New Acknex Unlimited page

Posted By: JcI_the_second

New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/04/15 10:59

Hello George!

I think it's time for a completely new page, something like already have Unity and Unreal engine. The current page is pretty outdated and disorganized.

What you guys think about it?
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/04/15 11:31

Hey,

i totally support this idea! Some ideas:
  • Preview for all possible stuff
  • Taggable Items
  • Search Function
  • Also maybe some other categories like Sounds would be nice

Regards
Felix
Posted By: DLively

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/04/15 12:33

+1 ^^
Posted By: sivan

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/04/15 13:11

hey, a false jcl! funny laugh but I can agree...

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/04/15 13:37

Do not get me wrong guys, really I'm serious though my username does not look so grin
I'm an old A6 user who would like to move things forward. I have a few small abandoned projects, and maybe I'll translate them into lite c. It would be my small contribution. Perhaps a new page can motivate more peoples to share with us their work. At least, it is not necessary everything has to be free. It would be good if some quality assets we can buy from this page.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/04/15 14:36

+1 to site rebuild
<< suggest adding a update of the 3dgamestudio.com page as well

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/04/15 14:49

Supporting Malice Opinion on also updating the main page ^^
This should've been done like ten years ago?
Posted By: AceX

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/04/15 18:43

Great idea grin
Support it laugh
Posted By: George

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/05/15 17:50

Well, I'm not a web designer. What do you have in mind?
Posted By: AceX

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/05/15 19:52

If you want,I can help you...
I've already PHP & HTML skills grin

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/06/15 05:10

Maybe some of you can create a prototype, and then the members will vote, choosing the best one? What do you guys think about this?
Posted By: alibaba

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/06/15 06:30

+1

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/06/15 12:20

Originally Posted By: George
Maybe some of you can create a prototype, and then the members will vote, choosing the best one? What do you guys think about this?
It is a good idea. I think the unity asset store desing is the good for begining. This is exactly what we need. For each asset is necessary to have a mini gallery, short description and link to youtube video for assets where this is possible. The big question is how users will upload asset to the new page? For one man, I think it would be too much. Of course I support the fact that people can advertise 3dgs asset that are not free.
Posted By: Toast

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/06/15 13:09

I think this is a waste of time. Just look at the dates at which something got added to AU. Why do you think putting lots of effort into a new system is worth it just for the like 3 additions per year (if at all - the environments haven't seen anything new in pretty much a decade)...

I think if a change really is desired try to integrate the AU content to e.g. Terminal26 although I doubt they'd want to take much of the content (especially not the copyrighted stuff like models of Link, Max Payne or Hitman)...

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/06/15 16:28

The ideas here are forward thinking. Perhaps, we should drop old and dead (or unusable ) content and make a community effort to create some new content and update the old code base on that site(A5,A6,A7, WLD). We could make that a mini-contest for the AUM on top of the annual contest.
Posted By: FBL

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/06/15 17:16

Originally Posted By: Toast
I think this is a waste of time. Just look at the dates at which something got added to AU. Why do you think putting lots of effort into a new system is worth it just for the like 3 additions per year (if at all - the environments haven't seen anything new in pretty much a decade)...

I think if a change really is desired try to integrate the AU content to e.g. Terminal26 although I doubt they'd want to take much of the content (especially not the copyrighted stuff like models of Link, Max Payne or Hitman)...

Pretty much yes.

If really some asset store like stuff is wanted, then a freely available web shop which allows free of charge items should be used.
Posted By: Quad

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/06/15 21:27

If Jcl or conitec or whoever is managing the engine does not "commission" for a couple of professional quality and royalty free debut asset sets for the new AU page and hires someone to make the new store page it does not worth it.

Half-assed community made attempts will be... well, half-assed.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/07/15 01:34

^+1 Truely...
Posted By: Evo

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/07/15 03:29

I find this topic very interesting and I am glad that is was brought up. A marketplace will help breathe some life back into a fading engine. I have followed 3DGS since A5 and I still use it for my projects regardless of the advancement of other engines (Unity).

We all still love 3DGS, that's why we are all still here. The problem is that whenever topics like this come up, it is always (for some reason) frowned upon by some, leaving the ones who believed in it to question whether it's worth it.

I feel it's a great start in the right direction. I am basically doing this with my own website. I would be happy to take on the challenge of creating a 3Dgamestudio Marketplace. You would be surprised at just how easy it is to get things set up for selling online. (Such as Games and Resources). I have skills in "HTML, CSS, and JAVASCRIPT". Designing and developing the website will not be that difficult. What matters most is what the shop holds within it's pages. Having products to fill the shelves will be the only issue (3DGS Games, Music Packs, 2D assets, 3D assets, etc....).

As a 3DGS community, we should be striving for a better environment than just the dust filled tombs of the lite-c forum. Let's rebuild it from the ground up and start showing some initiative in a better future for an engine that has far more potential than it's given credit for.

Jcl (The Fake One) : Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Jcl (The Real One) : I feel you should have been in this conversation somewhere.

