Sauerbraten / Cube II

Posted By: broozar

Sauerbraten / Cube II - 11/25/06 17:51

http://sauerbraten.org/

anyone tried this? screens look superb, and look at the fps counter... WOOOOOOW! plus, editing seems to be simple through in-game editing.
thoug i played "cube" some years ago and the predecessor didn't look so pretty, but this seems promising. any comments?

here's the engine website URL: http://www.cubeengine.com/

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 11/26/06 10:15

seriously, try it. this engine redefines your view on speed in shadered games!

sure, it lacks a lot of features, like real terrain support, or a model editor, but the level editor is a pleasure. build your first "mod" in minutes and play it online with friends! don't like the map as is? change it in realtime, hit "calculate lighting" and that's it!
how easy game development could be...
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 11/26/06 10:46

Thanks for the info. That sounds great. You could prepare a level with our sci-fi textures. I would like to see how they look in that engine

Frank

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 11/26/06 11:22

yes, i will try, thogh it may take some time, i did not yet dig into the creation of non-predefined stuff.

[edit]
@frank; you got mail!
@all; be prepared, i'm workin on a level...

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 11/30/06 19:50

this is the latest ingame-shot from a level i created with textures from DEXSOFT. hope you like it.

Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 11/30/06 19:56

WOW! nice effects man!
I've looked at sauerbraten some time back, didn't switch to it yet cause I couldn't find any good intros into the programming... I love the reflection on the metal (or water??) on the floor...!
I'd work on the rock texture... looks to me like there's seams there...
it's great!
so the the fps is good in that engine??

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 11/30/06 20:09

it's water.

fps is 200+ (or 80 in full screen mode) @ 1024x768x32+4xAA on my GF 6800/AthXP2600+, fps is perfect, really, bloom and other fullscreen shaders seem to have no impact on the framerate at all.
though the engine is really unflexible when it comes to programming issues, it supports only a quakescript-like language, but it's fun to play with.

the issue with the wall texture is true. it has some minor seams, but the greater problem is the octree-blockonly structure of sauer. the hieghtmap feature is rudimentary and you don't believe how many edges and corners i had to pull to make iot that "smooth" at it is now.
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 11/30/06 21:32

I'm sticking to 3dgs ... nothing against sauerbraten... I've tried it and it is pretty fun to play with, you're right. ... I just like to have more control over wat I can do and have more options than sauerbraten can give... it's nothing for me, being a programmer...:)

Micha
Posted By: vartan_s

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 08:55

Wow, this looks real nice. I had a look at the ActionCube mod for it, and it's not bad, despite some lacks in gameplay.

Now we can just imagine...

The ease-of-use and programming ease of 3dgs, combined with the GFX and speed of the Cube engine with octree.

Maybe A7 will be like that?
Posted By: ello

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 09:14

wtf, i played sauerbraten, but i didnt find any of those good looking screens. nor those shader effects. do i need to tweak any settings? i guess my 6800 should do it
Posted By: maybenew

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 10:15

Quote:

anyone tried this? screens look superb, and look at the fps counter... WOOOOOOW! plus, editing seems to be simple through in-game editing.
thoug i played "cube" some years ago and the predecessor didn't look so pretty, but this seems promising.

i played it and i have to say i am not impressed!

the good fps has a reason: look at the outdated graphics...
the level design is not detailed at all, more like the old UT than like any recent shooter game...

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 10:29

Quote:

the level design is not detailed at all, more like the old UT than like any recent shooter game...

Yes, that is true. The textures in their demos are very low resolution. But nevertheless you will not achieve the same in A6 no matter how small the textures are. You will get FPS values below 10 when you use the auto-material function to add shaders to level geometry. Then add a water shader and bloom and see how good you can play it with 1-2 fps

When this is old-school like old UT. What is A6 then?

But hopefully these problems will be solved with the next update. That is our all reason to stay here.
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 12:43

"But hopefully these problems will be solved with the next update"

Not to tease you Feank_G not at all
but what problems do you mean ?
speed will not increase dramatically,levels based on models ? when ?
- terrain editor as easy as use as BV engine (all visually by interface) :
never.
- real light management for shaders ,shadows and lightmapping for levels made
of models : all mixed ? hummm ......

hhéééééhhé

for the engineCube 2 : optimisation is really good ,and core display
is not old or pollued by bad things so it can run smoothly
people using FPS creator should take a look at it
Posted By: fogman

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 13:33

I know, it´s offtopic...

