Big Bang

Posted By: Alberto

Big Bang - 08/05/06 21:02

Hello

The beleivers in God's existance try to convince people that evolutionism can be the result of an intelligent design
A lost battle ,in my opinion
It is not even worthwhile mentioning creationism, being really a nonsense.

However science can also support religion
The theory of big bang is widly accepted

It is hard to think at a universe without a beginning , but it is even harder in my opinion to think at a universe with a beginning but without a creator

What do the doubters in God's existence reply ?

In my opinion the most likely solution is a sort of Demiurg
God have created the universe but he does not take care of it
Seriously I dont' beleive in this alternative but I can not find a better explanation
Posted By: ptrc1c

Re: Big Bang - 08/06/06 01:11

Alberto
I find it amazing that people always contemplate the "beginning" of the universe and try to explain it but they cannot provide the answer to the "end" of the universe. I am no physics master but I know that gravity should eventually lead to the reverse of the "big bang" yet the evidence points to a continually expanding universe. And can somebody explain the particles that exist in a vacuum.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Big Bang - 08/06/06 05:49

i always wanted to understand that, space is a vacuum..... so why is there distance between everything, and its not like a platic bottle with all the air sucked out of it, shrinking together, not only that, the universe is expanding.... to where? other universes? what describes a universe, were are the boudary lines?

Re: Big Bang - 08/06/06 08:04

Ptr1c and lostclimate

The theory of relativity can provide an answer to your questions
I do not mean I grasp the theory , of course
You ,same as me and anybody else and Newton too, assume that space is a sort of empty box
The universe is expanding inside the box but where are the boundary lines ?
According to Einstein it is not like that
Space(and time)can not be separated from matter
If matter does not exist then also space and time do not exist
However I dont'think, as far as I know, that the theory of relativity can answer my original question.
Not only, Einstein himself realized that it was a key issue
He did what a scientist should never do
He introduced a "constant" in his equation to "force" the universe to be "stable"
No beginning, no end
But some years after the expansion of universe and the big bang have been proved beyond any reasonable doubt
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Big Bang - 08/06/06 09:30

Infinity isn't hard to understand, yet try to fit it inside any theory and people will start to get headaches because they ask the wrong questions imho hehehe.

The start or end of things is quite irrelevant when something goes on for infinity and when what you really want to know is about that infinity.

I know there's one flaw in this reasoning, because things that are infinite can have a start and simply go on forever after that, however as for the beginning of things and the big bang, what exactly do we know about before the Big Bang? So, that does mean that we can't say for sure that it's the start,

Cheers

Re: Big Bang - 08/06/06 10:27

Actually an answer might be :

What about before a big bang ?
Is the big bang the start ?

A possible explanation might be a continuos expansion and contraction of universe
But as far as I Know, this hypothesis does not fit with the theory
There was one only big bang

Nowadays Science is geared toward atheism
Maybe scientists are wrong , of course but it is a matter of fact

However big bang is more in favour of a religious wiepoint, in my opinion

May anybody suggest a book or article or a web site whereas this topic is discussed ?

Re: Big Bang - 08/06/06 16:37

Yes, those questions are very good ones, that's what would have to be researched somehow.

I'm not quite getting though, why the big bang theory would be in favor of a religious viewpoint? It's not an atheistic viewpoint either, it's a scientific viewpoint, however I think I do understand where you are comming from, because of this quote;

Quote:

Nowadays Science is geared toward atheism

Yes, it seems geared towards atheism, but that's because theists usually claim their religion can't be proven or disproven with science, since science doesn't deal with the supernatural and the like. In my opinion this claim is only true for about half of everything what might be possible to disproof. Disproving the bible would be a start and as for it's historical 'truths', it's very possible to disproof it, infact most of it doesn't get any true support by serious scientific research. Think of archaeological research not supporting some if not most of the biblical (historical) claims. (Most of the things that could be supported by archaeological research turns out to be exagerated at least if not downright wrong, that's one area of science that contradicts the bible, and there are more, like geology, but also in the physics area, like turning water into whine ...).

Okey, I'm drifting away off topic here I know, but since theists do not even have a theory other than 'it happened' and 'the big bang theory is wrong', I can't help it hehehe. Off course there's plenty of room to agree with the Big Bang theory and still be religious, but yeah ... often they don't ...

