Creating a train simulation game

Posted By: samtheman88

Creating a train simulation game - 09/15/12 12:47

Hello gamestudio enthusiasts. I am embarking on a journey to create a train simulation game on Gamestudio (using the free A8 engine). Has anyone tried anything similar before and faced challenges which you can share (Or perhaps some techniques which were helpful in your development).

I am looking to create a simulator akin to Railworks 3. The main feature I am looking into is to have free form track building (not grid / tile based where the tracks are either straight or 90 degree turns.

Thanks in advance! By the way does anyone also have tips as to how to effectively use the search topic function? I always use it and somehow happily get 200 results where most of it apparently is not related to my search keyword.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Creating a train simulation game - 09/15/12 14:44

A train simulator has already been done with GStudio, I think it was nfs with the A6 engine. I suggest you simply start with your project and ask again if you face any challenges.

When you want to search for two or more keywords, simply add a "+" in front of every word, otherwise the forum will give you posts that only contain at least one of the keywords (f.i. +train +simulation). You can use quotation marks to search for a whole term, f.i. "train simulation" will only find posts/ threads that contain this quote, not threads with train and simulation in different contexts
Posted By: Bone

Re: Creating a train simulation game - 09/15/12 14:48

Hey,

Im working on a function library for create a model along a spline (you can create rails or stations etc) which
I want to share for free. The Problem is, its not complete yet. There
are some problems I have to fix before I release the script.
Here are some Screenshots

I create this script for my simulation project. The goal
is to make a game like Simutrans but in 3D and with free form
rails and streets. Its not Railworks but maybe you are interested to help me and I look what I can do for you wink

ps: you have a pm wink

Re: Creating a train simulation game - 09/16/12 04:27

Superku: Thanks for the tips, ok if I do have any queries I will be sure to post it here.

Bone: acknowledged.
Posted By: sivan

Re: Creating a train simulation game - 09/16/12 16:30

as I remember in AUM100 there was a spline road maker tool

Re: Creating a train simulation game - 09/18/12 09:20

thanks Sivan I will check it out, man AUM100 is huge!
Posted By: Bone

Re: Creating a train simulation game - 09/19/12 07:52

The "road tool" is created by me. The "road tool" is the previous version and is buggy. Furthermore the created model is flat.
The new version creates a model based on
a form made in MED wink
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Creating a train simulation game - 09/23/12 15:29

Bone, that's some cool stuff you have there, well done! Looking forward to seeing more!

@ samtheman, I've created a (2d, grid-based) train-simulator, and the hardest part was, I think, to make the junctions work and look good. Somehow, pieces of rail need to be "blocked" when trains are moving on them, and that can be very tiresome to get it to work right. Take great care when planning how to code junctions, especially if there's free-form building involved. Trains need to "see" that the junction before them is blocked by another train.

An idea would be to simply "block" all path-nodes infront of a train, so that other trains see that a train's approaching the path node without having to constantly keep track of all trains.
Posted By: sivan

Re: Creating a train simulation game - 09/23/12 20:12

train simulation includes train accident simulation grin
© 2024 lite-C Forums