Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ?

Posted By: NeoDumont

Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 11/28/14 22:56

Folks !

I recreated my texture/sprite animation programm (formerly PCXANIM) and it is nearly a final version now. I would like to know if there is still somebody intersted in this program, I would look for some webspace then and make it available for download.

What is PCXANIM ?

While shaders do an excellent job for water and and other materials today, PCXANIM does create oldskool animated sprites or textures quickly with a few mouseclicks. Two formats can be created: the standard animated sprite "filmstrip" bmp as well as exported bmp sequences for animated textures like +0lava to +9lava (see Gamestudio manual) ready to be imported in wed. PCXANIM may also be handy to add FX for MDL skins.

Beside standard load and save functions (with overlay) there is quick clipaord exchange possible for single bmp and bmp animations (hor. filmstrip), so you can use your favourite paintprogram for additional FX via filters. Then you can send it back through the clipboard to PCXANIM and see the animation instantly.

PCXANIM can create seamless (for tiling) animations with several options.

Main effects are:

Choose color
Colorfill all - Fills the filmstrip with the choosen color
Ring - creates ring animations.
RecurFX - Creates seamless animations (start/end/border) for flow or plasma like fx
Pulsate - let the contents of the filmstrip pulsate in luminance
Trace - creates traces from animations
Grey - Converts the color animation into grey colors
Flicker - creates some flickering
Shift vertical - scrolls the animation vertical
Shift horizontal - scrolls the animation horizantal
Reverse - lets the animation run backwards
Blur - blurs the animation
Black/White - transforms the color animation into black and white
Rustle - creates "white noise"
Darken - darkens the animation
Lighten - lightens the animation
Fade - fades out an animation
Faadeinout - blends/fade an animation in and out
Quake - Earthquake fx
Rotate - Rotates the animation
RotateHor - Pseudorotates an animation horizontal
ShrinkX - Shrinks an animation horizontal
ShrinkY - Shrinks an animation vertical
Zoomin - Zooms in the animation

Some effects have options for customising the animation effect

Two or three more effects will be added and are not yet mentioned above.

With a little training of combining the effects you can create nice animations including
water fx and many many more. A demo level will be included in the download.

So if you are intersted in PCXANIM, please let me know.
(PCXANIM will be freeware smile )

Best wishes !

Neodumont
Posted By: 3run

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 11/29/14 12:27

As I do really like old school look, I'm very interested!

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 12/12/14 13:51

Hmmm...

I see that there is hardly any interst in PCXANIM and therefore I will not publish it.

3RUN: I will contact you when the first reliable version is ready. That may be in two or three weeks. I then can send you a copy of PCXANIM if you want.

Neodumont
Posted By: Altarius

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 12/12/14 15:31

I'm very interested to!
Posted By: litecCbeg

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 12/12/14 17:58

I'm also very interested!

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 12/12/14 18:08

Originally Posted By: NeoDumont
3RUN: I will contact you when the first reliable version is ready. That may be in two or three weeks. I then can send you a copy of PCXANIM if you want.

Neodumont
Sure, I'm! I'll be happy to test it and use it in my farther projects!

greets

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 12/15/14 23:11

Ok,

I added the folling FX to PCXANIM:

SwingHor - Swings an animation from right to left and back
Zoominout - Zooms in and out an Animation, giving a nice Eyecatching FX.
Upndown - The anim jumps up and down. Maybe for Water FX of a waterfall.
4FieldBlur - True seamless bluring FX for Plasma and flow FX

Ring FX improved (more 3D looking rings if needed)

Overlay loading from Clipboard or disk now works fine (single bmp or anim)

-----------

I also started the Demo level "Mistery Island" (Shuhuu!) to demonstrate what PCXANIM is really able to do.

Still some more FX to be added. Planned so much.

I think, I will release the first Beta version and the Demo Level around XMAS.

Can send you a copy then.

Greets and peace for you all !

Neodumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 12/16/14 07:19

great news! laugh I'll be waiting for it!

best regards
Posted By: litecCbeg

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 12/16/14 15:31

It sounds great! I'm looking forward to its release!