Cheers

Re: Big Bang - 08/06/06 17:12

I am not mixing up science and religion I mean that scientists are people as anybody else
Well it is a matter of fact that most of the scientists nowadays are not religious people
However there is an important issue related to my original question :
In the 19° century most of the phisics were atheists while most of bio's , Darwin included,were theist
For obvious reasons, I suppose
Nowadays it is the direct opposite
It is hard to find a religious biochemic while there are a lot of phisics who beleive in God
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Big Bang - 08/07/06 02:35

It is hard to find a religious biochemic while there are a lot of phisics who beleive in God

i wonder where you got that theory from.
its not true. a lot of scientists are religious. biologist or physics.

a nice idea about the "start of the univers" is the definition of existence.

for example our eyes can only see moving objects.
to be able to get input our eyes are moving very fast every second. so as soon as everything would stop or freeze we wouldnt see anything anymore.

now imagine the same sheme for "existence". we are because we move. if we stop we are no more.
so maybe like the infitity for time there is the infinity for possibilities and our existence is not defined by a time value but by the fact that we and our universe move corresponding to be able to exist within an infinitive web of "movements".

my biggest problem with the "creation" theory is the reason why. all of this "god created the time and the earth aso" sounds to me like somone got bored and decided to build something.

before arguing if god created everything i would like to know "why should he had done it?". and "becasue he is almighty" is not an acceptable argument.

if someone is almighty why create somehing so unimportant like physical existence.
ist any spiritual goal to lose the bounds of this existence to enter a universal level.
so if someone is allready at the finish line, why bothering to build a new start?

cheers
Posted By: ISG

Re: Big Bang - 08/07/06 03:23

When the big bang actually occured, well we can use the following as a great example of how it expanded.

For instance, take an unbaked chocolate chip cookie (yum...) for example. Prior to it being baked, you have a small area with chocolate chips in it (all within a small area). However, when you shove that delicious cookie in the oven the entire area expands, as well as the chocolate chips move apart from one another. Now as a final product you have a multiple of more room since it was baked (more area), and your chocolate chips are spread out moreso than from the start.
**This is my artistic, ha, illustration of what I'm talking about**

In a way this is how our universe works too. Instead of the oven stopping though, so far it just keeps on expanding and hasn't stopped yet. So every day our universe is gradually getting bigger and giving more room for other galaxies to move further and further apart (and sometimes maybe even collide) but they are given more freedom room to move.

Re: Big Bang - 08/07/06 03:32

great, now i want some cookies.
damn universe
Posted By: ISG

Re: Big Bang - 08/07/06 03:45

Hey now, it was the best example I could think of for this situation. I think it was a mighty tastey idea though!!
Posted By: 3DRichard

Re: Big Bang - 08/08/06 18:14

Maybe someday universe will disappear, like cookie

Mmmmmmm... Yummy
Sorry for your universe ISG, oops i mean cookie, it was so tempting and tasty , i couldn't resist.
Posted By: Bazje

Re: Big Bang - 08/14/06 12:44

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Re: Big Bang - 08/23/06 17:07

Quote:

i wonder where you got that theory from.
its not true. a lot of scientists are religious. biologist or physics.

Creationists published a list of scientists who beleive in God
Some hundreds
Evolutionists replied, publishing the list of scientists who do not beleive in God and whose name is James ( or an other first name, I dont remeber exactly)
Some thousands
Posted By: Grimber

Re: Big Bang - 08/24/06 03:02

what does it matter?

god can't be proven, god can't be disproven.
what IS true is that

1. science admits when it's got something wrong, where as religion and the 'faithful' will violate even their own laws of thier faith then admit they made a mistake.

2. scienists doesn't spend much of there efforts trying to disprove religion, in fact they spend much time learning and understanding relgion and it/thier histories from an object, unbiased viewpoint.
relgion and follows of such expend a great deal of effort trying to eliminate science as a whole, sheerly on the permise of "I don't see how..." statements clearly self evidant that no effort has been put forward to attaempt to understand the material with an 'un-opinionated' viewpoint

3. science has not been the source point for wars, conflicts and attocities. Scince though ends up being the tools of war.
Religion though has throughout history ( even today) been a significate source for war, violant conflict and attrocities to be committed.

