Dino/bird evolution: new evidence

Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 08:12

According to a new paper, scientists have actually found protein in the form of collagen in a TRex fossil. And upon analysis of these ancient proteins, they have been found to most closly resemble proteins found in the modern chicken....

Quote:

The analysis shows that T-rex collagen makeup is almost identical to that of a modern chicken - this corroborates a huge body of evidence from the fossil record that demonstrates birds are descended from meat-eating dinosaurs," said Angela Milner, the associate keeper of palaeontology at the Natural History Museum in London. "So, it is very satisfying that the molecules have provided a positive test for the morphology."

While not DNA, proteins have certain specific characteristics that can be used to trace ancestry like DNA, and in this case the results seems to be quite certain: birds are descendants of a specific branch of the dinosauria (as predicted by the fossil record).

I'm curious as to how creationists will dispute this new evidence... the probababilty of a theory being correct is made much greater when very different strands of evidence lead to the same conclusion.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 09:43

Nice result that supports the decendence of birds from a branch of dinosaurs.
But not a proof, as certain proteins can emerge unlinked in many animal species.

There are better facts that support the link, such as properties of the skeleton.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 11:06

Quote:

I'm curious as to how creationists will dispute this new evidence... the probababilty of a theory being correct is made much greater when very different strands of evidence lead to the same conclusion.

They will ignore it, no doubt about it. Remember when they once said something a long the lines of 'yeah, but if there are intermediate species, there should have been a wale with leg-like fins', when scientists actually discovered the fossil of such species, they never talked about it again, but in doing so also completely ignored it.

Damocles eventhough you are right, most creationists don't believe/understand the morphological evidence, eventhough that's indeed some of the best evidence. (especially rudimentary bones and structures imho)

Cheers
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 11:24

Well I suppose that the most important evidence in favour of evolutionism, assuming that there are still serious scientists who beleive in creationism, is the genetic \ fossil \ morphological comparison
All the species which are supposed to have a common origin based on the fossil and which have a similar look , have also similar DNA
Even more important
A few species which are nowadays morphologically very different but having a supposed common origin based on fossils , they have also similar DNA
The modification of DNA caused a substantial modification just of their external look
This is, in my opinion, a tremendous and probably a final evidence in favour of evolutionism

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 12:26

Quote:

assuming that there are still serious scientists who beleive in creationism

Good point, since scientists who ignore evidence are off course not real scientists. No pun intended,

Cheers
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 12:40

Quote:

And upon analysis of these ancient proteins, they have been found to most closly resemble proteins found in the modern chicken....

First of all I always have a good laugh when I think of trex devolving into chickens. The very idea is so funny. Especially when you consider the pure ferocity and killing power of the tyrasnnasaurus rex compared to the "run like hell" battle plan of the domestic chicken.

Second I wonder how they found proteins in a dinosaur that was supposed to exist 225 to 160 million years ago. How was it preserved for so long?

Third they also found proteins which matched a newt and a frog, are you telling me that on the trex's evolutionary path to a chicken, he evolved from a newt to a frog also?

Fourth it makes no sense for a trex to evolve into a chicken. Presupposing that evolution even works outside of species, which it doesnt, but presupposing it did, what selective advantage would a trex have for becoming a small chicken? The trex already was at the top of its foodchain, it did not have selective pressure to evolve so.

Fifth, the dinosaurs dissapeared rapidly, there are no links to trex de-evolution. Please show the diagram which shows all of the connections between the trex and the chicken, that would be a funny one.

sixth, the chicken itself is a contradiction to selection, what possible survival benefit does a chicken have? To be eaten? What is this, survival of the yummy?

Its ridiculous. Im eating an egg & cheese sandwich right now. Yay T rex! Your eat em eggs are tasty!

The entire dino to bird thing is stupid. Basically they have two un-explainable facts that they need to put together:

1)There is no account of the origin of birds
2)The dino's dissappeared all at once

Someone with very weak logical skills has tried to connect these two facts. If you can beleive that then they can pretty much get you to believe anything.

Hello....your stupid! Heh heh heh How does it feel??
Posted By: zazang

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 13:44

Yes I'm not a creationist but TREX-> chicken is funny(I dread to even simulate that conversion in animation)..Its like saying...I have carbon or hydrogen and so does an algae..wow we are brothers !
Also,2 things :-
1).For two such widely independent species,it could even mean independent evolution of that collagen makeup.
2).why are the birds considered descendents and not meat eating creatures ?

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 13:45

Nitro was that a serious post?... i hope not..

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 13:59

Quote:

what selective advantage would a trex have for becoming a small chicken?

NITRO

I do hope you are joking
Even a little boy knows that the survival of the fittest must not be understood in terms of dimensions , claws and ferocity
If a Trex must eat a ton meat a day to survive while a chicken is happy with some seeds then a chicken can survive in certain enviromental conditions while the trex is bound to die

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 13:59

Quote:

Nitro was that a serious post?... i hope not..

about 65% serious/35% joke. Why? Are you not laughing?

You should be, because any supposed connection between a trex and a chicken is a JOKE. Plain and simple. And if you believe that a connection exists I have to conclude that you are having some serious neuron misfirings. Sorry.

Address my points please, they are quite serious.

Here is a joke though...how do you suppose trex drumstick would taste deep fried with a little mashed potatoes, bisquits and gravy?

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 14:08

The connection dino \ birds is out of discussion
Dino's were not only Trex
There were Dinos as small as chickens
Recentltly in Cina a small dino with remainings of feathers has been found

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 14:09

Quote:

Even a little boy knows that the survival of the fittest must not be understood in terms of dimensions , claws and ferocity
If a Trex must eat a ton meat a day to survive while a chicken is happy with some seeds then a chicken can survive in certain enviromental conditions while the trex is bound to die

edit:Alberto rebuttal deleted, just not worth my time at this point. Please forgive me, I just simply do not have time to educate you on the very same theory your trying to defend.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 14:13

Again you misunderstand
You are the little boy, not me

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 14:16

ok Im the little boy.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 14:28

Quote:

For two such widely independent species,it could even mean independent evolution of that collagen makeup

@zazang
Just to give you an idea:
Of all the organisms in the sequence database, the one that matched T. rex the closest was the chicken. Now, before assuming that this would be strong evidence that birds are related to dinosaurs, it must be put into perspective. The sequence similarity between the T. rex and the chicken was 58% ,while it was only 51% similar to both frogs and newts. This compares with a reported 81% similarity between humans and frogs, and 97% between humans and cows.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 14:54

Quote:

The entire dino to bird thing is stupid. Basically they have two un-explainable facts that they need to put together:

Someone with very weak logical skills has tried to connect these two facts. If you can beleive that then they can pretty much get you to believe anything.

1.) That's not true at all, there are dozens of fossils of dinosaurs with birds traits, even right up to having feathers and being able to fly.

2.) Most dinosaur species went extinct indeed around that one moment (probably a meteor), others did probably follow soon after because of the global change of climates/habitats, but a lot of species actually survived. Wether this means the 'bird-dinos' were already enough steps evolved to survive loose from their dinosaur ancestors is very likely. If you're thinking about T-rex-sized birds, that's not what they were, infact after the meteor mostly mammal species and small species survived. A bird or rather a chicken-like species would almost have the best chance to survive in a post-meteor impact environment.

Cheers

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 15:23

Quote:

That's not true at all, there are dozens of fossils of dinosaurs with birds traits,

First of all, these dozens that you refer to are full of doubtful or uncertain ambiguity, most of them debated from all points of researchers secular and creationist alike especially from obscure or indistinct morphology.

Secondly, of the 329 families of land vertebrates, 79% are represented in the fossil record-there are millions of fossils in museums representing over 250,000 species. telling me that you have "dozens" of intermediate fossils really doesnt seem to be plausible from a standpoint of proportions. i.e. you need thousands. Furthermore intermediates should be more plentiful than other types because if the selection/mutation theory was true(which it cannot possibly be) there would be all sorts of monstrosities around.

Quote:

even right up to having feathers and being able to fly.

let me let you in on a little biological secret: if they have feathers and can fly...they are probably birds.Shhh, dont tell anyone

Quote:

Wether this means the 'bird-dinos' were already enough steps evolved to survive loose from their dinosaur ancestors is very likely. If you're thinking about T-rex-sized birds, that's not what they were, infact after the meteor mostly mammal species and small species survived

This is funny. Please elaborate on this fairy tale some more. So all the bunnys and chickens survived? Very good. Why? Because they were the most fit? How? And how does the turkey and the duck fit into all this? You have my curiosity. Why did the chicken decide that it would be better for it to not be able to fly worth a crap?

Oh and please tell me all about this meteor, where did it strike? What evidence do you have for it?

Plus you guys havent even begun to address my other objections, and what about about the issue at hand, this issue of chicken dna in trex?

Why did it preserve for what, 65 million years?
What did you suppose the temperature of fossil was? Wouldnt it make a difference if the fossil was frozen or in the rocks? I think you will find that the fossil's temperature will make a BIG difference. However, the difference will never make it great enough to have lasted 65 million years, or 120 million years...

Young earth creationists will be happy.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 15:53

Quote:

The entire dino to bird thing is stupid.

Oh sorry, I should have realized..

Just because something may not seem obvious or probable at first glance doesn't mean its not correct. What about the germ theory of disease? It doesnt seem likely that terrible diseases like plague and typhus are caused by tiny invisible creatures...how can a tiny animal hurt a big animal like that?

Quote:

Basically they have two un-explainable facts that they need to put together:

Someone with very weak logical skills has tried to connect these two facts.

no account of bird origins? Maybe not in the Bible, but there is in the fossil record...

While it is true that most dinosaurs do disappear at the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary, this doesnt mean much for the bird evolution question as the development/evolution of the avian line had already taken place by the time of the K-T boundary.

One question I have for you: the notion of dinosaur mass extinction comes only from the fossil record...don't you and other creationists reject the fossil record? If not, why are some parts reliable and not others? Are only those parts of the record that go against your narrow interpretations of history wrong?

If that's what you believe, then you are not one to talk about weak logic--that being a prime example of bad argument. You reason from a priore knowledge: i.e. since you dont believe in evolution, the fossils record that contradicts your belief must be wrong.

And dont try to throw it back at me and say the reverse, that since I believe in evolution I dismiss other parts of the fossil record. I dont dismiss any of the fossil record, and each fact or implication must be dealt with in a coherent thoery. Nothing in the fossil record contradicts the main lines of evolutionary thoery.

On the contrary, Darwinian evolutionary thoery seems to be only explanation for the trends observable in the fossils.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 16:37

Quote:

the notion of dinosaur mass extinction comes only from the fossil record...don't you and other creationists reject the fossil record? If not, why are some parts reliable and not others? Are only those parts of the record that go against your narrow interpretations of history wrong?