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 12/26/14 14:09

Sorry folks, PCXanim is not yet ready to be released. Need one more week or so, I think. There were some strange bugs I had to remove. I also want to add a good quality wed demo level with much PCXanim FX as possible, which I am working on as well.

Some more FX were added to PCXanim:

Laser
Pixelfire
Noise

RecurFX:
Colums/Rows
Move RND

Rotate:
Foreward/backward

NeoDumont
Posted By: tolu619

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 12/26/14 19:25

Change the thread title if you really wanna know how many people are interested. Change it to something like "want a free texture/sprite animation tool?" or "want a pocket-friendly texture/sprite animation tool?"

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/03/15 13:49

Sorry folks, the release of PCXanim still takes a while...

New addded features:

Alive: Gives some Kind of life to a texture

RSZ_Load: Allows loading and resizing formerly created animated sprites (filmstrips) as an "underlay" of an (mostly static) animation held in memory. The resized and underlayed animation is displayed then through color RGB(0,0,0)of the main animation held in memory.

This way skin sequences for MED Models can be created easily with multiple smaller animations implemented, lets say for a control console with 3 monitors with different animations as well as flickering control lights, radar screen or other FX.

A MED Model dwarf could get red glooming eyes or a green flashy lightning FX on his surface, controlled by a script.
Very easy to use and powerful feature.

Ok, thats it, please keep patience...

NeoDumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/19/15 20:07

Again: Sorry Folks, I m still working on a more bugfree version of PCXanim. The Demolevel is ready to be released, I'm just adding some notes how the FXs were created at the moment.

PCXanim, well, needs maybe one or two more weeks.

Please be patient, I assure you the result will be worth the waiting.

NeoDumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/20/15 07:48

It's great to hear mate. Just keep it up, we'll wait as long as needed!
BTW giving us few sneak-peek screens would be nice laugh

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/20/15 17:43

@3run: I don't think it makes sense to post a scrrenshot of the demolevel, because it is about sprite and texture animation, and the animations cannot be shown with a screenshot. A still could hardly give any impressions of the animationFX.

So, again, plze keep patience, I try to hurry.

Neodumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/24/15 22:53

The Demo level "Mystery Island" (Demonstrates some PCXanimFX) can now be downloaded from this adress (Thank you square7):

http://juergen-hunke.square7.ch/pcx.cd.zip

The folder PCX.cd has been tested with AVG Anitvirus 2015 for viruses, (none found.)

The folder includes a readme file with a short description how the FXs were created.
All sprites and models are accessible, so you can have a closer look to my work.

Please note this is just a small demo, I created it quick and dirty.

PCXanim itself will be available within the next days I think.

NeoDumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/26/15 08:14

I've just tested the demo, it looks pretty nice, I really liked effects, especially those water flowing ones.
I'm looking forward to test the tool itself! It will be a great help for me to create oldschool games! laugh

best regards
Posted By: Altarius

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/26/15 18:26

Really nice!

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/27/15 20:31

Thanks for the feedback !

The beta release of PCXanim (recreated) can now be downloaded from th following adress:

http://juergen-hunke.square7.ch/PCXanim_0.9.zip

Read the readme.txt first, then have fun and enjoy.

Greetings

NeoDumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/28/15 01:48

Folks,

I just found two bugs when running PCXanim on a very fast PC: Parts of the Windows taskbar are copied into the animation when the taskbar is in top position.
This affects shift_vert, shift_hor and swing only as far as I can see. Please pull down your taskbar to the bottom position to bypass this bug with this version. I will release a patched version soon.

BTW, PCXanim is developed further and more FX will be added the next weeks.

Greetz

NeoDumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/30/15 21:55

Hi Folks !

I changed some windows flip routines to prevent this taskbar problem, but was not fully successful. I don't know were this problem comes from, because it does not appear in interpreter mode of XPROFAN, nor on my old developement PC, but it does on a 3GHZ dual core 512mb video RAM machine, all win XP.
Anyway, please drag the windows taskbar down while working with PCXanim or set the taskbar properties to "automatically go to the background". When starting an application the taskbar goes to the background then. This fixes the problem.

