A riddle

Posted By: jcl

A riddle - 10/24/06 10:57

I think you've all seen the sequential flashing of an airport's runway lights when approaching an airport. The flash sequence appears to be wired so that the lights always "run" towards the end of the runway.

Now imagine that you approach an airport in a small plane and see that the runway lights are running away from you. You land, then take off immediately and look back to the runway. The lights still run away from you, now towards the other end. While on approach the lights moved in the same direction as your airplane, they now seem to go into the opposite direction.

What might be the explanation for that phenomenon? Does the tower always change the direction of the light sequence depending on whether an airplane is taking off or landing? Or could there be another explanation?
Posted By: ello

Re: A riddle - 10/24/06 11:26

suddenly i thought of hat phenomen which occurs when wheels turn fast. they seem to turn backwards

Re: A riddle - 10/24/06 11:41

Only in a movie. You never see them turn backwards in real life.

But I give another hint: You make a 90 degree turn and after some time you again look back to our hypothetical airport. In far distance you're now seeing the runway from the side. The runway lights now don't move anymore but appear to flash synchroneously!
Posted By: Damocles

Re: A riddle - 10/24/06 12:32

Maby the lights dont flash with the same light into all directions.
(they are flat anyway, for savety reasons)
Such that only a 45degree angle is lighted up.
This way the plot can see if he is heading toward the runway, of is off course.

Re: A riddle - 10/24/06 12:49

Such a system exists, but with another sort of lights. The runway edge lights of airports don't use different lights for different angles.
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: A riddle - 10/24/06 12:49

lol, sounds like the time and distance could be the reason (not really). The lights more far away spread the light earlier but are more far away, so the light needs longer to get to the person standing and watching there, and so the closer lights are seen first even if they flash later
But since light has no speed on earth because its so freakin fast this canīt be the reason.

So maybe the light is getting reflected by the hot gas and particles which came out of the plane while landing. So we get a fata-morgana on the airport. And since fata morganas are mirrored the light the most far away and the closest get switched their positions.

Or 3.) The brain is still thinking the light goes away, even if the eyes see something different the brain is too lazy to correct that and uses as always the short before saved memory.

Re: A riddle - 10/24/06 12:54

Yes, an effect of the finite light speed is an interesting idea. And the flashes indeed appear to move very fast - they run over the whole runway distance in a split second. But on the other hand, the speed of light is very high - 300.000 km/sec. Surely we can't visually see light from closer light sources arrive earlier... or can we?
Posted By: Damocles

Re: A riddle - 10/24/06 13:04

If the runway is 300.000 km long, you would see a delay of 1 second,
With a 3 km runway that is a delay of 0.00001 seconds,
so this cant be it.

If the light is in a prism, the aircraftmovement (up down)
will result in the lights changing it brighness with
a changing hight.
Posted By: Excessus

Re: A riddle - 10/24/06 13:10

My theory:

Imagine rendering this. When you are moving away from the runway, the lights positions would apear to move up in the y direction on your screen. This is because you are going up so the distance between the lights on your screen gets bigger (it would be biggest if you are right above the runway). Vice versa for approaching the runway. To envision this better, choose two points on your table (put your fingers there) and now look at it from above and from the side. When looking at it from the side, the distance between the points on the y axis of your viewing plane is 0.

I think our brain sees the light as a different object when it is on or off. While it is on, the light seems to move up on your 'screen', then it goes off ('dissapears') and goes on again: 'reapears' (if it would continue to move 'up' at that speed) at the position of the next light.

Now if the lights would be on all the time we would see this as just the effect of going down but because of the flashing they seem to move away.
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: A riddle - 10/24/06 18:25

never thought of this but it must be some sort of optical illusion.
i would guess that the brain/eyes takes longer to register smaller lights/objects so it seams that more distant lights have a decay though all lights are lit at the same time.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: A riddle - 10/24/06 18:32

yes, maybe it's an optical illusion. like blattsalat described it or maybe similar to 3d drawings of a stair where you can choose to see it going up or down.

i have never seen these lights in reality though...
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: A riddle - 10/24/06 18:48

I think it's an optical illusion too, perhaps our brain really is too slow? The weird effect is the biggest when looking at an airstrip in the dark. I guess, that flashes and darkness really mess up our 'I see a flash'-depth interpretation somehow hahaha.