We are trying to understand it just like you BUt we wont make absolute_truth out of speculation.

Quote:

don't you and other creationists reject the fossil record?

Christianity (and other religions) is a faith which has nothing to do with physical observation. I dont believe in God because of my knowledge of the fossil record. I beleive in God because of "ideas" which are observable, yet not directly observable. 'Ideas' can only be observed through the actions they produce in people and events. That is the Christian's science. Faith itself is one of these 'ideas'. Within Christianity there are 'ideas' which are so strong that they are 'alive', God is one of these ideas. That is about the best explanation I can give to someone with a purely naturalistic, materialistic, deterministic viewpoint such as yourself. I dont think you will ever understand Christianity otherwise. Of course I could elaborate on this much further but it seems to be the topic of another thread.

Quote:

It doesnt seem likely that terrible diseases like plague and typhus are caused by tiny invisible creatures...how can a tiny animal hurt a big animal like that?

Pretty easy to observe those little baddies, just use a microscope. I have never had a problem with this likelihood.

Quote:

While it is true that most dinosaurs do disappear at the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary, this doesnt mean much for the bird evolution question as the development/evolution of the avian line had already taken place by the time of the K-T boundary.

Actually that is contradictory to Phemox's idea of catacylsmic environment changes which bring cataclysmic changes, you are back to square one with gradualism again and the pervading question of why the trex would need to evolve to a bird? If there is no reason for selection to occur it does not occur. However, Phemox is giving an accurate reflection of Neo-Darwinism, and a phenomena called punctuated equilibrium.

The dinosaurs dissappeared quickly? Why? There is one theory which Phemox is reflecting which seems to at least show an evolutionary result.

With your avian line being evolved before the dissappearence of the dinosaur there becomes no reason for the dinos to evolve into birds.

You see the problem? It is kind of a tautology at this point.

Of course this all presupposes that mutation can even cause this kind of changes which clearly it cannot. Natural selection can only select for genes which exist in it's gene pool. How did the genes get there to begin with?
Posted By: Irish_Farmer

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 16:45

The fact that there is such a little gap in the protein similarities between such varying orders of organisms, magnifies the fact that we simply cannot make ANY claims to certainty. 58% or 51%? Any honest person will admit that there is no way to extrapolate ANYTHING mildly certain from evidence like that.

This is especially true when you note that their comparisons were largely incomplete. How do we know that we won't find another animal that's closer?

Its ok. Your creation myth doesn't have to have ALL the answers, guys. I just think this whole deal is being so overhyped that it kind of adds credence (as far as I'm concerned) to my personal theory that evolution is a psychological replacement for other creation myths. Even if the theory is true, a good portion of it has been allowed to become mythology.

That's all.
Posted By: capanno

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 17:38

I find this whole thing hilarious. Ladies and gentlemen, the cream of evolution evidence. Lets hope people with a slightly larger IQ than a 4 year old will realize how ridiculous this is.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/14/07 18:50

Quote:

so all the bunnys and chickens survived?
Quote:

yes

Quote:

Very good. Why? Because they were the most fit?
Quote:

yes

Quote:

How?
Quote:

Diet

Quote:

And how does the turkey and the duck fit into all this?
Quote:

see above

Quote:

tell me all about this meteor, where did it strike?
Quote:

Yucatan coast off shore

Quote:

What evidence do you have for it?
Quote:

Dive

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/15/07 00:58

Quote:

I find this whole thing hilarious. Ladies and gentlemen, the cream of evolution evidence. Lets hope people with a slightly larger IQ than a 4 year old will realize how ridiculous this is.

I dont know how "large" your IQ is, but that's not really the point is it?

Such statements dont constitute valid arguments. If I criticized Einstein's theory of General Relativity by saying: "I hope everyone who is not stupid realizes how dumb Einstein's thoery is", does this really convince you that it's a bad thoery? I should hope not.

You cant dismiss a theory or evidence because it seems "rediculous" to you. Many things in science sound rediculous, like giant rocks falling from the sky (many people couldn't accept meteors in the past because the idea seemed silly), or germ theory (the idea of "invisible" animals killing poeple seemed fantastical).
Posted By: zazang

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/15/07 02:30

I believe in evolution,but this TRex -> chicken still sounds funny..why do we assume that TRex evolved to chicken...it may be vice versa or they may have just independently evolved.
Posted By: Kinji_2007

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/15/07 02:40

We walk by faith and not by sight. Ohter than that I would suggest that you search for God as hard as you searched for evidence that He does not exist. If you came froma monkey then its all ok... if there is a God then you are in trouble. At the very least consider both sides. ;-)
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/15/07 03:43

Kinji, I respect you, but please don't go around promoting religeon...

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/15/07 04:46

Quote:

Kinji, I respect you, but please don't go around promoting religeon...

Yeah, God forbid.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/15/07 08:14

Honestly I am astonished

In other threads crationists, particulay Iris Farmer, had alwayeys used reasonable arguments , although to defend a theory which is simply impossible to defend
Even Vatican has officially rejected the creationism

In this thread, crationists really touched the bottom of ignorance ( or bad faith) trying to make an easy irony about scientific evidences

Do you find ridicoulus that the trex turned into a chicken ?

Well I make you laugh again
Elephants come from a mammal as big as a mouse
There are fossils and genetic evidence to support this theory

You simply seem to ignore the key factor : Time

If our mouse inreases in weight, let's say 1% each generation , thanks to favourable conditions, than in 1000 generations, a fraction of time in the history of evolution, our mouse increases in weight about 21.000 times

Apart from that , nobody claimed that chicken come from trex

Big dinos died, very likely, because of the fall of a huge meteorit near Yucatan
The concentration of dust in the atmosphere increases consequently the irradiation of the sun decreases
Big dinos died while small mammals and small dinos could survive thanks to their lower energy consumption ( better diet )

The descendece of birds from some type dinos ( not the trex ) is proved by thousand fossil evidences
This genetic test is simply a further confirmation

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/15/07 08:47

Quote:

We walk by faith and not by sight. Ohter than that I would suggest that you search for God as hard as you searched for evidence that He does not exist

I dont understand what you are saying.. science is not concerened about whether God exists.. evolution doesnt attempt to prove or disprove God's existence; its unrelated. Evolutionary theory is an attempt to make sense of physical evidence.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/15/07 08:59

By a creationist approach, one could say
"oh, how rediculus that the "yorkshire terrier" is a decentent of the wulf,
such a small dog, this is rediculus"

But dogs are probably the best life example of evolution.
(though a much faster "human controlled" evolution, since the selection and mutation is
controlled by the needs of man for the required purposes of the dogs,
but the biological mechanisms are the same)
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/15/07 09:02

Quote:

exactly! i didn't read the whole thread and only a short german news article about the topic but it was about dinosaurs being the ancestors of birds and not trex being the ancestor of chicken.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/15/07 09:55

Yes, certainly T. Rex is not the direct grandpa of a chicken. All this evidence shows is that there is a probable relationship between therapoda, part of the dinosaur clade that includes the mostly carnivorous, bipedal dinosaurs--like T. Rex, Compsognathus, etc--and Aves (all modern birds).

While T Rex was a giant, size has very little to do with evolutionary relationships. The little kittycat that may live in your house is related to the giant Siberian tiger, and even the monsterous Sabertooth cat.

Compsognathus, a therapod dinosaur related to T. Rex, was rather small, in fact about the size of a chicken.

The T. Rex protein was used in this comparison becasue its the only example of dinosaur proteins currently known to have survived to our time (the proteins were found in a mass of collagen found in a T. Rex fossil bone. As unlikely as it seems, there it was. You have to accept it or assume the scientists in this case are lying).

Obviously T. Rex is not the closest ancestor to chickens; in fact it's very distant. However the likelihood of identical proteins occuring in totally unrelated organisms is very low, as there an enormous number of possible proteins. Also, considering the many morphological similarities between therapods and modern birds, the chances of the relationship being coincidence go down dramatically--making the evidence very strong.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/16/07 03:50

Quote:

However the likelihood of identical proteins occuring in totally unrelated organisms is very low

Indeed, which explains why these proteins are barely more than half alike.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/16/07 04:33

I did read about this in an science magazine. Though it just told about the collagen and that it is being under heavy examination/analysis.

This is something new. But it just shows the power of evolution. So much has happened since that meteor made it's first headshot.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/16/07 07:08

Quote:

Indeed, which explains why these proteins are barely more than half alike.

Where did it say that?

in any case the study found that the protein sequences were most similar to modern chickens, not that they were exactly the same. However, this result strengthens the aleady strong case of dinosaur->bird evolution, previously infered by other means..

it seems that every new piece of evidence is treated with contempt by creationists; being incapable of looking at data objectively, they are merely hacks who distort or dismiss evidence they dont like.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/16/07 07:54

matt, you dont understand your own theory. Evolution does not predict or require comparative anatomy or genetic similarity.

Quote:

By a creationist approach, one could say
"oh, how rediculus that the "yorkshire terrier" is a decentent of the wulf,
such a small dog, this is rediculus"

You dont seem to know how genetics work. Wolves and dogs are the same kind of animal.

When God created them, he told the to bring forth after their kind, not species. Animals were made with a big gene pool, so they will be able to adapt wherever they go. This is devolution, the loss of information. When an animal adapts to a certain environment, it might seem like its evolving, but its doing the opposite.

Birds and reptiles have very different designs. Im not even going to start with a list.

Comparative anatomy is not evidence for a common ancestor, but a common designer.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/16/07 10:42

Quote:

Comparative anatomy is not evidence for a common ancestor, but a common designer.

No, not at all, evidence for a designer would be finding his tools or something, but not finding a comparative anatomy. Evolution isn't random, but there's no 'design' either, unless 'adaptation through natural selection' can be considered 'design'. But that's designs without a designer, and that's not 'designing'.

Quote:

Wolves and dogs are the same kind of animal.

'Family' and 'species' are not the same thing... The dog family, Canidae, is a diverse group of 34 species ranging in size and proportion from squat, dachshund-like bushdogs to the long-legged maned wolf...

http://www.kc.net/~wolf2dog/wayne2.htm

Cheers

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/16/07 14:15

Quote:

matt, you dont understand your own theory. Evolution does not predict or require comparative anatomy or genetic similarity.

of course it does...

Quote:

Birds and reptiles have very different designs

Different in some ways, but similar in others.. in fact it's the similarities that are important, if they can be shown to be "derived characteristics".

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/17/07 18:12

Quote:

it seems that every new piece of evidence is treated with contempt by creationists; being incapable of looking at data objectively, they are merely hacks who distort or dismiss evidence they dont like.

Likewise, it seems like evolutionists like to overexaggerate basically irrelevant data such as this for the reasons you listed.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/17/07 18:17

Quote:

Likewise, it seems like evolutionists like to overexaggerate basically irrelevant data such as this for the reasons you listed.