I released the patched version with two new featers (PCXanim 0.91):

Imp bmpseq: Allows to load single bmps one after the other until the filmstrip is filled. Resizes bmps to the size set in PCXanim. Usefull
for importing from bmp sequences created from other programs.

Imp Imglist: Imports from so called "Imagelists"(x/y format). Open an Imgagelist file and enter how many rows and columns you see. The x/y sorted images of the imagelist will now be loaded and assembled to the filmstrip animation format used by PCXanim or Gamestudio.
Some programs create or use imagelists. An imagelist is a bmp which contains some images sorted as a row, column or grid. There is an explosion creator somewere on the net the Imp_Imglist feature is useful for.

The new version can be downloaded from here:

http://juergen-hunke.square7.ch/PCXanim_0.91.zip

Best wishes !

Neodumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 05/29/15 21:58

Folks !

I dont know why nobody posted here, that the last beta version of PCXANIM is not able to import from imagelists, as I announced, i would have appreceated a feedback. Anyway, PCXANIM 1.0 is now available with the following bugfixes and new features:

All buffer files are now saved to the WORK directory and not spread on your hardrive anymore.

Save texture .bmp sequence has a file/directory requester now.

Import from imagelists now implemented. Examples included.

Border seamless in RecurFX has better spreading now to avoid corners not fully seamless.

"About" info added.

Some display bugs fixed.

All beeps removed.

Delay loops removed.

Rotation bug fixed.

"Laser" FX improved a little.

"Swing" swings more soft now

"Alive" now works correctly (did not work before, just created black pixels).

"Electric" changed.

"Ring 2" added. Creates plotted rings, also multicolor rings.

"Ring 3" added. Creates rings from bmp animations. Good for fire rings or explosions.

Safer memory map handling to prevent crashes and save bmp animation bug.

All in all, as being version 1.0, PCXANIM works very stable now.

NeoDumont

You can download the new version from:

http://juergen-hunke.square7.ch/PCXANIM1.0.zip
Posted By: DLively

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 05/30/15 07:16

Hey thanks for your hard work!
you should put this in the wiki laugh
Posted By: sivan

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 06/01/15 07:51

yeah, just need to register at wiki, then you can edit the tools section laugh
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 06/01/15 14:06

@Neo after downloading Webroot is deleting the zip package as a problem. It doesn't like prospeed.dll""

Is the Download site modifying your distro ?

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 06/27/15 22:56

Ok, sorry for the long delay of my answer.

I will upload PCXanim to the GST Wiki after a new update I am planning to make it still more stable, bug free and powerfull.

@malice:

The prospeed.dll is from the gifted programmer Frank Abbing. It is pure assembler code and very sophisticated. I use it for a long time now and never had any problems with it while working with it on my development PC.

However , if my memory treats me well, there was another Virus checking program, which did not like the prospeed.dll, as I saw on the net some years ago.

I am deeply convinced that this dll does not do any dammage to your computer, but 'webroot' wants to delete the prospeed dll, just as many other virus checkers did before, recognizing software as Viruses, Trojans or Malware, although there aren't any at all.

Regards !

NeoDumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 09/13/15 14:42

OK,

I`ve compiled a package of sample animations, created with PCXanim. They are available for download from my webspace at

http://juergen-hunke.square7.ch/Samples.zip

The zip file contains 48 bmp filmstrips, mostly borderseamless, just 2 or 3 are not fully borderseamless. Please note, that the 20 frame animations must be loaded in PCXANIM with frame No. set to 20. All animatioans are 256x256 pixels of size, however still worth to be seen ore used, I think.

Greetings

Neodumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 11/21/15 21:29

Hello again, folks !

Here is another animated texture/sprite compilation, containing 45 new bmp filmstrips. Most of them have been created with the new implemented paintbox (beta) of PCXANIM.

I programmed the paintbox especially to replace the "electric" FX, which was just a dummy for a good lightning FX. For best lighning FX I leave it up to you now to draw your lighnting yourself with the paintbox. There are two demo lightning animations included in the package.

The paintbox has some options for using simple plotting, drawing for animations as well as using a bmp brush or animated brush( an animated GS sprite). So fire or steam sprites can be created easily. There are 3 fire sprites included (horiizontal seamless).

