The Perfect Adventure Game

Posted By: Orange Brat

The Perfect Adventure Game - 10/14/04 12:59

The Perfect Adventure Game

Quote:

Law 1: The Story is everything.

Law 2: Playability must be addictive.

Law 3: Navigation must be "Intuitive-able".

Law 4: Puzzles must be solvable by real people in real life.

Law 5: Window dressing must enhance, but never dominate.

Adventure Architect - 10/16/04 14:46

Adventure Architect Series

Quote:

It’s probably the industry's best kept secret that many of the most entertaining new adventure games these days are being designed not by the major studios, but by amateurs—fans of the genre working alone or in small teams to do something that we’ve all wanted to do at one time or another: create our own adventure game. Beginning this month, I’ll be taking my first steps down that road as well. I’ll report on everything I learn along the way, from choosing a game engine and deciding on a story idea to writing the plot and, eventually, even beta testing and completion.

Posted By: pocorev

Re: Adventure Architect - 10/16/04 21:12

terrific articles... enjoyed the architect series particularly.

thanks O-B
Posted By: Error014

Re: Adventure Architect - 10/16/04 23:50

Great Articles. Thanks for the link
Posted By: Drittz_Dourden

Re: Adventure Architect - 10/17/04 02:21

Very nice artical's. Though i dont plan to create or play a Adventure game anytime soon.. the laws can be used in other games as well
Posted By: Red Ocktober

Re: Adventure Architect - 10/17/04 02:46

yep... i agree wholeheartedly with SB's comment...

good link OB, thanks

--Mike

The Economics of a 2D Adventure in Today's Market - 10/21/04 14:00

The Economics of a 2D Adventure in Today's Market

Quote:

...this article contains gory and gruesome details about the games business and, in particular, marketing and distribution. If you'd rather remain blissfully oblivious to the horrors of what goes on behind the scenes, this is the place to stop reading. If you're one of those people that can't help but stare at a car accident, read on.

The Inventory

Quote:

A Magazine for Adventure Games Only

The Art of Puzzle Design - 10/26/04 00:20

The Art of Puzzle Design

Quote:

Creating puzzles is an art, like creating songs, movies or poetry. Here are my thoughts on the art of puzzle design. You'll also find links to puzzle sites and a bibliography of articles about puzzle design.

The 10 Scariest [Adventure] Games of All Time

Quote:

How scary is The Dark Eye? (Major spoiler ahead!) It has the power to so involve that you forget you are playing a game. One of the multiple story lines concerns a woman who has a sleeping sickness and, mistakenly diagnosed as dead, is buried alive. As you are occupying the character's body, you are not aware of your desperate situation. All we as the player see is a pitch-black monitor screen, and all we as the player hear is our fingernails scratching the inside of the coffin. It was right at this point of realizing that I was buried alive that my son entered the dark computer room and, since I was wearing headphones, tapped me on the shoulder. There is still to this day an indentation in the ceiling from my head.

Posted By: zohar

Re: The Art of Puzzle Design - 10/29/04 02:53

maybe you alreay know it , but its good to mentioned it :

http://www.the-underdogs.org/

this site contains tons of abandonware/freeware games and reviews from all times.
it all categorized nicely .
by downloading theses old game which many of them were geniusly crafted : great puzzles , super plots , inresting and unique ideas .

you can learn a lot , and take tons of great ideas for games or for puzzles .

Adventure Developers - 10/31/04 00:44

Adventure Developers

Quote:

Some people still say the adventure genre is dead. Some say it's sleeping. Some say it's reviving and others say the genre has never really been away. Whatever you may say, one thing's assured: there's still a lot of interest in the adventure genre.

Most publishers, however, seem to ignore this. They don't believe the traditional adventure game could make enough money anymore. In an on-the-move society where instant gratification is a must, the gaming public seems to need to always keep their mouse fingers twitching in blazing first person shoot-outs and exhilarating car chases.

This has caused the market to be flooded with mindless action oriented games, leaving us adventure gamers pretty much out in the cold.

Fortunately for us, there are still people out there who do believe in this genre. And that number of people is increasing rapidly for the past few years. We've seen very interesting projects developing by independent studios, sometimes funded by small publishers. Also fans have been creating their own 'amateur' game projects, some good, some bad, some finished, many abandoned.

Adventure Developers is not only here to tell you about all of these interesting games and developing projects, but is also a source for news. Furthermore, we're a place to discuss games, projects and other issues with our visitors. Our forums are available for developers as well, to promote their projects, ask for help, find members for their teams, and more. We also publish articles, tutorials, and other features, sometimes written by (recognised) industry professionals.

In short: we're a place for both those who're interested in playing (independently developed) adventures and for those interested in developing their own games.

We hope you'll all have a pleasant stay.

@zohar: I'm familiar with that site, but note that that most of those games still have a copyright holder; thus downloading them is piracy. In short, it's a warez site. Please consult their FAQ.

Not everything on there was commercial, though and some games may have been released to the public domain, so there are some legal downloads to be found. Also, any software that is still available commercially has only a link to where you can purchase it from.

On the legal side, it's a good site to search for old screenshots, box art, history, and other specific information about the software and industry of yesterday.

The site has changed a bit since the last time I visited which was a long time ago. All of the more well known games used to be on there, as well, but I see that all of those have been removed so that the site lives up to its "underdog" reputation.

Posted By: zohar

Re: Adventure Developers - 10/31/04 13:20

Quote:

but note that that most of those games still have a copyright holder; thus downloading them is piracy. In short, it's a warez site. Please consult their FAQ.

wow , i didnt knew . sorry for that .
i dont want to link to any warez site , Ive just see that they have a link to online stores for some of the games , and to others they say to search for the game at the publisher's site , so i thought that all the rest (old ones) are abandonware .

however even without downloading , by reading the reviews of the games , you can get valuable information about good/bad ideas , things that make this title good from the other (the is a popularity meter) etc ..

and yes im against piracy , no one should download anything that is illegal .

Puzzle Implementation - 11/10/04 15:47

Puzzle Implementation

Quote:

...one aspect of an adventure that makes or breaks the suspension of disbelief is widely pushed aside and ends up as an afterthought, not, as it should be, treated as a cornerstone of the game, possibly right up there with the story; the puzzles. A good acid test is to look at your game without the story or graphics; would I want to play it as a game simply of puzzles? And if you have trouble imagining those puzzles without the story, that's even better; your puzzles are well integrated. So here, in no particular order, are my humble thoughts on how you can make a game that has puzzles that, instead of being superfluous, actually impress the player as much as the story or graphics.

3D or not 3D: That is the Question - 11/12/04 11:46

3D or not 3D: That is the Question

Quote:

3D adventure gaming is somewhat a new and controversial subject. For me, it's only recently that it's become a viable medium and I'm often slightly taken aback by some of the vehemence of those within our community that rally against it. They often cite past 3D titles as being the main reason as why it would never work, a questionable move compounded by the fact that those games fail simply because they're not great games, or suffered from the technology the developers were using back at that time. There's also a pickiness associated with 3D titles that doesn't transfer to 2D ones - simply put, most adventure gamers are OK settling for a mediocre (generalising maybe, but it's an example) title like Midnight Nowhere because of its simple point-and-click mouse controls when a better game like Broken Sword 3 gets kicked in the shins for some relatively minor control problems and a couple of "Dragon's Lair" interactive cutscenes which solve themselves... not that I'm agreeing with the fact that they're there, as you can see below. But it's a worthy point that many AG'ers seem to have something against 3D which I want to try to prove isn't justified.

Adventure Gaming Websites - 11/16/04 13:37

Here are a few of the more popular news/reviews websites that are essential for adventure fans. Forums, resources, links, and the whole nine yards are also included. There are more, and you'll be able to get to them by looking around the ones below:

Just Adventure

Adventure Gamers

Game Boomers

That Doesn't Work! - 11/27/04 05:18

That Doesn't Work!

Quote:

Depressingly Common Adventure Game Design Flaws. Inherent in all adventure games, excused in the professional ones and expected in the amateur, are the frustrations, the irksome little foibles that dog the experience, turning what should be a gleeful descent into a new pixellated fantasy into an exercise in skull-clenching horror. And yet, no matter how many windows are broken by carelessly hurled monitors, adventure games continue to contain these bugs, perhaps because even the most cherished adventures in history are sometimes guilty of the crimes, and they are as such made valid to the professional and amateur designers of today. My mission in life is to expose these disasters of gameplay, to warn others to avoid them, and as such end their tyranny on our leisure time.

This Month's Depressingly Common Adventure Game Design Flaw:

THAT DOESN'T WORK

Posted By: ISG

Re: That Doesn't Work! - 11/27/04 14:07

Wow OB

You sure do your research for these sites, and by the looks of it you like Adventure Games? lol Just a wild guess :P

Re: That Doesn't Work! - 11/27/04 20:05

Yeah, but for the most part I try to post things that can be applied towards other types of games, as well.

The Importance of Story - 12/15/04 16:59

The Importance of Story Part 1

The Importance of Story Part 2

Quote:

The general lack of story-telling in video games is pretty pervasive(though not without exception). It is also, in my opinion, a big waste. If there is any medium with which a story could be conveyed powerfully, it’s video games for one simple reason: interaction. The player must take part in the reality the game creates, so they are already that much closer to things like suspension of disbelief, immersion, and identification with the characters.

21 Adventure Game Design Tips

Quote:

Over the past nine years Larry Ahern and I have worked with many different adventure game designers and on many adventure games. We both contributed heavily to the game designs for all those projects. Larry even got to co designed The Curse of Monkey Island with Jonathan Ackly. During those projects we have learned a lot about the genre including these basic adventure game design ‘rules’, or you could just consider them ‘strong suggestions’. The word ‘rules’ seem a bit strong for such a flexible genre as adventure games. Also many of these ‘rules’ can be applied successfully to other game genres as well.

Adventure Music

Quote:

There are very few tutorials on the net for making music or a soundtrack to a point and click adventure game, and the one's I read never tell you how to do it. Therefore, I'm going to give you as clear pointers as I can, so you can walk away from this tutorial and actually compose something. Of course, they're just pointers - enabling you to define your own styles etc, but I thought I'd go through some of the key elements to making in-game music.

The Making of a Computer Game - 12/16/04 03:07

The Making of a Computer Game Part 1 of 8

Quote:

The vision is clear, if a game is totally open and without end it will have the potential to live on ad infinitum. The challenge is such a game is adding mechanisms that control the game content, but even this might not be very hard, mainly because players would be able to handle a lot by their interactions and contributions alone. The real issue is to make the “ultimate” finite state machine that can handle the reactions on all the player actions. When the complexity reach a critical point the world should take on a life of its own. This phenomenon is well known among programmers and people working with life simulations. When the simplified game theory models can be applied to a game environment the rest should be only maintenance. Maybe I am dreaming, and have moved to far into the future on the latter statements, but I actually suspect much of this is already out there, but in shards that just need to be collected and glued together.

The Fear Factor: Horror Game Design 101 - 12/18/04 20:20

The Fear Factor: Horror Game Design 101

Quote:

In 1995, a friend and myself rented a top floor portion of an old binding factory in Downtown St. Louis, in which there was over ½ acre of floor space. Since I was about 11, I had been jotting down notes about creating my own haunted house, and finally my dream came true. I am going to cite the order of its design and construction as it can relate to the process of game development. Just imagine a virtual haunted house attraction and build it in 3D geometry instead of wood, drywall and steel studs. It is a great idea to carry a small pocket size notebook with you so you can jot down ideas. Alhtough designing and creating the story for the game is time consuming; time is on your side. Sometimes you wake up in the middle of night with an idea, so it is best to have a tablet and pen always handy. H.R. Giger did this - one result was the design for the 'Alien' creature. I can say I have been in the least 'inspired' by vivid nightmares and 'night terrors' as well.

Puzzle Theory - 12/19/04 14:14

Puzzle Theory

Quote:

Ever been stuck for a new puzzle, one that isn't just "give item to man?" Well, below are some of the accumulated puzzle theories from various people here at the AGS pages. I've compiled them into categories and come up with some of my own. A good puzzle maker should combine many of these ideas and her or his own.

A good puzzle should not just be fun to solve, but be intimately linked to the game, to the style and tone.

All puzzles should be in some sense original, or repeated for parody effect.

"Interview with Jordan Mechner" - 12/26/04 08:51

[url=http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20041224/rouse_01.shtml]Game Design: Theory & Practice Second Edition:
"Interview with Jordan Mechner"[/url]

Quote:

The following excerpt comes from Richard Rouse III's book Game Design: Theory & Practice, which has just been released in a thoroughly revised and expanded second edition. The book covers all aspects of game design, from coming up with a solid idea to creating the design document to implementing the gameplay to playtesting the final game. The book also explores the craft of game design through in-depth interviews with some of the field's most experienced and successful game designers. The interview subjects include Sid Meier, Ed Logg, Steve Meretzky, Chris Crawford, Jordan Mechner, Will Wright, and Doug Church. Below is an excerpt from Mechner's particularly thorough interview, covering his superb but overlooked The Last Express, as well as his most recent triumph, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

Playing the Fool - 01/05/05 14:50

Playing the Fool

Quote:

All of which brings me to the subject that has been irking me this month, cherished reader: adventure game protagonists who are jerks. I’m not talking about the ones who are supposed to be jerks, but adventure game characters the designer expected us to empathise with and care about, when in fact they are the biggest jerks in the world who badly deserve to get hit by a speeding train.

Take note, amateur designers: the portrayal of the player character is vital to an adventure game’s appeal, because they are the player’s representative in the game’s universe. The protagonist is, in effect, an extension of the player’s corporeal form. An extrusion. A limb, if you like. And nobody likes to know that one of their limbs is a jerk.