Toast & Quad : A Half-Assed attempt is better than no attempt at all. It's up to the company to keep the engine updated, but it's the community that keeps the engine alive with innovative development and moving forward to greater things. (With or without the company.) There are a lot of talented people on this forum that could get this job done.

To All Who Believe : Thanks for posting your opinion. We need more people to start speaking up about what this community really needs.

George : Voting on a design won't help if no one decides to attempt to build it, and most of all, "finish it". (Take "JJ&BUM for example.") We can create our own marketplace regardless of wheather the Conitec site itself is changed. Although, for a full rebuild of 3Dgamestudio's image, Conitec will need to get on board and start making some initiative themselves.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/07/15 03:46

EVO just do it. NIKE (c)
+1
Team EVO

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/07/15 05:31

I know that there are many users here who could do the job. It's a long term commitment, though, and just like JJ&BUM, it will not be brought to finish without a lot of work. Not to mention that the project will need maintenance, patches, etc.

I say let's see who can get a prototype done and we will move on from there. I'm not a member of Conitec's team, but maybe we can all sponsor (at least partially) the project.
Posted By: Iglarion

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/07/15 09:37

+1

George why you not ask Jcl if he can offer a reward like an A8 Pro upgrade, for the best-made web page. For example, i see that EVO still has a commercial version, and that he had missed won a Pro in the last contest. If the EVO or someone else can make a similar web page as it is "Unity Asset Store", it's a small price, and i think everyone would be satisfied, right? Then collecting of new, fresh models and scripts just leave us.
I totaly agre with Quad, but i'm afraid if we wait on Conitect to do it, maybe it will never happen. I still can't believe that people who work in Conitect do not realize how important it is to have a good site and advertising in general.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/07/15 10:24

That is a good idea. I'll ask JCL about it.
Posted By: txesmi

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/07/15 19:55

I'll ask JCL about it.

That's cool because I started an exercise yesterday: Make an AU rebuilt with wordpress. I thought it was a waste of time regarding to the objetive but funny and refreshing. Maybe can be more now laugh

I copied the main funtionality struct of the actual page but gived a basic high contrasted flat look taking benefit of a couple of known plugins. No comercial resources and demos.

I just finished the whole funtionality and the first css setup.
Take a look here!

There are only the few last resorces uploaded. Enough for testing.
Posted By: Wjbender

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/07/15 20:40

works pretty nifty on my phone !

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/08/15 07:19

it looks much better than the old one, I especially like the short info appearing after clicking on an item, but before downloading. maybe it could be in a little popup window to be faster and more handy. and the black background could be a dark grey, I like to have a bit less overall contrast. and later more sub-categories should be introduced. and user rating would be great too.

what I think, without new extended content it would worth nothing, and old bad-looking stuff should be removed, or put in an archive bag. fortunately many free stuff available for converting and sharing, only a txt file should be attached showing its origin. I did it for MapBuilder, but other game engine developers also do it. of course, its downloading, evaluation, conversion requires a lot of time and efforts. if a new site is created I can help (buildings, props, terrains, vegetation models, bone and vertex animated characters, textures with normalmap etc.).

moreover, it would be also the responsibility of the engine owner to provide free assets and demos for his users to attract more and more, not only of the community... not mentioning tutorials. other engines have tons of video tutorials...

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/08/15 10:22

Good job, I like it!

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/08/15 15:25

Nice wordpress prototype. Glad to see others making an effort for this project.

George : Are we going to have a contest on the best AU design? Or should I just submit it to the forum when I finish? Have you talked to JCL yet?

I am already about 60% done with my version of AU.
Features include :
1. A Clean, mobile friendly, responsive design.
2. Easy navigation with dynamically changing page content.
3. A custom html/JavaScript system to control contributions.
4. Includes a "HowToUpdate.pdf with detailed instructions on updating the code for new items so that a single person should have no trouble managing the new AU site.

I have plans to add more features, but for now, a new AU should be good enough. It can always be turned into an actual marketplace later on if needed.

A fully working prototype will be completed soon. For best performance it will be temporarily uploaded to evoeon.com to allow everyone to test it. I'll have more details after hearing what JCL is deciding to do.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/08/15 19:11

Wordpress is not a bad idea actually.

Regarding the design you might want to use a brighter background color. The grey coloring makes it look old somehow.
Also you might want to give CSS background gradients for a neater look a try.
Free to use neat webfonts including webfont generator can be found here: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/08/15 20:51

I'm glad you like it.

I agree with Firoball. A free cms or the like is a good idea.

I have to say that I am a horrible designer. I have tried for years with any good result so I minimized the objetives of the exercise. I do really thought it was pretty finished but a couple of details such the page title font and a simple contact/upload form grin

The premises were:
- Responsive, of course.
- Light weight to the skeleton: no bitmaps, no javascript. I realize it is not a contest winner premise and I have already broken it with the download image xP
- Tight header, top menu category navigator and no page scrolling on wide screens (almost on lists).
- Native wordpress features: upload files by the media manager, a custom post type for resources and the standart categories and tags system.
- Make no changes to Georges role as admin: no user registration, no comments, no text for news. Just a new uploading method as the minimum admin effort.