The PCXANIM 1.2 "Paintbox edition" will be released, well, I hope in 2 or 3 weeks.

Best regards !

NeoDumont
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download sample package 2 here:

http://juergen-hunke.square7.ch/Samples2.zip

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 12/30/15 15:32

Sorry folks, the release of the "Paintbox edition" of PCXANIM still takes some time because of heavy testing the new functions (alphatransparent animated paint brushes) and some other new FX.

So please be patient again...

Neodumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 03/26/16 20:24

OK, Folks, took some time to finish the Paintbox version 1.5 of PCXanim, sorry for that.
However you will see that the new paintbox functions are really worth the wait. I don't want to boast here, but I was surprised myself when I saw the results of the cyclic brush animations FX like "Greenfrog" or "Red flow" together with some simple filters of my old Ulead paintprogramm.
PCXANIm 1.5 still is freeware and free for personal or commercial use.
No installation process is required, just keep it in one folder.
Please understand that I started programming "PCXanim recreated" as a personal simple quick shot, so the User Interface may not match todays highly polished surfaces. But it works and does that what it sould do, therefore it was ok for me.

Many thanks go to Roland G. Huelsmann and his helpful spirits. Frank Abbing for his prospeed.dll, without this dll PCXanim would have never become what it is today.

So what is new:

NEW (Update from 1.0 to 1.5. March 2016):

Load animation and overlay animation are now able to check the size and number of frames of an animation bmp when loading.
No need to enter frames or size manually. File name must contain frame numbers as Name+X/Name+XX (e.g. Water+20.bmp).

Quick-Buttons for 10/20 Frame animation added. Create 10 or 20 256x256 new,blank(!) frames instantly. No need to use the Input box. Animations in memory will be ereased.

Cancel buttons for all bmp file loading now work properly.

S/E Seamless now works: S/E Seamles tries to blend the animtion held in memory with an offset to itself. Enter start frame and transparence factor with options button. S/E Seamless sometimes may be helpful to eleminate abrupt start and end flicker from an animation. Well, still not perfect.

Sharpen: Sharpens the animation. When repeated creates some cell FX. Has hardly any impact on black and white animationswith high contrast.

Open: Some kind of open door/gate FX. Splits the frame and scrolls to left and right.

Backwards: Reassembles the animation to be played backwards, side orientation kept (unlike flip).

Rot 90 Degrees: Rotates the whole animation to 90 degrees (no tweening).

Roll: Rolls the animation one frame to the left. May be useful to create fire sprites running asynchron in a 3D world.

PingPong: Creates a PingPong animation. A ten frame animation will be changed to an 18 frame pingpong animation.

Black Frame: Draws a black (RGB 0,0,0) Frame around each frame. To remove unwanted border pixels.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paintbox:

Paintbox lets you draw an animation. Originally I had in mind to just create a small paint section to let you paint
a Lighning FX. Paintbox however grew and now can create very sophisticated animations, especially when using the cyclic brush. Have a look at the greenfrog or drain animation in the samples3 folder. Paintbox uses alpha-transparence for the brushes avoiding black borders. Click on the color palette to change color for DRAW and LINE.

Use break to leave the paintbox.
Use right mouse button to save your painting and advance to next frame.
(Not in CYCLING ANIMATION)

Paintbox Options:

First you are asked to enter a pixel size (x = y) for the Draw circle diameter and all other brushes used in Paintbox.
Size can be changed after leaving the paintbox via break. You can go back then to the paintbox and continue.

Clear for next frame: When advancing to the next frame for painting it will be cleared first in RGB(0,0,0)

Overlay: The animation frame in memory will be loaded when advancing to the next frame. You will paint upon that frame.

Overlay 2: The animation frame from memory will be placed above the the painting when advancing to the next frame.
Not sure what this is good for.

Blueprinting: Works only with DRAW,LINE,SINGLE BRUSH and ANIMATED BRUSH. Frame size must not exceed 256 pixels horiz. (X-size). However 256x512 can be used. The main purpose for blueprinting here is to paint or place a bmp on a structure without pasting it into the blueprint. For example a ring animation can be used to place twinkeling stars on it, resulting in a Star-Ring FX. You can also us it to create some Lightning FX, those kind of snake like moving ones as seen in many ScFi movies. Blueprinting does not work with CYCLEANIMATION.