It's not even possible to be more ignorant than this Irish ... geesh .. talking about h o p e l e s s. What ever happened to your way of replying with arguments anyways?

Cheers

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/17/07 20:23

Quote:

basically irrelevant data

yeah brilliant insight.. anyhting you dont like or understand is irrelevant. I started this thread to see if any creationists had some real arguments about this, but its seems they dont.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/18/07 00:41

@Matt
Quote:

I started this thread to see if any creationists had some real arguments about this, but its seems they dont.

bullshit. I already gave you plenty of arguments, many of which you havent responded to. All you did is harp on the fact that I thought a t.rex->chicken connection was funny. Thats not_all_I_had. And just because its a funny image is no reason to discount the evidence, I realise that, everybody who is honest realises that. But thats not the main point as to why this evidence is so useless(and it is practically useless).

The main reason is that of the similarity between the proteins. The similarity really says nothing. Basically youve got a 58% similarity between the t.rex and a chicken. Thats no big deal. Youv'e got a 51% similarity with the same t.rex DNA and a frogs and newts.

So thats the data. Now you have to interpret that data. There is no way to start making evolutionary connections based on what they have found. Why? Because there is a reported 81% dna similarity between humans and frogs, and a 97% similarity between the dna of humans and cows.

So what you need to do is put your "evidence" in perspective.

Now you wonder where Im getting these percentages? They come from science magazine issue 316 which is where the original research was published, you can get an account and read it yourself.

Schweitzer, M.H., Suo, Z., Avci, R., Asara, J.M., Allen, M.A., Arce, F.T., and Horner, J.R. 2007. Analyses of soft tissue from Tyrannosaurus rex suggest the presence of protein, Science 316(5822): 277–280.

Quote:

Also, considering the many morphological similarities between therapods and modern birds, the chances of the relationship being coincidence go down dramatically--making the evidence very strong.

This is a good example of the kind of confident announcement with which evolutionary literature abounds. As it stands, it is purely a guess. Just because some species are apt to look alike(albiet not even species within the same family), it is not at all safe to assume that all "look-alikes" are related. While looking at some of these transitional fossils, some of them may closely resemble modern birds from an anatomical point of view, but it is quite another thing to state categorically that they are closely related. Resemblance and relationship are by no means the same thing. While at least you are not makeing a catagorical announcement of fact,(and I appreciate that) but the basic assumption still remains that you think a blood relationship exists. Morphological facts indicate similarity and that is all. Relationship is totally unprovable by an appeal to morphology. If evolutionists had said, "There are great anatomically similar features between some small therapods and some modern birds," then they would be correct. As it stands, however, it is all very hypothetical, confusing hypothesis with fact.

The extent to which evolutionists on this forum today exercise faith, out of things that they can only hope to believe, is a much less sure foundation than that of the faith we Christians place in the intelligent design which is readily seen and observed throughout biological nature and throughout the stars.

@ventilator
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

exactly! i didn't read the whole thread and only a short german news article about the topic but it was about dinosaurs being the ancestors of birds and not trex being the ancestor of chicken.

The whole chicken->t.rex thing is definitely the central issue of this research, these articles, and this thread. The larger issue of dino->bird evolution is being strengthened by this specific research. So your absolutely wrong and it is actually a pet peeve of mine when someone comes into a thread like this with some one liner like this without having read the whole thread or even made a small effort to understand the issue at large. Apparently you come from the Arnold Swartzeneggar one-liner school of evidence.

The chicken->t.rex connection is VERY specific in this article which has as its title: "T.Rex Related to Chickens" It doesn't get plainer than that.

@Alberto
Quote:

Well I make you laugh again

Yep you made me laugh again. Good job.

Quote:

Elephants come from a mammal as big as a mouse
There are fossils and genetic evidence to support this theory

Where are they? Why do insist on making these large generalities? Try to concentrate on just one at a time. Noone with half a brain is going to accept this as truth just because you say so. Take a minute, find a source, read a book, get something specific.

Quote:

You simply seem to ignore the key factor : Time

You seem to ignore one key factor : Complexity. There is nowhere near enough time for even a single celled organism to evolve into an multicellular organism. Statements such as these belie a total ignorance towards the sheer complexity of the genome and how it works. And the reason why I wont bother to begin to explain it to you is that it would take quite a bit of typing.

Quote:

If our mouse inreases in weight, let's say 1% each generation , thanks to favourable conditions, than in 1000 generations, a fraction of time in the history of evolution, our mouse increases in weight about 21.000 times

Try it then, the gestation period of a mouse is only 20 days, if you breed them in parallel you could probably come up with a thousand generations pretty easily. Yet your never going to see any thing other than a mouse. Oh you'll get some larger ones, no doubt, but you'll come to a limit because you cant breed out of the existing gene pool(yet the gene pool is an illusion as any true geneticist can tell you)

Quote:

yes they did, plenty of people did, the original research did, see the article I posted in reply to ventilator. This is an outright falsity. Posting evidence for a connection between t.rex and a chicken's dna pretty much makes that connection. helllo? anyone home? So, what? Are you saying now that a chicken is NOT a decendant to a t.rex? You probably wont answer that one because the truth is that you dont know.

Quote:

Big dinos died, very likely, because of the fall of a huge meteorit near Yucatan
The concentration of dust in the atmosphere increases consequently the irradiation of the sun decreases

this is a THEORY which is highly debated. One of the biggest problem with this THEORY is that the event occured 300,000 years BEFORE the dinosaurs went extinct.
Yucatan asteroid did not kill the dinosaurs

But there are many other THEORIES in existence, maybe this will help you realize that you shouldnt make statements, which are presented as though they were factual, when they are simple supposition without any positive proof whatsoever. However, chances are you'll come back with a dozen more points which you are 100% sure of yet in reality you are 100% wrong.

Quote:

Big dinos died while small mammals and small dinos could survive thanks to their lower energy consumption ( better diet )

OK, then why did the small predatory dinosaurs die out?

We would have expected them to survive because:

1)Their most likely prey (small invertebrates and mammals) survived.

2)Small animals are generally less vulnerable to extinction than large animals with similar life-styles, because they require a smaller quantity of food and other resources to support a viable breeding population.

So by your own small-animal logic small predatory dinosaurs should have survived, and probably would have survived to this day.

Quote:

The descendece of birds from some type dinos ( not the trex ) is proved by thousand fossil evidences

Thats an outright lie. Either that or you simply cant differentiate between fact and theory. As Phemox said, there are only dozens of so-called transitionals, I would be glad to look at some specific examples with you, but saying there are thousands without any citation at all is just arrogant and stupid.

@everyone else
I simply didnt have time to reply, but I by no means did not reply to things because I just didnt see the answer, but rather because I dont have the time to get to it all.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/18/07 04:45

Quote:

yeah brilliant insight.. anyhting you dont like or understand is irrelevant. I started this thread to see if any creationists had some real arguments about this, but its seems they dont.

I don't really care about the issue as a whole, anymore. I was just making a snippy comment about the topic. Which shouldn't really get you miffed, since (as I recall), that was the majority of what you did in response to anything that I said back in the day.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/18/07 07:27

Quote:

The chicken->t.rex connection is VERY specific in this article which has as its title: "T.Rex Related to Chickens" It doesn't get plainer than that.

yes, "t.rex related to chicken" in some way!

but you creationists were like: "imagine a t.rex evolving into a chicken! muhahaha! impossible!" in these articles (i read some more) of course no one claimed that t.rex evolved into chicken.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/18/07 16:54

Very nice post Nitro.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/18/07 17:03

Quote:

Very nice post Nitro.

Thanks a lot Capanno. You work hard to explain your opinions and most of the time people just ignore it or respond with something derogatory, its nice to get an occasional pat on the back. Thanks.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/18/07 17:29

Quote:

So what you need to do is put your "evidence" in perspective.

We can't help that it doesn't fit yours. In the article they use very good arguments, point to evidence that indeed supports there theory. The new evidence is not the only evidence out there, it simply adds up to the big pile of evidence.

Quote:

The extent to which evolutionists on this forum today exercise faith, out of things that they can only hope to believe, is a much less sure foundation than that of the faith we Christians place in the intelligent design which is readily seen and observed throughout biological nature and throughout the stars.

Well, no, intelligent design suggest a designer, a creator and thus divine interference, those are all things for which there is ZERO evidence, there's no reasonable argument nor motive to assume there's a designer either.

Complexity says nada, just look at the difference between a egg and a full grown baby duck. You're practically claiming that because the egg looks so different, that a fullgrown duck can't possibly have grown out of it.

Also, explain to me why a 'intelligent' designer would create all those intermediate species? You already admitted in other threads that evolution ís happening, but you made an artificial distinction between 'macro' and 'micro' evolution. A lot of 'micro' evolutions make up the 'macro' evolutionary 'stages'. It's all a bit gradient, so infact those percentages make perfect sense. They are evidence of exact the opposite of what you believe.

I really have yet to see good arguments for ID or a creator.

Quote:

Morphological facts indicate similarity and that is all.

This is not true at all. Look at amphibious species, look at all the dog species, look at cats and tigers, look at elephants and rinos, look at the dozens of birds species, look at horses and zebras and donkeys and their historical intermediates. There's overwhelming evidence. Morphological evidence is not just about species having 4 legs, it really goes way further than that, they have almost the exact same bone structures, the same places where muscles are attached and some even share the same rudimentary structures ... It's impossible to ignore morphological similarities indicate a relationship. Sure, sometimes the actual relationship of a shared ancestor goes quite a bit back in time, sometimes the relationship is very recent though. It's crystal, really,

Cheers

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/18/07 19:51

Quote:

You're practically claiming that because the egg looks so different, that a fullgrown duck can't possibly have grown out of it.

Please tell me your joking... your not that stupid...

Quote:

This is not true at all. Look at amphibious species, look at all the dog species, look at cats and tigers, look at elephants and rinos, look at the dozens of birds species, look at horses and zebras and donkeys and their historical intermediates.

Your looking at this the wrong way. You look at everything through the evolution-spectacle set. Different types of cats, dogs, horses, etc proves nothing for evolution. It proves the opposite. It seems like you dont understand how the genome works.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/18/07 21:20

Quote:

IDifferent types of cats, dogs, horses, etc proves nothing for evolution.

If you really believe this, then you clearly don't understand evolution and how it works.

Quote:

You look at everything through the evolution-spectacle set.

What exactly are you aiming at here?

Quote:

It seems like you dont understand how the genome works.

Owww the irony. I mean, come on, before you make such claims better make sure you understand it yourself.

Quote:

Please tell me your joking... your not that stupid...

I was 100% serious.

Cheers
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 06:16

Oh that´s good. Thank you for that capanno: my reply to replies of creationsts: Please tell me your joking... your not that stupid...