Quote:

speed will not increase dramatically,levels based on models ? when ?

When it´s done. Currently the speed improves very well in the beta versions.

Quote:

terrain editor as easy as use as BV engine (all visually by interface) :
never.

You can see it in GameEdit...

Quote:

real light management for shaders ,shadows and lightmapping for levels made
of models : all mixed ? hummm ......

The new lightmanagement is nearly finished.

Quote:

hhéééééhhé

Dito

What I want to say with this?

1. You have absolutely no glue what´s going on in the newest Beta.
2. You´ve said yourself, that it´s better for you to shut up.
3. You can´t tell me that you´ve much experience with Gamestudio.
4. Otherwise you would know what you can achieve with some code that deals with lightning.

Enough said. For "Sauerbraten": I have not enough time to look at it, but at least the name sounds cool.

Btw: How bad that your stars can´t have a negative value, like -3...

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 13:48

1. true, the image does not offer too much detail. i used only the octree blocks of the engine and some lights. but even at this state, try to achieve the same in a6 in say, 4 or 5 hours, including learning the tool.
2. adding detail is no problem, as i can include static meshes which will have the same behaviour to light as the blocks, plus will have full collision detection, you will not be able to differ em from the normal geometry.

@ello: this was built with the latest exe, so maybe try it. shaders are on on default.
@vartan_s: actioncube is based on the prior engine, cubeI, so of course it looks and feels worse.
@Frank_G and maybenew: the texture resolution is defined in the engine, it does not szupport texture rotation, scaling, flipping nor other functions, you have to do it before you insert it or do it per script. a texture definition would look like this, including shader and specularity:

setshader bumpspecmapworld

setpixelparam 1 3 3 3

texture 0 dexsoft/floor4_d.jpg
texture n dexsoft/floor4_local.jpg
texture s dexsoft/floor4_s.jpg

if you wanted to rotate it, add a "1" behind the textures. this all may seem restrictive, but it's packed with advantages, e.g. speed, and the textures always fit. the tiles on the ceiling have only a resolution of 128², a wall is 256². do you see it? no, not really.

@expert: "people using FPS creator should take a look at it" true, for something different the engine is too unflexible.

i am not here to defend it, as it is not really a versatile game creation kit like a6, but i think it does very well _what_ it does, and i will use it instead of a6 for my shooter project(s) [if i ever come across one].

PS: to frank's advice, i reworked the lighting a lil.

see the lightmaps? rendered in 5 seconds.

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 14:55

i use it from perhaps 3,4 years and like some old boys here :
we've waited 2 or 3 years without any updates ...
you do'nt have experienced what some of us have ....

"You can´t tell me that you´ve much experience with Gamestudio"
calm down , take a breath , go to street and look at some gorgeous girls
it will make you less serious about game making

i speak in terms of game making not coding :
it means script only effects and some LOD , and game logic ,nothing else.
any coding on tools , shaders etc .. all that should be existing

i use others 3D engines and my main thing is 3D art making , so we can't really speak about experience, i talk in tersm of
EXPERIENCE OF USING 3DGS and WORKFLOW no
on coding missing things (compare to Torque Tools or LawMaker or BV engine to
see what lacks in 3DGS)

like i said , take a breath, don't take all that too seriously , if we
was in forums of Lawmaker Pro (hight price) and both of us in real serious teams , than ok .. serious... but not the case ... its 3DGS ... héhéhé

Well don't worry , we don't need another flame war , i was just questionning
Frank_G not you , caus i know like me he knows 3DGS limits in workflow and tools
domain , he is very informed on things going on some engines

And he's the guy with open mind not fixed on a engine , that's why i really appreciate him. i hope an answer from him caus he knows what he says if he talks about some improvements on 3DGS
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 16:19

I think it would give way better results in 3dgs when you'd use a model only level, compared to Sphere + 3dgs, I'd say these sauerbraten screenshots aren't that impressive at all.
Frank_G yes, shaders on block geometry is a fps killer, but that doesn't prevent us from taking the 'model only approach', right? We don't need Sphere to get shaders on wall models and the like either. I think that fps will be a tad lower indeed in 3dgs,

Cheers

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 16:22

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, that is true. The textures in their demos are very low resolution. But nevertheless you will not achieve the same in A6 no matter how small the textures are. You will get FPS values below 10 when you use the auto-material function to add shaders to level geometry. Then add a water shader and bloom and see how good you can play it with 1-2 fps

When this is old-school like old UT. What is A6 then?