Paint Delay factor: Determinse a delay in milliseconds for brush use.
Brush transparence factor: 0-200. 0 most strongest brush.

DRAW: Lets you draw on each frame with a simple mono coloured circle. RMB advances to the nest frame.

LINE: Draws a line from the first mouseclick position to the next and so on. RMB advances to the next frame.

SINGLE BMP: Uses a single bmp as a brush. Load a brush in the options box. If you select an bmp animation the first frame of the filmstrip will be taken for the brush. Uses Alphatransparence.RMB advances to the next frame.

ANIMATION: Load an animation bmp. You are now using an animated brush. After placing one brush frame with a mouseclick the next will use the following frame of the brush filmstrip, cycling through the animation brush while painting on a frame. RMB advances to the next frame.

CYCLE ANIMATION: Load an animation bmp to use it as a brush. After clicking in a frame xy position the first frame of the brush animation bmp will be placed there in frame 1, the next in frame 2 of the main animation, and so on. So the whole main animation is cycled through automatically, and you are at the first frame again. Now move up your mousepointer a bit and click again.
The brush animation will cycle through the main animation once more, placing its frame brush in each frame, but with the significant difference that the animbrush started with its frame no.2, put in frame 1 of the main animation. Now move up the mouse a bit again and click. Frame 3 of the animbrush is used to start with and so on.
This way some kind of Flow FX can be created.
There is a folder included in the package with rotated brushes ready to be used for Cycle Animations, feel free to play around with the anim brushes,they are mainly for 20 frame animations.
Flip bmp: Flips the animated brush horizontally. Can be helpful.
Shift and scale: The CYCLE animation is shifted up and scaled up during cycling process. Use carefully.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Animated brushes must match the main animation size and number (!).
-------------------------------------------------------------------

The options requester usually enables and disables the options related to the Paintbox modes.

Thats all, Sorry for the long post.

You can download PCXanim 1.5 "Paintbox Edition" from here:

http://juergen-hunke.square7.ch/PCXANIM1.5.zip

Neodumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 03/29/16 22:42

Folks,

there were still some minor bugs concerning bmps loading "cancel" and loading certain frame sizes like the Blitz+10.bmp, which is 256x512 in Frame size.

Please download the following main PCXani50.exe and replace PCXani49.exe with it to fix the problems.

http://juergen-hunke.square7.ch/PCXANI50.zip

NeoDumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 04/14/16 22:04

OK, Folks ! Another PCXanim release.

Cyclic brushes can now fade, depending on the position they are placed, The higher you click in the frame the darker the animated brush is pasted in the main animation. Have a look at the nufire+10.bmp animation in the samples4 folder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the readme.txt:

NEW (Update from 1.5 to 1.6. April 2016):

"Delay" did not work for single brush in the Paintbox. Patched.

New functions:

Mirror: Copies the x flipped right half of an animation to the left.
A symetric animation is created, can look nice. The main purpose of mirror, however, is to support the creation of streaming and fluid FX in the Paintbox. A rotating brush now can be changed into an animation
where the left and right part move in the same direction . Well, more or less.

Fade to top: Cyclic brushes can now fade, depending on the position they are placed in a frame. The higher an brush animation is placed, the darker it will appear in the animation. Good for Fire and Steam animations. Fade to top works with 256 and 512 Y-Frame size only !

Get from main: A brush animation can now be retrieved from the main animation instead of loading from disk. Just to allow a faster workflow.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unzip the PCXanim55.zip file to your main PCXanim folder if you already have one. Replace your main PCXanim.exe with PCXanim55.exe. Have a look at the samples 4 folder or start checking the new FX.
If this is the first time you use PCXanim just unzip the folder.

OK, thats all.
Hope you like it.

Neodumont

Download it here:

http://juergen-hunke.square7.ch/PCXanim1.6.zip

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 05/12/16 19:51

Ok, folks !

This was an internal server error :-)

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 05/12/16 19:51

Ok, folks !

Another PCXanim release, a small update. This will be probably the last PCXanim to download from here, because I'm going to open my new homepage in the next weeks from where PCXanim and other stuff can be downloaded.

