Low poly terrain modell with Z-Brush

Posted By: TheShooter

Low poly terrain modell with Z-Brush - 11/22/11 14:18

Hi again,
I just want to create a great, detailled 3D terrain. So I just searched for a good tool, named Z Brush. But how can I create good low Poly terrains? There are many tutorials for high poly stuff around. But I cant find something for low poly.

Would be great, if someone can help me.

And Im not dead. grin

mfG TheShooter
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: Low poly terrain modell with Z-Brush - 11/22/11 14:42

Hey, I'm facing exactly the same challenge! Found Vue 8.5 today which has a free edition but it is, as well, high poly!

I wrote a tutorial for low poly terrains using BohHavocs Shade-C but it is based on an old version and I want to avoid shaders.

http://www.jofre.de/?p=584

If you find another good solution please post laugh
Posted By: gri

Re: Low poly terrain modell with Z-Brush - 11/22/11 15:31

maybe the free version of L3DT ?

dont used it myself

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Low poly terrain modell with Z-Brush - 11/22/11 15:44

It may sound like a dumb question, but why not just generate your high-poly
terrains in the third-party program of your choice, and then import to MED
and reduce its poly-count there? (using the Object/Change_Terrain_Vertices tool)

Or am I missing something important there? Im not practiced with pre-defined terrains.

Re: Low poly terrain modell with Z-Brush - 11/22/11 16:17

I tried it severel times. But the quality especially of curved surfaces get lost, when I reduce the polygons.
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: Low poly terrain modell with Z-Brush - 11/22/11 16:26

Same problem for me, it could be a solution to cut the map into pieces and load each one separately.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Low poly terrain modell with Z-Brush - 11/22/11 16:49

If you don't mind using a model based terrain, sculptris works nice then you can chose organically were to put the most polys
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Low poly terrain modell with Z-Brush - 11/22/11 18:10

Zbrush , if you consider the price : 600 Euros and not some illegal version , is a great deal : But not for terrain !
It's tool for mainly 3D characters , now hard surface geometry things.
So if you buy it just for terrain , it's a bad choice !
If you plan making lot of other stuff not only terrain, the go for it.

But yes Sculptris, is awesome like it has been said , i use it instead of Zbrush even if i have baught it in the past !
Sculptris is fast powerfull and allow i find lot more fine control for my taste laugh
And you have great tools like Reduce polygons brush if you need to optimize your work !
------------------------

.... When ... when ... will A8 make like other indie 3D engines : Unity, C4D, Esenthel, LeadWerks, Torque 3D , Ogre 3D and free terrain editors etc ... and have a complete terrain/vegetation editor in the world editor : It's standard feature ... really laugh !!!
Thats' really sad , really for people using A8 only.
I actually love A8 and it's scripts laugh , the more easy to use engine (workflow could be better) !
But i use some other enegine due to lacking terrain when i plan a project using terrain ! That's like that , no choice !
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Low poly terrain modell with Z-Brush - 11/22/11 18:44

A couple more suggestions on the MED post-processing...

Firstly, dont try to reduce to your target low-poly-count in a SINGLE step.
Reduce it in 'clean round' stages. Like 50% or 10% steps until you get close
to your target, then start using the odd percentages.

When all is done, if it still looks 'iffy', try using the MED tool "Object/Recalculate Normals".
But try it in the engine first... it may make things look worse...
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Low poly terrain modell with Z-Brush - 11/24/11 01:54

If you're using Z-Brush, Z-Brush's decimator plugin is fantastic.

Re: Low poly terrain modell with Z-Brush - 11/24/11 12:53

I just got the testversion. Normally I use Blender for modelling, so its not worth to buy Z Brush.

Sculptris seems to be good.

Thank you, I will give Sculptris a try. laugh
Posted By: Paul_L_Ming

Re: Low poly terrain modell with Z-Brush - 11/26/11 16:55

Hiya.

You can use ZBrush just fine. Create your 'simple' terrain using the Plane tool in ZB. Then save that as your base mesh. Then divide it a few times to get a few million poly's. Paint and sculpt (but not TOO drastic sculpting...your detail sculpting is going to be a displacement map). Once you have it the way you want, create a displacement map of it; it will be 'greyscale', and save out your texture map. Now, in Med, import a landscape texture, using your displacement map, at whatever triangle count you want, then apply your texture map as a base texture. Use a multishader for your ground details and wham bam thank you Ed McMahon...you have a texturized terrain.

...well, that's the theory anyway. I've never tried it yet...don't use A7/8 anymore...but it should work. laugh

^_^

Paul L. Ming
© 2024 lite-C Forums