THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]]

Posted By: darkinferno

THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 12:35

DO NOT WATCH THIS IS YOU KNOW YOUR GONNA BUY MODERNWARFARE 2 AND WANNA EXPERIENCE IT ALL BY YOURSELF OR HATE VIOLENT SCENES

-please also notice the disturbing content warning-

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxdZyGGE3T8[/video]

this is the terrorist mission from cod4 modern warefare 2...

my first comments, i think this mission is the most bad assed mission in any game yet, you like the mission, but you dont like whats happening, you actually DONT want to shoot... but you also do know its a game..

i played it and my thoughts while playing were:
-damn these guys are badasses
-i respect infinity ward for pulling off the feel of what crime is, too many games make it feel like a joke

what i also felt:
-damn, this is an airport
-its like killing someones mom/dad/brother/sister [its not a FUN mission but its a good mission]
-it makes you feel an hatred towards the team of terrorists

now some ppl can and will find this offensive and am here to flame you ass if you cant make a good comment as to why you dont like it wink

also, before you comment to say this is a bad scene, just make sure you say the same for the GTA series...

games do alot of civilian shooting but this game makes you actually feel like your doing something that you dont want to

[MAKAROV]

Posted By: alibaba

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 13:22

Yes i am fully agrred with you darkinferno.. O.o this is like... you do it really... or something. its really scary.. everyone is crying and you shoot all them down... boah this is horrible. and the allies are walking chilled and shoot everyone down.. that let me think twice about the terrorsm.
Posted By: AlexDeloy

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 13:43

immersive indeed but how did you play it when global release is next tuesday ?
Posted By: the_clown

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 14:02

Originally Posted By: alibaba
Yes i am fully agrred with you darkinferno.. O.o this is like... you do it really... or something. its really scary.. everyone is crying and you shoot all them down... boah this is horrible. and the allies are walking chilled and shoot everyone down.. that let me think twice about the terrorsm.

Wouldnt recommend you to play it anyway, alibaba - there's a reason why its rated 18+...
However, it really is disturbing.
Lets ME think twice about playing it...

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 14:05

Originally Posted By: AlexDeloy
immersive indeed but how did you play it when global release is next tuesday ?
went to an arcade, they had it on xbox, idc how they got it.. paid fa half an hour then yup..
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 14:21

I hope it's more disturbing to play than it was to watch.

Jibb
Posted By: ratchet

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 14:36

I think Dark Inferno has got a non official copy !

But no games or movies, will bring you what you can really feel in a real situation ! Where you're in danger everywhere, where every second is lot more intense than just playing with your mouse behind your monitor laugh !
Or the horror of war you can see in real !

I hope Modern Warfare 2 to be fun , i don't want it to turn in a game make you have bad feelings or in a war horror documentary , there is movies and videos for that!

Have they forgotten the game goal was to be a fun game with fun gameplay not documentary or morale game !
This is not the type of scenes that will make me want to buy it; so why putting them ?
They want to make people aware of horror War ? make a movie instead, but let the game to be fun first of all.

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 14:59

Originally Posted By: ratchet

But no games or movies, will bring you what you can really feel in a real situation ! Where you're in danger everywhere, where every second is lot more intense than just playing with your mouse behind your monitor laugh !
Or the horror of war you can see in real !

I hope Modern Warfare 2 to be fun , i don't want it to turn in a game make you have bad feelings or in a war horror documentary , there is movies and videos for that!

