Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes

Posted By: Nadester

Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/15/06 02:51

I was reading up the other day on Einstein's theory of relativity (which, as you know, has been tested) - particularly time travel paradoxes. A little background on the original experiment:

Quote:

In 1975, Professor Carrol Alley tested Einstein's theory using two synchronised atomic clocks. Carol loaded one clock onto a plane, which was flown for several hours, while the other clock remained on the ground. At the end of its flight, the clock on the plane was slightly behind the one on the ground. Time had actually slowed down for the clock on the plane. It had travelled forward in time.

Picture this: A person is in a train without any walls. Another person is standing outside the train. There is a flashlight on the floor of the train facing the ceiling. The train drives by the person standing outside the train. Hypothetically speaking, the person not on the train sees the light move dialognally (assuming the train was going VERY fast), while the person inside the train, relative to the motion of the train, ONLY sees the light move straight up. Thus, the person on the ouside, sees the light moving a further distance in the same amount of time as the person on the inside of the train (picture a right triangle). Now, keep in mind, light CANNOT be accelerated, the speed of light is a constant. So, how is it possible that the light moves a greater velocity in the same amount of time? This is because time slows down for the person inside the train. Freaky concept?

From the Pythagorean Theorem, the equation can be derived:

T = t1 / sqrt( 1 - ( ( x * c^2) / c^2 ) )

Where T = time of the object at rest, t1 = time of the moving object, c = the speed of light, and x = a variable to gauge how close the velocity is to the speed of light. (Note that the c^2's cancel out).

Now, say the train is going 99% the speed of light, thus x is .99. Time for the person on the train, t1, is 1 year. Plug it in. You'll find that time itself on Earth has passed by 7 years. Weird, eh? Now, try .999 - 20 years. .9999 - 70 years.

Now, even creepier - say you are going the speed of light. Plug it into the equation: sqrt(1-1) = 0. 1 / 0 = undefined. Undefined = infinity. The universe has literally ended, an infinite amout of time has past - time becomes irrelevent to you.

Continuing, what would happen if you go beyond the speed of light? While this appears to a barrier in our universe, if you CAN go beyond it, the opposite would happen - time would slow down to a reverse.

Lastly: The paradox. Imagine I discover a way to go beyond the speed of light, and I travel back in time. The year is 1970. My father in a senior in high school. I walk up to him, pull out a shotgun, and shoot him dead. Poof - I disappear, as my father was never allive to meet my mother, and thus I cease to ever have existed. But wait: If I havn't existed - then who could have shot my dad? Which means he'd still be allive, which means I'd be born, which means I'd go back in time and shoot him, which means I'd never have existed! Freaky? I think so.

That's all I have. Correct me if I'm made any mistakes, and please share any other paradoxes
Posted By: jcl

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/15/06 11:34

Going back in time isn't so easy because of the light speed limit. However, it's nevertheless possible under certain assumptions. Goedel has proven this in the 1940s.

One of the assumptions is that you have a strong rotating gravity field. If the field is strong enough and rotates fast enough, there are closed paths that take you not only through space, but also through time - even backwards.

Still, there is no paradoxon. You can not go back and kill your father. The reason is that when you go back with the above method, you also need to move in space - so you end up at a position so far from you father's location that you'd need a gun with a bullet faster than light to kill him. And this, according to relativity theory, is impossible.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/15/06 12:27

Quote:

Still, there is no paradoxon. You can not go back and kill your father. The reason is that when you go back with the above method, you also need to move in space - so you end up at a position so far from you father's location that you'd need a gun with a bullet faster than light to kill him. And this, according to relativity theory, is impossible.

Never thought about that, it makes sense .
Thanx for this explanation! Lol
Posted By: ROMAC

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/15/06 12:47

Quote:

What if it was a circular motion, wouldn't you then be closer to your father?
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/15/06 13:52

I guess you can only go very very very fast when going in a straight line from one point to another. A human being would not survive the G-forces of a circular motion at the required speed, so basically going in one line seems to me the only way it's possible...

Cheers
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/15/06 16:31

Did I understood that right? By moving the time changes? I mean the clock on the airplane could be slower because its pretty cold up there, and the colder it is the slower things go. But that is no change of time(?)

