Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll....

Posted By: Nardulus

Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/06/08 15:36

Rock and Roll used to be cool, it used to be rebellious, heck Rock and Roll even effected political change....

Now it seems trivialized as a party game. People singing lyric's that may have serious meaning to the writer and fans, are now being sung and trivialized at Rock and Roll Band parties, by people playing plastic toys...

What do you think? Is this the last gasp for Rock and Roll...

In order for a new cool to happen with teens, do they have to kill they old cool of Rock and Roll....

Ken
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/06/08 15:48

the problem is rock and roll is just like any type of music, rebellion is gotten used to, so now rock is this fun thing to listen to with less meaning then before, but something else needs to come in and take its place... whether it be a different variation of rock, different type or music, or even something completely different (hint hint, satire video games, hint).
Posted By: cro_games

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/07/08 05:35

Originally Posted By: Nardulus

Rock and Roll used to be cool, it used to be rebellious, heck Rock and Roll even effected political change....

Now it seems trivialized as a party game. People singing lyric's that may have serious meaning to the writer and fans, are now being sung and trivialized at Rock and Roll Band parties, by people playing plastic toys...

What do you think? Is this the last gasp for Rock and Roll...

In order for a new cool to happen with teens, do they have to kill they old cool of Rock and Roll....

Ken

used to be cool???
Rock and Roll is cool..omg..Guns'N'Roses??? AC/DC??? Queen??? Red hot chili peppers??? OMG..

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/07/08 07:16

Guns'N'Roses? you like gunsnroses?????? gah! what has this world come to??!?!?!?!

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/07/08 12:15

Yes!..I like Rock and Metal..Metalica,Iron Maiden,Annihilator...you?

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/07/08 13:09

Quote:

used to be cool???
Rock and Roll is cool..omg..Guns'N'Roses??? AC/DC??? Queen??? Red hot chili peppers??? OMG..

Agreed, very cool....

Once the music, is turned into something that can be played on plastic toy guitars and plastic fake drums it's not cool.. IMHO

Now that cool music is a party game for 10 year old's, thats served with cake and ice cream... Uncool.....

Ken

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/07/08 13:10

eh,i like them sorta, but i either prefer something like led zepplin or the rolling stones (older rock), or I prefer 90's grunge or alternative nirvana, alice in chains - eve 6, third eye blind etc or punk rock and some newer metal such as avenged sevenfold, mindless self indulgence, mcr, etc.

thats the rock types i like, but i do like mellow music as well but ill leave that to a different thread.

guns'n'roses just gets to me, axel rose imo has a really whiny and annoying voice that just... gah it grates my soul in a bad way. I do like slash tho :P but who couldnt.
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/07/08 17:41

Nardalus

I definitly agree with you but this is a natural evolution

The beginning , the 50' : original but rough music
The golden years ,the 60' : original and sophisticated music
The decadence from the 70': sophisticated but plastic music
Afterwards : noise ( well I am an old guy wink )

Let's go to jazz, now

Dixiland : exciting but childish music
Charlie Parker and the others : the top
Free jazz : no comment

Same consideration for classic music

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/07/08 17:45

Originally Posted By: AlbertoT
Nardalus

I'm almost 18,you guys?

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/07/08 17:48

Well I am older but I did not see Fat Domino alive smile
I listen to his records

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/07/08 17:50

Quote:

Good Point. My feeling is, new technology, I.E. Rock Band and it's plastic toys is accelerating the demise of any cool music that is placed on it.

Soul Music, Jazz, Blues, etc... is going to be artisticly cheapened when its played on toy instruments and at childerns parties.... Is this a good thing for the art of music?

Ken

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/07/08 17:50

almost 20 (next month ! )

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/07/08 18:07

Quote:

Good Point. My feeling is, new technology, I.E. Rock Band and it's plastic toys is accelerating the demise of any cool music that is placed on it.

Well I am not sure to get your point
Put it this way
Rock is a " guitar " music
A guitar has 6 strings
It is hard for me to beleive that someone 60 years later can really make an original " guitar " music
It is a matter of fact that the great music has alwayes get along with the progress of technology which put at disposal new istruments to the musicians

You are american and I love country music but have you ever listened to the original country music ?
I mean not the modern country rock music, played with modern instruments, I mean the "true" country music
A nightmare

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/10/08 03:14

I was on the David Pierce concert("SHOW!!!") yesterday..it was so cool!
Has anyone been on his concert?

Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/17/08 21:25

Originally Posted By: Nardulus
Quote:

used to be cool???

Agreed, very cool....

Once the music, is turned into something that can be played on plastic toy guitars and plastic fake drums it's not cool.. IMHO

Now that cool music is a party game for 10 year old's, thats served with cake and ice cream... Uncool.....

Ken

I agree, but does it really matter that much?? I mean, Eminem was very cool when he still was pretty much underground, aggressive and not as mainstream fake-funny as he's trying to be now... according to a lot of more "serious" hiphop listeners. I don't know if it really matters when it comes to his music in general.

It's just an example of course, but I do like his older music a lot better than his newer almost mainstream orientated stuff... I don't think the same ever really happened to G'n R and Red Hot Chili Peppers though, so it depends a lot on the bands or artists themselves. Some seem to hardly be even influenced by their own success, others seem to sacrifice their uniqueness, style and so on just to earn even more money. The latter category artists usually quickly become uncool in my book.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/17/08 23:08

Progressive rock all the way!
Go muse!

Wait, this thread wasn't about promoting your fav band?
:P
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Has Rock Band sucked the cool out of Rock and Roll.... - 08/17/08 23:57

Progressive rock? Only if it's good, about 80% is crap. wink
© 2024 lite-C Forums