Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title

Posted By: Ichiro

Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 02/23/10 20:31

Dejobaan Games, LLC is looking for creative technical people to help develop algorithmic content generators for its 14th title. This is fun tidbits of for-credit work with an award-winning game development studio that may lead to paid contract work.

WHO IS DEJOBAAN GAMES?

We're the developers behind AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! -- A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, a BASE jumping game where you leap off of a perfectly good building, create your own stunts, and flip people off for points. Our 13th title, Aaaaa! has gained critical and commercial success:
  • Finalist, Independent Games Festival 2010
  • Finalist, Indie Game Challenge 2010
  • Winner, ModDB Editor's Choice Best Indie Game of 2010
  • Winner, Penny Arcade Expo 2010 (PAX East) Boston Indie Showcase
  • Metacritic highlighted as 20th highest-ranked PC title of 2009
Aaaaa! has appeared in print (PC Gamer, Edge, Gee Magazine), online (Joystick, Kotaku, Rock Paper Shotgun), and will shortly make an appearance on G4 TV. It's currently published on Steam, D2D, Gamer's Game, Impulse, and WildTangent.

THE WORK

We're now creating small, modular pieces for the level generation engine for our as-yet-unannounced 14th title. Basically, we create a script that instantiates a bunch of entities in interesting patterns. Here are some examples of our early work:

What's that!? It's what we call level skeletons -- the basic building blocks upon which Aaaaa!'s levels were created. Here's an example of the script that generates such a pattern:

As you can see, this is a subset of C-Script. We're looking for people who can create such scripts.

CONTRACT BASICS
  • 8 weeks, 10h/week.
  • Familiarity with C-Script or Lite-C.
  • This is for-credit on a published game.
  • You must be 18+.

GET INVOLVED!

With our 14th title, we hope to outdo our previous efforts, win even more awards, and just have fun. laugh We hope to provide you with solid experience working with a proven team on a fun, high-profile project. To get involved, send over your resume/CV or portfolio to support@dejobaan.com. We want to hear about your work! Feel free to post questions to this thread. No forum PMs, please.

If you think this might be appropriate for someone, please send them this way. And thanks for reading!
Posted By: ambe

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 02/23/10 20:53

we're not worthy ! tongue well I'm not anyways ^^
Posted By: Joquan

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 02/23/10 22:19

I am not 18+, plus, I am not a coder. I would help you out with a little bit of site art, etc, but like I said, I'm not 18+. I am in high school, and I am running my own game studio now, but I still might have had time with this. Good luck in winning your awards!

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 02/23/10 22:55

> I am not 18+

This is not to say that folks under 18 aren't talented. There's lots here. laugh But to enter into a legally binding contract, we have to work with someone who's not a minor.

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 02/23/10 23:10

Well, if you need a logo or something done, I will be willing to do it for free. Just send me a PM. wink
Posted By: Slin

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 02/23/10 23:12

Well, I already started writing an email. But after getting myself something to eat, which also gave me some more time to think about it, I remembered that days only have 24h, which I already filled up with school, sports, other projects and sitting around unmotivated, waiting for a flash of insight for the problem which destroyed all motivation, or just playing some boring games due to that lack of motivation... If a day could just take longer -.-

However, good luck at finding someone suitable. It seems like a hard but interesting and fun job wink
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 02/24/10 11:42

@Slin,
i know that motivation problem but isn't a opportunity like this job just a perfect excuse to not be bored?

As i can see, it's only 8h/week, so only 1.15 hours per day. I'm sure you can find that much time and i think you should take it as you are such a good programmer and you find this job offer "interesting and fun".

So give it a try laugh

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 02/24/10 20:03

I completely understand Slin's point of view, and appreciate it -- if he's swamped, then taking on more work won't do anyone any good. laugh

We worked with a few students over this past summer for internship credit, and they got enough out of it that they stayed in non-internship capacities over the school year. Basically, what we gave them was experience working on something fun, and the ability to open up a magazine at a job interview and say "See? I worked on this game! Hire me!"

Also, I like to think Dejobaan's a group of really nice guys and gals. So far, nobody's run away, crying.

Except me.

Sometimes.

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/03/10 17:37

Any takers? We're nice guys and gals to work with; it's fun work; and it'll be rewarding. Honest!

Man, either I scared everyone away, or everyone hates us. wink
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/03/10 17:43

or everyone thinks the tasks may be too hard and know that youre a successful group and arent sure if they can dedicate enough time wink
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/03/10 18:25

or everyone has their own projects and would love to join up but can't because they don't want to leave their current project to die... again. <- talking from first hand experience here.

Sorry. Would love the job. Task sounds like tons of fun. So, anyone who's unsure: join them! laugh
Posted By: alibaba

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/03/10 18:28

or everyone thinks, that you are so professional, that noone can hold with you.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/03/10 22:27

...or someone could think "They are successful, earning cash for their games but still looking for someone working for free?" (or for 'be part of something BIG')

Ichiro - beginners will not join (you're too successful and professional) - advanced have their own projects and a pro will not work for free.

That's a catch-22... wink
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/03/10 23:07

You could make a little mockup level (does not really need
to have the pretty graphics or gameplay) and put it online.

So people can play around to generate these nice effects
you are looking for.

This way you can let multiple people to participate for free,
and pick the best work/person.

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/03/10 23:15

> Ichiro - beginners will not join (you're too successful and professional) - advanced have their own projects and a pro will not work for free.

Fair enough. laugh We've actually had good luck finding talented college students looking for internships. These have mostly started off unpaid, in exchange for solid industry experience working on a shipped title.

That's the kind of person we're looking for in this project -- I figured I'd poke around here for anyone who fit that bill and also knew a little bit about A7.

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/04/10 01:08

Would you be offering a part-time internship thing for those who are younger than 18? I could do it for a few hours, some weekends, but I am only available at random times, so the only way, would be if I am available at the same time. I couldn't take it like a normal internship, and it MUST be work-from-home.

Also, I am willing to work for free completely.
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/04/10 01:52

Have sent you a PM grin

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/04/10 15:02

Me?
Posted By: rvL_eXile

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/04/10 15:13

dont think so... Think matt means Ichiro...

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/04/10 19:17

Oh okay lol.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/04/10 19:51

Originally Posted By: Ichiro
> Ichiro - beginners will not join (you're too successful and professional) - advanced have their own projects and a pro will not work for free.

Fair enough. laugh We've actually had good luck finding talented college students looking for internships. These have mostly started off unpaid, in exchange for solid industry experience working on a shipped title.

That's the kind of person we're looking for in this project -- I figured I'd poke around here for anyone who fit that bill and also knew a little bit about A7.

i would die to do my univ. internship at your studio, sadly, i am not in US.
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/09/10 13:39

So basically all there is to do is to create scripts which create procedural levels?
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/09/10 17:22

gah... really wish i could work with you guys, just sucks because I am not in the financial position to work for credit. frown

Re: Work with an Award-Winning Dev Studio on our 14th Title - 03/16/10 04:39

> So basically all there is to do is to create scripts which create procedural levels?

Our games are really simple. I'm a simple man. Simple desires. Yeah!
© 2024 lite-C Forums