Give it your best shot, console jockey.. - 01/07/05 13:07

Give it your best shot, console jockey, but we're not dead yet!

Quote:

There are some myths, like perennial urban legends, that just seem impossible to kill off. One that took root a few years ago, and keeps coming back to haunt us, is this mindless dogma from the mainstream gaming press that declares the traditional adventure game to be dead and buried. Almost every unfavourable review of an adventure title contains a phrase to this effect, as if it is a licence to justify a bad review... but I'm not going to dwell too much on that here. No, I'd like to discuss a more insidious problem: the reviewing of adventure games by people who apparently have not a clue what an adventure game is all about!

1. Reviewing an adventure game as if it's supposed to be an action game

2. Denigrating a game simply because it is 'point-and-click'

3. Encouraging the introduction of action elements into adventure games

4. Spoiling the puzzles and the plot

5. Complaining about the length of the dialogue

6. Admitting to using a walkthrough, and then claiming the puzzles were too easy

7. Comparing every adventure game to Grim Fandango

Dark Fall franchise: The One Person Show

The site has a making of section...click on the Creation link. Programs used: Macromedia Director, Strata3D, Poser, and SoundForge. It's a commercial title published by bigwigs The Adventure Company and made by one person, Jonathan Boakes.

Quandary

This is another adventure game site. The features section has a lot of interesting opinion columns on the state of the industry. There's also quite a few like the one above that comments on the mainstream press view of the genre.

Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Give it your best shot, console jockey.. - 01/07/05 15:08

Quote:

2. Denigrating a game simply because it is 'point-and-click'

What's wrong with doing this.. point and click has always been lame.

Re: Give it your best shot, console jockey.. - 01/07/05 17:35

Quote:

point and click has always been lame

The classic franchises: King's Quest, Space Quest, Quest for Glory, Simon the Sorceror, The Journeyman Project, Gobliiins, Myst, Broken Sword, Zork, Syberia, Monkey Island, Leisure Suit Larry, Tex Murphy, Gabriel Knight, Discworld.

The classic singles: The Dig, The Adventures of Willy Beamish, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tenacle, Sanitarium, The Longest Journey, Blade Runner, Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders, Loom, The Last Express, The Neverhood, Bad Mojo, Beneath a Steel Sky, Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist, Shadowgate, Deja Vu, The Uninvited, The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes, I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream, Star Trek 25th Anniversary, Toonstruck, Pepper's Adventure in Time, Beavis & Butthead in Virtual Stupidity, Grim Fandango(not P&C) and a hundred others I can't remember.

Lame? Nah.
Posted By: Dan Silverman

Re: Give it your best shot, console jockey.. - 01/07/05 17:46

Quote:

What's wrong with doing this.. point and click has always been lame.

I have to strongly disagree with you ... very strongly. While I have played real-time 3D games and create assets for real-time 3D applications, my fondest memories of games are of the point and click genre. Games like The Journeyman Project, Buried in Time, Myst, Riven, Zork: Nemesis and others all come to mind. While a myriad of FPS and strategy games have been installed and uninstalled from my computer, it is the point and click genre of games that I still cling to their CDs and reinstall from time to time to play.

2004 TCN Awards Nominees List - 01/17/05 00:18

2004 TCN Awards Nominees List

This is the first round list for the 2004 The Crow's Nest Awards of all independent adventures nominated so far. There will be a round two later on this month. There's some pretty decent stuff of varying styles and quality on the list this year, and all are freeware and available to play, now.

I haven't played them all, but Maniac Mansion Deluxe(made with AGS), A Case of the Crabs(Flash based), and Airdale(Alone in the Dark clone made with Blender) are my favorites so far.

The Cold Hotspot - 01/23/05 09:47

The Cold Hotspot

Quote:

The adventure game is not sacred or written in stone and needs to own up to it! There, I said it. Sue me, but you'll be doing so more out of spiteful denial than charges of defamation. The truth is, the adventure game genre, as we all know it, has long been suffering from obscurity, lack of progress, sheer banality, isolation (surprise!), and, simply, from the garden variety of dullness. And everyone - developers, publishers, the media, and yes, we gamers ourselves - is guilty of creating and fueling this suffering. The apparent sources of my grievances, viewed top-down, are obvious, but some are less so. As I delve deeper, I'm finding some intriguing and inherent contradictions, fallacies, and redundancies that add to this muck. As devoted supporters and partakers of the adventure game, don't we all want to see it move ahead and reach a bigger audience and be restored back to its former glory as it was during the days of Lucas Arts and Sierra and -- Stop right there!! You see? That's what I mean! You didn't catch it, did you? Read on.

Ask the Developers

Quote:

Have you ever wanted to be a fly on the wall when a group of adventure developers gather together to discuss game design, genre issues, and industry concerns? Or better yet, how about having those same developers share their perspectives on issues that concern you?

Wish no further, for that time has come. Welcome to the first-ever edition of “Ask The Developers.”

The topic of our first chat centers on U.S. markets.

Why Adventure Games Suck circa 1989 - 01/31/05 12:23

Why Adventure Games Suck circa 1989

Quote:

Of all the different types of games, the ones I most enjoy playing are adventure/story games. It is no surprise that this is also the genre for which I design. I enjoy games in which the pace is slow and the reward is for thinking and figuring, rather than quick reflexes. The element that brings adventure games to life for me is the stories around which they are woven. When done right, it is a form of storytelling that can be engrossing in a way that only interaction can bring. The key here is “done right”, which it seldom is.

Cutscenes: The Cancer of the Industry

Quote:

It’s not exactly visionary to think that because it hasn’t been done well, it can’t or shouldn’t be done. What we should do is figure out how to tell stories in games. We should also realize that there are several different types of games, some want stories, and others don’t. A good FPS doesn’t need a story, and forcing one upon it just embarrasses everyone involved (see: porn).

The real issue is not that stories shouldn’t be told in games, it’s that the cut-scene is the wrong way to tell a story in a game. Interactivity is like a drug, once you give it to people they don’t want it taken away. A good interactive story teller should understand this and the narrative would be woven into the interaction is a seamless way. It should react to the player’s every choice and twitch. It should flow around and immerse them. This is the holy grail of interactive story telling, and I for one will continue the quest.

The Cold Hotspot Part 2 - 02/05/05 15:16

See part one two posts up. This second part is really great and one of the better reads in this thread.

The Cold Hotspot Part 2

Quote:

You've heard it countless times before. According to the media the adventure game is dead. Or dying. Or at least no longer important. The irony is that other genres, like role playing games (RPGs) and first person shooters (FPSs), have been borrowing key attributes and techniques of the adventure game for years, and even some of them are doing it better now than most modern adventures. You can discern this in titles like No One Lives Forever 2, Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic, Deus Ex, Beyond Good & Evil, and Fable. When this happens, the game expands into new territory, it grows, deepens, and the player often discovers a new way to have fun. The game innovates and the genre diversifies. Silent Hill 3, despite its survival horror pedigree, features wickedly difficult puzzles on par with that of Myst or The Longest Journey. Fable, an RPG, rewards players for thorough exploration by allowing them to discover peripheral but enriching stories about the game's world and characters, very much like an inquisitive dialogue tree in any adventure game.

So then, why are adventure game designers not doing the same by plucking elements from other genres, being inspired by them? And why this tunnel vision notion from the adventure community that any outside influences will destroy the genre as we know it? Today developers and many gamers treat any suggestion of experimentation and - god forbid - innovation, as if it were heresy.

Adventure Architect #12 - 02/07/05 18:45

There has been a 12th Adventure Architect posted. This series covers the creation of a 2D point & click adventure game from start to finish. When the series ends, the game is complete and will be given away for free:

Adventure Architect Series #12

Quote:

Think about your favorite adventure games. Gabriel Knight. Monkey Island. Broken Sword. Grim Fandango. The Longest Journey. The stories are very different, but they each have one thing in common: great characters. Whether the goal is to make your way through the Land of the Dead or solve the mystery of the Templars, the reason you care about your quest at all is because you like the characters in the game.

See the first eleven parts here:

http://www.chapter11studios.com/newsupdates.htm

Tim Schafer on taking risks - 02/10/05 02:51

Tim Schafer on taking risks

Quote:

[Executive at large publisher]: "This [Psychonauts] is really great. This is creative. It's too bad people aren't going for creative stuff right now."

Brief history of action/adventure genre

Quote:

As more and more new gamers appeared, to them, both genres were new, and the similarities, as well as the way the games were promoted by certain magazines or Internet sites, created the misconception that it was the same genre, just with different elements.

Posted By: A.Russell

Re: Tim Schafer on taking risks - 02/10/05 03:19

YOu can see their point of view, though. It costs puplishers millions to market a single game, and most of them don't turn a profit. It's comfortable to go with proven success formulas and big name franchises. As the costs of production increase (fasten your seatbelts as the new X-box and Play Station are released), so does the risk.

However, for the same reason, it would seem fair that a really good speal might get you a look in. Since publishers are expecting a good percentage of games to fail anyway, an outstanding original idea should get a chance, though that doesn't seem to be the case too often.

And the Loser is.... - 02/15/05 02:41

And the Loser is...

Quote:

Clearly adventure games are a 'problematic' category for the industry. But is the AIAS 'solution' of lumping adventures with other genres fair? Can you imagine the motion picture academy (Oscars) with a best acton/romantic comedy category?

The changes to the categories over the years show that AIAS have tried to be accommodating by changing things around, RPGs are a case in point. Role-playing games were recognised as a game type that was deserving of its own category and there has been no move to lump them together with general action games. Adventure games too have their own unique style of gameplay and their own audience. So wouldn't it be great to see adventure games endorsed by AIAS with a category of their own once again?

10 Adventure Games for Lovers

10 Best Adventure Games that (almost) no one has ever Played

10 Biggest Turkeys of all Time

10 Games You Won't Believe

Son of 10 Games You Won't Believe

10 Scariest Games of All Time - already posted but it goes with the series

Foundations of Interactive Storytelling - 02/28/05 17:52

This is friggin' fantastic:

Foundations of Interactive Storytelling

Inside the Minds of Gaming's Master Storytellers - 03/20/05 13:37

Inside the Minds of Gaming's Master Storytellers

Quote:

In a feature article at Gamespot, Editor-in-Chief Greg Kasavin muses that the only way to truly move and transport us in our experience of games is through storytelling. It's the one love in games that he enjoys most. And he's not alone in this.

As games become increasingly sophisticated technologically it seems that fundamentally human elements - narrative and characterization - are being ignored. But there are still a handful of passionate developers for whom story, not so much awesome gameplay or graphics, is the real motivating force.

Kasavin talks to well renowned designers about this. Among them are adventure game giants Tim Schafer (Grim Fandango, Full Throttle) and Ragnar Tørnquist (The Longest Journey, Dreamfall). Tørnquist says that his upcoming Dreamfall "...[plays] with structure and pacing in a way that just hasn't been done in this medium before, and that's incredibly fascinating." He also talks with three other masters: Hideo Kojima, Chris Avellone, and Ted Levine.

Posted By: pocorev

Re: Inside the Minds of Gaming's Master Storytellers - 03/21/05 06:22

@ Orange Brat - thanks for this thread... currently my favourite, and i'm learning loads!

Oughtta Stay Out of Pictures - 03/21/05 13:57

Oughtta Stay Out of Pictures

Quote:

Today's games are strongest not when they're slavishly emulating cinema, but when they borrow from disciplines like urban design and architecture. Few of my friends got particularly jazzed about the story in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. But everyone raves about the open-ended environment—the hundreds of buildings you can enter, the dozens of souped-up cars you can jack, the fact that you can ignore the missions and just perform sick BMX stunts for a few hours. As a story, GTA is no Boyz n the Hood. But as a theme park? It's better than Disneyland.

The State of Adventure Gaming - 03/25/05 16:54

The State of Adventure Gaming

Quote:

Far be it from me to question the opinions of Tim Schafer, whose last game in 1998 was the now classic Grim Fandango (which, supposedly, never lived up to Lucas Arts sales expectations), so I’ll leave that choice in your hands.

[context omitted...see article in link for the parts that lead to the author's remarks below]

Graphics killed adventure games?! Adventure games are dead!? Well, for once, I’m at a loss for words, and the few that do come to mind would probably get me in hot water so I’ll just shut up.

But, if you would like to respond to Tim's comments, his email address at Doublefine – as provided in the CGM article – is info(@)doublefine.com. Maybe the developers of the upcoming Dreamfall, Myst V, Still Life, Lost Paradise, Keepsake, Martin Mystere, Around the World in 80 Days, Nancy Drew & The Secret of the Old Clock, Runaway 2, Tony Tough in a Rake’s Progress, Agon, Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None, Vampyre Story, Delaware St. John and others would like to write Tim and commiserate over the death of the genre.

(Neither Doublefine nor Highwater Group, Majesco’s p.r. firm for Psychonauts, have yet to respond to multiple requests to speak to Tim Schafer regarding his remarks in Computer Games Magazine)

The State of Adventure Gaming Controversy - 04/08/05 02:10

Controversy has erupted all around the adventure gaming world and all because of the link in the last post:

Response by Howard Sherman of Malinche Entertainment

Quote:

After reading the latest Just Adventure State of Adventure Gaming, I was more than a little surprised by Computer Games Magazine's recent interview with Tim Schafer and some of his comments. In this piece I will set the record straight on adventure games altogether with an understandable emphasis on text adventure games. Sorry, Tim.

The question Computer Games Magazine asked "What do you think killed adventure games?" My question is -- Where did they get the idea adventure games were dead? We have to assume they are journalists so why did they even ask such an inaccurate, unqualified question? Is there some sort of hidden agenda here?

Response by Scorpia - Computer Gaming World critic

Quote:

There was a time, not too long ago, when it did appear that adventure games might be on the way out. Then came the astonishing - not to mention, mind-boggling - success of Myst. Single-handed, this beautiful but mediocre game revived the adventure industry.