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 11:21

Most creationists aren't stupid, just incredibly ignorant, inflexible, and frankly, naive.

Its essentially impossible to argue with or convince a hard-core creationist of anything they dont want to believe. They will always raise some obscure objection, change the terms of the argument, and demand impossible proof.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 12:14

Phemox I don't have the time to explain how it works, so please forgive me for not replying.

I can reccomend dr Lee Spetners book "not by chance". A pretty good explanation on the genome, mutations and variations.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 13:25

Quote:

"not by chance"

This seems to base on a not-understanding of how chance in combination with restricting conditions and repetition in time and space leads to measurable probabilities which can be observered even in short-range processes and which is already used in many creative processes.

Or, you cannot bear the possibility of 'senseless' chance as one of the ingredients of life and creativity, at all.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 15:13

Quote:

This seems to base on a not-understanding of how chance in combination with restricting conditions and repetition in time and space leads to measurable probabilities which can be observered even in short-range processes and which is already used in many creative processes.

Or, you cannot bear the possibility of 'senseless' chance as one of the ingredients of life and creativity, at all.

I dont really understand your "measurable probablitites" and "repetition in time and space", but you are correct in stating that it is "chance combined with restricting conditions"

I am sorry to see this thread degrade into what some of you have made it. Obviously some of you are so flustered that you cant seem to think straight. However, none of this rhetoric is intelligent at all. Concentrate on the facts. What do you know about evolution really?

No answer? Thats ok I will try to bring you up to speed with as much patience and kindness as I can muster. The first issue: Chance and probability. How is chance involved? Are mutations random? What causes mutation?

Mutations occur either from 1)inheritance from parents (mom and dad are mutants) or 2)acquired during the lifetime by environmental factors(radiation,etc) or through copying errors made during cell division.

Chance or random? Yes mutation is random if it has been acquired during your lifetime, but mutation is not so random if you have acquired it from your parents through inheritance.

So we can clearly see that mutation itself is very well explained as "random"

==================

Now natural selection is not_random_at_all. Natural selection is a very real, testable, observable scientific phenomena which arises from every species struggle for existence and survival. Natural selection is the process whereby favorable inheritable characteristics are selected as a result of whatever conditions of the environment would allow that species to survive.

**However you must understand the relationship between natural selection and mutation, if you do not understand this relationship, you will never understand evolution and creationists which accuse you of "not knowing your own theory" will be quite correct. So it is very important to understand that natural selection cannot work without mutation Why? Because natural selection can only select for traits which exist in the "gene pool". As an example, the galapagos finch cannot select for different beak shape without the genes for that beak shape existing in its own gene pool to begin with. How did the genes get in there to begin with? Through mutation.(as the theory states)

So you are going to appear stupid to creationists and evolutionists alike if you dont understand that evolution is really part random/part natural selection.

To recapitulate. The mutations themselves arise randomly, the selection is based on environment and other factors.

This is just the very beginning of it. A basic definition of the term "genome" is in order. The "genome" of an organism is the sum total of all of its parts, including all of its chromosomes, genes, and nucleotides.

The genome really is the instruction manual which specifies life. There is no information system which is designed by man that can begin to compare with it.

The reductionism seen by some evolutionists on this forum is staggering. Phemox had told me that "complexity means nada". To me that really can be interpreted to mean that you simply dont know anything about the genome and the real peices of this puzzle.

The genome is very complex, so complex that it can only be appreciated in terms of how much it contains. A genome is the instruction manual of life, it details how an organisms body will be built. The specified complexity of even a small bacterium's genome is arguably as great as that of the space shuttle.

Now compare that the jump from the complexity of a bacterium's genome to a human's genome is probably about the jump from a little red wagon's instruction manual to a space shuttle's instruction manual. Not only including the steps to put the parts together, also the steps required to manufacture the steel, plastic and all the peices and also to deliver them to the place of assembly. There is simply no human technology which can make an adequate analogy for the complexity of human life.

So therefore:
1)complexity does not mean nada

Now listen because Phemox has said that I havent presented any evidence of intelligent design, well now I am just beginning to give such evidence so please pay attention. This is not something your going to understand from a one-sentence reply on a forum. You have no idea how much knowledge I have about this subject, it would probably astound you. What I am going to do is just gloss over the main points of genomic complexity, and I will end the post with a question.

So the complexity of the genome itself is astounding and many scientists call it the "book of life" because it contains all of the instructions that we need to live. This "book" is a linear sequence of 4 types of extremely small molecules called "nucleotides". These nucleotides make up the individual steps of the spiral DNA staircase. These individual steps are the "letters" of the "book of life". In the human genome there are two sets of 3 billion of these nucleotides and only a small fraction of them are used to encode the roughly 100,000 functional proteins of the human body and the countless amounts of rna molecules which essentially act as these marvelously complex miniature machines.

This linear information alone is only the first dimension of complexity within the genome. The genome is not just a linear string of information, it is actually multiple linear codes which overlap and constitute an exceedingly complex information system.

It also has a self-regulating, recursive type of inbuilt management system which is full of countless loops and branches like a computer program. It has genes which regulate genes which regulate other genes. Some genes sense changes in the environment, and then instruct other genes to react by setting in motion complex cascades of events that can modify the body's environment.

To top it all off, DNA folds into two and three dimensional folds and such folding probably encodes even higher levels of information.

The bottom line is that the genomes instructions are not just a simple, static, linear set of nucleotides, but also a self-regulating, three dimensional system of the likes of which is simply not seen in any human made information system. The genome's highest level of interaction and information coding is probably beyond human comprehension The human body is filled with a galaxy of 100 trillion cells with each one carrying a complete copy of this "DNA manual" which, as Carl Sagan said, is probably the equivalent to more than all the books in the library of congress. The burning question is this:

Where did all this information come from? And how can it be maintained?

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 15:25

Quote:

I can reccomend dr Lee Spetners book "not by chance". A pretty good explanation on the genome, mutations and variations.

I've already read that book, the socalled 'refutation' of Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker. I wasn't impressed at all. It's full of errors, outdated information, misunderstandings and 'conspiracy this conspiracy that' kind of attacks. Science is not a religion, nor do we ignore evidence that allegedly doesn't fit the theory. And complexity doesn't say anything about whether or not something is possible to evolve. Could we ever have imagined when living in the year 1400 what the world of today would look like? No, off course not. Well, that's only 607 years and already a huge huge difference. I know the analogy might be slightly off, but I was talking about complexity, there's abundant evidence that evolution does happen all around us.

Cheers

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 16:13

So thats it? Thats all I get? This is how you give up the debate? Sad very sad. Well Im glad no evolutionist in this thread was my lawyer in some important court trial because I would lose my shirt. You guys just give up way too easily.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 17:00

( I could say exactly the same about Capanno here, so right back at you. )

Okey, well the reasons why I was totally unimpressed it because of the misunderstanding of statistics, the way complexity works and the evolution theory in general.

The whole book is centered around the wrong assumption that evolutionists believe mutations are the primary donor of new DNA information, whereas gene duplication (as well as other duplications) is the primary source of new information in DNA.

Let me give a quote of someone who tried to explain what's wrong with the 'statistics vs. complexity vs. evolution theory-approach (and yes it's from amazon.com);

The central tenet of Dr. Spetners book is that sophisticated mathematical and statistical analyses "prove" that Darwinian evolution by natural selection is not possible. Well, as it happens, this is exactly what one would expect from this type of analysis, and for a very simple reason.

Let's say that I get I get in my car and begin to drive down the road without any particular idea about where I am going. Every time I reach an intersection, I have a set of choices: I can turn right, left, or go straight on (Notice, my choices aren't unlimited, I can't turn "up" for example. At each intersection, I must choose from a limited set of choices). Now, every time I make that choice, not only do I determine a new direction of travel, but I also change all my future range of choices.

Now, let's say I drive for thirty days straight. What are the chances that I will arrive in Akron, Ohio at the end of those 30 days? Well, practically no chance at all. But, I have to end up SOMEWHERE. If, at the end of 30 days, I do end up in Akron, what can we deduce from this?

Nothing much. I am in Akron, but it would have been impossible to predict that I would arrive here in 30 days. By the same token, even though I am actually in Akron, it is still statistically impossible to show that I should be there. Statistically, I shouldn't be in Akron. When I look back at my journey, my arrival in Akron came about through hundreds of separate decisions at hundreds of separate intersections. Just one different decision might have sent me off to Orlando, Florida. Statistically, I shouldn't be in Akron. In fact, statistically, I shouldn't be, well, anywhere.

By the same token, evolution has been through millions of intersections. The chances of us arriving at this particular stage in our evolution would have been impossible to predict at the beginning. Now that we have arrived at our current location, statistics are useless in telling us if we could have gotten here through evolution. But we had to be somewhere. It just happens to be here.

It is telling, however, that despite his statistical analysis, Dr Spetner is forced to admit that there is both direct and indirect evidence for evolution. Even as he stands at the brink of declaring evolution to be a statistical impossibility, he steps back and acknowledges its truth, however grudgingly.

And another reaction this:

The progress of evolution is not random at all. The genetic mutation and variation due to sexual reproduction may be random, but the environment selects those mutations and variations that enhance the reproductive outcome for the organism. When a population of some trillions of bacteria are subjected to an antibiotic, and one of those bacterial cells happens to wind up antibiotic resistant (our figurative trip to Akron), it survives and the others die. It multiplies and the other do not. A new population of resistant bacteria arises not by the vagaries of chance, but by the hard realities of adaptation in an unforgiving environment.

To extend the "trip to Akron" metaphor, imagine trillions of drivers driving in all directions and winding up all over the map except for one thing. The guy that made it to Akron lives and the others are killed.

Convergent evolution isn't so surprising either. It may well happen, and in fact does happen, that two, three, four, or more guys make it to Akron by completely different routes. That insects, birds and bats all have wings and can fly does not require a miracle. It only requires that there be parallel evolutionary pressures on these different classes of animals, and parallel advantages to those among them that can make that increasingly long leap into the air work for them.

Again, Dr. Spetner attacks the wrong things using the wrong approach ...

Quote:

Well Im glad no evolutionist in this thread was my lawyer in some important court trial because I would lose my shirt. You guys just give up way too easily.

I think most judges and juries would have little problems figuring out who's right actually and who's back paddling, using wrong arguments is misinformed about certain facts and sometimes even ignorant. But hey, if you ever need a lawyer, you know where to find me,

Cheers
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 17:13

Quote:

Where did all this information come from? And how can it be maintained?

I'm happy to see an informed post. To answer your question, the information was evolved with the method you have just described. The first organisms in earth didn't had the same information and complexity that is found today, some billiom years later.

I was very lucky to be the pupil of Dr David Corne, author of many EA books, and currently teaching in my university. Out of the many conversations with this poor guy trying to teach me the very beautifull concept of EAs, this is what stuck with me the most...