Have they forgotten the game goal was to be a fun game with fun gameplay not documentary or morale game !
This is not the type of scenes that will make me want to buy it; so why putting them ?
They want to make people aware of horror War ? make a movie instead, but let the game to be fun first of all.

now, first of all, i dont know whats with that, I THINK DARK INFERNO HAS AN UNOFFICIAL COPY statement, i have no time to be playing games, i have my project working on, secondly, how would me lying about playing it at a game arcade benefit me in any way whatsoever?

and umm, yes, games should be fun but WAR isnt FUN, games shouldnt make war seem fun, if you are doing an unrealistic shooter, then sure, stuff as much fun elements in it as possible, if your making a shooter and using the REAL WORLD we live in, talking aout real soldiers and events then its disgusting to make it "fun"

war must feel tense, emotional, noone said it was a fun mission, noone will ever say it was a fun mission, it wasnt made to be fun..

so you want modern warfare to be a fun war game where you shoot mindless waves of enemies? umm.. sure

and games should aim for realistic graphics but not try to capture player emotions?

i'm tired of games where you run around shooting mindless enemies, COD gave the option to skip the mission, we know no game will ever make you feel like in the actual situation, so, does that mean they musnt try?
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 15:09

Originally Posted By: darkinferno

-damn these guys are badasses
-i respect infinity ward for pulling off the feel of what crime is, too many games make it feel like a joke

what i also felt:
-damn, this is an airport
-its like killing someones mom/dad/brother/sister [its not a FUN mission but its a good mission]
-it makes you feel an hatred towards the team of terrorists

The base of your feelings are healthy relationships to your family and social environment.
What about people who don't have a firm and healthy base of their feelings like you? (What about people who instead actually hate their parents and social environment - and maybe, have good reason to do so?)
I don't know why the game making companies think that they have to provide violence in _all_ variations.

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 15:17

Originally Posted By: Pappenheimer
What about people who don't have a firm and healthy base of their feelings like you? (What about people who instead actually hate their parents and social environment - and maybe, have good reason to do so?)

i TOTALLY understand your comment, but what am saying, its best they stop making realistic like war games all together rather than making war games where you shoot meaningless dumb ai.. one man going around picking off 999 ai enemies, war is nothing like that..

the option to skip this mission is possible and yet everyone so far sits through it..

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 15:38

@Dark_Inferno :
You wrote that :
So by playing i thought game not movie , for movie you can say watching instead !

Modern Warfare 2 will be lof ot fun indeed: that's the multiplayer that will be lot lot of fun. Modern Warfare had loads of fun even in solo.

But all people wait for its the multiplayer lot more than single player , once i finished you will stick with multiplayer : thats IS A GAME WAR VERY VERY FUN !

Don't tell me that multiplayer scares you or that you have some feelings when killing all ennemies players when playing it laugh ??
The more you kill in combo the more happy you are !
The better rank you have No ?
BattlkeField Bad Company 2 , will be a VERY VERY FUN GAME WAR Indeed !
Horror games like Left For Dead 2, are fun No ? and it's a massacre game ; like war games, where you are a ONE PERSON HERO KILLING ALL ENNEMIES laugh !! Where is the reality here ?

Games remain games.
Don't tell me that you play FPS War games caus they are more serious than Fun ??

Metal Gear Solid 1 , had some pretty strong feeling sequences, one of the best games made on earth with FF7.

I want FPS War games to have Hollywood seuquences that impress me and loads of fun even with realism, if not we would not buy them.

For realistic WAR FPS gamles play Arm Assault 2 instead.
COD series are not realistic , just arcade.

Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 15:48

The graphics are just.... awesome.

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 16:07

multiplayer and singleplayer are too different fields, am not talking about multiplayer and i said i did PLAY the game, not watch, because i played it doesnt mean its my copy or i even know where the hell they got it from, went to an arcade for my usual bout in halo3, someone said they had MW2, am like, how? its not released, noone said anything, oh well, saw ma friend playing it, he said, "hey dark, tell me what you think of this mission" then handed me the control...

all am stating is thats its a very emotional scene, its the same way you feel if you've watched saving private ryan or blackhawkdown, for example, the blackhawkdown game did nothing to show what the soldiers went through that day, should a game based on real/close to real events be fun? i think not...

not saying wargames shouldnt be fun but if your gonna do it, the player should feel some emotion, not just give him a gun with 999,999 ammo and let him wipe hundreds of mindless terrorists in one tv room [cod MW1]

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 21:33

I know that some games want to bring emotion, and some have done it well :
Ico, Metal Gear Solid 1 , Shadow of colossus, Final Fantasy ,Mass Effect (scene where you must choose what friend will sacrifice to save human race) etc ...

