Sleazy Torque owns devmaster

Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/09/09 17:47

Ever curious why Torque appears on the top of devmaster.com's list of top game engines? It's because they sleazily bought devmaster!!!

Unity is listed as the #6 most reviewed commercial engine on the Devmaster game engine database. I'd say that makes it quite popular because devmaster is a goto site for researching game engines.

devmaster.net

Registrant:
Domain Admin
GarageGames
245 W. 5th ave
Eugene OR 97401
US
+1.5413453040 Fax:

Domain Name: devmaster.net

Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com

Administrative Contact:
Domain Admin
GarageGames
245 W. 5th ave
Eugene OR 97401
US
+1.5413453040 Fax:
Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
Domain Admin
GarageGames
245 W. 5th ave
Eugene OR 97401
US
+1.5413453040 Fax:

Created on..............: 2003-03-06.
Expires on..............: 2012-03-06.
Record last updated on..: 2009-09-01.

Domain servers in listed order:

ns2.networkredux.net
ns1.networkredux.net
ns3.networkredux.net

Posted By: Spirit

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/09/09 17:54

Thats was never a secrect, they had a banner on their website telling that they are funded by Garagegames.
Posted By: PigHunter

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/09/09 17:59

Holy crap! You're right!

Click to reveal..

MarkMonitor is the Global Leader in Enterprise Brand Protection.
Domain Management
MarkMonitor Brand Protection™
AntiFraud Solutions
Corporate Consulting Services
Visit MarkMonitor at www.markmonitor.com
Contact us at 1 800 745 9229
In Europe, at +44 (0) 20 7840 1300
The Data in MarkMonitor.com's WHOIS database is provided by MarkMonitor.com
for information purposes, and to assist persons in obtaining information
about or related to a domain name registration record. MarkMonitor.com
does not guarantee its accuracy. By submitting a WHOIS query, you agree
that you will use this Data only for lawful purposes and that, under no
circumstances will you use this Data to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise
support the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or
solicitations via e-mail (spam); or (2) enable high volume, automated,
electronic processes that apply to MarkMonitor.com (or its systems).
MarkMonitor.com reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.
By submitting this query, you agree to abide by this policy.
Registrant:
Domain Admin
GarageGames
245 W. 5th ave
Eugene OR 97401
US
jeffc@garagegames.com +1.5413453040 Fax:
Domain Name: devmaster.net
Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.markmonitor.com
Administrative Contact:
Domain Admin
GarageGames
245 W. 5th ave
Eugene OR 97401
US
Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
Domain Admin
GarageGames
245 W. 5th ave
Eugene OR 97401
US
Created on..............: 2003-03-06.
Expires on..............: 2012-03-06.
Record last updated on..: 2009-09-01.
Domain servers in listed order:
ns1.networkredux.net
ns3.networkredux.net
ns2.networkredux.net

MarkMonitor is the Global Leader in Enterprise Brand Protection.
Domain Management
MarkMonitor Brand Protection™
AntiFraud Solutions
Corporate Consulting Services
Visit MarkMonitor at www.markmonitor.com
Contact us at 1 800 745 9229
In Europe, at +44 (0) 20 7840 1300
--

edit: @Spririt: They "had" a banner on their website telling that they are funded by Garagegames?
Posted By: Quad

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/09/09 18:12

it's still there.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/09/09 18:14

I think jetpack has been working with unity a little too long grin
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: Torque owns devmaster? - 10/09/09 18:16

"Sponsored by" suggests advertising, not ownership.

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/09/09 18:18

"Sponsored By"? That's not quite the same thing as saying, "Owned and Operated By".

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/09/09 19:30

"Sponsored by" is synonymous with "paid for by" so its the same thing, they just didnt claim actual ownership. And even if they own it, why is it bad that they put there engine first on the list if they paid for and runthe site?

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/09/09 20:15

Wow, that's nonsense.

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/09/09 23:12

why is that nonsense? If I paid for a site that advertises products like mine why wouldn't I put it at the top of the list?
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/09/09 23:22

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
why is that nonsense? If I paid for a site that advertises products like mine why wouldn't I put it at the top of the list?

well the site isnt just about advertisement, its ranking the engines based on several criterias, if its placing torque at the top because of ownership/sponsorship/whatever then it leads one to wonder...

BUT

if i sponsored a site they better well put me at the top grin so i cant say anything on this topic
Posted By: amy

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/10/09 00:17

It would be very interesting to see what happened if the Gamestudio community tried to enter 50 more reviews to claim the top spot. tongue

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/10/09 01:12

Posted By: ratchet

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/10/09 09:04

Long time i didn't gone on that site , and i think it's not as popular as it has been.

Yeah , indeed , with Torque on top position indeed.

TV3D is 3 position :
Is uesd it, it just have some fans, their showcase is empty like hell, Unity have lot lot lot more active people , and non comparable list of games made everyday :

I think it's a really false view of the reality laugh

Perhaps because anyone vote or go to that site or perhaps the admin make it's own rank laugh ?

Well just forget this site and it's non sense ranking on 3D engines.
ahahahaha , it's a big joke this site , nothing else !
Posted By: amy

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/10/09 09:13

TV3D is dead as far as I know. It doesn't get developed anymore.