Of course, that was fueled by greed. Everyone wanted "the next Myst" and no one pulled it off. Nonetheless, it gave a boost to the genre, and while the momentum may be slowing down, the genre is far from dead.

Therefore, I think that tolling funeral bells for adventure games is premature. In the future, there may be less product, but my belief is: as long as a market exists, there will be a supply. It may come through broadband downloads of independent products and small releases from European software houses, but as long as enough people want them, there will be adventure games. Graphics or no graphics. 'Nuff said.

Don’t Bring a Naked Man to a Funeral - Letter to the Editor from Moonbuzz

Quote:

I just finished reading the article concerning Tim Schafer's interview, and there were things about it that quite bothered me, not much in the quotes, as the opinions presented there were heavily debated, from all aspects, but more at the actual commentary attached to them. I supplied my own comments, keeping with the "spirit" of the editorial, and the level of journalistic used in it.

"Far be it from me to question the opinions of Tim Schafer, whose last game in 1998 was the now classic Grim Fandango (which, supposedly, never lived up to Lucas Arts sales expectations), so I’ll leave that choice in your hands."

Here we have a class A lesson at poorly disguised demagogy.

The Wonderful World of Hybrids

Quote:

But for now, unfortunately, creating a hybrid game is a very risky business.

2004 AG Underground Awards

Quote:

Last year when we handed out the first annual Adventure Gamers Underground Awards, we talked about how excited we were that the strength of the field led to so much lengthy debate to settle on our nominees and our eventual winners. We certainly couldn't have foreseen how much stronger the field would be this year—a fact which will become even more evident as we reveal the winners for 2004 in the coming pages.

To avoid repeating such exhaustion, though, we changed our methods this year. Last time we attempted to settle the awards by lengthy, subjective debates, and vowed never again to put ourselves through that. This year, the five members of the Underground staff each cast their votes for winner, plus first and second runners up. Using a 3-2-1 scoring system, we arrived at our winners (and were fortunate enough to avoid ties). I think you'll find the results to be quite interesting.

Of course we want to thank all of the dedicated Underground designers out there who continue to devote their time to creating free adventures simply for a love of the genre. We salute you and hope to see the quality of Underground adventures continue to grow in 2005. Now, take some time to refresh yourself on who the nominees are, and then let's begin handing out the awards!

We Already Hate Your Game - 04/11/05 01:52

Sad but true:

We Already Hate Your Game

The Cold Hotspot Pt. 3: Selling Ice to Eskimoes - 04/21/05 03:48

The Cold Hotspot Part 3: Selling Ice to Eskimoes
Courtesy of Adventure Developers

Quote:

The third installment of Beiddie Rafól's The Cold Hotspot: A critique of the state of adventure games, is now available! This time Beiddie looks at adventure game marketing. "Marketing is the worst problem of the adventure genre, above outdated design and technology."

Part 2: Warmed Over Leftovers
Part 1: Written in Stone?

Dimitris Manos, Editor of The Inventory magazine, weighs in on Tim Schafer's comments about adventures being dead(from 2-3 posts up):

Quote:

What is your take on Tim Schafer's "Graphics Killed the Adventure Game" statement?

Let me answer your question with another question. What is your take on Robert Theobald’s “The millennium bug will have as big an impact on the global economies as the oil shocks of the 1970s” statement? I really think it’s counterproductive to talk about whether adventure games are dead or not and if they are what killed them. It is as redundant and outdated as talking about whether the millennium bug will cause havoc and mass hysteria. Anyway, you asked so I’ll answer. Adventures faced extinction during the end of the 90s, beginning of 2000. And for those who would like to know what almost killed the adventure genre…well here are in my opinion some of the most serious attempts to murder the genre back at that time:

- Grim Fandango
- Phantasmagoria 2
- King’s Quest 8
- Simon the Sorcerer 3D
- A bazillion Myst-clones produced by that time
- Monkey Island 4
- The guys who fooled Ken Williams into selling Sierra to them

The fact that Sierra and Lucasarts stopped producing adventures was a major blow for the genre. I mean, imagine if today Valve, ID Software and Rockstar Games announced that they would not create shooters anymore, wouldn’t that be a major blow for FPS games? It certainly would, even though it’s easier to create a good FPS than it is to create a good adventure game. If you are an FPS designer, you can come up with a new gun that can pick up objects and throw them at other people, and you’ll have FPS geeks screaming like little girls and worshiping you as the mega-developer of all times. Now compare that to …say…Le Serpent Rouge puzzle from GK3…. and tell me which one is the most difficult to come up with.

Coming back to the adventure genre…well the genre managed to survive each and every blow it received, it’s been recovering for a while and now it’s taking nice healthy walks in the park. Soon we expect the genre to start running again. Let’s see some of the developers working on adventures right now…Autumn Moon Entertainment, Telltale Games, Wicked Studios, Revistronic, House of Tales, Frogwares, Deck 13, Pendulo Studios, White Birds Productions, Microids …those are only some I could remember right now. Compare that with the developers working on adventures in 2000 and you’ll see what I mean. The genre never died and never will, so people… just move on.

You wanna know something that is actually dead? Creativity in the gaming industry. That’s dead with a capital D. Go in a games store and look at the titles there, it should be enough. Half of the titles feature on their box some tough-looking guys pointing a gun at you and the other half consists of licenses and RPGs. If someone would make a statement about “Graphics killing creativity in games”… now that would be something really interesting, up-to-date and exciting to read/comment upon

Entire interview is here

Showing Character by Steve Ince - 04/24/05 04:54

Showing Character - latest in a series of articles from Steve Ince. The rest are down the left side of the page

Quote:

Although getting a good name is important, it’s also got to fit the style of character. A strong and bold name wouldn’t necessarily fit a character who’s really just an ordinary guy thrust into a series of events outside of his control. Yes, he may rise to the challenge and become a hero, but choosing a name that fits his initial nature can emphasise just how far he’s come in his journey through the story.

Posted By: SandGroper

Re: Showing Character by Steve Ince - 04/24/05 09:28

arent all games a copy of the first ?

a dolly come here baa baa!

Use Key on Door - 05/09/05 20:30

Use Key on Door

Quote:

No 1920s moustache-twirling Hollywood villain ever sat down and wrung his hands in glee with the intention of turning adventure games into endless chains of boring courier quests. The glut of Use Key To Open Door came about unconsciously, quite naturally, through the gradual simplification of the adventure game interface.

Anticipated games - 06/01/05 06:34

Here's just some of the more anticipated adventure games coming out over the next couple of years. A wide variety of art styles, tone, gameplay type(point & click, direct control), etc are represented. This doesn't take into account the large number of amateur titles, lesser known commercial titles, and fan remakes/sequels that are all over the place. I won't be playing all of these, but there is plenty there that I'm looking forward to on top of the small handful of top quality titles that are out right now(Still Life, The Moment of Silence are my current time stealers).

Realtime 3D:

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey - sequel to one of the big boys

Fahrenheit(known as Indigo Prophecy in the US) - the buzz on this is that it'll open the flood gates and the 2nd Golden Age of the adventure game will drown us in its potential greatness

Myst V: End of Ages - this is the series final installment

Fenimore Fillmore's Revenge - no official site, yet, so screens will do for now. The third Fenimore game...part 2 was known as Wanted!: A Wild Western Adventure(aka The Westerner). It looked like Toy Story but this new one is more realistic and mature

Ankh - Egyptian based, cartoony game. Getting good buzz

Around the World in 80 Days - the name says it all. First realtime game from veteran developers

2.5D(3D objects on 2D backgrounds):

Bone - episodic series based on the cult comic/graphic novel

A Vampyre's Story - fully animated Monkey Island/Lucasarts style greatness in the making

Paradise - not much is known. Set in Africa and from the designer of the famous Syberia franchise

And Then There Were None - a new Agatha Christie game..no website...no screens...no nothing

Tony Tough in A Rake's Progress - the humor in this sequel should be insane

2D:

Juniper Crescent: The Sapphire Claw - from the designer of the Broken Sword games

Runaway 2 - no official site so only screenshots for now. Sequel to one of the bigger selling(a few hundred thousand) adventures of the past few years.

Scratches - Myst style horror game

Boyz Don't Cry - an interesting style and sounds like a nice bit of dark humor

Adventure Architect, Part 13 - 06/29/05 04:20

Adventure Architect Part 13 - interacting with the game world

You can find the other twelve parts on the right side of this website.

Anatomy of a Game Company

Don't Listen to the Fans!! - 07/01/05 07:33

Don't Listen to the Fans!!

Quote:

It's a phrase that is almost instinctive to say: "They should listen to the fans!". But should developers really do that? Or more accurately, should they listen to those few fans who spend far too much time discussing games on internet forums? At a certain point during the life of a game or franchise, some vocal devotees will inevitably begin to feel ownership of their subject of fandom. But when game developers appear to ignore their wishes, this should not be seen as a bad sign. It probably means they know what they're doing.

Turn significant other into an adventure gamer - 07/05/05 04:59

Please turn my girlfriend (or significant other) into an adventure gamer!

Quote:

I am writing this to all of you who have a yearning desire to transform your somewhat normal and impressionable “better half” into an extreme adventure gamer such as yourself with a few, simple steps! You may ask why I would go to such lengths to do such a generous task. Well my friends, I am a crossover. I am an adventure gamer's girlfriend turned adventure gamer herself. Woah Bela! That'a a hella lot to take in all at once! So let us begin back at the beginning of my story. So I started dating this guy who I thought was really nice, and good looking and then I suddenly found out he was a key player in the “adventure gaming industry.” Now for someone like me, this pretty much sounded like he was a key player in the “nerdy, weirdo, lives in my parents basement” industry. Now stick with me, please don't be insulted, trust me: my ways have changed! But this guy was pretty hot, so I decided to stick with him anyways.

The Making of Maniac Mansion - 07/09/05 00:02

The Making of Maniac Mansion

Quote:

Reshaping the very core of the prolific adventure game genre, its specifically designed Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion engine evolved such a charismatic, inimitably creative vibe that it would invent a new subgenre defined by many simply as ‘LucasArts adventures’.

Posted By: jono

Re: The Making of Maniac Mansion - 07/09/05 16:57

thx for the link,i love this game.

Application of Puzzle Theory - 07/14/05 09:29

Application of Puzzle Theory

Quote:

Quid Pro Quo / Exchange Puzzles
Inventory / Combination Puzzles
Timing Puzzles
Distract-n-Grab Puzzles
Maze Puzzles
Escape Puzzles
Disguise Puzzles
Cryptogram Puzzles
Memory-based Sequence Puzzles
Logic Sequence / Device Puzzles
Repeated-Action Puzzles
Dialogue Puzzles
Forced Dialogue Puzzles
Riddles and Logic Puzzles
GUI / Board Puzzles
Dead Ends, Red Herrings and Faux Puzzles

So You Wanna be a Game Designer - 07/25/05 16:15

So You Wanna be a Game Designer

Quote:

"I was making my own games, programming them, doing all the artwork, the production, level design, and everything because I didn't have anybody else to do it for me."

The Cold Hotspot, Part 4

Quote:

As discouraging as the state of the adventure game genre has been in the past several years, there is actually progress and betterment being achieved, if we stop and look closer. There are some trends being explored, new technology investigated, alternate ways for us to get games, and a gradual increase in games with more personality as well as higher quality. More importantly, there looks to be a hint of designing adventures to be more inviting and attractive to a larger market.

The other parts: http://www.adventuredevelopers.com/regularfeatures.php?action=view&id=4

Zombies - 07/25/05 23:16

Posted By: Nems

Re: Zombies - 07/26/05 07:15

Well if it worked for Peter, why nor eh?
But then again, I love Zombies.....they are such obliging fellows.

What Every Developer Needs to Know about Story - 08/08/05 08:06

What Every Game Developer Needs to Know about Story

Quote:

There are a number of places where we've gone wrong in game stories so far. Most of the problems spring from two basic misunderstandings:

Story is dialog.
Story doesn't matter.

Sure, story is partly dialog. And a cake is part frosting. But here's a large fact that I'll elaborate on in just a moment: Story is CONFLICT.

Marketing Niche Genres

Quote:

Nippon Ichi is a bit of an odd company in the contemporary game world, as they release very niche titles exclusively, and actually manage to succeed. Their bread and butter is the 2D strategy RPG genre, something the industry as a whole has started to shy away from, in favor of mainstream acceptance. After releasing two titles through third party publishers (Mastiff and Atlus, respectively), Nippon Ichi, which means "Japan Number One", has made the move to America. We had a talk with Nippon Ichi Software America's marketing coordinator Jack Niida about his thoughts on the Japanese industry, pleasing your fanbase and niche genres as sustainable business.

Get Lamp: The Text Adventure Documentary - 08/09/05 07:20

Get Lamp: The Text Adventure Documentary

Quote:

GET LAMP is a documentary about Text Adventures (later Interactive Fiction), the storytellers who created them, and their unique place in the history of computer games. It is being created by Jason Scott, director of "BBS: The Documentary", located at bbsdocumentary.com. If you wish to be notified of progress of this project (expected to be filmed in 2006) or think you would like to contribute information, please write jason at jason(at)textfiles.com.

Chasing the Dream

Quote:

Another analogy can be made between games and music—specifically, with the emergence of rock and roll in the 1950s. Like games today, it was a new art form that was condemned for encouraging bad behaviour among young people. Some records were banned from the radio, and others had their lyrics changed. Politicians called for laws banning the sending of offending records by post. But now the post-war generation has grown up, rock and roll is considered to be harmless. Rap music, or gaming, is under attack instead. “There's always this pattern,” says Mr Williams of the University of Illinois. “Old stuff is respected, and new stuff is junk.” Novels, he points out, were once considered too lowbrow to be studied at university. Eventually the professors who believed this retired. Novels are now regarded as literature. “Once a generation has its perception, it is pretty much set,” says Mr Williams. “What happens is that they die.”

