Splatter and gore effects - yes or no?

Posted By: the_clown

Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/03/09 16:03

How do you you feel about splatter effects and flying bodyparts in games, or about showing explicit violence in games in general? Not only from the developer's view, but also from a gamer's view.
Do you think it's needed for an intense, realistic game experience?
Posted By: croman

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/03/09 16:17

depends...if it's some realistic WW2 fps game then yes, i'd like to have all brutal parts included, but also i'd like to have an option to disable it if someone younger in my family wants to play that game but the content is not for his age.
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/03/09 16:38

no its not needed, simple and if your gonna do it dont make it happen the exact same way, something from my design doc:

-enable gore effects randomly, meaning, out of every 20 headshots, only once may you actually see gore effects such as the head flying off, this way, the gore doesnt get old quick and inspires more awe moments.
-reduce gore to close ranged attacks, popping someones head off in closerange by a noscope snipershot is obviously more rewarding than doing it 50 meters away

gore doesnt make the GUNplay better, its just a reward...

anyways, just my 5cents
Posted By: alpha_strike

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/03/09 21:37

The answer is very simple. what gameplay do you focus? If you make a very fast shooting game like dark - splatter should be just a very intense p a r t of the game.

If you make a slow rocknroll zombie game like me - splatter is the main part of it.

I am very big fan of the postal games from running with scissors. If I would not see the expected high end violence - i would not play postal.

I am also a big fan of call of duty.
From this point of view, I expect loud shooting fx, big and dramatic scenes. Splatter is a part of cod - but not the main.
And so - the scenes are in the background but included.

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/04/09 15:06

What I think is interesting that CoD does exactly what darkinferno meant: There is blood, yes, but real gore effects can only be seen if you perform a headshot.
But you're right, in a zombie game like yours, splatter is very important. But don't make it too much; I generally think it's good to have an option to modifie the bloodyness.
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/04/09 15:19

the point is... if EVERYTIME you shoot an head.. it pops, it just becomes a part of the game... now, if out of 50 headshots, only once do you pop the head, people will be surprised, they'll wonder what they did and they'll play over and over again trying to redo it... once you dont make it obvious that you programmed it to be random...

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/04/09 18:34

Well, yes, that's true...
But with gore, I meant just those blood splatters on the walls.

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/04/09 18:54

I go not the random way.
Exploding heads are only possible with the right hard weapon,like the sniper - and - if the player is in the correct range to the zombie. So the splatter on the wall is only possible, if the zombie is in a short range to a wall and the bullet is fast enough to pass through the head. The splatter on the view is also only possible in direct range to the enemy. Sure, I only make phantasie calculations with variables, which I think, they could be correct.

The only action, the player will see everytime is much much blood
Posted By: goanna

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/05/09 08:26

Since I to am working on a FPS zombie game head explosions, arm and leg detachment are a big part. That's one reason there is a rating system in place today. I'd opt for blood and violence over explicit sex and swearing, (swearing in respect to sexual references). Splatter and gore effects really are game specific; Super Mario Bros. for example should not contain such effects; Valve's Left4Dead a must.

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/05/09 15:00

Well, having splatter effects in Super Mario titles indeed would be a bit too much for all these 6-year olds... laugh
Posted By: goanna

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/05/09 17:12

6 year olds, hell I palyed the shit out those Mario games when I was in my 20's, lol.

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/06/09 12:31

Huh, okay...

However, I think an option to toggle the violence wouldn't make sense; I would not let my son play such game even without blood, because the blood is surely not the only reason for the rating.

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/06/09 16:02

An option to toggle violence is just a lie.
Games like Postal, Call of Duty donīt belong in the hand of kids or psychic instable persons.

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/07/09 09:01

Exactly, that's what I mean.
Posted By: croman

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/07/09 09:10

postal, cod and such games with violence ingame and in cutscenes are different thing

but there's games where you could disable blood, or gore or at least minimize violence.
i had one 2d fighting game. some small dudes fighting. funny game, but with lots of blood. i mean, that was the game kids could play normally but no, they had to put the blood in. option to turn that off would've been useful.

and ofc you wont let your kid play such games till he becomes teenager or something like that.
kids can play sims, sports, and arcade games

Re: Splatter and gore effects - yes or no? - 06/07/09 09:15

That's another true point...
Same for the game to "Watchmen", dunno if someone knows it, was avaiable as download on steam...
Nice game actually, kind of fighting game too, but also with much blood. Would never let a child play this.
© 2024 lite-C Forums