In anyway, what I am realy woundering about. Planets are moving realy fast and realy slow. And (their) movement depends from the view of other objects, what means there is no real speed. From point of view of itself itīs not moving. But time is going on. All planets time is going the same (or am I wrong). Doesnīt matter if you are on the moon or earth. But moon and earth move with different speed. And what about the sun. Itīs not moving(?) but it is reacting real fast with all itīs burnings and explosions. So why isnīt the suns time = 0?yeah, yeah, I know. The sun is moving for sure. But still itīs time is going same as on earth I guess when I watch these explosions there. In these movies they look slow because are so big and far away. Like watching the horizon when driving.
Posted By: capanno

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/15/06 17:28

Quote:

In 1975, Professor Carrol Alley tested Einstein's theory using two synchronised atomic clocks. Carol loaded one clock onto a plane, which was flown for several hours, while the other clock remained on the ground. At the end of its flight, the clock on the plane was slightly behind the one on the ground. Time had actually slowed down for the clock on the plane. It had travelled forward in time.

Couldnt it be that the one clock had a little malfunction? Maybe because of the flight and g-forces?
Posted By: Dan Silverman

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/15/06 17:52

Quote:

I mean the clock on the airplane could be slower because its pretty cold up there, and the colder it is the slower things go.

Quote:

Couldnt it be that the one clock had a little malfunction? Maybe because of the flight and g-forces?

No (on both accounts). The clock used was an atomic clock. Here is some information on atomic clocks:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/atomic-clock1.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_clock

The nature of an atomic clock is what would have caused Professor Alley to choose them for his experiment.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/15/06 22:23

How much time difference was this 'slightly behind'??

Quote:

Now, even creepier - say you are going the speed of light. Plug it into the equation: sqrt(1-1) = 0. 1 / 0 = undefined. Undefined = infinity. The universe has literally ended, an infinite amout of time has past - time becomes irrelevent to you.

Continuing, what would happen if you go beyond the speed of light? While this appears to a barrier in our universe, if you CAN go beyond it, the opposite would happen - time would slow down to a reverse.

While mathematically correct, I wonder if it's possible, to really reverse time ... It would mean 'past infinity and back within a year'? Sounds pretty creepy to me indeed. I also wonder how we could travel at those amazingly high speeds without getting teared apart because of the G-forces of acceleration. It would have to happen so fast that we either stay in one piece or don't notice the terrible amount of pain it causes... Would it be possible to create a ship that could fly at really really high speeds without causing much G-force trouble to a human? That and getting at light speed would be the first things to solve I think ....

Cheers

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/16/06 00:25

@Phemox, you can only feel a change in velocity, and thus the accleration would be the only problem. But whose to say you have to accelerate to the speed of light so fast that it is harmful to you? It doesn't matter as long as you get there.

@Capanno, pretty much what Dan said, but also the fact that this is supported mathematically, so it's no real surprise that the clocks were different.

@EX Citer, the speed that the planets move is nearly irrelevent compared to the speed of light. Similiarly, the difference in the speed of the sun and the speed of the planets is also quite irrelevent in comparison to the speed of light. (299,792,458 meters/sec) Still, time does move slower for us than for the sun, but the difference is so small that it's pretty much unnoticable.

Also, I forgot to mention, the process of time travel I stated above is known as time dialation, for anyone interested in further reading.

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/16/06 08:56

Very interesting subject, thanx for the process name.
Posted By: ulf

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/16/06 13:27

i think the problem is that you can not survive time travel as human beeing.

what i thought about is that if time travel happens there will be another big bang. because there has to be some kind of consistency in time.

i mean look, just assume you could travel back in time and take actions. even your presence would change the whole time after. just think someone sees you and wastes 2 secs seeing you. normally when you wouldnt have travelled back he would never have seen you. but now his day is another because of the 2 seconds. he might come late, miss the bus, excuse somewhere. get fired because of this and so on. his actions also change those of his surroundings and so on so this is basically a chain reaction.

the time after your visit would never be the same. this is why i think time travel should never ever happen!

maybe there are already some vistiors from the future among us trying to change something in history? why not? just to keep the discussion going

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/16/06 14:05

Because of the problem you bring up, ulf, is why some suppose that there are infinite "slices" of time or the ability for infinite "realities" and these "realities" hold every possibility. Therefore, if someone where to go back in time, though he or she had never been in that time before, then a new "slice" or "reality" would be created in which that person was/is in that time. The "reality" in which that person never went to that time and he reality where that person actually did go to that time would co-exist on separate planes of existance.
Posted By: Alberto

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/16/06 18:17

Well in case of an airplain all the clocks on board of satellites orbiting around the earth, are behind the clocks on the earth
In terms of seconds per year !
All GSM navigators would not work without time correction

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/16/06 18:44

Quote:

No. Read up on atomic clocks. I even provided links.