Tell Me a Story - 09/01/05 09:09

Tell Me a Story

Quote:

This month's Depressingly Common Adventure Game Design Flaw:

TELL ME A STORY

A game with a poor story gives you the entire background in a few paragraphs just before playing, with some crude objective like 'rescue Princess Dumbo', and then the game trundles on with no major events until her royal braindead majesty is recovered. A good story is told all throughout the game, not just right at the beginning. Think of Grim Fandango. That's got one of the best plots in adventure gaming history, but how much of it are you aware of at the start? Very, very little, and it's only towards the end, through conflict after conflict, that you finally realise your true objective. Treat exposition like cheesecake. Give it out in small portions and no one will get a sick tummy.

Pupils learn through Myst - 09/02/05 07:42

Pupils Learn through Myst Game

Quote:

In a recent story from BBC News, Tim Rylands, a teacher at Chew Magna Primary School, Bristol, UK, is using the adventure game Myst to teach his young pupils.

Running counter to the media frenzy over gratuitous sex and violence in video games, the students are actually learning from the game to develop visual language skills which, according to Rylands, help them to be more imaginative with problem solving in real life. It also fosters a more social and inspiring learning climate where the children can take their time putting their heads together to solve the game's many puzzles.

For his progressive endeavors Rylands was awarded the BECTA (British Educational Communications and Technology Agency) honor this year for his use of technology as a teaching tool. Furthermore the school's national attainment levels have shot up dramatically. But most importantly, the direct results can be seen in the students themselves as they moan when class is over, not when it starts.

Death to the Games Industry: Long Live Games - 09/03/05 09:09

Death to the Games Industry: Long Live Games

Quote:

Glitz Over Gameplay
The problem is that once something becomes technically feasible, the market demands it. Gamers themselves are partly to blame: Indie rock fans may prefer somewhat
muddy sound over some lushly-orchestrated, producer-massaged score; indie film fans may prefer quirky, low-budget titles over big-budget special FX extravaganzas; but in gaming, we have no indie aesthetic, no group of people (of any size at least) who prize independent vision and creativity over production values.

But the nature of the market and distribution channel is even more to blame. When a developer goes to a publisher to pitch a title, the publisher does not greenlight it because they play it and say "what a great game!" The developer may not even have a playable demo - but what he will have is a demo reel, a non-interactive visual pitch that may work to get some sense of gameplay across, but is mainly designed to impress the marketing dweebs with the graphics. Glitz, not gameplay, is what sells the publisher.

For that matter, half of the people sitting in on that greenlight meeting are probably marketing suits who think they're in a packaged goods industry, and are a lot more concerned about branding than anything else. Sequels and licenses, good; creativity - that's too risky.

Quote:

The result is that the average game (not the industry as a whole) loses more and more money. The publishers make up the losses on the few games that hit.
In other words: There is no room in this industry for niche product. There is no room for creativity or quirky vision. It's hit big, or don't try.

Quote:

Developers live from contract to contract - and if they don't land the next contract, they're out of business. Happens all the time. It's happened to me, in fact, and I'm hardly alone: Work like a dog, get to gold master, have a party to celebrate - and file for unemployment.

Interactivity in Adventure Games - 09/13/05 05:34

Interactivity in Adventure Games

Quote:

Adventure games tell stories, and to do that adventure games create worlds. A game world can never feel alive unless it can be interacted with in some way. It doesn't have to be a video, it doesn't even have to be something that changes the game, but it has to be *something*. If you only allow your player to do things that immediately affect gameplay (though these are obviously the meat of the game and its interactivity, and the more you have of them and the more varied they are, the better), you will have a world that is functional - but not alive.

The Slide-Show Must Go On

Quote:

People are yearning for the ability to freely move around the gameworld, looking at objects from every angle, opening every drawer, manipulating everything they see. This goes beyond 3D games as they currently are, or likely to be for some time yet. They (or some of them) want a wider range of actions like jumping and running and pushing. Immersion is the name of the game (or mimesis if you don't like getting wet.) Realism, the game making you feel you're actually there, virtual reality, enter the matrix. That's a valid viewpoint, and no doubt there are great 3D Adventure games to be made. But there is still a niche for slideshow Adventures. They still have value. Some reasons why.

Game Genre Lifecycle - 10/05/05 23:27

Game Genre Lifecycle Part 1
Game Genre Lifecycle Part 1.5
Game Genre Lifecycle Part 2
Game Genre Lifecycle Part 3
Game Genre Lifecycle Part 4

Quote:

Over the years people have bemoaned the rise and fall of various gaming genres, but there has been little analysis behind the functional processes that drive this critical market systems.

Genres are a major defining factor in the creation of rich markets of avid gamers and designers ignore them at our own risk. We cannot assume that a genre will always exist, or that a genre will have competitive room for our latest title. A genre in the wane is a dangerous market where past success is no indication of future success.

Equally important is the opportunity that genres present. If we can understand how genres arise and change over time, we can tilt fate in our favor by releasing and developing new titles that hit emerging genres with the correct timing and release strategies.

The State of Adventure Gaming - 10/05 - 10/23/05 05:55

The State of Adventure Gaming - October 2005

Quote:

What’s ironic, is that the critically acclaimed, but sluggish-selling platformer, Psychonauts was supposed to be Tim Schafer’s answer to the supposedly dead adventure genre. Last I checked though, there seemed to be more than a few adventure games on the horizon and not so many platform games. Hmmmm…..

Drawing 2D Adventure Backgrounds - 10/25/05 08:36

Drawing a Sierra-Esque Forest Scene

Final image: http://www.corbydesigns.com/forest/images/45.jpg

Drawing a Town Scene

Final image: http://www.corbydesigns.com/lesson/Tutorial/done.jpg

NPC Characterization - 10/26/05 04:22

NPC Characterization - discusses how to make dialogue seem more realistic

Coloring a Background Image - Bad Timing style

Re: NPC Characterization - 11/02/05 23:51

One of the developers of "A Vampyre Story" recently posted this tiny pearl of info. on the official AVS forum:

Quote:

Hi All,

Concerning characters and dialogue, I learned a very valuable lesson from Brad (Incredibles, Iron Giant) Bird when he taught at Cal Arts. He taught me that there are two types of story telling; action, and verbal. You have to make the right one for the right media. He was talking about the TV series A Family Dog based on the three short films he and Chris Buck made and that Tim Burton did character designs for, that showed as one episode of Steven Spielberg’s’ Amazing Stories. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6302089611/103-3693783-0163047?v=glance . He said the TV series, produced by Tim Burton and Spielberg would fail because the A Family Dog original films were action based movies, where the main character was essentially a mime- a mute dog who expressed himself with acting. It was very expensive, fully 2d, animated acting that made that episode so good.

Well you can do that kind of acting if you have a big budget, like a feature film has, but you can’t when you are doing limited, low budget animation. And this was the problem with the Family Dog TV Show, they couldn’t fully animate the Dog because they just didn’t have the money. Brad Bird’s point was if you are going to do a TV show or a low budget animated film, it has to be about the dialogue, not the acting or animation, because you just simply can’t afford to do it. Brad proved this with his work on The Simpsons and King of the Hill. Both have ‘so so’ art and ‘so so’ animation, though it is story boarded and written incredibly well (The Simpsons has never ‘jumped the shark’).

So this got me to thinking about adventure games. Are they acting based or dialogued based? And it seems very clear to me they are dialogues based, more than TV even. A typical movie has 2000 lines of dialogue at most, and a typical TV show maybe half that. But a typical Lucas Arts adventure games has 7,000-10,000 lines of dialogue! That is four to five times as many lines as a typical movie. So to me, after game design, dialogue is the most important thing for a comedy adventure game, not the animation. But we still have the task of animating at least one TV show’s worth of animation to go along with those 7000 lines (that is another story).

So they best way to make the dialogue in our game good is to have a team of good writers, scripters and story board artists. One man alone can’t write all those lines and make each one entertaining. Ok. So Tim Schaffer can (he proved it with Full Throttle and Grim Fandango). But most writing mortals, like me, can’t. So right now we are starting to write all those lines. We are then going to chuck them and start over to make them even better, and then throw most of those out and make them even better then those.

A typical script writer has three goals: disseminate the plot, develop the characters and make the dialogue entertaining. An adventure game writer has all those goals and one more: to give the player the information he/ she needs to play the game. I am confident we can tell a great story, give the player the game play information he/ she needs, and develop interesting characters. To me, making the lines entertaining is the hard part.

And what will allow us to do that, without wasting money, is creating the whole game in a rough 2d format using freeware, first, before production. We use temp art and animation, and just wire the puzzle together, so the whole thing works. And then we go to town writing the silliest and funniest stuff we can think of that fits into the story, fits with the characters and situations. Then we test it and do it all over again, until we think it is pretty damn funny and entertaining. It’s a great way to prototype the whole game before we do a lick of final art, music, sound recording or 3d programming. It allows us the freedom to be spontaneous and creative, and, the best part, it doesn’t come out of out our production budget.

We just started it so I can’t tell you if it is a success yet, but we did practically the same thing on Curse of Monkey Island, and it worked great there, so I am confident we can get a lot of positive stuff out of this prototyping stage.

I hope that explains our writing and design philosophy.

Thanks,
Bill Tiller

Posted By: MindBent

Re: Adventure Architect - 11/10/05 13:47

Quote:

Adventure Architect Series

Quote:

It’s probably the industry's best kept secret that many of the most entertaining new adventure games these days are being designed not by the major studios, but by amateurs—fans of the genre working alone or in small teams to do something that we’ve all wanted to do at one time or another: create our own adventure game. Beginning this month, I’ll be taking my first steps down that road as well. I’ll report on everything I learn along the way, from choosing a game engine and deciding on a story idea to writing the plot and, eventually, even beta testing and completion.

So true. Large Publishing houses are game-design's #1 enemy, in my opinion. The problem is, video games have become too much of an "industry". The creativity/originality has largely been sucked out of games and we see so many copy-cat, or what I call "me-too" games because the whole "business" side of the industry doesn't allow for creativity in most cases anymore. It's too risky to the bottom-line to be creative.

Think about it.. who were the companies to come along and introduce these new genres that were then copied and cashed-in on by the larger developers/publishers?

Well.. let's consider a few:

Tetris: developed by a single person. How many clones has it spawned?

MYST - originally developed by some guys working out of their garage. Again, how many derivatives of its style/gameplay do we *still* see come to market to this day?

Wolfenstein/DOOM/Quake - A little indie company formed by friends working at SoftDisk, called iD Software, developed this 2D side-scroller series (Commander Keen) and published it through Apogee Games (now 3DRealms). One day, its lead programmer, John Carmack, realized he could create a real-time "2.5-D" scanline rendering engine and subsequently went on to create an entire new genre. Eventually the 2.5D was escalated into full 3D. How many clones/derivatives of those games can you name since the original Wolfenstein?

So there you go... 3 hugely successful genres (though I wouldn't call Tetris a "genre") that were created by humble, little companies working with indie budgets - or less - that are now copied shamelessly by larger companies with budgets of millions more than their originators had... and they rarely ever even hold a candle to the original. To these companies, having a higher poly-count, or more DX9 eye-candy makes theirs "better".

This is why the older video games.. for early Arcade machines and consoles like the Atari 2600, Vectrex and such were so much more original.. they had to be to stand out.

What Does Game Industry have against Innovation? - 12/20/05 21:48

What Does the Game Industry have against Innovation?

Quote:

Schafer's not the only one comparing games to film. After leaving Vivendi Universal, Michael Pole joined up with former Electronic Arts Los Angeles executives Rick Giolito and Mark Skaggs to form Trilogy Studios. Where his previous position had him reluctantly nixing innovation as an exec at a worldwide publisher, Pole finds the shoe on the other foot now as CEO of a company making an episodic "first-person shooter/RPG combo" for PCs and next-gen systems.

Pole compares the current game industry landscape to that of the movie industry at the height of the studio system.

"They controlled the talent," Pole said of the movie studios. "They controlled the directors. Everybody was under contract, and for the longest time there seemed to be a stifling of creativity underneath that system. What the games industry is finding now is while you can amass an extraordinary collection of talent, extraordinary games are created within small teams. The best new intellectual properties are coming from independent--self-funded for the most part--studios."

Innovation: Does Size Really Matter? - 12/22/05 22:03

Innovation: Does Size Really Matter?

Quote:

"This is a fast-changing industry and what feels like a good innovation in one year, you'll often discover in year two [isn't]. What sounded like a brilliant plan, we either just can't pull off because we can't figure out how, or you'll pull it off exactly like you say but when you play it, it's just not fun," Garriott says. "And you don't know it until you're done with the creating process, which is again why it is so risky. And the reason most people avoid risky experiments is because it's common to get to the end of the experiment and then throw it away."

The problem is compounded when innovating because one man's fun can be another man's frustration, which brings the issue back to Castaway and the difficulty of appealing to the masses.

"In order to have a game be successful with the numbers that they need nowadays, you need a significant percentage [of customers] to like the title," Michael says. "And, unfortunately, some people find some kinds of breakfast cereals great and others not, but a general one that we can all agree on is oatmeal, which is one of the blandest of cereals."

When it gets right down to it, oatmeal sells, and everybody knows it. But Stefan sees the mindset that innovation is prone to failure as a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy.

A Chat with Independent Developers - 01/31/06 05:13

A Chat with Independent Developers

Quote:

Independent Developers. That small group of individuals with an idea to carve their own path and create games they would enjoy. Unique people with bold ideas and the drive to see them through. In the last few years, their numbers have grown from a few to dozens. It seems like every few days another one crops up with a new adventure game announcement. Many of them never seem to get beyond the announcement stage and simply fade away.