He said.. The theory is given:

1. a population of organisms which have a lifetime and which can reproduce in a challenging/changing environment
2. a way of continually generating diversity in new 'child' organisms.

And that's the only two rules that 'govern' our universe. Even the survival of the fittest principle has emerged by these two rules(organisms which tend to have healthy, fertile children will dominate(i.e. their descendents will).

So the answer to your question is, complexity of the genomes themselves has evolved through years by natural evolution. By following the principle i have just described, you can see how genomes weren't the start but something that has evolved over the years as well(don't ask me what started it all as EAs can't and don't attempt to answer this question).

Quote:

Mutations occur either from 1)inheritance from parents (mom and dad are mutants) or 2)acquired during the lifetime by environmental factors(radiation,etc) or through copying errors made during cell division.

Chance or random? Yes mutation is random if it has been acquired during your lifetime, but mutation is not so random if you have acquired it from your parents through inheritance.

Just want to clarify here, that mutations are always random, and never biased or inherited. I'm sure we're on the same page but maybe someone else would find this post informative.. Random mutations occur, as you correctly stated, through copying errors, although i wouldn't call them errors per se.. that's how natural evolution works. If there was no mutations, there would be no evolution.

Evolution happens by mix and matching the Selected pairs of a given population. The selection method of our universe is survival of the fittest. The children of the selected pair is a crossover of its parent's 'information' and a tiny percentage of a mutation happening(introducing some NEW information). The child is added to the population and the process begins again.

After the child has been mutated, it is not called a mutation any more. It's its new... 'data', and will possibly be inherited to its ancestors, depending on the crossover(which also has random elements).

Thus, mutation and cross-over are completely random. Natural Evolution is slightly biased to the fittest, only because of its selection method.

Makes you wonder, 'who' created this world, and why are these two rules in place(considering you accept this theory). I like to make my own theories depending on this very concept about God and our meaning of life. You're welcome to do the same.

Cheers,
Aris

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 17:38

Quote:

Makes you wonder, 'who' created this world, and why are these two rules in place(considering you accept this theory).

This very question starts with the assumption that all this has to be created. We can see these rules are in effect indeed, but what makes you think these rules were 'made'. Why would that be the case? A lot of natural selective factors can be explained perfectly well, most of them are simply the results of reactions and co-existence of other reactions, events and what more. There are huge chains of reactions that made the world how it is now. Selective factors like climate changes, disappearing food sources for a certain adapted species and what more should be seen in it's context.

Again complexity, even complexity of the most complex kind, doesn't demand a creator. We know a lot about the weather and it's factors that influence the outcome, yet we can't predict it accurately because our knowledge is limited and bound to time (gathering info and calculating weathermodels costs time). Basically we don't know everything is what I'm trying to explain, and for example the weather system shows we can't accurately base conclusions or make assumptions like the one in the quoted text above.

It goes even further than that by the way. Just because something doesn't make sense doesn't mean it's not true.

Let's say you wake up one day on a street and you know completely nothing, all you know is you exist because you're parents gave birth to you and the street you're on simply was there before you were there. You've never seen anyone make that street, nor did you see any other street being made. Basically you don't know anything about that street. Except that it was there before you were there. You can see what the street consists of, but you can't see any tools. The only legit conclusion is that the street exists, you don't know if the street was constructed and even if you think so, there's absolutely no reasonable argument to assume God made that street. The only way to know whether or not the street was made and by who, is to actually have witnessed it.

Now replace 'street' with 'universe' or whatever other extraordinary thing we can see around us for which we can not see how it came into existence...

Cheers

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 17:55

Very good, thank you for restoring my faith some argumentative viability on this board. I think basically that anyone who replies to these threads with purely derogatory statements is a weak-willed loser to be perfectly blunt, and I am just generally speaking with no particular person in mind. We all have the tendency to get angry but anger is really just a manifestation of of an inability to cope with a situation IMHO.

So, very good, back to the facts. Note that I havent read Spetner's book, but I have heard these arguments on both sides before.

Quote:

By the same token, evolution has been through millions of intersections. The chances of us arriving at this particular stage in our evolution would have been impossible to predict at the beginning. Now that we have arrived at our current location, statistics are useless in telling us if we could have gotten here through evolution. But we had to be somewhere. It just happens to be here

I understand this point, but it is also a logical fallacy which begins with an assumption that evolution occured. When you begin with an argument that your theory of evolution happened then of course any statistics which calculate the probability of that occurence are useless. However evolution is the whole subject being debated here. Let me carry the analogy out further to demonstrate:

If I am in Akron it is useless to try to figure out the probabilities which got me there. I agree with that fully. 100%.

Yet you are not in Akron that is the whole subject under debate. Therefore his argument is a logical fallacy.

Quote:

Dr Spetner is forced to admit that there is both direct and indirect evidence for evolution. Even as he stands at the brink of declaring evolution to be a statistical impossibility, he steps back and acknowledges its truth

I didnt read the book and I dont agree with the ID crowd with their "guided evolution" fallacy. But it seems as if your guy has a good point here as far as ID'ers go, but not according to me because I dont acknowledge either direct nor indirect evidence for evolution.

Quote:

The progress of evolution is not random at all. The genetic mutation and variation due to sexual reproduction may be random

This statement is idiotic. In the first statement he says evolution is not random at all and in the second sentence he says that "...variation due to sexual reproduction may be random

So that is ridiculous, and I see it in both camps, for evolution AND creation. The alleged process is neither random nor directed, it is both. So creationists are entirely correct when we say that genetic information arises by chance. It indeed arises by chance mutation. It is selected by other processes.

This is where some evolutionists on this board just_dont_get_it, they continue to claim that evolution does not arise by chance belieing the fact that they just dont know their own theory. Mutation absolutely arises by chance. This is where you need to be honest with yourself and others. You are no scientist and you will never be one if you cannot grasp this so please dont claim an appeal to science.

Quote:

I think most judges and juries would have little problems figuring out who's right actually and who's back paddling, using wrong arguments is misinformed about certain facts and sometimes even ignorant.

What any judge needs is evidence and you cannot provide evidence. If you say I am ignorant or backpaddling that is not enough evidence without proofs. Yet I am giving the judge one peice after another in a steady stream and all you guys do is ignore it. Why? Because you cannot admit when your wrong. The precise reason why you cannot accept a God, because that would mean admission of guilt. You are basically so stuck on yourself that you cannot ever foresee yourself being wrong. However, this type of ignorance is exactly what will assure that you will never do anything substantially in science because you have no ability to learn. Learning involves throwing out what you currently know to replace it with things that you did not know. The quicker you can learn, the quicker you can adapt and overcome. Think about it. This is my general opinion of some people, I am definitely not saying Phemox or anyone specifically. I think that our ability to learn and the speed in which we learn really is the definition of intelligence.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 18:04

Hey Phemox,

I was only trying to make a point. If you like, change 'makes you wonder, "who" created this world', with 'makes you wonder, HOW was this world created'. Or how it became to existance.

I'm not talking about the earth and the universe. I'm talking about.. our world. I've observed many conversations, mainly physicists talking to each other, which can offer valuable information on this, and they're always stuck to HOW was this energy that governs our universe got to be here in the first place! Thanks to Einstein, we can now positively say that if we consider our universe as a closed system, then no energy is lost or gained, but only transformations between mass and energy. So where did all this energy came from? We can't explain, so we all speculate instead.

I will never believe as a fact something that cannot be proven (i.e. God), but I will not discard it either, until it has been disproven. To me, atheists are equally as naive as religious people in this matter, because you Really don't know, do you?

Back to my point, the fact that everything's governed by NA rules fascinate me like nothing else, because it gives you a step to build your speculations on. Mine is this.. Considering Natural Evolution is merely a search algorithm(which it is) and universe is the search space, with almost infinite possibilities. What is this search, searching?? And why search in the first place. To me, I can't get it out of my mind that someone triggered this search. Logically, by looking at the NA itself, we should someday be able to solve this. Which makes this ever more interesting.

Cheers,
Aris

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 18:50

I understand completely and I wasn't saying the question itself is strange, I was merely pointing out how biased we tend to be in asking such questions.

We can't explain, so we all speculate instead.

True and so do I, but it strikes me every time how biased people are in their 'wondering about' things. It's not a critique towards the basic curiosity at all. I do wonder about the same things.

Quote:

What is this search, searching?? And why search in the first place. To me, I can't get it out of my mind that someone triggered this search. Logically, by looking at the NA itself, we should someday be able to solve this. Which makes this ever more interesting.

Another good example of this bias I was talking about.

It's no critique, but these selective rules can't be seen as one sort of being pushing life (and us) around, how ever coherent the effects and the fact that apparently it happens on all scales, a lot of beings are being filtered out. What we are looking at is not the result of ONE species dodging the selective factors, no, what we are looking at is the result of adaptation through the system that filters on specific qualities in specific situations. I wouldn't call that 'search'.

Ignore if you like, since it's a linguistic/interpretative kind of thing but "search" would also suggest some sort of 'motive', right? But eventhough everything is trying to survive, some branches of evolution, some species, some beings don't really have a choice.

Evolution of life is not so much a search, but more so simply the result of survival.

Let's look at it this way, you've got 5 fish species in one basin and in order to survive they have to swim through 1 hole. Unfortunately, only 1 species of the 5 is small enough to be able to swim through. You can hardly call that 'search of life to survive', it's just the others are filtered out.

Common expressions like "life will find a way" are biased, because for some of life there won't even be a way.

The existence of the whole processes of evolution really is the only reason why 'life' hasn't died out already on this planet. These processes are complex and make that some of life per generation that get's 'filtered' will survive, but some branches of evolution come to dead-ends too, others split into several species and what more. My point being ...? The survival of life is to complex for a generalization of this kind.

Cheers

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 19:04

Quote:

This statement is idiotic. In the first statement he says evolution is not random at all and in the second sentence he says that "...variation due to sexual reproduction may be random

So that is ridiculous, and I see it in both camps, for evolution AND creation. The alleged process is neither random nor directed, it is both. So creationists are entirely correct when we say that genetic information arises by chance. It indeed arises by chance mutation. It is selected by other processes.

It's not idiotic. Ask yourself this, what causes a mutation? An error of some kind, right? Are errors random? If something is damaged they are the result of the damaging factor, if there has been made a 'mistake' of some kind in any of the processes it could appear as if 'random'. However if something has a cause it is not random, if it has a cause which get's influenced by an awful lot of factors then it would be more accurate to say it's random. If something ultimately happens to be unpredictable, I'd say it's random. It's not a black and white world.

Cheers

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 19:19

Quote:

To answer your question, the information was evolved with the method you have just described

Yep thanks, that would be the answer I was looking for, and I can go one step further in saying that it would be the standard answer. Just about every technically oriented college student in America would probably answer the same way. Because this is what is taught as standard evolutionary theory here and I am sure elsewhere.