But hopefully these problems will be solved with the next update. That is our all reason to stay here.

oh, dont get me wrong, it was not my intention to discredit the cubeII engine in favor of A6, i think A6 is pretty cra*** (especially since the 6.50.2 update is out), but cubeII also does not seem to be a real alternative compared to other up to date engines (torque,vision,lawmaker). if cubeII can do more than shown in sauerbraten, the developers are pretty stupid to release engine demos which dont show the full potential of the engine...

Quote:

I think it would give way better results in 3dgs when you'd use a model only level, compared to Sphere + 3dgs, I'd say these sauerbraten screenshots aren't that impressive at all.
Frank_G yes, shaders on block geometry is a fps killer, but that doesn't prevent us from taking the 'model only approach', right? We don't need Sphere to get shaders on wall models and the like either. I think that fps will be a tad lower indeed in 3dgs,

Cheers

I am with you on that, bsp levels are not usable with A6
Posted By: fogman

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 17:53

Quote:

i use it from perhaps 3,4 years and like some old boys here :
we've waited 2 or 3 years without any updates ...
you do'nt have experienced what some of us have ....

"You can´t tell me that you´ve much experience with Gamestudio"
calm down , take a breath , go to street and look at some gorgeous girls
it will make you less serious about game making

like i said , take a breath, don't take all that too seriously , if we
was in forums of Lawmaker Pro (hight price) and both of us in real serious teams , than ok .. serious... but not the case ... its 3DGS ... héhéhé

You don´t know what I´m doing, or will do seriously apart from these forums (with 3dgs).
I use 3dgs since two years, and I don´t have the time to switch between engines. Because that I can say, that I´ve some experience with 3dgs.

For pure artists the engine can be horrible. But as a beta tester I can say, that it will be much better, when static meshes are included.
Oh, and I have already a very nice girl and I can look at her whenever I want.

But I don´t take you too seriously, really. You don´t have to care about that.

Edit: This was my last post in this thread, because all I´ve to say about "Sauerkraut" is: "Lecker!"

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 18:05

In fact someone (or me if i had time) could create a standard 3D scens with normal maps textures and a god amount of polygons
and we should test it as it under each 3D engine in a simple
3D app that would be a simple scene with a camera and some key for camera

it would not be a real test (animated bodies and particles) bu a good one for beginning

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 18:06

Quote:

" the developers are pretty stupid to release engine demos which dont show the full potential of the engine..."

oh, right, the a6 techdemo is on one level with UT 2007. blind?

i don't know if it's my glasses, or the fact that i have seen it in motion and worked with it, but the graphics output of this engine is -at least for me- not comparable with anything -and i include shpere engine here too- that has been made concerning fps games with a6. i only refer to the graphics output of an fps level, cubeII is weak in programming and outdoor areas.

Quote:

I'd say these sauerbraten screenshots aren't that impressive at all.

well. maybe you lost the realtion here. let's compare doom3-commercial, cubeII-barebone, and a6 with the premier graphics plugin.

for the doom3 shots, look at the ground texture and tellme what you think about resolution and effects. look at the left wall and tell me how outdated it is. sure, for someone who's referring to UT 2007 engine, this is all stuff from the last decade.

for all fanboys, i am NOT saying cubeII is BETTER than a6. understood? fine.

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 18:24

TheExpert:
Thanks for the nice compliments

Dabro0zar:
Your new image looks much better with this lighting. It has more depths and shadows. I like it.

Maybenew and Phemox:
I know that you are right. Model levels are the key for shader levels. But I see a lot of problems with this approach as well:

1) No scene management. Big levels are not possible except you program your own (slow) scene management

2) No shadows. You cannot use current shadow system for model based levels (at least not for indoors and even for outdoors you will experience problems). Shadows are only casted from the sun and you cannot enter shadow volume. So it will all look flat and false. Static shadows do not work on models and are not casted at terrain (currently).