Over the last couple of years I've gotten to know several of them, and have played nearly all of their games - I even got to beta test some of them on occasion! Being able to talk one-on-one with someone whose creation kept you transfixed to your computer screen for hours, even days, is pretty rewarding. I can only compare it to being able to talk to your favorite musician whose music you escape into. I think that is one of the things that set these people apart - they are for the most part, approachable.

I realized that I had many of the same questions for each of them and thought, wouldn't it be interesting to get them all to answer those same questions at the same time? I sent out my emails pitching the idea and was overwhelmed by the response. I figured if I had 25% participation, I would be lucky. They are VERY busy individuals afterall. Net result was around 90% and a really HUGE interview!

The State of Adventure Gaming - February 2006

Quote:

On G4 TV, a group of well-known developers in a roundtable forum were asked by the host their opinions of the potential for the Xbox 360. One of them responded that it would allow him to blow things up in bigger and better ways. And we still wonder why the mainstream community looks upon gamers as idiots.

Articles for Independent Game Developers - 03/04/06 19:28

Articles for Independent Game Developers

Sales Statistics from an Indie

How Do You Get Your Game to Market?

The Big List of RPG Plots

Dictionary of RPG Cliches

How to Make a Game articles from PCZone - 03/20/06 02:44

How to Make a Game

Quote:

Is it still possible for a lone coder to write a game all on his own? DAN MARSHALL finds out…

Digital Adventuring - 03/26/06 19:41

Digital Adventuring

Quote:

Among videogame clichés, the supposed death of the adventure genre takes top honors. It's the one topic that just won't go away. And one has to wonder why that is. Maybe it's because the people asking the questions, namely industry journalists, grew up playing adventure games. Or maybe it's because certain famed developers, true rockstars back in the 80s and 90s, have virtually disappeared and people wonder where they went. Sure, they're not all gone. But it's not like they're still doing their thing, either.

So, why is it? And more importantly, will people ever stop asking? The answer, not so surprisingly, is no. The adventure genre hasn't died, nor will it ever die so long as gamers care about stories. Yes, the genre finds itself in a bit of a slump. In fact, it's been sitting in that slump for years now. But that hardly translates to the passing of an entire genre - one that birthed a slew of titles as seminal for the games industry as silent shorts were for Hollywood.

Designers on Interactive Narrative - 05/13/06 09:23

Designers on Interactive Narrative

Quote:

Games are a new, different type of narrative, one that inspires emotion and immersion in ways that no other medium can, and strong interactive stories can not emulate the tactics of film. This was the central theme of "Perfecting the Mix of Story, Character Development, and Interactivity," a panel session held this afternoon, on the second day of the E3 2006.

Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Designers on Interactive Narrative - 05/13/06 19:23

Nice find.

My interest:
Quote:

Cage wants to see games with deeper, more mature stories, with one aspect that games in general are missing: meaning ."In this industry there's a real lack of meaning in general," he said ."Most of the time it's a hero fighting against zombies and killing everyone to save his life or whatever. There are so many other great characters and emotions we can use to create an experience. We shouldn't limit ourselves to basic things."

Great example:
Quote:

he was developing a first-person shooter. And through the simple addition of adding a wedding ring to the character's hand, he said that the game's focus test players responded overwhelmingly, asking questions about the character's past and showing an active interest.

While I think, it is mainly the things and how they appear within a level, what evokes stories in the players mind.

The Basic Marketing Plan for Indie Games - 05/20/06 00:00

The Basic Marketing Plan for Indie Games

Quote:

Contents of a Marketing Plan

These sections of a marketing plan are listed below.

* Goals
* Distribution
* Product
* Promotion
* Website
* Demo
* Measurement
* Maintenance
* Refinement

Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: The Basic Marketing Plan for Indie Games - 05/20/06 20:54

Orange, thanks for this great thread and all the links, I am eating this stuff up!

The Indie Developer's Guide to Selling Games - 06/04/06 10:02

Interview with the author of The Indie Developer's Guide to Selling Games

Quote:

We recently had the pleasure to devour a book that should be must reading for every single independent developer in the adventure game community. Joseph Lieberman, the author, has collected his years of experience in the gaming industry to provide an outline describing how develop, market and publish your game from start to finish.

Rather than review the book - the title of which speaks for itself - we thought you might instead enjoy this interview with the author.

Going Commercial - 06/11/06 18:58

Going Commercial

Quote:

So you want to make a living as an adventure game developer? How do you do it? And since the adventure game market is so small, how will you ever make enough money? And what if nobody likes your game enough to buy it? So many questions! Well, it's time to find some answers.

In this essay I will look at the adventure games market in general, then look at some amateur games that tried to go commercial, and then see what we can learn.

7 Witty Tactics for Funding Your Game Production

Quote:

#1 - Competitions
#2 - Selling Stuff via CafePress
#3 - Selling eBooks
#4 - Selling Books (CafePress or Lulu.com)
#5 - Donations
#6 - Text Link Ads (I expect to get $100 this month, and within coming months I’m confident to see this figure go to $200 or more)
#7 - Google AdSense. (For this income stream, I also expect to get around $100 this month and estimating the figure to double in the coming months)

18 Approaches for Setting the Right Price for Your Game

Quote:

One of the main concerns for indie game producers is how to price the game. Simplest method would be to use the ‘magical’ $19.95 price for your game, but there are more approaches available. Selecting the right price for your product is one of the key decisions in selling. Common objectives for pricing can be profit maximization, or simply - survival.

No, Seriously... - 07/29/06 09:15

No, Seriously...

Quote:

Has the fun gone out of Adventure Games? Perhaps I'd better rephrase that. Has the sense of fun, the sense of playfulness, left the genre?

Tons of articles

Too many to list....have at it.

Adventure Game Interfaces

Quote:

0. Introduction
1. The genre of Adventure Gaming
1.1. Adventure Gaming explained
1.2. Adventure Gaming constructs
1.2.1 Adventure Gaming constructs-Actions
1.2.2 Adventure Gaming constructs-Events
1.2.3 Adventure Gaming constructs-Information as an Item
1.2.4 Adventure Gaming constructs-Conversation Trees
1.2.5 Adventure Gaming constructs-Further Abstractions
1.3. Adventure Game Interfaces
1.4. Analysis of Interfaces
1.5. General rules for Adventure Game Interfaces
1.6. Conclusion

Free Money

Quote:

Now I know there’s such thing as free money. And it’s called: Text Link Ads.

End User Agreement

Quote:

Fire your lawyer.

Where to Start?

Quote:

Good luck guys!

http://www.gameproducer.net/

Bookmark it...use it. Good stuff.
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: No, Seriously... - 07/30/06 04:00

The Adventure Games Interfaces article was very good. Bice links to free, classic adventure games as well.

Steps to success in creating an adventure game - 08/12/06 23:03

Steps to success in creating your own adventure game

Quote:

Suddenly and without warning, the seed of a new idea sprung to life in a simple post.

"We should make our own sequel."

A Vision for Adventure Games on Nintendo Wii

Quote:

It isn't a long stretch to think that the Wii can have the same magical effect on adventure games. Sure, if you were paying attention to the Duck Hunt example, it's obvious the Wii controller works great as a point-and-click device. Just point the controller where you want to click. For the first time ever, adventure games can be played on a console without the D-pad or analog stick controls disliked by so many adventure gamers. But that is just scratching the surface of what the Wii could do for adventure games.

Issues with the interactive entertainment industry - 08/20/06 10:02

My issues with the interactive entertainment industry...

Quote:

I've also been told by one developer, a guy who worked at Valve, that storyboarding simply isn't valid in their process of testing and testing over and over until the interactive direction works. I personally see this as arrogance - even in a 3D space, you're still working with a 2D screen. Someone who knows how to use compositional space to their advantage surely has more directorial nous and thus is capable of solving more visual narrative issues straight out when presented with such problems than a games tester. How much time did the testing process waste when someone could've been brought in with prior knowledge? Then again, competitor id Software actually went so far as to storyboard their Doom 3 opus from beginning to end as a movie. Whether they're more successful or not is up to you and largely down to the basis of each individual game's components.

But where does this arrogance stem from?

My issues with the interactive entertainment industry...Part 2

Quote:

If games are to truly compete with movies, the strange attitude to direction which seems to curse many productions needs to cease. Lately I found out that a major, major games company has assigned their sound designer for cutscene direction. As someone who works within direction... it makes you do a double take. The sound designer? If anything it sounds like cutting economic corners... professionally... but when you take into account that this is a AAA title that outright RELIES on cinematic direction and has a big grounding in storytelling, it does make you wonder what's going on.

Unfortunately companies see narrative as something to tack on. It's only very rarely that it's applied as part of the design document, but if you're creating a game with a narrative then automatically that becomes the backbone which drives the player through. If the narrative doesn't fit the picture, why bother? It will do your product a disservice.

Episodic Games: Future of Gaming or Broken Dream? - 08/26/06 01:07

Episodic Games: The Future of Gaming or a Broken Dream?

Quote:

Moving to a broadcast TV style business model, based largely on episodic game releases, will benefit not only games developers, but publishers, retailers, middleware and content providers.

The Death of Cinematics - 09/07/06 10:58

AGC: Ubisoft's Nolent Talks 'The Death Of Cinematics'

Quote:

...a trend toward fewer cinematics, and more scripted events. Nolent says Ubisoft is trying to get rid of cinematics entirely, but they do sometimes sneak back in when a map has to be scrapped or there's some other unexpected problem. Nolent expects to see more "playable cut scenes" or scripted events where the story moves ahead, but players still have opportunities for interaction.

Q&A: Introversion's Bedroom Programmer Survival Guide

Quote:

Introversion is an experiment: can three guys set up a successful game development and publishing company with nothing more than £200 and an awful lot of time and energy? Every analyst in the business would tell you it's not possible - but here were are, five years old, stronger than ever.

The State of Adventure Gaming - October 2006 - 10/05/06 04:19

The State of Adventure Gaming - October 2006

Quote:

I realize I’m preaching to the choir when I complain about the pc gaming magazines almost totally ignoring the adventure genre. Of course, said employees at the magazines like to write me and inform me as to what a silly fool I am (although ‘fool’ is not the word they usually use).

What has happened all too often in the past, is that my complaint about a review that, rather than evaluating the game instead proceeds to bash the entire genre, elicits a response that, “Well, if you’re defending (insert name of game here), then no wonder the genre is in trouble.” What they didn’t, no what they refused to understand, is that it is not any specific game I am defending, but the genre as a whole. So imagine my surprise, nay my unbridled glee, to discover that PC Gamer seems to have undergone an adventure game epiphany.

The past few months have featured articles on independent developers such as The Silver Lining team, the Sam n Max resurrection and numerous reviews of adventure games that actually review the game and not the entire genre. New adventure game reviewer Logan Decker – along with Chuck Osborn - seem to actually appreciate the genre and their recent adventure game reviews, both positive and negative, are as fair and balanced as any that have ever ever appeared in PC Gamer.

The credit for this startling change can surely be attributed to new Editor-in-Chief Greg Vederman - aka The Vede - whom I initially incorrectly pegged as just another in a long line of action-loving, adventure-hating editors. Thanks Vede, for proving me wrong.

Quote:

They Also Voted Sam n Max as the Best Sports Game

Adventure gamers are eagerly awaiting Just Cause from Eidos. With over 250,000 acres to explore, 303 missions to accomplish, 89 vehicles to command and 32 stunts to master to ignite a revolution, this is one game that is a must have in the adventure community. What? You didn’t hear? As Eidos is proudly proclaiming in its marketing campaign, Team Xbox.com named Just Cause as the ‘Best Adventure of E3 2006’.

Screen/Play: Technical Narrative Design

Quote:

When you write dialogue, or story materials for a game, you make an effort to write content that's entertaining and well-written. The last thing you want to do is bore your audience by listing facts in a clumsy exposition sequence.

However, when documenting the story content for your game, the reverse is often true. Of course, you still don't want to bore your audience (your fellow game developers). However, the best way to keep your writing from becoming tedious is to stifle your creative urges, and instead approach story documentation as a form of technical writing.

Where's Our Merchant Ivory?

Quote:

Like comic books, games have no élite form or widely-venerated body of work yet. We produce light popular entertainment, and light popular entertainment is trivial, disposable, and therefore culturally insignificant, at least so far as podunk city councilors and ill-advised state legislators are concerned. They feel no reason not to censor games, because games have no constituency that matters and no history as important forms of expression.

Now I know from long experience that a certain percentage of you are making derisive snorts of contempt because you personally care nothing for high culture and see no reason why anyone else would either. But even if you don’t like it, you still need it. And before yet another idiot pipes up with Standard Asinine Comment #1 (“but FUN is the only thing that matters!”), let me just say: No, it's not. Shut up and grow up. Our overemphasis on fun—kiddie-style, wheeee-type fun—is part of the reason we’re in this mess in the first place. To merely be fun is to be unimportant, irrelevant, and therefore vulnerable.

The serious games movement will help a little with this problem because serious games aren’t just for fun, but by itself that’s not enough. People write comic books to help teach kids about fire prevention and healthcare, but that doesn’t change the perception that comics are for kids. Serious games that seem unrelated to games for entertainment won’t do much for entertainment itself.

Elite forms of a medium help to legitimize that medium. They provide status symbols that people who want to be thought of as important and respectable can support. That’s why big corporations and wealthy families give money to ballet companies and symphony orchestras: Publicly sponsoring the elite forms of these arts reflects well on the givers. The élite forms also create shelter in which the less “worthy” forms of the medium can operate more safely. Once an élite form of video games exists, nobody can ever again say, “video games are just a silly waste of time.” Nobody would dream of saying that about music, even if they thought it was true of bubble-gum pop.

