people involved in the project would be part of something bigger than the sum of its parts, that no doubt would be showcased here on the forum if not on the main conitec site....This in turn generates more opportunitues for all envolved. It also proves you can work as a team, showing great skill in programming is good, but if you don't work well in a team, or an unknown in that respect, you are less likely to find employment.

Im going to shut up now, as I could probably go on about this for pages and pages. It is a subject that is close to my heart at the moment, while I try to navigate my way through the war zone of this business...

Thanks for reading my thoughts, I look forward to responses.
Very interesting brain food
© 2024 lite-C Forums