FPS war game, must do big action and scenes, it's their main job, including emotion why not ?
If they let Multiplayer to be Fun , no problem.

Totally Personnaly :
I have enough emotions on the life ( internal wars at job etc ...) , if i play an FPS i wait for lot more action than emotion , sure laugh
Posted By: Quad

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 22:34

Totally Personnaly :
I have enough emotions on the life ( internal wars at job etc ...) , if i play an FPS i wait for lot more action than emotion , sure laugh

yes, that's totally personal indeed. For me, I generally wait for a story or diffrent atmoshperes than action.(mass effect, bioshock etc.)

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/07/09 22:41

ya... so pickup a gun fps, halo, killzone, halflife, whatever, these are games that dont use real names and places so players are less likely to compare them to reality

notice all the game you listed as 'emotional' all fall under the scifi range, mass effect went under problems because of what they call a "sex scene", which pretty much makes no sense to me as it didnt show anything...

call of duty has always focused on reality and even though they arent using a real story, the takes place in close to real areas, they make use of real places and references...

"i have enough emotions on life"
well, thats good, that means you wont wanna play the campaign of a good war game, a game that shows what war can be like and just how messed up the world we live in can be, play the multiplayer

this scene isnt fun and i know they didnt make it thinking, "omg, players will love this" am sure they were saying, how can we develop an hatred between the player and this guy makarov, how can pull him off as the ultimate bad guy, how can we show players just how screwed up the "GAMES WORLD" is..

the point was never that this is a fun/enjoyable scene, it was that it did the job it was meant to do, am glad the game doesnt focus all on fun, when a player is traversing the narrow corridors of doom3. the streets of ravenholm in halflife 2 or being virtually raped by a dead 13 year old in F.E.A.R, i doubt fun is what they say, they'll say, wow, the game immersive, damn i feel like this and that..

the idea is, war isnt fun and if i ever complete Scion the way i have it scripted and documented, well it isnt to make players love the feel of war either...

now, is this scene disturbing? yes, do i think its fun? no, do i think its cool? no... what i do know, is that immersed you in a totally messed up world...

they tried to do it in the last COD, with the driving scene, those were civilians being shot, just that you saw less, this is the next level and the game says

"disturbing content warning, events in this mission can/will offend some people, do you wish to skip, you cam skip at anytime, this will not affect your unlocks or any achievements you may gain"

basically they placed the character in an interactive cutscene, noone told you to shoot, you can walk through the entire level and just look..

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/08/09 00:55

well, thats good, that means you wont wanna play the campaign of a good war game . . .

I finished COD4 solo campaign , verfy good , same thing for this one , never said i will not play the solo laugh

a game that shows what war can be like and just how messed up the world we live in can be, play the multiplayer

Just go on Youtube or other :
Look at real bad scenes or a document where you saw an army car returning to base with one of the guy killed : just lot of blood when they opened the back door ! And the team not crying but would want.
'that's reality not video game here)

Already seen emotionnal situations bad things :
- A guy cutted in two parts ( legs flying ) , cutted by a car going too fast : legs lying on road near my parents previous home.
-In parachute in army i was, two guys dead in a simple parachute exercice
-I've been attacked by crazy people !
. . . I stop here laugh

I don't really need to experience bad situations, and i already know at some point how war is horrible for soldiers and civilians.

But don't forget :
Vietnam and Second war were even lot lot more horrible than today wars showed in Modern Warfare.
There were big camps where millions of civilians people was transported by train before been burned.
And the number of soldiers that where shoot in Vietnam.