3) Collision detection. I know several users complaining about collision in model based levels. Maybe there are work-arounds? Don't know.

My dream would be to create the complete level in Lightwave with lights, cameras and all materials. Then I export it via FBX into WED and Gamesutio creates some kind of visibility and shadow maps.
Vision3d works this way. Gamebryo works this way.

Another possible dream would be an in-game editor that deals with static and dynamic meshes and maybe blocks for portals and level optimizations. This editor could show particles, shaders, materials and whatever I need to create my level and to get what I see.

Unity-Engine calls it "you publish what you see" or "plug and publish"

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/01/06 19:41

Visually it can be very nice, you've proven that. However, the biggest difference is level design here, not visually. It's kinda unfair to compare anything to Doom3, but I do get your point. The Sauerbraten engine screenshot looks great, but I honestly think that using the exact same design, similar textures and perhaps even a similar shader for the water it would be quite possible to get visually the same results. Yes, 3d gamestudio isn't really fast, so it'll mean less fps for sure, but I wouldn't jump in to quickly just because of that.

Frank has a very good point, it would be nice to be building model levels all the way and export/import. At the moment it has it's disadvantages indeed. I haven't experience collisionproblems yet, but you can't really program in the exact same way you would for block based levels. People using the templates on a modelbased level probably will have problems, or may have some problems.

About point 2.) by the way, I really hope Conitec fixes this, because unless we use a shader based shadow something like Sphere, it's a real killer. Shadows really bring games to life, perhaps one of the most important things visually are shadows. (Take a look at Max Payne 1 and it's radiosity lighting and shadows (no high end shaders), man I would give anything for shadows like that with almost zero fps loss in 3dgs.)

Cheers

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/02/06 11:17

dragobazar, again i did not compare cube2 to A6, i simply made a statement on cube2.

Quote:

1) No scene management. Big levels are not possible except you program your own (slow) scene management

2) No shadows. You cannot use current shadow system for model based levels (at least not for indoors and even for outdoors you will experience problems). Shadows are only casted from the sun and you cannot enter shadow volume. So it will all look flat and false. Static shadows do not work on models and are not casted at terrain (currently).

3) Collision detection. I know several users complaining about collision in model based levels. Maybe there are work-arounds? Don't know.

you can work around each issue, but basically you are right, the only way to achieve good results with A6 is not by using its own features... you have to find tricks and workarounds to achieve effects other engines have implemented in its core. the only thing keeping me here are 5 years of experience with A6

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 12/04/06 09:13

"Shadows really bring games to life"

Indeed, shadows and lightmapping add a lot : )

one way of having very cheap shadows is to use texture projection ,
used a lot for trees shadows.
Doom3 uses texture projection also for simulating different and colored lights, in addition of a point light for basic normal and specular light.
Nice trick.
combination of lightmapping and real shadows is the way to go

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 05/28/07 19:35

proper games are using cube2 as a base for commercial products, it seems they have rewritten quite a part of the engine,

http://www.proper-games.com/technology.html

if you can't wait, here are the screens:

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 05/28/07 21:20

Very interesting.

Quote:

...as well as per pixel lighting, normal maps, offset bump mapping, directional light maps and real-time lighting...

Do you know what that means? Shaders + static lighting + dynamic lighting (per pixel) at the same time. You can create beautiful stuff with such a tool-set.

Unreal3 also uses directional light maps. The Lawmaker-engine will use it very soon. I don't know what method Torque uses, but they also claim that you can use static lightmaps with shaders (just like Irrlicht).

Did you realize that almost all engines can do that and that per-pixel-lighting is standard today?

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 01/07/08 23:43

news from the cube2-2007-12-22 "assassin" release! TRY IT it is so overwhelming. the map "thor" beats even the UT series.

new, exciting features:

parallax mapping, all shaders seem to be improved a lot!

on this pic, you can't see the gorgeous underwater effects... aww superb.

free floating 3d menus!

finally, md3 support! extended editing menus! seems to be improved in all aspects. and it's so fast, you won't believe your eyes. a killer, really.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 01/08/08 08:49

Nice screens - worth to give it a (new) try.
Thanx for this info!
Posted By: ello

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 01/08/08 10:17

thanks for the info! definately download it when i am home..
Posted By: Toast

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 01/08/08 12:06

Downloading now...
A nice toolset plus an easy scripting language would make this overkill imo...