Religion has had more of a negative impact on humans, humanity, and human history then any positive one. so why 'should' people belive in anymore.

Re: Big Bang - 08/24/06 03:51

science and religion or better said philosophy in general (since its more then "just" religion) are not contra productive nor do they exclude each other at all.

science can build a nuke but cant answer the "why".
on the other hand philosophy tries to get an answer to this while it cant answer the "how".

though both are vital to get a satisifying result at the end.

if you believe in god is a matter of definition. a bearded old man sitting in the clouds, i dont think so.
the one who snips with his fingers (why does god need fingers if he is almighty??) and creates everything, doesnt sound reasonable at all.
a kind of individual power or "force" that makes everything more worth then the sum of all its components - maybe.

you can build a microwave and as a scientific result you have built a microwave.
in the same time you can build a microwave to feed people who cant pay lot for food and you have built more then just a microwave.
its simple math. sience+philosophy=2 and this is more then just 1

personaly i dont believe in organized religions but i believe in religion as in "the way you decide to live your life". and by this i dont mean if you pray or do certain tasks aso.
its the way you treat everyone else arround you.

if you make your life more worth then the sum of days you lived then you can call yourself a "believer". simply because you believe that there is more then you can think of. and everyting is worth more then you could ever imagine.

does this answer anything about the big bang?! no, definitely not. and thats the most important part about it.

Re: Big Bang - 08/24/06 08:42

Quote:

what does it matter?

god can't be proven, god can't be disproven.

A very common claim but I dont' agree with it even though a final answer has not been found, yet

Claiming that philosphy and science deal with totaly different stuff is a nonsense in my opinion

Let's consider for example the problem of " Soul "
Classic philosophy we have been taught at school claim that there are animal and human kind of souls
The former is mortal but in any case it is something separated from matter

Well I have read a lab test
You split a cylindric shaped micro organism ( the tobacco virus) in two pieces
The microrganism dies
Then you glue the two pieces togheter the microrganism starts living again

I think it is hard to keep beleiving in the existence of an animal soul !
So from this point of view science is not in favour of religion

Getting better to the big bang however it is in favour of the existence of a creator, in my opinion

Re: Big Bang - 08/24/06 12:11

the spiritual soul is a philosophical issue 100% and has nothing to do with science at all. so i dont see the connection.

-->..Then you glue the two pieces togheter the microrganism starts living again..

i also dont see how this proofs or disproofs a soul in any way. since its not scientific it cant be done this way to start with.

if you cut a finger from a human being he still can live and he still can have his soul. if you transplant all his inner organs its the same. even if his brain fails to work anymore this doesnt mean he is dead nor does it mean he loses his "sould" from the spiritual view.
as the tobacco virus i dont see any connection here.

-->..Classic philosophy we have been taught at school claim that there are animal and human kind of souls

i havent heared that so far. nor do have other ancient cultures like native amaricans, greeks aso. the spirit and sould within any living creature is part of the whole system of existence.
take the native americans or indian (the presenst country india)...their religion sets the "soul" and spirit of animals equal to the humans. reincarnation as an animal is an honor and their spirits are vital parts of their lives.
the represent human attitiudes like strenghts, wisedom aso.

-->..Getting better to the big bang however it is in favour of the existence of a creator, in my opinion..

the problem starts with the simple slogan "i WANT to believe!". even if we ever find strong and unchangable facts for a cosmical big bang and the absence of some creator, this will never stop sentences like "yes, but god faked all of this that way so he can keep unnoticable".

right now creationist use this same analogy with age dating methods or the ange of the earth in general. this is no argument at all and cant be prooved or disprooved so its not scientific in the first place.

religion is a matter of believe and science a matter of facts. but you will need both at the same time to make one of them work.

a spiritual mind without knowledge is lost as well as the smartest mind is useless without a ethical/religious/spiritual (call it how you like) guide.

i think "and god created all mankind" should be rewritten into "and all mankind created god" (this is not ment negative at all!)
from the philosophical point of view that just means that all living forms are more then just biological, working constructions. believing into a higher level of existence then presence is the difference between us and a stone.

so whatever you do, whatever you investigate, try to create or invent is more then the fact that you can do it.
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: Big Bang - 08/24/06 13:49

umm... wasn't this thread just about the universe....can we stay on topic?

i agree with phoemox's universal discription, it's infinate, although a human mind may not be able to understand that it is infinate, and that anything can be infinate, it is. you do not have to understand the universe for it to exist the way it does.

