DAZ studio

Posted By: not_me

DAZ studio - 11/25/07 23:25

daz studio is free. could i use it to model for 3dgs and then export into 3dgs or a format that 3dgs can import??
Posted By: broozar

Re: DAZ studio - 11/26/07 00:10

no. you can't model with it, neither can you skin, texture or animate your own models with it. it's an animation and rendering tool for poser and daz models/content which mustn't be used in games.
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: DAZ studio - 12/04/07 08:03

Yes, you can animate your own lower poly game models with it either manually or via BVH (which Studio imports) and you can export to OBJ or purchase their FBX exporter for use in 3DGS (although I don't know how reliable that plugin is). It's simply a matter of preparing a model (see below), and importing it.

You are also allowed to use any 2D output (renders used for sprites or whatever) in commercial applications.

If you want to model and skin/texture, you can use Carrara and MAYBE Hexagon 2. I'm guess Hex has an exporter given it's th same company, but I'm not sure. If you're clever you can rig your model to work fully with Studio's tools, and create many variants from some general purpose models via the "pulling" and "pushing" sliders just like when you are creating a custom character from Daz content.
Posted By: Dragon6261

Re: DAZ studio - 12/04/07 12:56

You actually can model (limited only ny yourself) with daz using the primitive and d-form tools included with it. Then export as an obj.
Posted By: Mondivirtuali

Re: DAZ studio - 12/04/07 17:48

I use Hexagon as modeller but I export the mesh as obj and separate texture (that I refine the texture later).
Hexagon is very easy to use and one can model something without any previous training ( obsviusvy professional modelling does required pratice, time and talent , even for a really intuitive software like Hexagon) .
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=jlYdTnws0yM

Re: DAZ studio - 12/04/07 20:21

@Brat, do you own carrara? i do. so i know what i am talking about. for those who don't know,

http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/carrara/-/comparison?

carrara can only IMPORT poser and DAZ studio files. there's no direct pipeline between carrara and DAZ studio. there's no need to, btw. if you own carrara, it can do all things better than DAZ studio, it even offers a built-in fbx exporter and x exporter.
and you can NOT rig your models with Studio. you have to use preproduced content that already carries bones. obj import in studio is practically unusable. try it.

@dragon, don't always repeat what's on the feature website. try it and you'd know that this dform thing is similar to a patch modifier, it is not really able to serve as a modelling tool, it's only good for raw deformations.

don't talk about things you obviously never used.

Re: DAZ studio - 12/05/07 11:46

Quote:

@Brat, do you own carrara? i do. so i know what i am talking about. for those who don't know,

http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/software/carrara/-/comparison?

@dragon, don't always repeat what's on the feature website. try it and you'd know that this dform thing is similar to a patch modifier, it is not really able to serve as a modelling tool, it's only good for raw deformations.

don't talk about things you obviously never used.

Got quite the mouth on ya. I have been using daz for quite a few years and have made models with the deform tool, i guess it's just a matter of if you actually know how to model. I also own carrera, and hex. Just because you don't know how to use the tools doesn't mean it can't be done.

Re: DAZ studio - 12/05/07 16:22

depends on what you call modelling, judging your website. if you knew carrara you'd know that it does not offer a native daz studio export. btw, it's pretty useless to recommend a $549 application just as a bridge for a free one, even if it were possible.
and i doubt you ever got an animated model from daz studio to MED in a reasonable way, including skins, anims etc. and a legal way, as it is stricly forbidden to use any of the (free) DAZ content in your games.

not_me, i warned you. you will be disappointed. believe what you want to.

Re: DAZ studio - 12/05/07 17:55

never said you were allowed to use the figure models in your games. wouldn't want to anyways as they are to high poly for 3dgs to use, what i did say is that you can model with daz(and i don't know what that hs to do with my website you arrogant little twerp). Oh and by the way people that use dxstudio use poser and daz content all the time. and native daz is obj. which my carrera does export, and if you paid 549.00 for carrera (i paid less than 50.00, and yes it is a legal copy bought from daz)than i feel sorry for you.

Re: DAZ studio - 12/05/07 18:09

watch you language. i'm not interested in the way dxstudio user handle it.
if you paid less than 50 for your "carrera", i guess you have the express edition wich can't even do bone animation nor export to any useful format. congrats.

Re: DAZ studio - 12/05/07 18:19

language? I went through my post and didn't see any swearing, so either you read it wrong or your just a precious little princess, and thanks for the congrats, i think it was an exceptional buy for what i use it for which is art or at least what i consider art. everyone has thier own taste, oh and if you don't want my "language" don't in any way shape or form insult my website again or tell me that i'm some drone reading off the features page of some software website.

Re: DAZ studio - 12/05/07 18:27

i did not insult your website. i searched your website for models you did, using daz studio and the deform tool you were so pro in, and found mainly, if not only, poser/daz models pasted into various backgrounds. that was what "depends on what you call modelling" was aimed at, as well as the website thing. i did notjudge the page, but its content.

oh, and i have no need to call you "arrogant" or "twerp" or "precious little princess".
Posted By: Blink

Re: DAZ studio - 12/05/07 20:34

Gentlemen, please be appropriate. Everyone here has a right to an opinion, but insults and arguements are extremely off topic. Lets end it now. The forum members not involved in your disagreement do not need to be exposed this type of behavior. This is a fair warning and not a threat, so please get back to the topic. Thank you for your cooperation.
Posted By: Paul_L_Ming

Re: DAZ studio - 12/06/07 21:03

Hiya.

To the original poster...

No, I don't think you can actually create models in DAZ Studio. I think you have to import a model made in some other package first, then you can tweak it with their tools (which, from my quick glance at their Features page, looks pretty limited). I also don't suggest you try and use any of their 'content'. IMHO, almost every single DAZ/Poser "content pack" I've seen looks...well, it basically screams "I was created with Poser! Buy me!". I would say that 99 times out of 100, anyone who is an actual 3d artist can play 'spot the poser pic' successfully.

I would suggest looking into a 'real' 3d package. There are a lot of decently priced ones with good features out there now. Just hit altavista.com and search for "3d modeling animating programs" and you'll find a bazillion. Start with Hexagon ($150; no animation though), Wings3D (Free; no animation), Softimage|XSI ($500; frickin awesome) , Lightwave ($900 - $1000; very good overall) and Blender (Free; steep learning curve though). All are sub-$1000 packages.

Most 3d packages out there at least have a "trial" or "demo" version; download several and give them each a try for a few days. See which one you like and feel most comfortable with. Then go with that one.
© 2024 lite-C Forums