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: sueds

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 01/08/08 21:37

what language does it use ?

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 01/08/08 22:21

cubescript, which as similar to quakescript. to find out more, read http://cube.wikispaces.com/Scripting+Guide or the documaentation that comes with the pack.

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 01/09/08 04:46

Quote:

the map "thor" beats even the UT series.

You're a funny guy... I can't deny it looks good, but it doesn't beat UT3, ... and I don't quite think it's on par either .

By the way, I can't find anything on Assassin, do you have a link? It sounds pretty interesting,

Cheers
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 01/09/08 05:41

"You're a funny guy... I can't deny it looks good, but it doesn't beat UT3, ... and I don't quite think it's on par either"

Well , who cares ? It looks AWESOME , and last time I heard , Unreal Tournament 3 had HORRIBLE sales even with it's beautiful graphics , so I would say a game's performance is actually more important than the graphics quality. Same goes for Crysis , it's the most beautiful and technically advanced game out there right now , and also , very low sales. I think it's timme we stop comparing engines to those engines , as it's clear you dont need them to make a good game or money (anyone played serious sam ?). This cube 2 engine looks incredible , and it's free Insane , just downloaded it , goinng to give it a try.

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 01/09/08 11:10

Quote:

Quote:

the map "thor" beats even the UT series.

You're a funny guy... I can't deny it looks good, but it doesn't beat UT3, ... and I don't quite think it's on par either

yeah might have been a bit exaggerated... and i haven't played ut3, to be honest, so treat it as a small promotial lie/teaser

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 01/10/08 00:58

Well I'm thoroughly impressed , I tried out the demo yesterday , and averaged around 15-20 fps on the shader heavy level , and around 20 - 30 in the level where all the enemies attack you. I have a pretty old and low end video card (GeforceFX5200) , So I'm actually very happy with its performance (keep in mind Sphere 2 runs at 2 fps on my pc). I'm definately going to look more into this engine when I have more time.

edit: It's actually 25-30 fps on the single player levels , most of the time staying locked at 30.

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 01/10/08 03:15

@Why_Do_I_Die: That ís impressive, but forgive my curiosity I do wonder what it looked like visually on that hardware.

Sales-wise I've heard Unreal Tournament III is doing reasonably okey now after having a (terribly) rough start. I think people shouldn't be surprised about that though. Crysis had exactly the same rough start, in fact it's still not selling well.

It has everything to do with required system specs if you ask me, not so much the quality of the games.

Quote:

yeah might have been a bit exaggerated... and i haven't played ut3, to be honest, so treat it as a small promotial lie/teaser

No worries, we can all see that this Sauerbraten II engine looks great and it's true that at least some levels shown on screenshots are extremely well designed and good looking.

Cheers

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 01/10/08 05:15

The quality is great , looks just like the screenshots , here are some screenshots of the Demo running on my pc , FPS is on the bottom right in the pics.Btw , this is the performance I'm getting withought tweaking any settings , just installed and ran , at 1024x768 resolution (it's what I use for all games I play). Tomorrow I'll try messing around with the settings see if I can get a performance boost while still maintaining good visual quality. I also wonder how this game would render with art from something like Unreal Tournament 3 , since another reason those engines look so good is the artists they use are as professional as they come , and the art is always INSANELY good.

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 02/03/08 10:52

cube on PDA! yay!

http://wouter.fov120.com/cube/cube_intel_pda/

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 02/04/08 14:39

Nice... yeah, there's a few platforms I'd love to see 3DGS on someday, PDAs included. *dreams on*
Posted By: Loopix

Re: Sauerbraten / Cube II - 02/04/08 14:53

Hey...it's somehow cool to see a cobblestone floor-texture of my village in their demo (its a texture from my free texture-pack)...strange, my neighbors don't look the same as those guys on the screenshot

© 2024 lite-C Forums