Cheers
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: A riddle - 10/24/06 19:25

Quote:

I think our brain sees the light as a different object when it is on or off. While it is on, the light seems to move up on your 'screen', then it goes off ('dissapears') and goes on again: 'reapears' (if it would continue to move 'up' at that speed) at the position of the next light.

I guess, Excessus is right.
This means, it is the sort of optical illusion of
turning wheels in movies that ello mentioned*:
static pictures interupted by darkness
which are re-connected by the brain to get a continuous movement.
------
*- the wheels which seemed to turn back while they turn fast forward -

Re: A riddle - 10/24/06 19:40

About the wheels, that's only true for anything recorded I think hehehe.

Quote:

I've got a remote controlled model helicopter and when the blades start spinning you never see an optical illusion of them 'turning backwards in slowmotion', this must either be a standard movie effect or the effect of simply recording something and playing it back with a limited (lower) amount of frames per second ...

As for the phenomenon, it's pretty interesting. Perhaps the brain is fast enough to see two different lights 'arrive' at different times, but I think the 'auto correction' of the brain would mess things up.

When I think of it, if our brain would be able to see or notice two lights arrive at different times, wouldn't this cause a gigantic smearing effect for all lights we see, because it would imply that we could actually see the lightbeams? So I think our brains are not that fast, or it may 'over correct' what we see when 'interpretating'.

Cheers

Re: A riddle - 10/25/06 08:19

Ok, I'll reveal the solution of the riddle.

A position-dependent flash sequence can have two reasons. The simplest one is that it's a very old airport with rotating beacons for the runway lights. All beacons rotate synchroneously, so their light beams always have the same angle. Therefore when looking at the runway sidewards from a distance, they all flash at the same time. However when an aircraft approaches the runway or takes off, the beacons are seen in slightly different directions by the pilot, so their light beams become visible in sequence.

However, our airport doesn't use rotating beacons but xenon flashes. Still, you see them flash in sequence even when they all light up at the same time. The reason is indeed the optical effect mentioned by Blattsalat. Our optical nerves react faster on a bright flash than on a dim flash, so close lights are seen a little earlier than far-away lights. Although the flashes appear to have the same brightness, it's an optical illusion - a flash close to us has in fact four times the brightness than a flash in twice the distance. For a similar reason, when you see street lamps suddenly go on in the evening, you have the impression that they are switched on in sequence.

BTW, this was a small hypothetical airport - big commercial airports use non-flashing runway lights and lights that flash in a real sequence _before_ the runway.
Posted By: alphaindigo

Re: A riddle - 10/25/06 09:42

the phenomenon with the turning wheels or ther spinning objects apearing to turn the wrontg way only apears at a specific speed this is when the wheel has turned almost completely since the last frame of the movie and so the brain percieves it as moveing backwards, it then apears when the wheel has done almost two rotations since the last frame and so on. it is because film is a seriese of pictures whereas in real life we see the continual stream of movement so dont notice it.
Posted By: Dan Silverman

Re: A riddle - 10/26/06 20:50

Quote:

This is not true. It can indeed be seen in real life. In fact, my entire family was travelling north on a highway when we were passing an 18 wheeler (a truck). One of my kids became really excited and asked outloud why the front wheels of that truck were moving backwards! We all looked and sure enough the illusion of the wheels moving backwards was very strong! The truck had very shiney rims with many, many nuts/bolts to hold the tire onto the hub. It was a bright day and the light reflecting off the rims was pretty intense. However, the nuts looked as if they were moving in the opposite direction and thus the wheel looked like it was rotating backwards.
Posted By: Grimber

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 01:02

has to do with strobic effect and the mechanics in how our eyes work ( we don't see continuously, but in 'frames' just like a movie or video game)

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 03:24

the wheel effect has to do with the "scanning" frequenz of our eyes/brain =~ 24frames a second

if the wheel turns exactly the angle of one spoke in one frame our eye cant recognize if its turning forward or backwards. similar to what happens if you post 2 screenshots next to each other where one wheel has turned just the ammount of one or a multiple of the spoke angle. (the wheels match on each other so does our brain "see" it as well)

if now the wheel turns just a little bit less then the distance of the single spokes it seams to turn backwards.