Quote:

1. a population of organisms which have a lifetime and which can reproduce in a challenging/changing environment
2. a way of continually generating diversity in new 'child' organisms.

And that's the only two rules that 'govern' our universe. Even the survival of the fittest principle has emerged by these two rules(organisms which tend to have healthy, fertile children will dominate(i.e. their descendents will).

Yes. Pretty much the standard theory. It is even axiomatic is it not? However, if you or I found that this process did not work as a universal law(or governing 'rules' as you so aptly stated), or if we even cast a shadow of doubt upon it, we would placed under much disdain by Dr.David Corne and many other theorists. It would be intellectual suicide to blaspheme this rule in our education system. However, dont worry, while it is WAY too late for me (for I questioned it a looong time ago) I dont think its too late for you.

ok. All kidding aside.

Quote:

Just want to clarify here, that mutations are always random, and never biased or inherited. I'm sure we're on the same page but maybe someone else would find this post informative..

well...no, but thats ok, its an irrelevant point, and we are probably saying the same thing in different ways.

inherited mutations

Quote:

through copying errors, although i wouldn't call them errors per se..

Here is the point of your error. You think that mutations are a 'good' thing. However it is a very serious thing, many people die from mutation. The amount of families hurt by genetic birth defects is tragically high. So mutation is a real catastrophic problem in our society and is not merely an academic problem. I dont see anyone hopping underneath an x-ray machine hoping to get a mutation.

But from a evolutionary perspective, as you have suggested, are mutations good?

For the last 100 years scientists have been trying to find mutations which have caused new, novel information, and I have to say that from what I have seen, there really havent been any mutations which have been seen to have unambigously created information. There certainly have been mutations which have been considered "beneficial" which however resulted in a loss of information rather than the creation of it. For illustration purposes some people might consider a broken car alarm to be "beneficial". However, even though such changes may be considered "beneficial", they still represent a "breakdown" of the car. This is an actual case, for example, in chromosonal mutations for for antibiotic resistances in bacteria. That bacteria has not evolved, it has become defective.

Yet evolutionists are persistent in believing that mutation/selection is the building block process responsible for all life. So we have to look at mutations closely. We specifically need to look at what kinds of effects mutations have on organisms. Limiting ourselves to point mutations as it relates to the amount of damage they can do they can come in three different flavors:

1)No effect at all
2)Subtle effects
3)dramatic effects

For current evolutionary theory to work, the mutations have to be relatively subtle (2) or have no effect (1) because a dramatic effect would be selected out fairly quickly.

(here is where some mathematicians come in and start to calculate the probabilities of mutations adding novel complexity to the genome)

To break it down to an analogy it does not take a genius to understand that most mutations are NOT going to add new protein building information, and there are huge amounts of harmful(3) or subtle effect (2) mutations for every one theoretical mutation which adds anything new.

So current evolutionary theory holds that these "harmless mutations" will not be selected out while the organism "waits" for all these good mutations to come together. Why wont they be selected out? Because they are harmless right? Wrong. They are harmless as individuals, but not in the huge numbers that they occur. Here is where the complexity issue comes in.

Basically I have a bunch of people here that are saying that complexity does not matter and that simple reductionist thinking that it all just somehow "works" with the amazing machine of mutation/natural selection, yet they really have no idea why it doesnt work, why it cant work, and why it has never been observed to work. Well Ive got some news for you, most of you dont know anything about how mutations act on organisms and on populations, yet you depend on the mutation/selection scheme to create the new information needed to produce an eye. Its crazy. And Larry_Laffer, as I will show you given enough time(for this post is just an abbreviated version just lightly skimming on some facts)your evolutionary computing is just a theoretical dream which makes very little sense in the light of real genetics research.(edit:well perhaps I shouldnt say in that way, because I know nothing of that kind of thing evolutionary algoritms are not something I ever really learned about) I am just saying that I am 99% positive that there are things involved with population genetics and genetic research which are definitely not considered in most evolutionary computing algorithms.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 19:24

Quote:

It's not idiotic. Ask yourself this, what causes a mutation? An error of some kind, right? Are errors random? If something is damaged they are the result of the damaging factor, if there has been made a 'mistake' of some kind in any of the processes it could appear as if 'random'. However if something has a cause it is not random, if it has a cause which get's influenced by an awful lot of factors then it would be more accurate to say it's random. If something ultimately happens to be unpredictable, I'd say it's random. It's not a black and white world

1)I definitely didnt say you or the guy is idiotic, I just think his statement is because he says in one breath "its not random" in the next he says "its random"

But you are right about cause and effect, nothing is random considering that a dice will fall based on real physical properties. However for the purposes of this discussion the word "random" should suffice.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 19:32

Phemox,

No, you misunderstood.. I wasn't being philosophical, like.. the way of evolution is a search... or we have to find the right way to the path of life... I was giving you a fact.. Natural evolution is a search algorithm. This is a granted...

To really see it, you could maybe try to visualise this.. Say you take an eraser and delete the whole universe, so there's nothing but the initial energy. Now to make this exercise easier, you can see it tranforming into mass and the various 'elements' that we earthlings know, like metal and rock and flesh and whatever. Now ask your self a question... like.. With my given resources, what is the BEST orginization that can be formed, that can accomplish X task?

How would you go to solve this? You could try to reason what the best orginization could look like, or you could do an exhustive (brute force) search of ALL POSSIBLE COMBINATION OF EVERYTHING, or use some other search algorithm, such as.. NA.

I'm not forcing you a meaning of life.. Life could well be a lot more than that, or not, who knows. But NA is a search algorithm, and if you have a search algorithm, you need to be searching for something... And it's not the fittest of a population. That's only the selection criteria to keep the search moving.

It's only logical conclusions after lots of observation that got me into thinking this(but trust me, i'm not the only one), so I have every reason to believe i'm on to something. I'll probably keep researching Natural Algorithms for the rest of my life....

Considering there may be a creator, or group of creators, that actually made our world happen isn't stupid.. It's actually pretty reasonable to think like that. I'm not stuck on the thought that the world has always existed for infinity. Time is only a dimension, and if the world always existed or was created, time was definately created within and not without. But both theories are probable, and both pretty reasonable, as far as our knowledge goes. I don't think we'll discover anything groundbreaking about this great mystery anytime soon.. But we're getting there

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 20:16

Nitro,

Quote:

Yep thanks, that would be the answer I was looking for, and I can go one step further in saying that it would be the standard answer. Just about every technically oriented college student in America would probably answer the same way. Because this is what is taught as standard evolutionary theory here and I am sure elsewhere.

I assure you, i didn't google searched or anything when trying to answer you. I simply put 2 and 2 together and gave you an answer that I thought that was correct. If more people have agreed with me, i only take it as an extra reason for my answer to stand true.

Quote:

However, if you or I found that this process did not work as a universal law(or governing 'rules' as you so aptly stated), or if we even cast a shadow of doubt upon it, we would placed under much disdain by Dr.David Corne and many other theorists.

If you could disprove this theory with facts, I assure you, Dr David Corne and every other self respected scientist would be very much appreciate your findings, and re-direct their research accordingly. No real scientist ignores proven facts. That would kinda negate the fact of them being.... scientists...

Quote:

However, dont worry, while it is WAY too late for me (for I questioned it a looong time ago) I dont think its too late for you.

Look.. I have no interest into changing your mind or anything.. I only answered your question.. Why do you suddently make this about me and you?

Quote:

well...no, but thats ok, its an irrelevant point, and we are probably saying the same thing in different ways.

inherited mutations

That link talks about inherited cancer I suppose, i didn't read it all.. But anyway.. I was only giving you the Definition of mutation, as it is generally accepted by everyone that is into natural evolution. Mutations are random. Sure, a mutated trait can be inherited, but it's not called a mutation any more. I told you, we were on the same page.. I was just tying to defend the mutation's definition, so there's no misunderstandings to other readers

About the Mutation discussion...

Mutations are nessecery. I will not discuss this any further. If you want to protect your religious beliefs, that's fine by me, to be honest, i don't care if you believe in NAs, or God, or a mix of both or whatever. I thought we were having a serious discussion about how Natural Algorithms work here, and by definition, mutations are beneficial. Without them, there would be no real evolution. If a child would get cross-over information from his parents, then any children would get as good, as the possible combinations between each parents exist. After a certain period of time, evolution would stop(probably a few hundred years after the first organism in earth came to existance(assuming we're only talking about earth)), because mixing and matching from a pre-set of existant information, can produce so many new possibilities. Mutation, brings a new element into the process, and allows evolution to progress.

Now you have to understand, i'm talking about minor mutations here that happen at birth. Mutations occured by exposure to radiation or whatever, will increase the chance of mutation to a very dangerously high percentage, lots of mutation will happen at once(no real evolution there, because large mutation almost never gives good results.. you have to be DAMN lucky..), and most probably you're gonna get cancer, or something like that..

Sometimes, we witness noticable mutations happen at birth, like someone with no legs, or a person with 2 dicks (it's true... check it on YouTube, it's gotta be there..). On rare occasion, the mutation will be beneficial for that person, according to the current environment. If it was Stone Age, a beneficial mutation would be, someone having Huge strong arms, like double the size, so he can defend himself better or something. Today, he would be considered a freak, and probably ugly. But if someone would mutate into... uhh.. exeptionally strong but STILL pretty legs, then this person would win the olympics, be rich, have lots of kids, and his unique trait would be expanded in a bigger population. In a few years, these people could be so rich, they would buy nuclear weapons, form an army, kill everyone else, and the entire population of the earth would be these people, all sharing this new mutated trait.. survival of the fittest

I have no interest in arguing with you whether Natural Evolution is correct or not. All I'm doing is repeating how it works, and how it is defined. If you don't agree with something I'm saying, I don't care to hear what you don't like about it. You could maybe take this arguement to some scientist forum or whatever, that are willing to defend the theory. I'm merely stating what it says. You're free to believe whatever you want

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 20:58

Quote:

How would you go to solve this? You could try to reason what the best orginization could look like, or you could do an exhustive (brute force) search of ALL POSSIBLE COMBINATION OF EVERYTHING, or use some other search algorithm, such as.. NA.

I see, now I understand where you're coming from. I tend to agree, however the selective factors are constantly changing so would life be possible in any other way but the 'brute force' way? I don't think so.

Quote:

Considering there may be a creator, or group of creators, that actually made our world happen isn't stupid.. It's actually pretty reasonable to think like that.

Mmmm, well, why is it reasonable to think like that? Most of us are really stuck with the idea that everything must have a purpose, that all things that exist must have been created or caused by something that was created and that all this happened for a reason or purpose with complicated and advanced motives. Those ideas are rather artificial, they exists because of our dependence on logic and our basic hunger for 'sense in it all'.

