Console Games?

Posted By: Genwhite

Console Games? - 05/27/10 03:23

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum; this is my first post on these forums, but I expect to be returning here frequently.

I have started using 3D GameStudio A7, free version. I really like the setup, I'm having a pretty easy time finding tutorials, and in general, I really like this engine.

I did have one question, however, that I could not find an answer for. I wanted to know, is GameStudio able to publish games to consoles? For example, if I wanted to publish a game, or even just test a game on a console like an Xbox 360, or a Wii, would I be able to? And if it is possible, I would love to get as much information as possible about it.

Thank you for any help!
Posted By: roflmaster

Re: Console Games? - 05/27/10 03:29

you could but you would have to have all the prog or w/e for those consoles..if you want a console game your best bet is to download xna gamestudio for the xbox 360 and prog your games with that because it comes with all the xbox compatiblity stuff(not really sure what its called as i am not a programer)

Re: Console Games? - 05/27/10 04:12

But you can put GameStudio on consoles? Does anyone have any links for information on how to do so?
Posted By: old_bill

Re: Console Games? - 05/27/10 06:14

Well, at the moment there is no "Export my Game to plattform X" button in GameStudio,
but Conitec has offered several times, that if someone pays the costs that will be caused
for the porting process, they'll do it for you.

Re: Console Games? - 05/27/10 06:26

Interesting... I have little knowledge of programming at all, but I assume that it is a complicated process that they handle for you? Has anyone on the site done this and can further explain the process? I know that I am nowhere near publishing a game, but I'd just like to know for any future reference.

And do you know how much it costs? I assume it varies for each situation, but any ballpark estimate would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: fogman

Re: Console Games? - 05/27/10 07:14

Rough, unqualified estimate: >5k€ (but I think it would go rather >20k€, depending on the desired platform)
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: Console Games? - 05/27/10 11:59

Quote:
I have little knowledge of programming at all

dont put too much effort into making multiplatform games yet.
Learn the basics of making a game (on the PC) first.
So 3d Game Studio is a good start for that.
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: Console Games? - 05/27/10 12:33

I wonder is it feasible to port games to non x86 platform, isn't lite-C exclusive for x86? All game consoles today are using a variant of PowerPC core.
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: Console Games? - 05/29/10 11:24

as i remember right lite-c has 2 modi: pure and legacy. in one of the modes it is (theoretically) possible to compile it with a c++-compiler. so, what if the lite-c code will be ported to this mode, correct specific headers and includes and compile it with a c++-compiler for another plattform?
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: Console Games? - 05/31/10 10:32

If the price to pay for Conitec to port your game is higher than buy a multi-platform engine (Unity, ShiVa), why not simply buy a multi-platform engine?
Posted By: Joey

Re: Console Games? - 06/12/10 20:09

Originally Posted By: Tempelbauer
so, what if the lite-c code will be ported to this mode, correct specific headers and includes and compile it with a c++-compiler for another plattform?

then the engine-dll is still a win32 library.
Posted By: FBL

Re: Console Games? - 06/17/10 20:30

Originally Posted By: Tempelbauer
as i remember right lite-c has 2 modi: pure and legacy. in one of the modes it is (theoretically) possible to compile it with a c++-compiler. so, what if the lite-c code will be ported to this mode, correct specific headers and includes and compile it with a c++-compiler for another plattform?

Then you can as well take a standard C++ compiler.
© 2024 lite-C Forums