Quote:

Well in case of an airplain all the clocks on board of satellites orbiting around the earth, are behind the clocks on the earth
In terms of seconds per year !
All GSM navigators would not work without time correction

This has nothing to do with it at all. Both clocks used in the experiment were ATOMIC clocks and both were synced one to another. In the short period of time neither clock should be off at all but should have remained perfectly syncronized. They were not. As a result, at least a part of Einstein's theory seemed to be testing true.

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/16/06 19:14

In a long period you dont'need an atomic clock to verify Einstein's theory
The first evidence came from the space
An Anerican vessel remained in the space about 1 year travelling at an average speed 40.000 km\hour
On return the clocks on board,(non atomic) were 3.6 second behind the clocks on the earth

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/16/06 22:34

Another interesting idea: Professor Stephen Hawking's theory is that humankind will never reach the point where we can travel back in time. The reasoning is simple : where are the time travellers?

More evidence of time travel: These things called "Mazons" (Masons, Mazens, something like that, I can't find the correct spelling), are emitted from the sun. They have a halflife of less than a second, yet it takes 8minutes earth time for light to travel the 93,000,000 miles from the sun to earth. How is this possible without the Mazons completely decaying? The answer is simple, because they are travelling at such a high speed, time is much slower for them, and thus they survive. In essence, they are travelling into the future.
Posted By: ROMAC

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/17/06 01:03

Would you really want time travel (backwards especially) to even be invented? Think about it, life as we all know it would end if such a thing was to happen.
Posted By: William

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/17/06 02:49

Quote:

The answer is simple, because they are travelling at such a high speed, time is much slower for them, and thus they survive. In essence, they are travelling into the future.

It's not that time is "slower" for them, it just doesnt take em as long to get here, one half a second is exactly that, one half a second. This brings me to an mis-understanding. If you travel past the speed of light from Earth-PlanetX, time on earth would still be moving forward... it just doesn't take you long to reach PlanetX. How would this "reverse" time on Earth? Let's not worry about the mathematical conclusions here and think logically.

BTW - We have had time travellers arrive on earth. Though they never answered my above question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/17/06 04:49

Yes time is slowed down for them, and it has been proven mathematically, and supported physically. They go much slower than the speed of light, and for light to get to Earth, it takes Earth time 8 minutes. Like I said above, without time dialation, they would decay completely in a matter of seconds. And, travelling past the speed of light reverses the time for you, not for Earth. One theory which explains this concept is as Dan described above, infinite realities.

@ROMAC, well, not sure if I would want time travel to be invented, but with this concept it would allow people in the future to migrate to other planets (similiar to the american colonists in the 16th/17th centuries). It would allow you to travel 50 light years and age only a small fraction of that. Rest assure that people who leave will not return to Earth, as everything would be long gone by the time they got back.
Posted By: KoH

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/17/06 09:41

I have a few theories on time travel:
1) If time travel is possible it cannot transport people. Otherwise there would be too many time travellers among us.
2) Paradoxes: A spacetime paradox (kill your grandfather etc.) is just a scar on the face of the universe. Just as you don't die if you scar yourself, the universe doesn't dissapear because it is scarred.

OK, the second theory is a bit far fetched, but if the first one is wrong then the second has to be right, as a person going back in time would make a very subtle change that would cause a paradox.

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/17/06 10:17

Yes time is slowed down for them...
It would allow you to travel 50 light years and age only a small fraction of that...

Maybe I misunderstood what you are saying , but it is not like that
"Time slowing down " is symmetric
Suppose you are in the year 3000
A 20 years old astronaut leaves the earth travelling at the speed of the light
He reaches a planet 50 light\years far away from the earth and he immediatly comes back
When he arrives at home , he is 120 years old, he did not age just a fraction of time !
Nothing has changed from the point of view of the astronaut (because of time symmetry)
The point is that the time on the earth on his arrival is not 3120 but let's say

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/17/06 15:39

Well, keep in mind, that if he were actually going the speed of light, then according to the equation, the entire universe has begun and ended in an instant for him (time is no longer rellevent).

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/24/06 07:51

...for him (time is no longer rellevent).

I am not so sure about this point or maybe I misunderstood both you and koh

It seems to me that you can not get rid of our natural "human centric " philosphy
The theory claims that all the observers are equivalent
If an astronaut travels at 99 % of the speed of light, from his point of view nothing changes

For him, time is still relevant as before, universe is still there as before

Dont forget that some galaxis travels , from our point of view ,at the speed close to the speed of the light

However when he comes back to earth he finds himself in the future

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/24/06 20:55

I think there is a constance for time compared to space. like how faster you go, the slower the slower time goes. If you travel 1 mile in one hour, this hour will take longer than the hour if you travel 100.000 miles per hour. So basicly there must be a constant between space and time. A number like pi, phi or all the other whatevertheycalledinenglish-constants.