Revenge of the High Brow Games

Quote:

We can dismiss the more stupid responses pretty quickly. As I predicted, there was a fair bit of reverse snobbery (“I’m proud that I don’t like literature or classical music, and video games should never be for anybody but people like me”) as well as some regular snobbery (“Merchant Ivory films are powdered-wig costume dramas for middle-class faux intellectuals”). Actually, most Merchant Ivory films are about post-colonial India, not noted for its powdered wigs. Both attitudes are ignorant and tiresome.

Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/01/06 22:58

Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction?

Quote:

Despite all of the graphical advances, increasingly life-like CG in games has also brought with it some surprising realizations.

The most troubling of these is 'The Uncanny Valley', or the sharp drop in emotional response from an audience as character subtleties and likenesses improve. As is the case with characters in many current Xbox 360 games, our attraction has turned to revulsion. We get creeped out. Is this the result of all our time, money, and hard work? All the per-pixel lighting, dynamic shadows, normal maps, and motion capture of Madden '07 has actually degraded the emotional connection players had with previous versions of the game -- 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

In the quest for this immersive photo-real environment, creativity has died on the operating table. Given all these fantastic tools, the best we can do is attempt to duplicate our own environment on the same regurgitated topics and themes. In an interview with Tomek Bagiñski on his recent CG film 'Fallen Art,' Tomek states that he doesn't see any reason to do photo-real 3d graphics unless you are working for the SFX film industry. His reasoning is that stylized art is far more interesting to look at than just another attempt at reality. The photo-real painting movement ended after a brief period in the late 1960's for exactly the same reason - it was boring to look at. Guess what? So are the majority of today's video games.

Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/02/06 01:09

Quote:

In the quest for this immersive photo-real environment, creativity has died on the operating table. Given all these fantastic tools, the best we can do is attempt to duplicate our own environment on the same regurgitated topics and themes. In an interview with Tomek Bagiñski on his recent CG film 'Fallen Art,' Tomek states that he doesn't see any reason to do photo-real 3d graphics unless you are working for the SFX film industry. His reasoning is that stylized art is far more interesting to look at than just another attempt at reality. The photo-real painting movement ended after a brief period in the late 1960's for exactly the same reason - it was boring to look at. Guess what? So are the majority of today's video games.

Everyone should check out his Fallen Art movie by the way, it's totally awesome!

As for the topic, I don't think we've reached the realism limit just yet, however I do think non 100% realistic art looks way more interesting, so yes they probably have a point hehehehe.

Cheers

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/02/06 04:17

Quote:

The most troubling of these is 'The Uncanny Valley', or the sharp drop in emotional response from an audience as character subtleties and likenesses improve.

Well this is dumb, who thought this up, somebody who never cried at a movie?

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/02/06 04:25

If you take that line out of context then I suppose it doesn't make sense. However, if you include the rest of the paragraph it does(which is why you don't isolate lines like that). It's the Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within syndrome. The more realistic they try to make it, the more people will scrutinize it since it isn't quite right; thus the "revulsion." It's a subconscious trick and one is more likely to have a more emotional response to something that isn't quite as creepy(more removed from reality).

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/02/06 18:01

I assume this quote however was relating also to the topic of photorealism in games, why else would it be quoted here?

Just because someone gets creeped out by realistic graphics doesnt have much to do with whether or not games should strive for photo realism (of course they must).
Posted By: cartoon_baboon

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/02/06 20:34

I personally am also more drawn more to the somewhat outdated still somewhat blocky looking games. These actually seem to be more emersive - to me at least than most of the newer games.

Quote:

The more realistic they try to make it, the more people will scrutinize it since it isn't quite right

This definitely seems true. I found myself getting incredibly irritated by Oblivion (graphically speaking) because I kept noticing things that "weren't quite right" where as I ended up completely immersed in games like Castelvania for the N64.
Posted By: eleroux

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/02/06 21:45

A polemic topic indeed. Mostly, driven by personal interests and subjective points of view.

Those who are wanting and even working for improving photorealism in games of course will be biased to think this is all bullshutt. Other people who have no access to producing photorealistic content will trend to say photorealism is crap.

I don't want to post my opinion in such complex things. I'd only say that Morrowind was lacking some features, like freedom of gameplay. Instead, they added more photorealism in Oblivion. Gameplay features still short. Somehow, photorealism makes some animations like jumping and crawling look like kraps in oblivion. Anyway, the fact is that I quit playing oblivion BEFORE ending the game. It didn't manage to keep me into the story.

Of course that is my personal opinion only, but I do think that, with or without photorealism, game designers are forgetting some things that seem to be far more important. The action, the story, what happens during the game, what happens with the characters: these will be always the priority facts for a game, as they will with any film despite special effects and production budget. If photorealism will or won't do any good, it solely depends if it contributes or distracts from the story essence and lifespan.

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/02/06 21:56

I loved Oblivion, but its far form "photo-realistic", for such graphics we still have many years to go. Maybe in 20 years photorealism in everything aspect will be possible in realtime.

Greats strides have been made in increasing realism in graphics. Remeber that the older primitive graphics were a product of tehcnology, just as modern graphics are. Contrived "styles" or non-photorealsim tend to be gimmicky and not lasting, even if visually interesting.

IN otehr words, if you want to make a cartoon game, make a cartoon game with goofy looking models, not rely on "cell_shading", because the original hand-painted cell animation was also of product of technique, the efficiency of painting frames with simple colors and no modelling of tones. Its not an end in and of itself.

Poeple often confuse technique with art. Just as digital photography is now very much accpeted over film photography, the art is not the technique or technology.

Each method, medium or technique has its unqie characters, but these characters in themselves are incedental, and the idiosyncracies of technique tend to attract only the less orginal creators.

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/02/06 23:58

There's plenty of room for both stylized and realistic games. I think there is a slow buildup of a backlash against the realistic stuff(thus this opinion piece and others), but it's not going to overtake the industry in regards to sales unless some kind of bizarre trend or transformation occurs. I think the writing will pick up on the realistic side. Something has to occur beyond just the visual. Gamers will eventually tire of titles just getting more and more realistic and cookiecutter. The rest of the game has to evolve, too.

The recent release Okami is one of the most unusual games to come out in a long time and is getting critical acclaim and a overwhelmingly positive response from gamers. I think it's one of the few stylized titles that surpasses the "gimmick" label given this style is more than just the visual. Its painterly style also finds its way into the gameplay via the painting brush mechanic. You're not only playing inside of a painting but painting to proceed. It's also a solid game, though and more than just pretty pictures. It's fun to play, immersing, and a huge game.

I think with the success(or at least the introduction and response) of Okami and some of the other non-traditional games coming(and that have already come and gone like Shadow of the Colossus and Psychonauts) that we'll start to see more variety as the realistic side of the industry becomes more saturated. There are too many game designers wanting to try something different(sales or no sales); thus like in painting or filmmaking, more daring and different works are going to emerge.

Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/03/06 19:51

I didn't read the stuff before, but my optinion is:

A GAME HAS TO LOOK LIKE A GAME.

What means, not too realistic.
I find Dreamcast, N64 or Gamecube Graphics most attractive.
Posted By: Ichiro

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/03/06 20:05

Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction?

I think that photorealism isn't viable for a small studio like ours, and I'm betting our next title on it. Here's my reasoning for going in the opposite direction:

1. We can't compete on the same footing: The budget for our next title is under $100,000, compared to even the "meager" $10 million that Gears of War received.

2. There are alternatives: Other visual aesthetics are available to us, many of which aren't being investigated by larger studios. Surrealism is one example. Cartoon rendering, less so (as many titles rely on this aesthetic).

3. Some alternatives are viable: The demoscene has produced brilliant, eye-catching displays for years, using small teams. Half Life 2 had "wow" factor, such that experiencing a new vista was, in and of itself, a reward. Watching some of these demoscene productions brings about the same feeling. I think it's that "wow" factor -- not the aesthetic, itself -- that people are looking for.

We'll see in 2007 if I'm right, or if I'm living in a cardboard box. :)

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/03/06 22:46

Quote:

A GAME HAS TO LOOK LIKE A GAME.

Why is that? A game can look however you want.. this is a silly comment.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/04/06 00:06

A Game needs to play like a game,
because thats the point of a game (not some Techdemo)

The gameplay is important,
so the grafix should fit the gameplay.
(like: First person adventure in a "realistic" enviorment ->
photorealistic grafix are good)
In contrast: A sylized strategic economics game:
more simple, and symbolic grafix are enough)
Posted By: MadMark

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/04/06 05:18

I think that the question itself, and none of the answers provided, is wrong.

Today, it is more than the eye-candy that makes a game immersive, interesting and attractive. There is more and more focus placed on other areas to deliver the target for any good story, game, or movie.

I consider the suspension of disbelief to be the most imporant factor.

Graphics are a portion of the disbelief equation, and often the first item that gets noticed, but they are not the complete answer. Physics is being adopted in many shapes and forms, from collision detection and reactive materials, to ragdoll and blended animations. As techniques in these areas are refined and improved, so will their ability to immerse the player into the plot and aid in suspending belief. Storylines themsleves are important, and the most often poorly planned and executed portion of a game. Sure, it's fun to blast away at blocky Doom models, and to WoW at the latest ultar-uber-shaded water droplet animation, but that is a distraction from why we paid to come to the circus. Innovative UI's are another area that impacts the suspension of disbelief. If it's in the way, feels un-natural, or just detracts from the feeling of "being there", it can change an otherwise great experience into disappointment.

Character interaction is also pivotal. How many times are you going to visit an NPC player to chat if all he can say is "Wha?" "Job's Done." "Okay." Now if that same NPC could actually conjugate a verb, pick out keywords, reply with useful information, now that is interesting. Wonder what he will say next time when you mention the cloak of hiding that you noticed over in house #2...

Is photo-realism the right direction for games? Yes, for some. Is planning, testing and implementation towards suspension of disbelief the right direction? Almost always.

Just my 2¢.
You are now returned to your regular chaos and mayhem. Proceed.
Mark

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/04/06 17:12

Quote:

I think it's that "wow" factor -- not the aesthetic, itself -- that people are looking for.

Yes, but somehow practically all of the demoscene demos have this wow factor. It's because they use their (artistic) creativity in the right places to create a real style. Every game should have a style, there are lot's and lot's of games that lack style all together. -Not saying getting a style just right is easy, but looking at the demoscene, even small (one man) teams should be able to achieve a style with a wow factor.-

Cheers
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/05/06 09:30

The market for computer and video games gets more and more saturated. Because of that there is no question that a game must have both: attractive visuals and attractive game-play. Photo-realism helps with the visual part.

It can be another style for sure. But look at the sales in the last years. Good games with style and game-play (like Outcast, Beyond Good and Evil) that differ in it's style do not have best sales. Mainstream realistic looks that approximates photo-realism sell better.
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: Is Photorealism in Games the Right Direction? - 11/09/06 12:30

There are some exceptions

let's wait Zelda Twilight princess on WII with the characters with some manga
style : not photorealism and sure it will sell like hell

Is Flash the Future of the Adventure Game? - 11/11/06 09:22

Is Flash the Future of the Adventure Game?

Quote:

Adventure game fans, on the other hand, have adapted to pretty much every gaming system that has come along. Why is the adventure game so adaptable? In part, because it has to be to survive, but also because it's based on a very simple, yet powerful idea. It's a treasure hunt. It's an irresistible (well, to fans at least) combination of story and puzzle-solving. Of course, the FPS is based on an even simpler concept kill everything in sight. But the FPS depends on great visuals. It's difficult to shoot something you can't see.

The Gamasutra Quantum Leap Awards: Storytelling

Quote:

In October 2006, the editors of Gamasutra asked its readership of game industry professionals to chime in and vote for which game brought storytelling forward in the biggest way, from any genre (text adventure through action title to RPG or sim and beyond), and from the early days of video gaming right through to the present day. We were looking for any game which in some way moved, astounded, or engrossed the player through its plot and the way the game evolves through it - and has specifically advanced game storytelling in the largest way. Specifically, we asked:

"Which video game has made the biggest 'quantum leap' in terms of storytelling, and why?"

On the following pages, we'll first present the "honorable mentions" - games that, while certainly innovative and important, did not receive enough votes to make it into the top echelon.

Following this, we'll present the top five best storytellers voted for by our readers, in reverse order, ending with the overall recipient of Gamasutra's third Quantum Leap Award, which received the largest amount of votes from game professionals.

Quote:

Honorable Mentions:
The Sims
System Shock(Series)
Marathon
Baldur's Gate 2
Jade Empire
Gabriel Knight(Series)
A Mind Forever Voyaging
Zelda II
Xenogears
Torment
Fallout
Façade
Dreamfall
Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy

#5. Grim Fandango
#4. Starcraft
#3. Final Fantasy VII
#2. Half-Life
#1. Deux Ex

Posted By: JamesA

Re: Is Flash the Future of the Adventure Game? - 12/03/06 16:30

No one has mentioned graphic novels (I think), style here mainly stuck from printing processes.
Graphic Novels spanning the globe, touch on serious to more comical subjects.

They are often in the line style.
So what better idea to have especially for small companies making games to be able to adopt a style not quite so realistic if they want to.
While the timescales and budget may not be there to implement the latest HDR etc etc, a good adventure game on a budget surely could rely on good 3D level design while at the same time less cutting edge technology, which doesnt mean compromising on the artistic credebility?

I am starting out on an a 3D adventure game, depending on if I can push it towards a full game or just another walkaround tech demo. It will be in the style I want.

I agree the latest wow stuff can look good but a workaround for smaller companies or even individuals making an adventure game surely need not put them off from making something they want to and that will be profitble enough for them?......