@3drichard: hey, that bite mark looks like mine...how did you get that cookie, i want it back.

Re: Big Bang - 08/24/06 14:23

we are on topic. the issue here is if science is euqual to philosophy. because if it is the creation of the universe is simple: some superpower dropped by and snipped with his fingers. viola.

the issue with the infinite universe has the problem that science shows that it is finite in space and time.
the issue is more if it is the only one or not and how the whole system works together.

Re: Big Bang - 08/25/06 19:10

Quote:

the issue with the infinite universe has the problem that science shows that it is finite in space and time.
the issue is more if it is the only one or not and how the whole system works together.

I thought scientists actually thought the universe is infinite, as in 'expanding in volume and no sign of stopping anytime soon'? Besides, we don't life long enough to fully determine wether or not something is infact infinite, apart from not being able to really look far enough into the past.

When I'm not mistaken, we can't trully see the boundaries of the universe, or at least we think we can't. The best bet we got is based upon a theory which could be wrong, eventhough it sounds pretty reasonable to me.

web page

Quote:

i agree with phoemox's universal discription, it's infinate, although a human mind may not be able to understand that it is infinate, and that anything can be infinate, it is. you do not have to understand the universe for it to exist the way it does.

That's what I meant indeed. We can't see as far as might be needed to see the boundaries, if there even are any. And if there are no boundaries to be seen, will it be simply because we can't look far enough, or because it's infinitely further away because the universe is infinite? It's a 3 to 1 situation, where 'infinite universe' still has the upper hand if you ask me, or?

I'm still looking for some good reading material on the expansion of the universe, since I do not understand how they actually have found out this is happening. Well, seeing several galaxies move further and further away is one thing, but concluding the whole universe is expanding is another step. I'm especially curious about the details why and how they exactly came to that conclusion.

Cheers

Re: Big Bang - 08/25/06 20:53

Quote:

Well, seeing several galaxies move further and further away is one thing, but concluding the whole universe is expanding is another step. I'm especially curious about the details why and how they exactly came to that conclusion.

Cheers

As far as I know this is the only reason why they come to that conclusion

At the beginning , Einstein did not beleive in an expanding universe but Hubbles succeeded in convincing him

The theory of the relativity itself admit any kind of universe : expanding - stable - contracting
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Big Bang - 08/25/06 22:51

Everything that can be seen from earth seems to be expanding.. but that doesnt mean somewhere there aren't other galactic superclusters that aren't expanding, or are expanding from another point.. etc. Cosmology has some inherent limitations; you can only predict what you cant see, not assume.

The idea that the Universe is just all that we can see from Earth is bound to be false.

Re: Big Bang - 08/26/06 10:48

Quote:

you can only predict what you cant see, not assume.
The idea that the Universe is just all that we can see from Earth is bound to be false.

Well , you should should reject 99 % of science discoveries, then !!!

If billions galaxies are moving away from earth and just a few of them are getting closer it is defintly unlikely that the situation is different in the remote part of universe

However the expansion of universe is also supported by the theory of relativity, up to a certain extent,even though it is not the unique solution of the Einstein's cosmology equation

According to the theory of relativity , space is not just an empty box, rather it is a sort of protuberation of matter

Imagine some ants (the galaxies) walking on the surface of a ball (The space)

If the radius of the ball increases than also the distance among the ants alwayes increase even though the ants move to random directions

This is the reason why some galaxies move away at a speed higher than the speed of the light
The speed limit does not take into account the deformation of the space

Beside an non uniform deformation of the space, is not consistent, as far as I know with the theory
Posted By: MathewAllen

Re: Big Bang - 09/12/06 03:43

WOAH
this just occured to me.
What happens if we're moving the speed of light
And another galaxy is too
and we're going the opposite direction?
Does the relative speed limit hold?
I can't believe I've never thought of that.
Since its late at night I can't even contemplate what it would mean if the speed limit holds.
If it doesn't that explains the galaxies faster then light, without and expanding space.
Posted By: jcl

Re: Big Bang - 09/12/06 08:48

No, the relative speed limit does not hold in that case. In fact all galaxies further away than a certain distance (46 billion light years) are moving away from us faster than the speed of light.