Maybe I'm just talking nonsense here lol but ok... just my thought .

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/24/06 21:39

If two or more observers measure the same event they can get different values of distance and duration but a combination of these values is a constant for all the observers

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/26/06 21:38

yes, and what is this constant called?

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/26/06 22:49

The speed of light
Posted By: Chameleon_Man

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/26/06 23:39

Could the fact that time becoming irrelevant at the speed of light explain why a Creator could have no beginning nor an end?
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/27/06 00:17

why did edit?> i didnt insult anyone..I was merely pointing out the absurdity of this last comment.

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/27/06 02:12

Matt I'd appreciate it if you don't screw over the one on topic thread in this section Please don't post useless spam/sarcasm.

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 06/30/06 17:36

yes, and what is this constant called?

The speed of light

No, it is not the speed of light

It is the : space_time interval

Suppose you have two events and one observer

The distance beetwen the two events is : AB
The time difference beetwen the events is T
In this period the light moves : AC = C*T

An other observer can measure different values of AB and T an consequently of AC
but the value :

AC^2 - AB^2

Is the same for any observer

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 07/02/06 10:42

Could the fact that time becoming irrelevant at the speed of light explain why a Creator could have no beginning nor an end?

This is in my opinion a common misconception of the theory along with the other supposed paradox.

The sentence

"I am travelling at the speed of the light "

It does not make any sense

But it make sense, the sentence

"You are travelling at the speed of the light "

All the observers consider themself "still"
The others are moving

From the point of view of all the obsrerver the light will be alwayes travelling much faster
Nobody can "catch" the light

For all the observers there is a beginning and and end
The theory of realtivity does not change our normal perception of the universe, space and time
Posted By: mk_1

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 07/04/06 15:12

Quote:

@Phemox, you can only feel a change in velocity, and thus the accleration would be the only problem. But whose to say you have to accelerate to the speed of light so fast that it is harmful to you? It doesn't matter as long as you get there.

I haven't read the rest of the thread so I dunno if Ulililila already took out his calculator. However assuming an acceleration of 4g we'd need only 88.4 days to reach the speed of light.

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 07/04/06 15:52

You won't reach the speed of light. But 4g during 88.4 days ship's time will get you to almost 0.75 c. As the time on earth runs faster, after 88.4 days earth time the ship has only reached 0.7 c.

http://www.unendliches.net/german/weite.htm
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 08/16/06 14:30

G forces and time travel are the same thing
Posted By: Grimber

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 08/17/06 01:06

they have done the atomic clock expiraments with the shuttle ( much faster than an airplane). Thier computers have to actualy adjust for the "time loss" differance between their systems and ground systems to keep them in sync ( not the music group )

the paradox in time travel is funny since the only way that theoreticly possible to exceed the speed of light is to use a gravity well so intenst that light cannot escape it ( a black hole) and slingshot through/around the gravity well ( thus an escape velocity faster than light can acheive )

of course to accelerate up TO the speed of light to do the slingshot, shifts one forward in time. so by the time you slignshotted into the past and decelerated below speed of light ( thus forward in time again as well ) you would ultimatly equal out the passage of time coming out to where you would be passing yourself going in.
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 08/17/06 15:07

The other problem would be that you'd become infinitely massive and infinitely small at the same time. At least, I think that's how it works.

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 08/17/06 18:56

yep. thats where it begins to takes theory of relativity beyond physics into philosophy. I always wondered if that was the goal, Einstein was tring to use to scientificly prove the unprovable? Yet its totaly missed by creationist, whom dismiss science because they see it as its intent to disprove their faith.

We, are not 3 dimentional beings, but 3 1/2 dimentions. time being the 4th dimention yet we are locked in a one way linear direction on that dimention. Locked into it because of our physicality.