From the readme2.txt:

Hamburg 10.May 2016

This release is a small service update of PCXANIM, now Version 1.6.2

The console Window, as well as the work window, now have no MS-Windows borders anymore, because PCXanim opens the windows in mode $F0 by default. This bypasses all problems with large frame sizes like 512x512 when using certain effects.

"Get from main" Button now is activated when reopening the paintbox requester and "Cylic brushes" is active.

The "Open" FX now works exactly. Concerning symmetrie.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the main pupose of this release is to make 512x512 frame size animations more reliable. Also note that "Fade to Top" needs a screen resolution of 1024x768 to work correctly.

Download PCXanim 1.6.2 (Paintbox edition) from here:

http://juergen-hunke.square7.ch/PCXanim1.6.2.zip

Unzip the folder and replace the PCXanim exe you use now with PCXanim57.exe if you use PCXanim already.

If you use PCXanim the first time simply unzip the PCXanim1.6.2 zip file. There is no installation process required. Please read the readme files in the folder.
There are some bigger sample packages for download in the download links above.

J. Hunke (Neodumont)

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 07/29/17 01:06

OK, folks, another PCXanim Version !

Hope I don't annoy you too much with my hobby software.

The new version has some bug fixes and enhanced functions especially for cyclic brushes. New animation examples are included.

Update information from the Readme.rtf:

NEW (Update from 28.July 2017)

Bugfixes:

Save animation bmp bug fixed. No crases anymore.

Windows Pagefile filling bug fixed. A double function call filled up the windows pagefile until animation and Paintbox
work was nearly impossible. Fixed.

When in Paintbox mode CPU usage increased to 100% even when nothing was done by the user. Fixed. CPU usage is normal now.

Blur and 4field Blur did not blur the first frame of an animation sometimes. Fixed.

Fade to top: Better balancing for 256x512 framesize.

New Functions:

When starting Pcxanim asks you now how it should be executed, windowed or fullscreen.

Fastbutton for 10x256x512 memory bmp allocation added.

New functions for cyclic brushes (And they are mostly valid for cyclic brushes only):

Pressing "U" while in paintbox mode undoes the last action.

Scale by addpix: After every click the cyclic brush size is increased by x number of pixels. The value can be entered
after pressing the options button for the Paintbox. When pressing "R" while putting a brush in the animation frame the
original size of the brush will be restored.

Scale to top: The higher you paste the cyclic brush in the animation frame, the bigger it will be.

Make seamless: Brushes will also be pasted with a framesize offset at the opposite border when pasted near a frame border.
This will make your animation borderseamless/tileable. Make seamles is also valid for single brushes, in case that you want to use a frame as a tilable not animated texture.

Autoflip hor: Flips the animation brush after every pasting horizontally. Can create nice FX.

Autoflip vert: Flips the animation brush after every pasting vertically. Can create nice FX also.

Pressing the left arrow key while in paintbox mode rotates the animation brush 18 degrees left. The right arrow key rotates the anibrush 18 degrees right. This feature can create bowed animation streams. PLEASE (!) use this feature very carefully. I had program crashes when using the brushrotation to often or to wild. I tried to find this bug for about a week and gave up because it is somewhere in the deep of the profan runtime or prospeed.dll, not sure. Anyway, if you have a crash have a look at the BUNDO.bmp in the work folder of pcxanim. It should contain the last animation from Pcxanim paintbox. Rename it to BUNDO+10.bmp first(when using a ten frame animation) and reload it. Then load the animbrush you used and continue your work. Sorry for the inconvenience, but i have not the slightiest idea where the bug comes from. But I will keep it on my batch.
However, the results with rotated brushes can be very impressive, so give it a try. All other anibrush functions are not affected by this bug.

You can download the new version (July 2017) from here:

http://juergen-hunke.square7.ch/Pcxanim_1.7.zip

Best whishes, keep up your Gamestudio work.

NeoDumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 07/29/17 15:10

OK, back again.

Just saw that the blur and 4 field blur still skip the first frame. They work fine when profan is in Interpreteer mode, but after compiling to an exe they do this skipping again. Must be a timing problem. I will see what I can do for a bugfix the next week. Please use your gaussian blur filter from your paintprogram until I fixed the bug.