Comics are a good example of this.....I would recomend the books by Scott Mac Cloud if not read already.....a lot in his books can be applied to all forms of creative story telling work including games I beleive....
Posted By: MadMark

Re: Is Flash the Future of the Adventure Game? - 12/08/06 21:47

Orange Brat: Do you actually READ all of these articles? Where do you get all of the time? And does your employer know?!! (Writing this from work on my delayed lunch break as I clean up my desk to go home!)

Good articles, keep 'em coming!

Cheers!
Mark

Game Quest book review - 12/08/06 21:50

I've read them all, and I post the ones that most suit the thread when I come across them. A lot of them come from dedicated adventure site links, and I've been finding some on Gamasutra now and again. I try to keep it adventure related, but some feature crossover.

Game Quest book review

Quote:

Game Quest follows the doomed final years of Madre Entertainment, a homegrown software company nestled in the Sierra Madre mountains. The discerning adventure gamer will recognize dozens of links between the fictional Madre and real life Sierra.

Re: Game Quest book review - 12/10/06 21:17

Aaw man, I'm getting emotional lol ... Sierra used to be great when it comes to adventure games, infact they invented it more or less. But that reminds me off Lucasarts golden years too.

Damn! I want Fullthrottle 2 !! (the new Sam & Max game is pretty okey by the way! )

Cheers
Posted By: PrenceOfDarkness

Re: The Fear Factor: Horror Game Design 101 - 12/20/06 08:19

some of the best articals i've ever read, thank u!

Nintendo Wii/DS and Adventure Games - 02/14/07 13:58

Can Nintendo Breathe New Life into Adventure Games?

Quote:

Despite this seemingly hostile climate, there is a ray of hope. A rapidly growing movement - plainly visible on sites like Adventure Gamers and in the sales figures of games like Phoenix Wright - is throwing their support behind Nintendo to get the ball back into the adventure gamer’s court.

How to Get Unstuck in an Adventure Game

Quote:

Adventure games at their best, and even sometimes at their worst, are the closest thing we have to virtual reality. You can truly feel like you’ve entered another world, and that your actions there have consequences. The trouble is, the more imbedded in the game world you get, the more of a jolt it is when you get stuck and all comes crashing to a stop. A walkthrough will get you going again, but by then, it seems to me, the illusion is broken. It’s no longer adventurous when you know what’s coming.

Grim Fandango Marathon - 02/22/07 02:12

Grim Fandango marathon

This is a 15-part video series. Watch one of the most well designed and best games ever made played from beginning to end.

On a side note, the way the eyes/mouth/jaw are done is the technique that will be used in my own title.

Re: Grim Fandango Marathon - 02/22/07 02:19

Lol, omg the walking sticks I remember, so awesome .. Thanks for the link man,

Cheers

The Power of the Press - 03/01/07 07:09

The Power of the Press

Quote:

Sadly, the power of the gaming press is not always so illusory. The "Death of Adventure Games" mantra gained wide currency amongst reviewers for many of the multi-genre gaming magazines and websites, and is still trotted out occasionally by the ill-informed. How much influence this pronouncement has had on publishers is, perhaps, debatable, but it is no thanks to such reviews that adventures are still being made.

Quote:

It's the gameplay elements of each genre that appeals to the players and brings them back for more. These gameplay elements then 'define' the genre. Therefore it is important that the reviewer has played sufficient games of a particular type in order to write about them in a knowledgeable way. Conversely, it's not possible to fairly review a game unless you are familiar with the genre or game type to which it belongs.

This underlines the importance of the reviewer being someone who understands and likes the genre and wants to see the quality continue to improve. Unfortunately, too many of the reviews of adventure games in magazines and on multi-genre sites are written by those who actively dislike the genre and are openly hostile or ambivalent towards it. Often such reviews fail to critique adventure games for what they are, but rather criticise them for what they are not (eg other genres, as in "this game is boring it has no fighting in it"). Such generally destructive reviews serve no useful purpose as they mainly focus on the perceived shortcomings of the genre rather than the merits of the particular game under review. It's the equivalent of saying "This genre sux".

John Green Art - 04/03/07 17:12

John Green Art: Technique Behind Nearly Departed

Quote:

John Green, creator of the Lassie game Nearly Departed, has been receiving international attention for his revival of the classic adventure game in full 2D glory. Much praise and discussion has been devoted to exceptional art style, which has become his trademark. So, this month I asked John for an interview to get some insight on his artistic process. He was kind enough to give us some answers and provide some process illustrations of how his work develops. Thanks John!

Mythology and Game Design

Grumpy Gamer and Maniac Mansion - 04/14/07 00:33

Grumpy Gamer reminisces about Maniac Mansion.

Quote:

David Fox forwarded me a link to Maniac Mansion being played through in nine minutes. This is about 2 hours and 27 minutes faster than I could do it.

I found it fascinating to watch this video. It's was like thumbing through an old family album of childhood photos. Memories long forgotten are jarred to the surface by the smallest of details. An old and forgotten toy. The front grill of your fathers car. Things you could never have remembered if you tried become so clear they could have happened yesterday.

Interview with writer Lee Sheldon

Quote:

Lee Sheldon is an award winning writer and a triple threat in the truest sense. His past and current works span across television, books, and video games. As a scriptwriter, his television credits include (amongst others) Charlie’s Angels, Quincy, Cagney & Lacey, Edge of Night, Snoops, Another World, and even Star Trek: The Next Generation. As a book author, his works include the fiction novel Impossible Bliss and the reference text Character Development and Storytelling for Games that is part of the Course PTR Game Development Series. As a game designer, however, Sheldon is best known to adventure fans for his works in Ripley’s Believe it or Not!: The Riddle of Master Lu, Dark Side of the Moon, Wild Wild West: The Steel Assassin, Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, and many others.

Most recently, Sheldon has been recruited by The Adventure Company to design an adventure game series based on the licensed works of Agatha Christie. Today, the games Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None and Agatha Christie: Murder on the Orient Express have been published and are well received by both fans and critics. We are extremely privileged to have the opportunity to interview this media legend. In the interview, Sheldon speaks of his works in television, his philosophy in game design, the challenges of adapting the Agatha Christie novels into adventure games, his other current projects, and what holds for him in the future.

Interview with Al Lowe

Quote:

We had the great opportunity to talk to Al Lowe, the father of Leisure Suit Larry and Freddy Pharkas - if you've ever laughed when playing a computer game, chances are good, the game was made by him.

Adventure Architect Series 2: Part 1 - 05/16/07 15:34

Adventure Architect Series 2: Part 1

Quote:

I have started a brand new project: a twisted fantasy adventure called Chivalry is Not Dead.

This series of articles will serve as a chronicle of my quest in developing Chivalry, taking you behind the scenes of its design, production, and eventually, testing and release. If you yourself are at all involved or hoping to be involved with amateur adventure development, I hope you'll find something of use in my methods; otherwise, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

Okay So Far

Quote:

With the first Half-life game there was already a sense of humor. With Half-life 2 they have reached back to the adventure games and put much more emphasis on story. It has believable dialogue and an engaging plot. It’s still a shooter but it’s a start. Keeping the action going and unfolding a well-constructed story at the same time is no mean feat with a user running around loose in there.

Re: Adventure Architect Series 2: Part 1 - 05/16/07 16:57

Quote:

Naivety is the key. It’s like a fountain of youth. It’s what keeps you open to pursue something out of pure curiosity to find the magic in something new.

As strange as it may sound I don’t believe naivety is exclusively the domain of the uninitiated. In the same way that any skill can be cultivated I believe that this way of looking at the work can be enhanced. I believe it’s at the hart of creativity and invention.

Thank you for the link Orange Brat!

Re: Adventure Architect Series 2: Part 1 - 05/17/07 09:00

No problem. I think the original Adv. Architectc series is still going to continue along with this new one. The guy who is developing that title took a couple years off because of his job, but he's started up production again and mentioned a pending entry of the article. Here's the game's site. The character sprites have been updated since he re-started. They're a bit more animeish or stylized might be a better word:

http://rattlesnakejake.com/

Jane Jensen interview - 05/18/07 10:06

Jane Jensen interview

Quote:

Today's Playing Catch-Up, a weekly column that dares to speak to notable video game industry figures about their celebrated pasts and promising futures, speaks to Jane Jensen, creator and designer of Sierra’s Gabriel Knight series of adventure games, and co-founder of casual games publisher Oberon.

Will Binder interview

Quote:

As the creative figure in the director’s chair for the groundbreaking adventure Gabriel Knight II (also known as The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery), Will Binder is the unequivocal master of game directing. His credits in Hollywood include work on “Scent of a Woman” and “Greedy”. Co-working with game designer Jane Jensen and directing the talents of Dean Ericksen, Joanne Takahashi, and the remaining cast of Gabriel Knight II, Binder has shown a remarkable ability to create exactly the right ambience for this much loved game. At the heart of his directing lies the same love of a great story that typifies the storyteller, and that is perhaps how we can best understand Binder—as a storyteller whose words are painted in the visual canvas. We are honoured to have the opportunity to interview him. In this interview, we discuss with him the technical behind the scenes magic of Gabriel Knight II, learn that he is also a gifted oil painter, and discover some exclusive snippets about his future scripts and projects.

Why Writing in Games Matters - Part 1

Quote:

This scene sent chills down my spine. The human race has become a collection of cattle, shoved into the ghettos to be controlled and handled. It was a terrifying portrait of lost humanity; we didn't even have the ability to create new life. That chill I felt wasn't created by the graphics: the writing did it.

Half-Life 2 is loaded with powerful moments like this, and the writing worked with the technology to make the game a modern classic. Bad writing could have turned the same game into a B-novel of the ripest variety. But the very success of the game points up the weakness of game writing in general, and it begs the question: why don't we have more examples of scenes like this? What, exactly, is the problem?

Why Writing in Games Matters - Part 2

Quote:

Great writing comes from converting the energy of experience into product, and there is far more vitality in scouring the world at large for source than relying on someone else's pre-chewed, pre-digested output. Creating an open experience, a fully interactive and enriched game experience, is new and scarcely-plundered territory for gamers, but we need to pursue it in order to avoid the mainstream Michael Bay effect that diminishes story as productions chase the wallets of the lowest common denominator.

Ian's piece is certainly an interesting look at what an industry veteran thinks about how to improve the writing in games. One thing everyone agrees on is that this isn't easy to do, and will mostly likely be a gradual process as people work through the problems, both financial and creative, to making gaming an art form with story and characters just as good as those in movies, television, or even novels.

Next week we'll hear from someone who makes her living writing games and deals with these problems every day. Stay tuned.

Adventure Architect Series 2: Part 2 - 06/02/07 23:50

Adventure Architect Series 2: Part 2

Quote:

The way in which I like to approach the adventure game is as an interactive story; as such, the very first thing I focus on when creating a game is the story it will tell. But I feel that it isn't enough to make up a story solely for the sake of justifying the gameplay that emerges from it. While doing so in and of itself is certainly a lofty goal to strive for, it does tend to make for a shallow and formulaic end product. For a story to truly stand out as a meaningful work of art, it must convey a purpose and make some sort of statement about the world. Hence, this next article in the series will focus on the process of coming up with such a story.

Why Writing in Games Matters - Part 3

Quote:

The PS3 is $500 to $600. The 360 is $300 to $400. A good gaming PC can cost in the thousands. What we are we paying for? The more games I play these days, the more I see that many of the "next-gen" games are simply prettier versions of games we've already played. We're paying for more lines of resolution and audio that comes at us through more speakers. When we're able to put a human-looking character on the screen and make him or her look and act like an actual person, that presents a problem. What do we want that person to do? What do we want them to say?

Back when games featured a few colors and some simple sprites, we didn't need these characters to do much. Swing on that vine. Eat that mushroom. Asking how or why someone did something in a game is silly and rarely asked. Now we have the tools to make something that has special effects comparable to what we see at the movies, and we give control of this world over to a player who is going to wonder very quickly why he or she should care about what's going on when a button is pressed. The technology may be getting better, but the quality of the stories generally isn't.

The 11 Worst Trends in Video Games (2007 Edition)

Quote:

So why do trends exist? Because they are familiar, they enable standards, and they just make life easier. In the case of video games, trends help companies maximize sales while reducing costs because gamers will purchase what they are accustomed to. But easier isn't always better. Here are eleven reasons why...

The Everyman and the Action Hero: Building a Better Player Character - this is a long article and I totally disagree with everything this clown asserts

Quote:

I’ve always enjoyed holding forth about how many limitations there are for stories in video games. Often to an audience of non-gamer friends, I’ll start by pointing out what you can’t do in a game with regards to the story. Most of it has to do with the protagonist. Because the hero is the player character, you can’t make that hero anything the player might balk at playing. For this reason, many of the most awesome main characters from film, fiction, and television don’t really work so well as a main game character.

For example, take Oedipus or Clytemnestra: the emotions that might make you gouge your own eyes out or stab your husband to death are one thing to witness, and another to do, even fictionally, even by proxy. Even Achilles doesn’t really fit the bill. There’s nothing wrong with being the world’s greatest warrior, but sitting and sulking in your tent – over some slave girl? Let’s say you begin the plot immediately after all the pouting – it’s still going to sit wrong. “Wait, why was I mad? Why was I being such an idiot? And now I’m suddenly supposed to be all mad about this friend who went and got himself killed?”

There’s no need to resort to antiquity, either. Add to the list Thelma and Louise, Travis Bickle, Holden Caulfield, Amelie, even good old Hamlet. What makes every one of these characters memorable depends on a key moment or characteristic that the player would resist and resent as an imposition on his free will.

Rand Miller Interview

Quote:

Just Adventure staff writer Bob Washburne recently had the pleasure to conduct a telephone interview with Myst creator Rand Miller to discuss the past, present and future of Myst Online: Uru Live which is featured exclusively on GameTap.