Now, exceed the speed of light ( which is by all NATURAL physics impossible) we enter the unnatural. as you pointed out the realms of infinate. infinate mass, infinate size ... something our physial form, limited by laws of nature cannot survive ( the atom can't survive the infinate).

what ever is left over is not bound by the laws of natural order, not bound by time, space, gravity etc as we know and understand things. In most societies, cultures and philosiphy, we call that state of existance, the spirit, ghost, imortality, whatever ou want to call it...

so, somehow, death is the instantanious transition from 0 to lightpseed+ ?
afterall many people with near death experiances see a tunnel of light... and seeing figures in the light... and Einstein showed that to travel near the speed of light you would develope a 'tunnel vision' seeing the future, present and past in a tunnel like perception. the tunnel would be blue at the center of your perception then as you reached the edges the color would shift to red, blue is normaly brighter and more intense of a light to our perception then red. so as you die you acceerate so fast your seeing people of your future ( in front of you) , present ( half ways in your field of vision) and past ( out to the edges of your circular vision) all at once as you make the transion to a non physicial existance?

If "I" was a creationist, i would be hot on the trail to pick up where Einstien left off to attempt to prove SCIENTIFICLY life after death and so on...

being that I'm not. I find it very intresting till my head hurts, then I go get a soda and watch Police Academy

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 08/18/06 09:23

I don't think that Relativity Theory affects philosophy or religion. It is just an extension to Newton's law of gravity and inertia, no less and no more.

This is different with Quantum Theory, which indeed has a great philosophical impact by introducing concepts unfamiliar to human logic, like the Uncertainity Principle.

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 08/18/06 11:15

nope, it directly can't because Relativity is bounded by the laws of physics, but it pushs right up to that edge. The boundry between the natrual and unnatrual, light and time.

The problem was Einstein didn't like undefinable factors, as in why he didn't get along well with Quantum Theory which just assumed factors that can't be defined but having set limits. ( how can you have an undefinable factor but it has definable limits?)

Einsteins examination of Minkowski’s Four-Dimensional Space which he assumes the "imaginary" where the rules of 3dimentional space apply to 4th dimentional space, adding in new unknown, but definable factors that lay outside the natural laws of 3Dimentional space but within the laws of 4D space. Our only limitaion then in understanding 4D space is being able to identify the 4D factors.

I think a well known saying fits:

"When you dismiss the impossible, whatever you have left, however improbable, is the answer"

So I think in the end he was trying to do just this. By proving everything else ( of 3D natrual laws), whats left over is the factors in 4D then by scientific study define these improbable factors that define 4D space.

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 08/18/06 11:45

The quote is from Conan Doyle - and indeed that could have been the motto of the development of Special Relativity.

However, I am not aware of undefinable or improbable factors in physics. Relativity still assumes that space is three dimensional, the forth row in the metric matrix is just time. The "imaginary" factors are also nothing to be worried about. "Imaginary" just means the square root of minus one. Imaginary factors are a very familiar concept to physicists and mathematicians, often used to describe cyclic phenomena in nature, f.i. a pendulum.

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 08/18/06 12:35

Quote:

However, I am not aware of undefinable or improbable factors in physics.

exactly!!! Nothing, even in Einsteins view was undefinable. if it can be messured or observed, so his arguments against quantum theory. if an unknown has a limits, then how can it be undefinable, by definition of "definition"?

SO anything that can occur, be encountered, experianced HAS to be definable ( even if at first we don't understand it). If we elminate all the definables and still have SOMETHING left over, we want to call it undefinable. But in truth its definable, because we know it is there. We know soemthing is there because we compair everything we encounter to our many messuring sticks. Its bright, dark, tall, small, round, square, fast, slow.......
alerady we are defining the undefined...

we just having assigned an identity to the grouped definitions. Factors of the 4thD are the areas of confusion we have no yardsticks to messure them by, so we also lump them into the 'unknowns'.

So if we can identify all the known defintions what is left over is the undefined 4thD defintions. The definitions that fall out of the scope of Natural Laws of the 3rdD but fall under the natural laws of the 4thD. And then accodring to Einstein we should beable to then identify these unknown 4thD defintions ( with scientifc methodology of observation, compairson, exeramintation etc....) untill we DO have those messuring sticks for the 4thD

Relativity is just a steping stone in the process of elimination

Re: Einstein's Relativity -> Paradoxes - 08/18/06 13:27

religion is the search for divine in one self, not to find god, but to to define our own divinity through association to god. ( we hang in higher social circles then the apes )

Philosophy is teh seach for god though asking questions science and scientific methodologies cannot answer.

Science is Ultimatly, the search for god him/her/it self through the process of elimination.

god, we are taught is everything, everwhere, infinate.
so by the proces of elimination by the laws of relativity, nature,the qunatifiable, messurable, identifiable, we elminate everything that can be identified, messured, quantified, understood.

Leaving left over the totaly undefinable, unidentifiable... the aspects etc that are unique... ONLY to god. because we ahve eliminated all the finite, all thats left is the infinate.. god
© 2024 lite-C Forums