So long

NeoDumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 08/07/17 21:23

OK, folks !

Bugfix update for Pcxanim. Took me a long (!) time testing to find this ugly hidden bug. Phew ! Got grey hair about that.

From the updated manual:

---------------------------------------------------------

Bugfix Update (Update from 8.August 2017)

Cyclic Brush rotation (via arrow keys) now works stable. Rotate,paste and reload as much as you want.

Save bmp crashes now really should not happen anymore. This bug appeared after using rotate functions of Pcxanim. Now fixed, finally (God bless...). Man that was a mess really.

NEW: Up arrow key increases the cyclic anim brush size by 10 pixels while in paintbox mode. Arrow down key decreases the cyclic anim brush size.

-----------------------------------------------------------

How to update:

If you have Pcxanim already installed on you PC, simply replace the old (version 1.7 /65.exe) with the new Pcxani66.exe

If you use Pcxanim the first time please read the manual/readme.txt

Download from here:

MyWebspace

Best wishes and have fun

Neodumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 08/18/17 21:30

OK, Folks:

I'm very happy to announce that PCXanim (Version 1.7.1) now runs absolutely stable (Tested with Win XP). I tested it for some hours, switched between Corel Photo Paint and back, used the clipboard exchange and the paintbox intensively, changed size and frame number several times and encountered no crash.

I made some new texture animations, including some with bowed streams, mainly lava animations. You can download them here from my webspace:

My_webspace

Regards, Neodumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 06/12/19 17:39

OK, Folks!

I noticed, that PCXANIM still crashes sometimes, when trying to save an animation bmp (sprite). A more stable version can be downloaded now. Simply replace the old PCXANI66.exe with the new PCXANI68.exe, leave anything else as it is.

http://juergen-hunke.square7.ch/PCXANI68.exe

Sorry for the inconvenience !

Greets

Neodumont
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 07/21/19 22:23

I don't understand this program, almost any button I push causes it to crash...Maybe you are testing it on some system that is very different from mine.. (windows 10)

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 07/25/19 06:27

Hi Matt !

Infact PCXANI68.exe is not a standalone application. It is an updated exe for for PCXANIM as packed in Pcxanim_1.7.zip downloadable from my post earlier here (July 2017). The exe file in the zip package needs to be replaced with PCXANI68.exe. The exe needs the prospeed.dll and color map to run properly from its folder. OK, I confess it is a bit missleading to offer the last PCXANI68 Version that nacked. So it should run then on Win10, I tested PCXanim on some machines with WinXP and Win7 and had no problems.
I also have a GOLD Version in mind to be compiled with some new features and a more friendly user interface. Well if I only had a second life.

Greetings
Neodumont
Posted By: BorgNot

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 07/28/19 17:35

Runs okay, as far as I can see on my Win 10. Not sure how to create more bmp animations but looks nice.
Posted By: Eagle

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/26/21 11:47

I would like to try your PCXanim tool, it sounds Very useful !

Always~
Eagle

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/29/21 02:34

Hello Eagle !

I will release a "Best of" version-Full Package of PCX-Anim the next days. With one or two new features and a collection of the best animations I've created. You can download an older version (0.91) and use it. To get the newest version with the most features replace the Pcxanim.exe with the latest pcxanim68.exe, also downloadable from this forum.
To get impressive animations you need to experiment with combinations of the functions.
I know, a tutorial for PCXanim would be helpful, maybe I write one in the Future, costs time and nerves I dont have anymore.

Best wishes !

Neodumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/29/21 03:28

SWEET!

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/31/21 07:54

Ok,

This is the latest and last verion of PCXanim (1.8). All other downloads from this thread are now invalid. PCXanim development is now stopped.

The package contains the latest Pcxanim version and a small tutorial for using rotated brushes. As well as certain useful stuff. And a collection of the best animations I've created.

Download Pcxanim1.8

Best wishes !

NeoDumont

Re: Texture/Sprite animation tool. Someone interested in ? - 01/31/21 17:36

Thank you NeoDumont!
© 2024 lite-C Forums