this would work with a flip-book as well or your monitor: imagine a point at the very right of the screen. Now with every frame the point moves 100% of the direction. the result would be nothing - a still standing point.
if the point now only moves 99% of this direction per frame, it will start to move slowly from the right side to the left one till it appears on the origin again.

now its up to you to figure out what happens at 10% or even at 50%

phew, way to much text for something so unimportant like this
especially if you put some spin-wheels on your car

sreehc

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 03:42

our eyes don't have a scanning frequency or a shutter like a film/video camera.

i think sometimes wheels themselves can work like a camera shutter. for example if you look through openings of the rims at something moving behind them or if some reflection on the chrome only happens at a certain angle which changes while overtaking the vehicle or something like that. then your eyes receive light flashes at a certain frequency and a strobe effect occurs.

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 03:57

its not our eyes but the brain and the frequency it needs to calculate what input it gets from the eyes.
if our brain would "see" faster we would be able to see bullets shot out of a gun.
because its damn slow we need special flare ammuniton for it

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 04:12

of course our vision bandwidth is limited but there is no separation into frames at a certain frequency or something like that. we see continuously and not like a camera.

also if our temporal resolution were limited to ~ 24fps we couldn't see the difference between film and video footage that easily and games wouldn't look better at 60fps but 24fps would suffice.

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 04:31

The point of my post, of course, was not about HOW it happens in real life, but that it CAN happen (contrary to what JCL stated).
Posted By: EX Citer

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 07:14

I donīt think lifeforms see in pictures. If something moves very fast we see a blurred mix of endless sequences. Very simple example, if you watch out of the driving train you donīt see every third bush, you see a smeared green line. Or a rotating picture with black and white stripes gets, grey, acutally it doesnt gets grey it gets colorfull, but thatīs still not a single picture, but a mix of endless pictures.

By the way, semimodern video games, have the choice to play them with 50Hz or 60Hz. And with 60Hz it looks indeed more realistic. My teacher always says 30 frames are enough for a prerendered movie, but I think that's is so wrong because we see the interpolated frames as well. The motion blur. I mean if something moves with 60 frames per second in on 1/6second from left outside of the screen to right outside of the screen we should recognize something hushing from left to right. With 30 frames the movement from left to right has interuptions and should be less visible. Yeah itīs moving the same fast, but with bigger interuptions the object should be more invisible.

Itīs like watching somethign when a stroboskob is on isnīt as easy as without stroboskob.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 08:06

from what i've heard, the frequency at which our brain interprets the image coming into our eyes is between 60 and 80 hertz. my old software design teacher told me this when i asked him for some help and he said "excuse me" and changed the settings up to 80 hertz and explained that otherwise the image was constantly flickering, from what he could see. a quick look at wikipedia doesn't seem to confirm this, but that's just what i heard.

julz

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 08:31

Quote:

This is not true. It can indeed be seen in real life. In fact, my entire family was travelling north on a highway when we were passing an 18 wheeler (a truck). One of my kids became really excited and asked outloud why the front wheels of that truck were moving backwards! We all looked and sure enough the illusion of the wheels moving backwards was very strong! The truck had very shiney rims with many, many nuts/bolts to hold the tire onto the hub. It was a bright day and the light reflecting off the rims was pretty intense. However, the nuts looked as if they were moving in the opposite direction and thus the wheel looked like it was rotating backwards.

Our brain has no fixed 'frame rate' and our eyes have definitely no shutter. Nevertheless, contrary to what I said you can indeed observe the backwards rotating effect in real life. The prerequisite is that something external must then act as a shutter.

The most usual effect is a stroboscobe. When lighting a rotating wheel with a stroboscobe that flashes faster than the rotation speed, you see it slowly turn backwards. If the stroboscobe flashes slower, you can see the wheel slowly turning forward. If you ever have adjusted the distributor arm of a car engine you know the effect.

In the case of your truck, what your kids were seeing was a double reflection. Sun light was reflected from two different wheels into their eyes, and both wheels had a slightly different rotation speed (due to a different diameter). So you probably saw one wheel slowly turning backwards and another one forward. Maybe the other wheel was not directly visible so the backwards effect was predominant.