I tried to write some reviews there but it didn't work. Nothing happened when I clicked submit. Strange.
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/10/09 12:19

Yeah, so that's why. I always wondered.

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/10/09 15:05

Originally Posted By: ratchet

Well just forget this site and it's non sense ranking on 3D engines.
ahahahaha , it's a big joke this site , nothing else !

well im not going to because if it weren't for that site, I'd have never found 3d studio. and who goes in there looking at the ranks anyways? I go in there and do an advanced search when I'm looking for an engine.
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/10/09 22:45

I don't, but that does not change the fact that this is in fact inappropriate/sleazy. If you do not think it is(not trying to pick on anyone here)you need to rethink the whole thing from a moral perspective.

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/11/09 01:09

so they are supposed to front/maintain/pay for/advertise a full on complex database for you to see/rate/put your engine on for free without even getting a little extra benefit from it?

to me that just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/11/09 03:17

@lostclimate: Why don't you quit while you're behind? You obviously are incapable of understanding the concept of an unbiased opinion. If a website is going to give an unbiased opinion of game engines, then it should not be owned by one of the companies that makes a game engine!!! Why oh why can't you understand this elementary concept!!! Are you on GarageGames' payroll?
Posted By: Quad

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/11/09 08:53

it should not be owned by an engine company fo sure...

but since devmaster is owned by gg, thats not we are talking about...

what we are talking about is, if you'd own such place wouldn't you yourself want to get a little benefit from it?

indeed it is very subjective when an engine company owns such a place...(maybe i should start an objective 3d engines database)

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/11/09 16:12

Originally Posted By: PigHunter
@lostclimate: Why don't you quit while you're behind? You obviously are incapable of understanding the concept of an unbiased opinion. If a website is going to give an unbiased opinion of game engines, then it should not be owned by one of the companies that makes a game engine!!! Why oh why can't you understand this elementary concept!!! Are you on GarageGames' payroll?

so because I see it different from you your going to resort to personal insults? Who said devmaster had to had unbias opinions? They aren't lying about other engines and saying theres is better, they just pay for something for you to use for free, and in return (what they get for shelling out THEIR HARD EARNED CASH FOR YOU) is to have thier engine come up first. I don't consider that too bad of a trade.
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/11/09 23:47

but they are, not telling the entire truth to unspecting shoppers(as dumb as they may be)is baiting them on, they can get benefits through advertising and not list their biased views about their product there...personnaly I would be ashamed of myself....and it is clear some frontal lobe development in your brain needs to occur....I'm getting too irritated with this subject, I can no longer post in this thread.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/12/09 22:38

As if devmaster is all and only about the ranking. It's a great resource to find the engine that fits best for your project. Or just for information about a lot of engines.

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/13/09 01:42

That's not the point Joozey. The point is that by doing this, GarageGames is not following ethical behavior and acting as a morally responsible company. If I were GarageGames, I would use a proactive strategy and distance myself from this potential negative publicity disaster immediately. They are not a large company right now, which is why nobody has gone after them about it. But, if they get big in the future, and that's a big if, and still own this website, it will most definitely result in a negative publicity disaster.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/13/09 12:50

You made that point for yourself, that's not my point. You put way too much weight on GarageGame's "unethical" behaviour. There are far worse unethical things happening around you that seem GarageGames' like fluffy bunnies on a grassy hill.
In layman terms, you're converting a mosquito into an elephant.

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/13/09 13:20

No, that is the point of this thread, and the reason why it was created. So since there are worse things going on in the world we should just forget this one, and the next, and the next? What kind of nonsense is that?

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/13/09 15:35

Im still not getting what is so wrong about giving something away for free and in trade being able to have your product first on the list?
Posted By: FBL

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/13/09 18:30

Hm I think discussions about game engines should not be done here in this forum.
The board is owned and sponsored by Conitec, so it's all biased.

Yes, for me that site is just a better sorted forum.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/13/09 18:38

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
what is so wrong about giving something away for free

What are they giving for free? laugh They _own_ the site, means, the mere purpose of the site is _advertising_ their engine while it establishes the impression to be an _independent_ source of information.
The problem is the claim of being unbiased and in fact being not at all.

There's no question that you can see such things all around in the world. Sure.

The difference is that Caitlyn was struck by that, because she thought first the site is actually unbiased, means she felt that she was cheated. And, you, now already informed of the facts behind everything, do not feel any harm.

And, for sure, somebody related to a competitor feels more being cheated, at least when he or she thinks that the own product is worth a lot more than the rating suggests...

Re: Sleazy Torque owns devmaster - 10/13/09 18:53

I guess I just never EXPECT something free without some kind of bias. If it's given to me with 0 bias then that's only gravy. I don't feel cheated by it, I feel it's fair. about the only thing I can see being said is that it says sponsored by which is semi-ambiguous, wherein Owned and Operated by would be more obvious but still it's not some huge moral dilemma that makes the site any less useful in my eyes.

@pighunter
I just realized you asked if I was on the GG payroll, go look at the torque vs 3dgs thread and see whether or not I'm a GG fanboy.
© 2024 lite-C Forums