Game site?

Posted By: Pavle

Game site? - 11/09/11 23:55

I should build a site for my game soon but I was thinking about what alternatives are? Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a different approach & use MySpace, Facebook, YouTube..?
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Game site? - 11/10/11 01:27

wordpress is very popular for its ease of use. laugh
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: Game site? - 11/10/11 01:45

I've found Joomla to be very good as well. It's like wordpress in that it's a CMS (Content Management System) but it's centered less on blogging and more on building websites which can present information, display products, and even run an online business. I once used it in combination with a selection of plugins to build a website+shop for my family's business. Ebay uses it as well.

EDIT: Spike's website uses it too.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Game site? - 11/10/11 03:03

Oooh, I really like the look of Joomla. Thanks for the info!
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Game site? - 11/10/11 04:43

yes, joomla is very nice too laugh

Re: Game site? - 11/10/11 12:08

Thanx for suggestions, I've heard that Joomla is very popular & easy to use. I've never heard of Wordpress but it looks interesting.

..but what would be an alternative to the classic website concept? Is there some more global location that is strictly game-oriented that can be used as a substitute for a classic webpage, something similar to the Deviantart or Reverbnation? Can something like that be considered a substitute for professional game site?
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: Game site? - 11/10/11 14:11

YoYo Games lets its users do something along the lines of what you're asking for but its for Game Maker users only.
Posted By: SchokoKeks

Re: Game site? - 11/10/11 17:50

Its not a full substitute, but its a very good start:

www.indiedb.com

several users have profiles of their game there, including me. Check out the Engine page for links to those games:

http://www.indiedb.com/engines/gamestudio-a8
http://www.indiedb.com/engines/3d-game-studio

last link is for A6 and A7
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Game site? - 11/10/11 18:10

Yes, IndieDB is great! Could be exactly what you need. It has an active community, each game (and developer) have their own page where they can post news, videos, images, upload demos, host a forum specifically for their game, and get feedback from players.
Posted By: Error014

Re: Game site? - 11/10/11 18:23

Oh, wow. Really? "Dungeon Deities" starts with a "D", and still it's aaaaall the way down the very last entry in that stupid list.

You guys and your fascination with letters before "D". Seriously. What, the other 23 letters not good enough for ya?!
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Game site? - 11/10/11 18:45

...for me it is the 5th in the list, right after Downside Evil and before Gravix - sounds okay?

Btw, I would program such a website for a Game myself but also use indieDB.

Re: Game site? - 11/10/11 18:48

Hey thanx for the link, Indiedb is great:):) It seems to be a good place to showcase a project/game & there's a lot of GS games there also. I will surely make a profile for my game once I finish-up a few things:)
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Game site? - 11/10/11 20:56

I would like to add a note to Wordpress/Joomla: If you use any of them, be sure to add a plugin that generates static sites out of your dynamic ones. The reason is that if your game becomes successful, you will get a ton of traffic in a very short period of time and a single server is usually pretty bad at serving multiple clients with dynamic content at the same time.
Also, if you use static content, you could think about using Nginx instead of the usual choice, Apache, which is extremely bloated. Nginx can serve static content about ten times better than Apache, both in terms of open connections at a time, network saturation and memory footprint.

Oh and create your own website! Its a horrible idea to depend on an unpaid third party service, if its down you can't do a single thing and what happens in a month? Can you be sure that the service is still available then?
Also you don't have the freedom with third party that you would have if were using your own site, every indiedb site looks the very same, you have nothing that makes your site there any different from others.
© 2024 lite-C Forums