And you just find fun FPS games to play, in that periods of war.
Perhaps show you the horror of civilians killed in second war in a game , juts would make you more motivated to really kill bad ennemies finally.

In GTA4, already allow you to shoot civilians !
and you play the entire game as a bad ass killing people.

MW2 feels more realistic caus it's turned like a real documentary war where you play through war events narrated (simulated) like real ones.

Another realistic point is the dialog sound :
Without it , no immersion, Metal Gear Solid 1 , even with simple graphics, the dialogs brought characters to life indeed.
(i played a game long time ago and just remember i was really scared by screams) :
I can't imagine a game with a scene, where you would have very real loud screams of panic from a civilian :
(not Doom 3 standard screams that really sound played !)
Very well done screams by a really talented professionnal people , like it could be in real life , you would be very shocked also !

But perhaps good if that game can show to some young people that war is horrible.

Personnaly, i don't need it, i already know it at some point!

Posted By: adoado

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/08/09 06:04

Wow....thats ...disturbing.

They really manage to immerse the player in the whole thing....

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/08/09 06:13

all am saying is that, they successfully immersed the player in the BS of what war is, all those things that you've listed are tragic and all... but how many ppl have experienced it...

alot of soldiers went to iraq thinking it'd be like a Rambo scene, also, alot of games have done, gore/blood/guts/dismemberment/mindless shooting but none of them ever immersed the player the way MW2 just did...

the game shows ppl that finally, war isnt about some hippy jumping with an AK, and if you wanna be an hippy with an AK, just click mltiplayer

when i finished that mission, all i could do was put down the control and say "f*ck"

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/08/09 14:23

@DarkInfero :
A soldier : must know that he must be prepared to die in a real war it can occur.
And War had always bad things like people civilians killed !Even on vietnam by marines that gone crazy ,and some didn't know if civilians were not going to put a trap on them.

War is horrible and have no Honor at all .

But simple people shooted by a gang member on US for some money or anything : this simple people is a human also.
Victims of plane crash , isn't it horrible also for them , when the company didn't a good check out on plane ...
etc ... etc ...
Each human is important ...

Why civilians victim war should be the only people we cry about on a game ?

There is better way to really be horrified by war :
-Strong and hard to listen videos documentary from real scenes
-Or just travel to a country in war to really feel bad.

Well , we must not forget , games goal is entertaining and evade ourselves.

And the majority of players will play Multi after playing this bad solo scene.

And some people , will really take it as a pure game scene.
Even if they have taken a beer before laugh

Ok i stop talking about this scene.
I'll juts take it as a pure game scene, and i will not need to shoot at civilians ;
or perhaps only to see if their ragdoll system works well (for me it's a simple game) laugh laugh !

Posted By: FBL

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/08/09 15:40

"Dieses Video ist aufgrund des Urheberrechtsanspruchs von Activision Games Inc nicht mehr verfügbar. "

Hm. Seems like the video was taken down.

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/08/09 19:12

you wont shoot at civilians ever in the game, as said, this was just to exaggerate the evil character makarov is and it did that perfectly, every game tries their best to make their players connect real emotions to their characters, ofcourse if this is done good, players will have something to talk about...

...the point of the game isnt killing civilians, an average gta player kills thousands of civilians and not feel any remorse, this scene makes you feel that remorse, and once again, you can watch the scene, you dont have to shoot...

most game designers, in order to make their enemies seem evil, they make them attack something we can connect to in real life [in this case, civilians, an airport, terrorism] but most time they do it in such a way that we dont care, this game makes us care, makes us wanna play through just to get back at him..

..we're pass the stage where games are just made for fun, games are now trying to immerse players in a believable world while maintaining fun so the player wants to replay, most AAA games now are not focusing 100% on the fun factor and thats obvious and as said, its not a bad scene nor is it a good scene, its a scene that did what it was meant to do
Posted By: Joozey

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/09/09 13:20

Yes, they made a good job at feeling me sick. Now I know what game I will not play.