We thought that our readers would like to listen to the actual interview and hear Rand Miller for themselves, so we are offering the opportunity to either read a written transcript of the interview or, to download and listen to an MP3 file of the interview.

Whichever you choose, we hope you enjoy this unique opportunity to spend some time with one of the gaming industry’s most influential developers and an icon in the adventure community.

Façade

The trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GmuLV9eMTkg

Quote:

Façade is a prototype of interactive drama, a new genre of character and story-intensive interactive entertainment. Façade is freely downloadable at interactivestory.net. In Façade, you, the player, using your own name and gender, play the character of a longtime friend of Grace and Trip, an attractive and materially successful couple in their early thirties. During an evening get-together at their apartment that quickly turns ugly, you become entangled in the high-conflict dissolution of Grace and Trip’s marriage. No one is safe as the accusations fly, sides are taken and irreversible decisions are forced to be made. By the end of this intense one-act play you will have changed the course of Grace and Trip’s lives – motivating you to re-play the drama to find out how your interaction could make things turn out differently the next time.

Re: Adventure Architect Series 2: Part 2 - 06/03/07 08:36

Façade

Wow, a "Who is afraid of Virginia Woolf?" as a game.

Will definitely try it!

The Escapist Issue 107 - 07/29/07 05:48

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/features/issue/107

Quote:

The movies were originally black and white, and the method of lighting these films relied heavily on shadow to create mood. The subject matter is also dark, as are the heroes. Noir as an English adjective means all of this and more; a small word with many meanings. We call films that reflect the noir hallmarks "noir" to identify them. We call heroes with a checkered past "noir." We call movies, even if brightly lit, and in color, "noir," if they strike us a certain way.

This week, The Escapist tackles the subject of noir games. What are they, and why? It's Issue 107, "Dark and Stormy Night." Now get out of here kid, you bother me.

Adventure Architect Series 2: Part 3

Quote:

In my previous Adventure Architect installment, I mentioned interactive storytelling as my primary approach in the creation of an adventure game. I also emphasized how important a role the story plays in such a game, and how all other things must be subservient to it. This time around, however, I am going to be placing my emphasis on the word "interactive" in interactive storytelling, which is of equally paramount importance. After all, without interactivity, I wouldn't be creating a game so much as I would be creating a machinima movie.

Adventure Architect #2: Part 4 - 09/25/07 01:25

Adventure Architect #2: Chivalry is Not Dead, Part 4

Quote:

Sadly, in many adventures, character interaction has presented itself as extra window dressing rather than as a primary gameplay element. At most, it is useful in the way that talking to a character sometimes provides clues as to how to solve a puzzle; other times, it is simply a fun little diversion and nothing more. Save for a relatively minute handful of exceptions, what you say or do to characters has no significant effect on the game itself — if you make someone angry by choosing one dialogue option, it is virtually forgotten by the time you go back and choose a different one. Although a mixture of clever writing and careful limiting of possible choices can effectively maintain the player's suspension of disbelief in this regard, it still begs the question as to what an adventure game would be like if non-player characters did remember how the player treated them. This is a question I plan to explore at length throughout the making of Chivalry is Not Dead.

Staying Motivated

Quote:

Whether your chosen medium is pictures or language, food or formulas, everyone has the capacity to be creative in their work. But we can often lose our motivation to create, making it difficult to stay focused and excited on a project. So how does one keep their creative well from drying up?

The Arc

Quote:

In our weekly game design column, Activision's James Portnow discusses the many different kinds of arcs in games, and how they can serve as a means of keeping a player invested in a game.

Grossman, Gilbert, Fox Talk Modern-Day Storytelling

Quote:

At the 'Once Upon a Time… Storytelling in Games Today' panel at this year's Penny Arcade Expo,
Sam & Max developer Dave Grossman, former LucasArts creator Ron Gilbert and Nate Fox from Sucker Punch (Sly Cooper) talked at length about linearity, choice, death, and tragedy in modern games.

Game Stories Shouldn't Be More Complex

Quote:

Videogames shouldn’t try and develop more complex stories, because designers haven’t found a way to make it work well enough, according to two of the industry’s longest-serving storytellers.

Once Upon a Time

Quote:

Activision’s James Portnow analyzes the various methods of penning stories for games…

Tracking Player Feedback to Improve Game Design

Quote:

This article is about creating a window into player activities by using passive tracking systems to measure and improve the player experience.

Why Adventure Games?

Quote:

My introduction to adventure games may be unique or it may not, but it's my story. There are probably as many stories of how this genre entered into someone's life as there are adventure gamers. So what draws someone to this genre and why do they stay?

For me, there are a few things, and they continue to affect the games I choose to play. The primary reason is the idea of escape. That is the original reason I got so hooked. Being on Myst island meant leaving behind the tough cases, temperamental clients and annoying co-workers, if only for a few hours. One of the best ways for me to escape, and to honor my investigative tendencies, is lots of exploration. Even when playing adventure games today, be it first or third-person perspective, full of other characters or not, I love being able to travel around the environment and have a look around, even if there aren't many things to click on. That is one of the reasons why I love Syberia so much (and have replayed it at least three or four times).

The other main reason why I love adventure games is the story.......

How to Balance Game Production and Your Day Job

Quote:

Balancing one’s day job and game production is not an easy task. There’s a great thread about How to balance game production and your day job at the new game producer forums. The thread contains some excellent pieces of advice, and I simply had to share these with you blog readers.

I’m sure all of us would like to know how to get more hours… but sometimes it can be about how to spend the few hours we have.

Here’s some tips from the members about how to balance game production and your day job.

3 Principles That Helped Me To Get 206,670 Unique Visitors to My Website Fast

Quote:

There are three important principles I’ve practiced to get traffic to my website. This article covers how these principled helped me to get 206,670 visitors to see what I have to offer. The article headline actually contains all these principles - in an erroneous manner.

11 Factors That Can Kill Your Game Business

Quote:

Game business question regarding profits was posed at the Indiegamer thread. I made a brief post at the forums, and decided to describe bit deeper these factors on the blog too. Here are 11 factors that can kill your game business.

Just Rewards

Quote:

Activision's James Portnow examines the methods games use to create a sense of reward that keeps gamers coming back for more.

Archetype vs. Stereotype

Quote:

Why do so many of our characters fall flat? In his weekly game design column, Activision's James Portnow explores why so many videogame characters turn out to be "anemic marionettes."

Building Success With Creative Adaptation

Quote:

Anyone who thinks they have come up with an idea that is completely new, and not influenced by any existing work, is either:

* An absolute genius (or possibly a messiah of some sort)
* Delusional
* Lying

With all the folks I've met over the years, I never had the pleasure of meeting the first type, but plenty of the second two.

Are You Evil?

Quote:

How many people have you killed? How many animals have you slaughtered? How many planes have you shot down? Aliens have you murdered? Anthropomorphic-turtles have you bopped?

Are you ... evil?

Videogames are violent affairs. No gamer can deny he's committed hundreds of awful acts that in normal society would have him captured, maimed or killed in retaliation. Not that all violent acts are evil, but it's safe to assume at least someone would be upset that his loved one was not coming home from the battlefield. Players never really think about the consequences of their virtual violence, and that is by design.

Scriptoria

Quote:

Defining the precise role of a scriptwriter in the videogame industry is not as straightforward as pointing out the rather obvious "dialogue" tip of the game development iceberg. Although scriptwriters are a moderately recent addition to the dev team, their function can be surprisingly widespread, and when properly involved, a professional writer can turn an ordinary game into an extraordinary entertainment experience.

Alternate Paths

Quote:

In his latest column, Activision's James Portnow has a "eureka" moment about one of the biggest issues in game design: choice. You may be surprised with his conclusion...

Alternate Paths Pt. 2

Quote:

It's time once again for another edition of that annual favorite, Bad Game Designer, No Twinkie! Since last year I've collected up another batch of Twinkie Denial Conditions from my readers, which I present for your edification and entertainment.

Bad Game Design, No Twinkie! VIII

Quote:

Follow along as Activision's James Portnow delves deeper into one of the most dizzying game design elements: choice.

Hitting Your Target

Quote:

Our design expert discusses clear goals with John Romero

How To Become a Game Designer

Quote:

Game Designer is one of those mythical positions everyone wants to fill. What isn't cool about getting to actually make the games you love so much? What isn't cool about being able to brag to all of your old-school gaming buddies that you are a real live game designer? What isn't cool about getting to come up with awesome ideas and having the programmers and artists implement them? Well, there isn't anything uncool about any of that. Unfortunately, reality is a bit different.

Foundations of Interactive Storytelling

Quote:

This essay looks at the foundations of interactive storytelling, with a focus on their relevance to computer games. Tabletop RPGs (and the related medium of adventure gamebooks) are an important part of the background and history of this new medium, but will forever by a minority pursuit. Computer games, on the other hand, look set to take the reigns of interactive storytelling and bring them to a broad, diverse and expectant audience.

Agatha Christie Joins Video Game Heroines

Quote:

Death on the Nile, the downloadable game, sells 10 million copies in six months as casual gamers hop on board

Gray matter optional for dummies - 09/29/07 19:57

Gray matter optional for dummies

Quote:

"You can't overestimate the stupidity of the mass market." - Jane Jensen

Quote:

And going back to Benoît Sokal's Syberia , we see evidence of the philosophy described by White Birds' Michel Bams, who says the goal was to avoid two longstanding adventure staples: "Firstly, the kind of wacky puzzles that were the hallmark of many LucasArts games. Secondly, esoteric Myst-style puzzles involving astral conjunctions and runes. Our idea at the time was that, if your car is out of gas, you get a can, find somewhere to fill it with gas, get back to your car and start driving."

So You Want To Be A Game Developer? - 03/09/08 07:55

So You Want To Be A Game Developer?

Quote:

Plot, Background Design, Character Design

Visual Character Design

Quote:

First, let me state what this is not. This is not an end all be all discussion on character design. This is not a drawing tutorial. My only intention is to present an approach to the visual side of character design that I find effective. The methods and techniques discussed may not work for everybody, but I believe they will help most to develop stronger, more visually appealing characters.

Nine Paths to Indie Game Greatness

Quote:

The rise of the independent gaming movement is a vital one, and in this in-depth article, game development veteran Marsh showcases nine methods that indies are using to develop games with fewer resources.

Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: So You Want To Be A Game Developer? - 03/09/08 12:11

i found the nine-paths one particularly good.

julz

Writing for Movie-based Games - 03/16/08 09:39

Writing for Movie-based Games

Quote:

Games and films both require writers for their scripts, of course, but there are obviously major differences between writing for games and writing for film. Now, how about when a writer must work on a game adaptation of a film?

PCs Are Good For Anything, Just Not Games

Quote:

We got a chance to sit down with one of the sparkling celebrities of the IT industry during the the Game Developers Conference 2008: Tim Sweeney is founder and CEO of Epic Games, creator of the famous Unreal game engines.

TG Daily editor Theo Valich spoke with Sweeney about the future of the PC as a game platform, the role of the next-generation of game consoles, the next Unreal engine as well as the future of Epic.

We have known Sweeney for several years and are always looking forward to his view on the state of the gaming industry, which he is not afraid to discuss openly. In this first part of our three-part interview, Sweeney takes on the PC, which he believes is in trouble and can’t keep up with game consoles, mistakes in Windows Vista and the integrated graphics dilemma.

Posted By: DavidLancaster

Re: Writing for Movie-based Games - 03/28/08 12:39

I've been studying this thread and adventure games alot recently. I've got in my head at the moment an idea of the best way to design an adventure game, using techniques such as consistent anticipation and reward.

Orange_Brat - I know you're working on Disenfranchised. Do you ever feel like you've got all the knowledge in your head but haven't yet been able to let it out into a game? You seem to know alot about adventure games, do you ever just absorb all this information and collaberate it into a way that you know how to implement it into a game of your own?

Re: Writing for Movie-based Games - 03/29/08 05:57

Yeah, it's all there, but applying that knowledge to an original work is tricky. Plus, I'm really burned out right now, so I'm not even thinking about it much these days. I'm trying to get out of my slump, and get the ball rolling, but that too is tricky.

Here's an appropriate link I think:

Trying to Design a Truly Entertaining Game Can Defeat Even a Certified Genius

Quote:

Ted Castronova, a social scientist and professor at Indiana University, made a name for himself studying the economies of online games, going so far as to calculate the exchange rate between US dollars and EverQuest platinum. But he wanted to do more than study virtual worlds — he wanted to create one.

So You Want to be a Game Developer? - 09/07/08 23:39

So You Want to be a Game Developer?

Quote:
Entry #9: Lights! Camera! Action! and Set Design

Adventure Architect: Rise of the Hidden Sun (coda)

Quote:
So, where were we? Oh, that's right: Animation. This month, I'll discuss the use of in-game animated sequences to add richness to your adventure game world and—

What? Why are you looking at me like that?

Two years? TWO YEARS?!? Has it really been TWO YEARS since my last Adventure Architect installment? Yikes. Okay, I guess it has been a while.

The Tao of Game Design

Quote:
It's not possible to make a completely solipsistic video game. A designer can't make a game that is purely personal expression; she must give the player something to do, or it's not a game at all. As a result, the tao of game design can't be described in a single sentence or a unitary idea.

The tao must partake of the eternal yin-yang of the player and the designer. Without the player, there is no game. Without the designer, there is no game.

Searching Under the Rug: Interfaces, Puzzles, and the Evolution of Adventure Games

Quote:
This article is about a different genre of gaming: one that is less a problem of real-time physics and more to do with puzzle-solving and creation; less about creating an interesting general system for the player to toy with and more about specifically scripting everything the designer wants to happen. It's less about creating an interactive reflex-rewarding world, and more about telling a specific story.

© 2024 lite-C Forums