Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks?

Posted By: Mondivirtuali

Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/10/07 14:33

http://www.caligari.com/ truespace 7.5 , it does export in x. also ; could be fully compatible with 3dgs?
It may be rated over XSI fondation?
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/10/07 15:00

I have to much problems with truespace 7.5 for use with 3dgamestudio the x exporter not work very well (but that from ever)

and with the gamepak the think not goes better (the med support is very bad)

I waiting and hope the next version 7.6 have perfect .fbx support by the moment not have .fbx support and the collada to .fbx conversion not work

If you wait time to time they have very greats offer and can buy the software for less money (200 less)

Re: Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/10/07 15:32

What happened if you try to export an animated x file? Have you try to usa milkshape or Fragmotin to convert him before?
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/10/07 16:15

I have the gamepak addon and have milkshape export

the problems are animations lost (in any format I try, directx export, trought milkshape)

you can export static model with one texture (but need to use only .bmp, when try to import a model with texture in .tga or .dds the effects in med and wed are psicodelic textures "unkomon iverted colors")

the .obj in truespace is very bad and the import of .obj in med are good
truespace 7.5 have greats things(physics, animation...)
but the exported formats need improvements (support g6 .mdl but very bad if better to expor to milkshape and later to .mdl) (if you like to use for static model's are ok but by the moment for animations "if export in directx a model with two or more objects with two or more textures you have the uv bad)

I hope the new truespace 7.6 have .fbx

I export every model with diferent textures by parts and import in med with the apped option is the only form I can use
Posted By: Toast

Re: Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/10/07 16:20

Is it finally worth using at all? I own version 2 and 4 and both were just bad when it comes to stability as both tended to crash often. From V6 owners I heard not much good either (and I also found V6 not so spectacular featurwise)...

V7 now looks more interesting though I'd rather go for XSI Foundation or Lightwave (which is more expensive but not THAT much and is just top notch). Are there any user reviews yet concerning the stability?

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: Paul_L_Ming

Re: Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/10/07 16:28

Hiya.

As to a direct answer to your subject title:
"Truespace: it worth for over 500 bucks".

The short answer is:
"Nope".

I started with tS (version 2, back on Windows for Workgroups 3.11/DOS!). Was with them up to and including version 4. But, they were going absolutely NOWHERE with animation, so I jumped ship. With tS 7.5, it's a LOT better, but still pretty damn slow to use in terms of animating...and the fact it doesn't work on Windows XP 64-Bit.

I would LOVE to give more money to Roman and his Caligari crew, but there is just no way in hell tS's price can be justified when there are packages out there like Lightwave, or Softimage XSI Foundation that can out model, out animate, out render and all around out perform tS.

Re: Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/10/07 16:46

Okay , your reply was very effective.

Re: Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/12/07 00:00

I just erased the truespace demo and try to obtain something from xsi mod tool; I'd buy an animating package ONLY if is good with 3dgs.
Posted By: broozar

Re: Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/12/07 00:16

why not go with c4d ($899, fbx export) or carrara pro ($569, fbx and *.x export)?
or blender
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/12/07 00:39

Broozar is right.

At least you should have a look at ventilators detailed animation tutorials for blender. Exporting to 3DGS included!

http://www.coniserver.net/wiki/index.php/Blender

http://machinimist.googlepages.com/
Posted By: Paul_L_Ming

Re: Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/12/07 05:08

Hiya.

XSI (at least verion 4, the one I use) can export .x (textures, objects and animation) with a plug-in. However, when you import the .x into MED (A6), the FIRST and LAST frames need to be manually deleted by you. I'm not sure exactly why, but if I make an animation in XSI 4, say from 0 to 60. After exporting and then importing to MED, I have frame 0 to 61. Frame 0 seems to 'reset' the model to 0,0,0 world co-ordinates; at frame 1 it jumps to where it's supposed to be. Not sure why, but oh well. You can happily delete frame 0 and the last one to get the animation range you need/want. For some animations, this may require you to add an extra 'dummy frame' at the end of your animation sequence when in XSI.

Hope that made sense! Bottom line: delete frame 0 and last frame after importing .x, and you're good to go! Oh, and you will probably need to scale the .mdl. I'm still trying to figure out what scale factor I want to use, but if you use the "1 unit" mesurements in XSI, you will want to multiply by 12.8 in MED to get a 'normal sized' model (so a XSI human model that is 6 units tall would become 76.8 'units' tall in MDL format).

Re: Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/12/07 08:06

Ha thanks! i'll try a simple rigging animation , when I have time for this. ( I got Mod Tool , for now..)

Re: Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/12/07 12:18

Quote:

Broozar is right.

At least you should have a look at ventilators detailed animation tutorials for blender. Exporting to 3DGS included!

http://www.coniserver.net/wiki/index.php/Blender

http://machinimist.googlepages.com/

Oh I did not see this !
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: Truespace : it worth for over 500 bucks? - 11/16/07 02:27

I own most of the packages out there, and blender is by far the best for the work we do..I'm also taking price into account. it can do more than trueSpace and it is free.(I do love tS though).
© 2024 lite-C Forums