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/09/09 13:31

well, thats war...
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/09/09 14:02

Its quite true, one of the few gamescenes, where crime is
not displayed in the funny/entertainment way.
In most other games and movies, the the viewer is just wathcing the actions of
criminals with interest, without relating it to reality.
I probably would shoot the terrorists right away the first time
I play this level (even if that means game over).

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/09/09 14:06

Originally Posted By: Damocles_
Its quite true, one of the few gamescenes, where crime is
not displayed in the funny/entertainment way.
In most other games and movies, the the viewer is just wathcing the actions of
criminals with interest, without relating it to reality.

my point exactly
Posted By: achaziel

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/09/09 15:59

Quote:

... errrrmmmmm.... so what?

btt, this is really disturbing. even though i wonder "so this is disturbing... then what is gta? you're shooting civilians en masse in that game and yet it's not immersing at all"... am i the only one who thinks that way?

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/09/09 18:38

i guess its not immersing because its expected from the gta, the player has no connection between whoever he's killing, in his/our minds, we're just shooting some dumb AI, doesnt mean much to the average person...

we can all connect with terrorism, airports, most of us already have that fear within us, so this is why this scene feels the way it does, its not necessarily more brutal than other games.. as damocles said:

"Its quite true, one of the few gamescenes, where crime is
not displayed in the funny/entertainment way"

call of duty was always trying to immerse players in REAL WAR, i think they may have hired a few writers now though, call of duty was never meant to be an arcade shooter but that was all it was in the past, even cod4s campaign wasnt very immersive, you didnt care that much, maybe because they keep switching between the characters before players can make an emotional connection to them..

kill an NPC [noone cares]
kill and NPC the player connects with [thats immersion]
Posted By: Shahzaib

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/09/09 18:43

plz sir tell me how did u shift player controls to another object...i watch ur game video its quite good...plz let me know what r the codes to get in n out from another model n also control it...

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/09/09 21:34

this is really the wrong place to ask this and you are wayyy off topic, i will not go into it but its really simple, all you need is a variable like:

var In_Vehicle;

then say in your game, if In_Vehicle == 0, you can move your player, if In_Vehicle == 1 then your in a vehicle, just hide your player, make him passable and snap him to the vehicles position then when you press the button to exit the vehicles, you give control back to the player

i wont go in detail on this... but it should be easy

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/11/09 11:23

Ok i played the game and it is my thoughts :

The massacre scene playing it, had no impact and no immersion at all on me :
level , characters looked like in a video game, not immersive !
i think that seeing the video before , put away the discover effect (when you don't know what will happen) !

Even screams , where very standard screams played by actors!
You'll never earn real screams mixed with crys where you feel really bad or they (or they need to go to a real battlefield)!

Sure it's a game it's so totally irrealistic : shooting all special forces so easily :
Speacial forces have Snipers and Commandos that you won't put down like that laugh

Another point : they should avoid putting so much videos, caus it you loose all discover effect about half of the game.

I've done some levels (not finished) :
The levels are short sometimes, lot of guerilla and goals in a same zone ! No connexion between levels !

Personnaly for me :
It's another war FPS GAME ! very far far far away from what you feel when you look at a documentary with people crying the dead of a member !

But Big game : very good sounds compared to MW1 , very smooth, better detailled levels and characters. Big game indeed.
And Multiplayer is fun as hell laugh

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/11/09 12:56

The massacre scene playing it, had no impact and no immersion at all on me :
level , characters looked like in a video game, not immersive !

well have fun with that, tell that to the half a million people who are still disturbed by it, the point was never about the realism of the game in general but of the immersion of this scene, whether what you felt before playing the game or not, the fact that showing this little scene can generate such controversy around the net, then its doing what it should do...