What if there's no reason? You can't rule out that possibility and as long as we don't "meet" any of the "creators" or the "creator" in whatever way, there's no real reason to assume they've set everything into motion and started it all.

Infact, the more we know, the further back such an creator would stand in the process, basically only representing the things we don't know yet and thus we keep it in mind as 'it may be a possibility'. In reality it's back paddling to suggest an I.D., any real, logical or rational arguments in favor of a creator are really non-existing.

Cheers

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 21:11

Quote:

I see, now I understand where you're coming from. I tend to agree, however the selective factors are constantly changing so would life be possible in any other way but the 'brute force' way? I don't think so.

You get me!! I had the exact same question when wondering about this... So here's the answer i got from my professor..

Me
Quote:

On tues. you said the fittest human is the one who re-produces
> more. So i guess it's safe to say that if we figure out which people
> reproduce the most, we have our fitness criteria. With the minesweepers,
> we intervene every minute and choose which mineswepers would re-produce
> according to who collected more mines. And the criteria is always the same
> until we find a solution. Looking at human history however, the human that
> would re-produce more seems to change all the time! I mean, thousands of
> years ago, the physically strongest man would be the one that would
> survive all dangers(i'm talking pre-historic times..) and probably knock
> the most women unconsious before mating with them. However, in our times,
> it's mostly about the more socially successfull people, or the most
> atractive one. Attractive itself is also an issue that is never the same.
> "Attractive" women today would be considered to be ugly, years ago. So
> what helps if more attractive women are breeded by nature's GA algorithm,
> if at some point in the future, they are not considered to be attractive
> anymore? So to me, it looks like there's another level of abstraction on
> the fitness criteria, that we don't enforce in AGA's yet.. But to be
> honest, i'm just comfused..

Dr Corne
Quote:

- what natural evolution actually *optimises* is still under hot debate,
but it is just as much to do with what's good for the species as it
is to do with number of fertile children.
- personal fitness (e.g. what an individual human wants to attain
or improve in him/herself) is entirely separate from evolutionary
fitness. Evolution measures you in one way, you are free to measure
yourself in any way you like, and that may be quite different.
- Evolution is pretty damn good at what it does, but it is most
certainly very far from perfect. In many cases, it adapts too
slowly in relation to changes in the environment. This is why
dinosaurs are gone, why polar bears will follow them, and so on.
So we shouldn't (as many people do) bring it up in a context
like "this is what evolution "says" " so it must be right.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 21:11

Quote:

I have no interest in arguing with you whether Natural Evolution is correct or not. All I'm doing is repeating how it works, and how it is defined. If you don't agree with something I'm saying, I don't care to hear what you don't like about it. You could maybe take this arguement to some scientist forum or whatever, that are willing to defend the theory. I'm merely stating what it says. You're free to believe whatever you want

oh sorry I didnt realise you were so touchy. You probably just dont know me that well, I am confrontational by nature. So it is no problem for me to disagree with others or to be disagreed with. As a matter of fact I really do enjoy debating and fighting in general, it is simply my nature. While I certainly have plenty to say about mutations Im afraid you might interpret it as some type of hostility, which I certainly dont try to "make it about you and me", so I think I'll refrain

Quote:

I thought we were having a serious discussion about how Natural Algorithms work here, and by definition, mutations are beneficia

Just one thing...as I said in my previous post I really know nothing about evolutionary computing or natural algortims except what I can read in wikipedia So I think I'd be useless in any such discussion.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 21:24

Nitro,

I didn't mean to be touchy or anything. But me, by nature, i try NOT to get into hot debating and fighting. Especially on forums which are so inpersonal, i think it's a waste of time

I posted to answer your question, and because i honestly thought we were on the same page, as far as NE works. But you seem to object in very fundamental parts about this, like if mutations are beneficial or not, so I see we're far from being from the same school...

I wasn't offended, and I still like you as a person, the little i've known you from our IntenseX discussions. But I'm not, and never will be in the mood to defend something like NE to you or anyone else. The theory is 'up there' for everyone to read and object to. Because I've studied this to such a great extend, i feel like I have nothing to learn from this discussion, since you're coming from a totally different place. Sorry..

Quote:

Quote:

I thought we were having a serious discussion about how Natural Algorithms work here, and by definition, mutations are beneficia

Just one thing...as I said in my previous post I really know nothing about evolutionary computing or natural algortims except what I can read in wikipedia So I think I'd be useless in any such discussion.

Yeah scratch that.. I meant to say Natural Evolution. I never wanted to bring anything to do with Computer algorithms to the topic..

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 21:45

Quote:

Mmmm, well, why is it reasonable to think like that? Most of us are really stuck with the idea that everything must have a purpose, that all things that exist must have been created or caused by something that was created and that all this happened for a reason or purpose with complicated and advanced motives. Those ideas are rather artificial, they exists because of our dependence on logic and our basic hunger for 'sense in it all'.

Ok well.. this is just me talking.. But no one has a clue right? So it could be anything...

All I'm saying is, you either accept the world was ALWAYS there.. which is kind of a mind-blower I agree, but certainly plausible. Or, the world was created at some point. If it was created, something created it... It could be an entity, it could be a reaction... So, if you like, that reaction is the creator.. When I say creator, it doesn't have to be, 'some dude'. So that's why, it's a pretty reasonable guess..

How is, 'there was no reason, noone being behind anything, no motive', any more plausible than anything else? Think of it this way, long before people made it to space, i'm sure there would be people saying... "Yeah, this land here.. that's pretty much all there is my friend.. And the lights in the sky are... optical illusions or something.. No reason to believe about planets and space and all that crazy stuff.. Most of the times, if we don't know about something, it's probably nothing there.."

Now ok, these guys may have been right, what they said was very possible.. In that case they weren't, but many times, i agree, we tend to make crazy theories behind things we know nothing about... But saying there's nothing there, is also a theory..

It's like me showing you my fist, and saying... inside my fist, i hold a colorfull dice! Would you say, ok sure, it's a dice? or maybe say... bullshit. All I see is a fist.. I bet there's absolutely nothing in it! But you don't really know, do you?

There is a God.... No, there isn't a God... No one knows! taking one or the other side and standing by it fanatically is ridiculous from how I see it..

Of course, I speak from a logically point of view.. We can't prove, or disprove God. If you have other reasons to believe in God, such as faith in your religion, then what I said doesn't apply to you. Take no offense..

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/19/07 23:34

Quote:

Ok well.. this is just me talking.. But no one has a clue right? So it could be anything...

True and I don't have a clue either. Still, I do think that at the moment having no evidence in favor of a creator weighs up to the fact that no evidence doesn't mean it does not exist. If it's really impossible to prove God, or feel, notice or in whatever other kind of other way 'know' indirectly that he influences this world, then that makes him totally irrelevant. You can't go about and claim something exist, just by the nature of it's definition, that's nonsensical.

Quote:

How is, 'there was no reason, noone being behind anything, no motive', any more plausible than anything else?

To be honest with you, there's no evidence to be able to claim it's more plausible. What are the odds that we are right with our guesses? I'd say the chance that either one of us is right is rather small. When looking at all the attributes and properties God must have according to some, that chance only decreases. Everyone can understand that the more things must be correct, the lower the chance it will actually be exactly correct. I'm not talking about right or wrong, just what's more likely and what's less likely.

Some might argue that theoretically it's 50-50 creator vs. no creator chance, but I disagree. I'm not saying thus I'm right though, because ultimately no-one knows what's inside the fist.

Cheers

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/20/07 00:11

The whole idea of a "creator" is a pure thought construct. There is no observable precedent or analog in nature so the likelihood of there being such a thing is close to nill.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/20/07 06:09

Oh boy.... See, i don't even want to defend the idea of a 'creator' or whatever. All I'm saying is, someone's innocent until he's proven guilty.

When I said 'creator', it was so me and you could understand, I don't wanna suggest someone CREATED this world from nothing, because again, i don't know. The mystery here is, in our universe, there's a fixed amount of energy, which ,some say, our universe is leaking and at billions of years everything will freeze, and whatever, life will ceeze to exist. A 'creator' could be just the explanation of how this energy was introduced on the first place. Because everyone knows now, that energy cannot be created and energy cannot be lost(apart that..leaking thing, if u wanna believe in that).

So if you like, there's a good chance that this universe had a birthdate and not always existed.. And possibly, someone/something gave birth to it. Only hoping you'll see the relation between my theory and nature here. But I really don't care. It may as well all be bogus

That stuff don't excite me at all, because it's exacly that, you can't know anything for sure. There's no proof, there's actually nothing you can do! it's like people making conspirancies about the moon, but no one can prove anything until they go to space, or.. know a friend from NASA or something... so it becomes boring after a while. I have the same problem with religion.

I only started this, to introduce the idea of Natural Evolution as maybe used as a tool, and for a given purpose. And because the effects of NE are happening right in front of us, that's something we can examine and speculate more closely.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/20/07 13:05

Quote:

Oh boy.... See, i don't even want to defend the idea of a 'creator' or whatever. All I'm saying is, someone's innocent until he's proven guilty.

Actually, the person was either innocent the whole time or guilty the whole time, we just didn't know yet. Anyways, sorry for being a smart*ss, this is off topic. I understand what you mean, in the end it's one of many possibilities, although a very unlikely one in my opinion.

Quote:

A 'creator' could be just the explanation of how this energy was introduced on the first place. Because everyone knows now, that energy cannot be created and energy cannot be lost

Huh, I'm not quite following you here. You say it ís created, yet it can't be created nor lost? (off course a possibility, no need to defend it, I'm just curious, it seems contradicting.).

Another thought by the way, when looking at the properties of energy it seems to suggest to have been here all along. Energy is the capacity for doing work. Forms of energy include thermal, mechanical, electrical, and chemical. Energy may be transformed from one form into another.

Cheers

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/20/07 20:10

Quote:

When God created them, he told the to bring forth after their kind, not species. Animals were made with a big gene pool, so they will be able to adapt wherever they go. This is devolution, the loss of information. When an animal adapts to a certain environment, it might seem like its evolving, but its doing the opposite.

If so I would expect to find more or less the same kind of fossils regardless of the age of the terrain
How do you explain that the older the terrain is ,the more primitive the fossils are ?

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/20/07 21:39

Quote:

Huh, I'm not quite following you here. You say it ís created, yet it can't be created nor lost? (off course a possibility, no need to defend it, I'm just curious, it seems contradicting.).

No, the idea is. Energy cannot be created or lost, INSIDE a closed system(our universe). The concept of the energy being.. 'created?' or in any other way brought to a closed system is not being disproven or argued. We simply know nothing about this, because we don't know what exists outside our universe, if anything.