This is because the galaxies are not really moving, but the space is expanding. If you had two rockets moving away from each other, each one with almost the speed of light, their relative speed would not be greater than the speed of light.

Re: Big Bang - 09/15/06 18:50

Quote:

WOAH
What happens if we're moving the speed of light

The point is that this question does no make sense
People (I include myself of course ) can not fully get rid of their ego centric view of the universe
According to the theory of relativity all the observers can considered themselves as still.

Re: Big Bang - 09/15/06 19:56

Just some words more
Claiming :

We are moving...
We are going to opposite direction...

You assume the existence of the " Empty box " (The space) to which you refer yours and the other object's speed
Claiming

I am moving.....

We normaly mean ....relative to the ground
It easy to replace earth (ground) with a generic absolute coord system
It is what Newton did.
On the contrary it is hard to eliminate the "Absolute 3d Coord system "
Suppose for a while that universe disappears
Our intuition assume that as long as you we define a 3d ccord system then we can define a speed
But it is not Einstein's opinion
According to the theory of relativity,If matter does not exist also space and time do not exist

Re: Big Bang - 09/17/06 15:36

Quote:

On the contrary it is hard to eliminate the "Absolute 3d Coord system "

I might not understand you correctly, but this doesn't even exist. To determine distance differences and/or relative location you'd need to know the location of 2 (2D-distance) to 3 (3D distance+direction) 3D points. Those 3 points can have any location (value) you'd assign to them, as long it's correct in relative comparison to eachother. Even with an empty box, you'd need matter to be able to compare locations, especially when you don't know the boundaries, hence absolute locations do not exist.

In a universe that's expanding, there's no location that keeps the same coordinates, always. Simply put, a universe that's expanding can have a central point that's moving, because it's boundaries change. Off course you could simply define a location and calculate it's deviation by the expansion of the universe over time, but what good would that be when distances, time and direction are all relative to other things (matter) as Einstein figured out? An artificial grid of absolute coordinates makes absolutely no sense in my opinion.

Cheers

Re: Big Bang - 09/17/06 17:45

Maybe I did not make myself understood
MatthewAllen asked

we're moving the speed of light
And another galaxy is too
and we're going the opposite direction?
Does the relative speed limit hold?

I supposed MattheewAleen meant

If we are driving on the motorway and an other car is moving towards us at the same speed, then the other car is moving towards us at a double speed

Is it the same situation in case of a galaxi moving at the speed of the light towards the earth ?

Forget for a while the expansion of the universe
The answer is negative
The galaxi can not exceed the speed of the light

Why ?

Claiming ;
My car is driving at the speed : my.speed
The other car is moving at the speed : you.speed
It is implicit that we refer my.speed and you.speed to the same coord system :
The earth
In other words we can define :
- two relative coord system (the cars)
- one absolute coord system (The earth)

The question is :

Can we extend this concept to the whole universe ?

Common sense and and Newton say : yes, in theory it is possible

Einstein said : no, it is not possible neither in practice nor in theory

If MatthewAllen claim

The galaxi is moving at the speed...

Einstein would ask him

What coord system are you referring to ?

According to the theory of relativity only local coord systems make sense
It is not possible to define an absolute coord system

Same consideration as far as time is concerned

Re: Big Bang - 09/17/06 18:56

Thank you for your explanation It seems I agree with Einstein here, lol hahaha,

Cheers
Posted By: rogodoy

Re: Big Bang - 09/29/06 05:55

One way to say a galaxy is moving in a expansion is that: "their lines were shifted to long wavelengths(to lower frequencies). If the redshift was due to the Doppler effect, they are moving away from the Milk Way, at speeds of up to a thousand kilometers per second". If its line is blueshifted it is moving toward us! But just Andromeda is moving toward us and the others galaxies are receding from each other in all directions!

If the universe is finite we will see the night bright and blue. If the universe is infinite the night would be bright, because is light forever!

But, the sky at night is dark, it means, the light coming from the infinity, is finite, its not have enought time to get here and bright the sky. The expansion of the universe was so fast, that light from other galaxies was overwelmed by the expansion!

Re: Big Bang - 09/29/06 09:43

Interesting, but you assume that light can travel a unlimited distance too, right?

Cheers
© 2024 lite-C Forums