Speacial forces have Snipers and Commandos that you won't put down like that

umm, we know that, hence it being a game, so pointless to say that.. i didnt say it mirrored reality, i said this scene did what it should do..

call of duty games are never very good at connecting to player emotion and this is because they jump between levels and make you play as characters you dont care about but as said.. this topic isnt about that

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/11/09 15:28

In fact it's pure game for me, i don't see any reality in tha game.

this little scene can generate such controversy around the net,
I know , it can be a good thing for people that don't know how horrible is a war !

Even that scene is far far far from the reality when you have real blood in front of your or crying/dying people :
In reality, you'll feel really bad , at a point no game can reach.

If one day you' are in front of a hard situation( for example big accident with people dead or dying) : you'll feel really really bad , and i guaranti you that you'll consider games as pure fiction.

Well everyone take and feel games like he wants.
I would find a movie based on MW2 lot lot more emotionnal and impacting , caus of real actors ! Sure !
If they really want to show horror or bring emotion just make a movie, it would work great.

Posted By: lostclimate

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/11/09 16:24

I too wasnt really affected much by that scene, but my friend was, probably like ratchet said, partially because I already saw the video. But my friend said that the models were more real to him than let's say gta, so he felt like it was a little messed up.
Posted By: Blackchuck

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/11/09 17:26

WTF!!!???
It`s horrible and borring.
I meen it`s thest shooting at everithing that moves.
And there are not even reel enemy`s in that scene.
That is borring and horrible terible!!!
But a wonderfull gravik and physic and realistik...
But still horrible and borring

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/11/09 17:27

...that you'll consider games as pure fiction.[/b]

once again, missing the point, i never said the game was real, who'd be retarded enough to think a game can simulate the emotions you'd feel if you were actually in that position, my point was and is, that this scene brings more immersion than most games do, hence the thread name " THIS is how you immerse a player", i didnt say the game was close to reality in any way... but it does touch the feelings of alot of people.. so it is somewhat immersive to alot, browse the net/youtube and you'll see just how many people were affected by it... so stop saying it isnt feeling like reality because i never said it was, theyre learning to bring more immersion and are doing it slowly but surely

another very immersive game was halflife 2, so, because its nowhere near reality you'll say its not immersive?

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
...so he felt like it was a little messed up[/b]

and alot of other players/viewers feel the same, so my topic is still on point, they did a good job of accomplishing the feel they wanted...

could they have done better? am sure they could, but with more realism, the more creepy the scene gets, to the point that players may never even wanna play the game...

theres a line between whats real and what works when it comes to game design

if the scene wasnt immersive then i doubt you'd hear the following comments:
-they made a good job at feeling me sick. Now I know what game I will not play
-this is a bit much
-omg this is horrible, we should boycott this game

Originally Posted By: Blackchuck
WTF!!!???
It`s horrible and borring.
I meen it`s thest shooting at everithing that moves.
And there are not even reel enemy`s in that scene.
That is borring and horrible terible!!!

now, if your getting those comments and the scene isnt immersive, i dont wanna see what an immersive game does..

and umm, @Blackchuck:
thats not the full level, swat teams will be called in and whatever, and also, am glad you said it was horibble, proving my point, because shooting civilians shouldnt be fun

the scene wasnt meant to be fun, so anyone who cant realize what they were aiming for shouldnt even be looking at the game...
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/11/09 18:48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReKUSzo8Y-s&feature=player_embedded

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/11/09 22:06

@DarkInferno :
I know that they've done good work on showing horror of war.
Didn't wanted to annoy you, juts posted my own feelings about it : Each of us is unique and thinks/reacts differently , i hope laugh

@ChrisB:
Awesome video, the Gun for WII at the end of video really made me laught , made my day a lot laugh

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/11/09 22:28

@DarkInferno :
I know that they've done good work on showing horror of war.
Didn't wanted to annoy you, juts posted my own feelings about it : Each of us is unique and thinks/reacts differently , i hope laugh

naah, not annoyed, lol... thats what gaming is about grin ideas/opinions and the like

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/11/09 23:20

I think if each of us would see in a game a town of our country and a national flag burning we could be shocked,
caus we live in that country (that's a level taking place in USA).
I think, this game will bring much more emotions to US people.