Hope it makes sense.. i'm a bit drunk right now

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/20/07 22:47

Quote:

This is actually one of the strongest point in favour of evolutionism
Not only comparative anatomy is an evident evidence for a common ancestor but it is even an evident evidence against a designer or at least again a good designer
If you compare the anatomy of existing species as well as the one of extinguished species as far as we can understand from the fossils ,it is evident a very slow step by step improvement same as the designer should learn himself from his mistakes,
Moreover this supposed designer is lacking creativity since is repeating and repeating alwayes the same project with small enhancemens
This is hardly compatible , you would agree, with a God
Even more important
The most advanced form of life very seldom have reached ,using a math expression an "absolute maximum " , rather a "relative maximum"
In other words , in some cases,

Human beings do it better !

This is also is hardly compatible with a creator

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/20/07 23:15

Quote:

If you compare the anatomy of existing species as well as the one of extinguished species as far as we can understand from the fossils ,it is evident a very slow step by step improvement same as the designer should learn himself from his mistakes,
Moreover this supposed designer is lacking creativity since is repeating and repeating alwayes the same project with small enhancemens

Your using circular reasoning here. Yes this alleged step by step improvement would describe an imperfect designer, but since the "step by step improvement" itself is the thing under debate. Its a logical fallacy.

Quote:

The most advanced form of life very seldom have reached ,using a math expression an "absolute maximum " , rather a "relative maximum"
In other words , in some cases,

Human beings do it better !

This is also is hardly compatible with a creator

We are not evolving at all. No species is. The genome is deteriorating. As a species we are de-volving. Thats once again another fallacy created by ignorance of basic genetics. Unfortunately most evolutionists will never take the time to understand even basic genetics, so its pointless to try to explain because noone will know what Im talking about

Quote:

If so I would expect to find more or less the same kind of fossils regardless of the age of the terrain
How do you explain that the older the terrain is ,the more primitive the fossils are ?

Wouldnt that just be a nice tidy hypothesis? Older rocks have more primitive fossils, newer rocks have more complex fossils.Simple. That would really make things very understandable wouldnt it? However this is not the real world. And as I keep saying, things are always a lot more complex than they appear.

The phenomena you are speaking of is of course uniformitarianism which is the very thing that got people thinking about evolution to begin with.

However it is not an accurate picture of our geology. Ironically the very Yucatan asteroid you were talking about in the last few days and other global traumas represent what scientists and creationists refer to as catastrophism Another word with too many damn letters.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/20/07 23:59

ooops I forgot that for you creationists thousands ( yes thousands ) fossils of animals showings primitive forms of ears or eyes or wings etc are not an evidence of a step by step improvement
Did you realize what you said ? in such a case there is not creator !
I myself I would not be so sure, I thinkk it is unlikely

The scientific methods for dating the age of terrains does count for nothing, of course
I wonder however why some layers of terrain contain only some types of fossils and not others
ok you have for sure an explanation
I fully understand also that you have no time to take care of my education
Can I at least expect that your answers ( right or wrong ) are consistent with my post (right or wrong) ?

What genetic has to do with my claim

"The most advanced form of life very seldom have reached ,using a math expression an "absolute maximum " , rather a "relative maximum" "

I meant, that the supposed perfection of the nature is a bloody lie
There are thousand ( yes thousand ) of ridicoulus mistakes in the so called "Creation"

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/21/07 00:17

Quote:

Did you realize what you said ? in such a case there is not creator !

I realize what I said, I dont think you realized it though.

Quote:

The scientific methods for dating the age of terrains does count for nothing, of course

I never said that. Remember the "gap theory" and the "old earth creationism" we were talking about?

Quote:

I wonder however why some layers of terrain contain only some types of fossils and not others

I dont dispute that. I dispute that the particular layers form a consistent chronological geologic column.

Quote:

I fully understand also that you have no time to take care of my education

No I do have the time, but I dont think you'd listen even if I did, which would be a WASTE of time.

Quote:

What genetic has to do with my claim

Oh ok, well to be honest I really dont get what you were trying to say through your English is a little rusty I assumed you meant that human evolution was better than a designer's evolution, but now that I look back I can read that you meant that manmade design is better.However, because this is your overall point:

Quote:

I meant, that the supposed perfection of the nature is a bloody lie
There are thousand ( yes thousand ) of ridicoulus mistakes in the so called "Creation"

Then genetics IS a very relevant argument. You say that the perfection of nature is a lie, however, as I tried to explain to you, the genome is deteriorating from a starting point of perfection. This is a genetics issue. Can I show you evidence of this claim? Of course. I can show you more evidence then you will ever want to know.

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/21/07 11:30

Quote:

Noone with half a brain is going to accept this as truth just because you say so. Take a minute, find a source, read a book, get something specific.

About elephants and mice
In Africa there is a small mammal , its scientific name is "Elephantulus Edwardii "
The name was given because this small animal is fitted with a proboscis

Obviously zoologists did not even dream any links with elephants even though some other similarities had been already noticed

When molecular comparison became available , researchers were astonished

The genoma of this small mammals is much more similar to the one of the elephant than the one of mices as well as of other small mammmals

Of course you can claim that there is one only designer, the most likely hypothesis is however that the Elephantulus and the Elephants have the same origin
The point is that dimensions are definitly not a key factor as far as evolution is concerned,for the simple reason that a step by step dimension modification is hardly noticiable

Even someone with half brain can grasp this simple concept , the point is that this guy must have at least half brain

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/21/07 13:02

I assumed you meant that human evolution was better than a designer's evolution...

You say that the perfection of nature is a lie, however, as I tried to explain to you, the genome is deteriorating from a starting point of perfection.

You undertood correctly even though I mixed up two different topics

# Topic 1

Human body produces insuline
Human beings do it much better
Nobody can distinguish natural and artificial insuline but human procedure takes a fraction of energy consumption

# Topic 2

Eyes are supposed to be highly sophisticated devices
Of course they are, but...

The bottom of eye is made of "sensors" trasducing the photons of light into an electromagnetic signal and "wires" trasmitting the signal to optical nerve

You would expect that sensors are in the front part while wires are in the rear part of the eye
The direct opposite
In the middle of the retin there is a small hole
The "wires" must pass through this hole to reach the optical nerve, covering the "sensors"

Please spare me from a remark such as " There is a reason but we dont know "

Some animals have sensors and wires in the right position and their sight is much more efficient than ours

There are a plenty of examples such as # 1 and # 2
No I wont make a list for you, read a book from time to time

Genetic devolution ?

Do you seriously mean that Adam and Eve produced insuline in an efficient way ( same as human beings in lab, nowadays ) and their eyes were as good as the ones of the eagles ?

Come on...

There is no designer, it is evident

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/21/07 13:29

" I realize what I said, I dont think you realized it though."

No you didn't
Simply ,you, creationits are so fanatic , that you did not even realize that you are fighting against your own religion

Devolutionism...my God

There are also scientific evidences in favour of the existence of a creator while evolutionism itself does not exclude a creator

1) The big bang

An origin suggests a creator

2) The " first 3 minutes "

The original "magma" could turn into atoms and molecules etc
just in case a lot of parameters were set with a very narrow tollerance range

3) The primordial form of life

While evolution is out of discussion the first living being can not be the result of the evolution for obvious reasons
A rough form of organization was necessary
Pure chance can not definitly produce something capable of evolving

Not to mention that 1) and 2) greatly reduces the amount of time at disposal

3) Coscience and intuition

Our brain was supposed to be a sort of super computer
but it is not like that
It is something substantially different

By the way, I think that sooner or later science will solve also above problems but I must admit it is just an emotional attitude

Re: Dino/bird evolution: new evidence - 04/21/07 13:44

Quote:

I dont dispute that. I dispute that the particular layers form a consistent chronological geologic column.

And why would those layers not form a consistent chronological geologic column? We know a lot about how these layers are formed, how much time it takes and and and ... we can even 'read' the layers and say how a river originally was flowing through a landscape because of the deposition of layers.

Layers that are deeper are usually older and if they are not older, we can usually see why a layer has been turned 'up-side-down' (there are multiple natural causes that cause this) or sideways. To be honest it's not something that you can dispute, it's simply fact.
Cross-examinations together with multiple dating methods and a common sense theory have already proven the interpretation of layers is 100% correct. Even it's dating is correct, although not 100% accurate. (usually the older, the harder to get an exact date)

Layers that should have been inbetween others but are gone, as you seem to suggest, may indeed be 'washed' away because they might have had a lower resistance, less clay or things like that, however, even that process leaves it's tracks and is well known and studied. Geology really isn't wrong,

Quote:

An origin suggests a creator

Only in a biased mind perhaps.

In nature there is no 'creation' (as in the religious sense), we only see examples of reproduction(in whatever way) when it comes to life. For other things, like stones or mountains we can also see their 'circles of life', but that's no creation either,

Quote:

The original "magma" could turn into atoms and molecules etc
just in case a lot of parameters were set with a very narrow tollerance range

This is another 'not in a million years this could have happened' kind of remark, right? Well, we don't know how much time preceeded this so perhaps for this all to happen it really took a long time before there was an event that was 'just right' and thus it's not that strange that it did happen, not even when the chance would be extremely small. Personally I don't think any calculated 'chance' is more than a guess,

Cheers

Re: Dino/bird :NO evidence - 04/21/07 15:53

I dont really have time to reply now, but I havent given up on it, Im just doing some art-game stuff, designing a better website and trying to clean my computer. Of course you understand. I read your replys though and I will certainly get back to it later.
~Thanks

Re: Dino/bird :NO evidence - 04/21/07 20:01

There is really not much point to debatating this issue though. I started this thread just the see what creationists would come up with to attack this evidence. It seems that they have nothing new or substantive, just the same old arguments demanding impossible proof.

Re: Dino/bird :NO evidence - 04/21/07 20:32

Quote:

There is really not much point to debatating this issue though. I started this thread just the see what creationists would come up with to attack this evidence. It seems that they have nothing new or substantive, just the same old arguments demanding impossible proof.

Very true. There is no need to continue this debate, we creationists have already shown, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that this "new evidence" is really "no evidence". Thank you gentleman for your time.

Re: Dino/bird :NO evidence - 04/21/07 20:49

aaaaaaaahh Matt you offered Nitro a way out
Well, actually he did his best
An impossible mission

Re: Dino/bird :NO evidence - 04/21/07 20:53

Quote:

aaaaaaaahh Matt you offered Nitro a way out
Well, actually he did his best
An impossible mission

Your a funny guy Alberto and because I like humor I will try not to hurt you too bad next time.

Re: Dino/bird : new evidence - 04/21/07 23:16

Quote:

Very true. There is no need to continue this debate, we creationists have already shown, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that this "new evidence" is really "no evidence". Thank you gentleman for your time.

Yeah? Lol, like where, why and how???

Cheers

Re: Dino/bird : new evidence - 04/22/07 05:47

That is is what i'm saying.. they are in a seperate world fomr normal poeple...
© 2024 lite-C Forums