Project Titanic

Posted By: Adamthedroog

Project Titanic - 08/28/11 04:58

Hello all,

I'm am interested in creating a video game set on the R.M.S. Titanic. I am a 3D modeler and have a good idea for a storyline. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: Project Titanic - 08/28/11 09:58

Just a hint: Post some of your work to show that you are serious with your idea. Some models, a basic demo, ...

By this you'll find your team easier!

Re: Project Titanic - 08/28/11 22:47

Ok then. I don't have a demo cause I'm brand new to game studio but here's a video of the model I'm working on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcvkqIHg6S4
Posted By: Quad

Re: Project Titanic - 08/28/11 22:49

If i could see the wire-frame versions of the renders i could be more certain but your models are not suitable for games.

Re: Project Titanic - 08/28/11 22:54

Ok, how so? Sorry, I'm self taught and have never made a game before.

Re: Project Titanic - 08/28/11 23:01

Here are some wireframe views.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/aniccdeck.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/aniccdeck1.png/
Posted By: Quad

Re: Project Titanic - 08/28/11 23:17

Modelling for games are a lot different than modelling for rendering/movies. They are two different lines of profession.

Your walls look fine. But you see these curtains and the legs of the table? Too much polygons? As you begin to populate room with more props, these just won't do. Amounts of polygons you can use is limited. You need to reach to a quality with as less polygons as possible. You may need to add some details by texture and alot with bump maps.

Re: Project Titanic - 08/28/11 23:20

Right, right. I've heard that before. So just so long as I keep the polygons at a minimum everything should be fine?
Posted By: Joey

Re: Project Titanic - 08/29/11 02:39

yup.

Re: Project Titanic - 08/29/11 04:08

Alrighty then, thanks for the advice!

Now then, is anyone willing to give me a hand?

Re: Project Titanic - 08/29/11 12:33

You said you are a 3D modeler and have this caption in your video "IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO DO TEXTURE MAPS PM ME PLEASE."? wink
Posted By: RealSerious3D

Re: Project Titanic - 08/29/11 12:44

Originally Posted By: PadMalcom
You said you are a 3D modeler and have this caption in your video "IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO DO TEXTURE MAPS PM ME PLEASE."? wink

Not all modelers do textures.

Re: Project Titanic - 08/29/11 13:07

Yeah and not all coders do comments. Thats okay but does not look nice.

Re: Project Titanic - 08/29/11 23:53

Originally Posted By: PadMalcom

Well, like I mentioned earlier, I'm self taught but I know what I'm doing to a pretty good extent and by the way, if you're not here to help then why are you here, to ridicule me?
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Project Titanic - 08/30/11 00:12

hey exactly what type of game are you trying to make here ? in terms on gameplay that is ? will the entire game take place on the ship ?

Re: Project Titanic - 08/30/11 00:18

Yes, I was thinking of have the way beginning not on the ship to provide a backstory for the main character but most of the game would be set on the ship.

Re: Project Titanic - 08/30/11 00:18

wat type of gameplay

Re: Project Titanic - 08/30/11 00:35

I was thinking that it could be a puzzle/stealth game but there would be some fighting mixed in at various points of the game. Here's a summary of the story I have in mind:

The player plays as a young boy. The boy lives with his mother in a bad area of Southampton. His dad is absent from his life since he knocked up his mother then left soon after. The boy is a bad seed. He robs people, burglarizes homes, etc. One nite, he robs a man who has two third-class tickets to Titanic. He brings it home to his mother, who is American, and tells her that he bought her the tickets so she and him can go to America. He continues his antics on board Titanic and is soon recruited by members of the mafia to do work for them. Over the course of the game, he realizes the horror of true crime. During the sinking he has to get his mother and him off of the ship whilst avoiding the mafia.
Posted By: gri

Re: Project Titanic - 08/30/11 07:33

... yeah and he could climb on the railling and shout "I'm the king of the world"

grin Sorry couldnt resist grin

wish you much fun with your project.

regards ,
gri

Re: Project Titanic - 08/30/11 12:30

idea sounds good, i can picture it, its reminding me of the game "the bully"... however ahm, why titanic? you plan to sell this? because i think you know you cant if youre calling this titanic

[EDIT]
i suggest you do the ENTIRE ship with as low amount of polygons as possible and as less detail as possible, just to get a sense of scale, i dont know how big that ship but i wonder how much gameplay you could squeeze into that ship before it becomes boring
Posted By: alpha_strike

Re: Project Titanic - 08/30/11 12:49

A big defect of this community is that the majority wants to play with "things" a while - before admitting - that the majority is not able to make your game and the fist full people which are able to help, are professionals with no time for "doing some stuff for nothing".
So better forget it early that somebody is willed to help you with a result.
And better donīt believe people which tell you about wonders.
Posted By: nomis23uk

Re: Project Titanic - 08/30/11 15:37

First all great idea for a game, brilliant love it.

I think starting out to just do a the cabin first is the way forward if your going to create a game like the titanic its going to take you a while as an indie gamer proberly atleast 2 years if you worked on it solid every day.

What your asking for really here is somone to create it for you by the way things are written which like the above person said I'll be amazed if anyone will do it for you for free.

My Advice

For what its worth, I would go through the efforts of learning 3dgs yourself and do 99% of things yourself the project will be far more rewarding.

Best places to start are the books Getting started with conitec's 3d gamestudio and the official guide to 3d gamestudio. also lookthrough the workshops with can be found on this site and read / look at 20% of the aums thats where I started and so far I have learned a great deal.

Quote:
that the majority is not able to make your game and the fist full people which are able to help, are professionals with no time for "doing some stuff for nothing".

I'm not calling myself a professional but I agree and disagree with that comment. all of us are willing to help just look at the public help thats available for free on this forum already.

the main thing with 3dgs and what ive noticed is: You've gotta help yourself before others can help you. try learning it and creating things yourself first, show us the things your stuck on and we will try to help you.

Nobody (with half a brain) will sit down and code an entire game for you. reason being: We all need to be able to afford to eat. (which is why you wont find free stuff with top quality done.)

Nomis out.

Re: Project Titanic - 08/30/11 22:25

When I started this thread I didn't actually think that this game would be made for sure. I started because I'm brand new to game making and especially game studio and these forums. Mainly I made this just to see if it would go anywhere. Mostly everyone has been really helpful and has given me a ton of information about everything. I see the point that most of you are making and I now feel this isn't the time to make this game unless someone else would like to take command. That would be great, there's a lot more to the story than what I said and I have some other ideas that could be included in the gameplay.

Re: Project Titanic - 08/31/11 01:08

well maybe you should focus on replying to the helpful/curious comments rather than to the critics, read the critics but no need to reply to them, doesnt take you further

Re: Project Titanic - 09/02/11 12:25

Same thing then other way 'round wink
© 2024 lite-C Forums