They can't make a game specific for each country laugh !
Posted By: Paul_L_Ming

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/15/09 08:41

Hiya.

*shrug* What's the point? What's the next mission...you go around with a blunt object bashing puppies and kittens? *sigh* Some folks may find it "entertaining", I'd find it boring and pointless. I don't tend to like "real-life" based games anyway.

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/15/09 10:49

Originally Posted By: Paul_L_Ming
Hiya.

*shrug* What's the point? What's the next mission...you go around with a blunt object bashing puppies and kittens? *sigh* Some folks may find it "entertaining", I'd find it boring and pointless. I don't tend to like "real-life" based games anyway.

read the thread and try and understand the game before you comment, do you honestly think this scene was designed to be "fun".. if you dont tend to like reallife base games, i understand that but even games not based on reality try to do similar things to the immersion shown here and fail, we already know what the scene was meant for, it been said over and over in the thread...
Posted By: Jaeger

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/16/09 04:31

That was very cool. Even though I've never considered CoD to be an extremely realistic or immersing game, this seems to have some "depth" to it that other games don't. It makes you think about the situation and your morals, despite the fact that you know it's a game. I don't think it's a publicity stunt, not at all. It's one of the few masterpieces of gaming!

I don't really find it disturbing though. I've never been bothered by blood/gore. I'm more repulsed by spiders and cockroaches. laugh But definitely, not a mission for kids! :-/
Posted By: Paul_L_Ming

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/22/09 00:11

Hiya.

I think my interpretation of what "immersion" and some others is obviously different. I meant no offense to those who find it disturbing or uncomfortable.

For me, "immersion" is when I get so into the game that for fleeting moments I 'forget' about the computer screen in front of me, the mouse in my hand and the keyboard at my fingertips. It usually doesn't last long, but it's cool! laugh

Maybe watching the video isn't such a good gauge of how immersive that game/mission/level would be, but after watching it twice, I don't think I'd get "immersed" in it based on what I saw. Probably because the game seems to be attempting to be set "in the real world"...yet you, as the player, and your 'team mates' can get shot several times and keep right on laying waste to the place. The police don't do anything either...at the very beginning, the bad guys walk out of an elevator, fully armed, and two cops turn to look at them. They stand there for about 2 seconds, staring. A few seconds later, 'you' (the player in this video) shoots his buddy in front of him...and all that happens is they guy looks back and says 'Check your fire'. The other officers behave like typical 'dumb AI'; one steps out from behind cover and stands there for a good second before the players team shoots him. Two more officers decide it's a good idea to take the *glass elevator* up to get the bad guys.

Again... *shrug*. Now, if they have a "realistic" setting, where the cops behave like they actually have training, and where if I (or a team mate) gets shot with automatic weapons, there are serious effects (likely death or at least shock and debilitation)...then maybe I'd get more "immersed" in it. At least with the 'realistic' settings on I'd be sweaty palmed and dry-eyed, extra cautions, and probably paranoid. But the way the video looked...to me, I might as well be playing DOOM with God-Mode on.

PS: Yet again, no offense to those who can really get into this kind of 'realistic setting' type games. I guess I'm just wired differently. I can't. DOOM, sure I can...because in it my mind already has accepted the "suspension of disbelief" of the setting. No 'realism' is implied.