You can use that effect to ask your kids small riddles, for instance "Which wheel has a newer tire, the backwards rotating or the other one?"

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 08:59

Quote:

In the case of your truck, what your kids were seeing was a double reflection. Sun light was reflected from two different wheels into their eyes, and both wheels had a slightly different rotation speed (due to a different diameter). So you probably saw one wheel slowly turning backwards and another one forward. Maybe the other wheel was not directly visible so the backwards effect was predominant.

While I hear what you are saying, JCL, I highly doubt this is what happened. The affect was on the front wheel and the second wheel on th cab was a bit too far away to cause this affect. The wheels on the trailer did not have shiny rims. I am guessing it is even simpler than you stated. It probably only had to do with the way the light was reflecting off the nuts, onto the rim and back into our eyes. BTW - It wasn't just my children that saw it. I did too. It was quite cool.

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 09:02

No, one reflection would not suffice for that. You need two periodic effects with slightly different frequencies. So the second one was likely a reflection from another wheel. Maybe it was the wheel of your own car that you have seen reflected in the truck's wheel. Or it was a reflection from a vibrating part of the truck.
Posted By: FoxHound

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 12:07

I see this all the time actually. Seems once a car gets past 40mph the wheels seem to go backwards. I'm also very near sighted and wear contacts so this might have something to do with it.

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 12:45

of course there is no framerate for our visual organs (nobody said that). the fact that you see blurred hands if you move it fast enough infront of your eyes idicates the speed our brain needs to interprete the visual ("framerate" if you dont mind the word ).
i doubt this spinback effect can be seen in real life. because if the wheel turns fast enough it will start to look blurred instead of turning backwards.

the strobe effect jlc mentioned (same as the frames of a movie) is what "saves" the position of the wheel. if it fits the alias effect sheme then our brain will interprete it as backwards moving, still standing or forward motion.

in real life other optical illusion would be needed i think to achieve this effect (if possible)...something that "burns" or fakes single frames to our visual system as a tv would do (strobe lights maybe)

i also doubt it can be seen in real life (at least that easy) though i have never thought about it so far. I will have to take a look today when a car passes by

cheers
Posted By: FoxHound

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 13:09

You need to be moving about the same speed as the car. Best to do this from a stand still and speed up witht he car, also best not to be driving while doing this.
Posted By: Grimber

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 16:26

actualy, there is a 'frame rate' to our vision. as you know we see by light passing to our retina to the rods and cones, which are sensitive to differnt frequencies of light ( color).

but the rods and cones do not run continuosly. but turn on and off rapidly

The rods and cones contain visual pigments. Visual pigments are much like any other pigments in that they absorb light with absorption sensitivities that are wavelength dependent. The visual pigments have a special property, however, in that when a visual pigment absorbs a photon of light it changes molecular shape and at the same time releases energy. The pigment in this changed molecular form absorbs light less well than before and thus is often said to have been bleached. The release of energy by the pigment and the change in shape of the molecule together cause the cell to fire, that is to release an electrical signal. which then travels down the optic nerve to the brain. A bleched receptor , now far less sensitive to light won't release another electrial signal ( unless hit with significatnly intense light, like a blinding light)

The melinin in our eyes ( same chemical that causes skin pigmentation based on the quantity of melinin retaind by a cell, which also determins our eye color, darker the eye color the mroe melinin your eye has) chemicaly reacts in your rods and cones to unbleach them to reset these photo receptor cells in your retina for light sensitivity. the Iris ( the colored part of your eye) acts like a polerizing filter on a camera. To filter light intensity. Again the iris color reflects the ammount of melinin in the eye, and the more melinin the more it blocks light.

( side note, Melinin naturaly is a black color, because it absorbs light ( thus why you see things black))

It's not our brain that divides vision into frames, its the mechanics of our eyes. the very basics of how our vision works which was reversed engineered to create the picture tube decades ago. Even today some of the mechanics and chemical processes arn't fully understood ( its hard to test an operating organic vision system afterall)

Re: A riddle - 10/27/06 17:50

Thanks for the explanation. I think it makes sense that our eyes do have a limit on the amount of impulses that can be fired, otherwise we would be constantly blinded by light.

Cheers
© 2024 lite-C Forums