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 11/22/09 03:32

keep in mind this isnt the full level, also keep in mind the difficulty the level is on, plus, those teammates WILL kill you if you fire on them, they wont for a single stray shot, cod is trying to mix whats cool and at the same time, make it more immersive, its immersive in the sense tht you feel your doing something wrong, other than that, logically it isnt all that 'real' nor did i say it was, i also dont get offended that easily wink

this video isnt the full mission also, because you get heavy resistance from swat later on, also, you may thin the reaction time for the guard at the elevator door was slow but in reality, i doubt regular guards keep guns at airports, turning around to look at elevator that i see every day but now i notice huge ass guns, i dont think my reaction could be anything significant, so it wasnt about the realism of the scene, was about the fact that the game actually made you feel bad[atleast the firsttime playing]

cod really isnt known for replayability, atleast not in my eyes and thats because they script almost all their events
Posted By: Jaeger

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 12/04/09 18:48

It's cool for what it's meant to be, and I'm not at all a CoD fan. Way too easy, way too short lived, and darkinferno is right, 0 replayability. On the other hand, I'm still playing combat/flight sims made 8-10yrs ago, because they ARE replayable, and everyone mods them. So they're just like new. But, I admit, CoD IS pretty fun... for a few hours at least, before I beat it on "hard mode". laugh

A lot of kiddies think CoD is realistic, and some even fancy themselves soldiers after playing it, lol. But it's NOT meant to be a sim. It's meant to be an accessible game that anyone can play, and which sucks you into the story. And that's what it does. So I think the devs hit right on their intended mark, and they will be smiling all the way to the bank. Next? There will be another one in six months, just watch! laugh
Posted By: FcoElizalde

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 12/12/09 15:42

This reminds me of an article I read a time ago:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/military_law/4255750.html

I do think this is for publicity, after all, remember the fuzz the AC 130 gunship level made for CoDMW1.
And I know there are people who were looking forward to this, too excited by the images of gunned people who didnt fought back, dont get me wrong, I dont think videogames would be determinant in an unmoral or irrational future, but dont be naive to think that everyone that sits behind a screen actualy knows how to sepparate the stimulus from a fictitional enviroment.
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 12/19/09 20:59

I played MW2 yesterday and i was surprised they keep asking you at the beginning if you want to skip certain missions...

Then when i entered the Airport mission i remembered this thread. But to be honest, i didn't think the mission was that bad.

At first i thought *hm when i don't shoot at the people, they might notice i'm a "spy"*
So you just start shooting everything around you. After a while of getting tired of it i thought "i wonder if they even programed it that they will notice you if you dont shoot" so i stopped shooting the entire mission.

And while walking through the airport i often thought "hm those peoples models keep repeating a lot, so many of them have the same clothes" and other gamedesign-related questions.

After all it's just a game and i doubt it affects many people. I don't know if this missions count to the one that would have skipped if i accepted the question at the beginning but this one wasn't really.. "immersive"

The best mission so far was the snowmobile one grin I love snow/ice levels.
Posted By: Quad

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 12/19/09 21:01

it gets way better wink if you played cod4 story it's even better.

also if you are playing on pc id like to play multiplayer together.
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 12/19/09 22:22

Yes i am playing the story mode right now.

And no i have i just borrowed it for Xbox360 but i might consider getting it for the PC for the multiplayer mode (aiming on the Xbox is a pain in COD). So i might come back on this laugh
Prepare to have an easy enemy though tongue
Posted By: Joquan

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 12/29/09 03:43

And to think, this HAS happened before. Such a sick world. I only hope people will find the truth and repent their sins to God so they can all go heaven. Even the real life terrorists need our prayer.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 01/03/10 19:19

you just went to a no-go area...
no religion in gamedesign...
NEVER
Posted By: Joquan

Re: THIS is how you immerse a player [cod4mw[SPOILER]] - 01/08/10 02:32

I don't care. I will express my religion wherever I believe it is necessary. Plus, that wasn't something like preaching, I was just stating that we need to pray for them.

I hope that didn't sound angry. I did not intend for it to be that way.
© 2024 lite-C Forums