That was my straight path and it has been crooked wink

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/09/15 04:52

I have emailed JCL. I will post his answer as soon as I receive it.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/10/15 06:36

OK, I've got news from JCL. He will sponsor the project with an A8 Pro upgrade.

A WordPress based project is fine and the AUM page should also be integrated into the new design. Please use as fewer plugins as possible; as you probably know, they increase the risk of sites being hacked.

I'll probably be the site admin, uploading stuff and so on. No other user roles are required, but they'll be easy to add (if needed) since they're built into WordPress.

Let me know if you have any questions. My suggestion is to set the 1st of June as a deadline. What do you guys think about this?
Posted By: Superku

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/10/15 08:06

Even though I won't participate in that "contest" it's good news and I appreciate the effort of all people involved!

@George: Btw. how is the new AUM getting along, will it get released soon?

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/10/15 08:47

Hi, George. I would like to ask a few questions to make sure I am clear about this contest. This will help me get everything organized for my final design of AU.

1. If you will be the site admin, what requirements are you looking for? My AU version is custom built and I do not use WordPress. Any details on important features that you feel you would need? (Or perhaps a feature you hope to see?)

2. Are we going all out with this design with everything finished and linked to all older downloads? Or are we starting anew with an easy to use prototype for you to update and complete?

3. This contest is different so I assume there will be only 1 winner this time, is that correct?

June 1st seems like a long time. But I guess it will give me plenty of time to fully optimize the site before the contest ends. I wish everyone the best of luck and hopefully we'll see a lot of great submissions.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/10/15 16:19

depending on the answers to the @EVO's questions i may also participate.

also is there a limitation in the tech used? does it have to be PHP?

also what kind of environment will it work in? (Linux/win is it possible to install additional stuff?)
Posted By: exile

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/10/15 17:40

Hey Guys,

I am actually a tier two technician for a webhosting company called Nexcess.net.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I can't stress this enough.

DO NOT USE WORDPRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I deal with a ton of "hacked site" issues every day and nine times out of ten its a Wordpress site that has been hacked. The issue is that people forget to take security seriously and will forget to do things like updating their CMS or their updating their plugins. When hackers find these vulnerabilities Wordpress usually releases an update to deal with the issue, however many times their updates will just make new vulnerabilities. If you guys have any questions let me know, I love 3DGS and will contribute to this idea in any way I can! BTW, I have my own dedicated server so if you would like I could create a public VPS sandbox for you guys to test stuff in.

EDIT2: We could even redo the site using a platform like Magento if JCL allowed it. He could have direct integration of his payment platform in his site.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/10/15 18:56

I agree with exile on the WordPress issue, but I also trust George's qualified experience as admin. Those vulnerabilities can be overcome with proper management. However, if you are building a WordPress AU site, take George and exile's advice and optimize it's design to help avoid these issues. (Fewer WordPress plugins if possible)

As for magento : There are many options available that allow the same shop integration. Conitec currently uses shareit to sell their products. I personally use fastspring. These companies and many others give the same features of using their api to create custom shop pages and checkout systems that will be just as effective in selling commercial products as magneto.
Posted By: exile

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/10/15 21:32

@EVO, I agree. I just mentioned Magento to be used as an example as there are truly a lot of different ecommerce platforms and plugins to consider. And I do think that the best idea would be to not try and re-invent the wheel so to speak.

As previously mentioned, if you or anyone else needs any help with anything please feel free to contact me. I truly love this community and i want to do anything I can to help us grow together laugh Who knows, maybe one day A8 will go open source and be a community driven engine.

As Quad mentioned, what kind of environment is the site hosted on? Should we adhere to any specific coding standards? What other languages are we allowed to use? Are we going to be sticking to Wordpress or are we allowed to use other CMS platforms?

This has me really excited guys! lol, sorry for sounding like a pest tongue

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/11/15 21:59

OK, I've got news from JCL. He will sponsor the project with an A8 Pro upgrade.
This is great news! It seems that the new Acknex Unlimited page certainly be born smile
Please guys do not forget to create more subgroups like:
Code:
3D models
 > Characters
    > Animals
    > Monsters
    > Humanoids
       > Modern
       > Fantasty
       > Sci-fi
       > Cartoon
       > Other

That is the biggest problem current AU page, because we should list and serach and list until our eyes do not turn into red.
@txsemi: Your page works perfect but it still needs more work on the design. Also I think we do not need frame with Archives. It would be better that there are links for subgroups.
@EVO: Show us what you've got so far to see did you are on the right track wink

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/11/15 23:27

@jcl2 Yes, I know. That's why it will not be a candidate.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/12/15 08:26

Imho search should allow following options:

- Text search for title AND description
- License (free/restricted/commercial)
- Date range (in order to filter too old contributions)
- Tag (Limit to "Models", "Textures" etc.)
- and maybe Author

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/12/15 17:20

To start, I would like to mention that I do not use any type of CMS platform since it always limits me in what designs I can build. I enjoy more freedom in my development. It will take some time to add all the features that are needed, but in the end, it will be a unique custom site instead of a WordPress or other CMS design. My version will use only html/CSS/JavaScript and does not currently include any php, etc. George, if this is a problem for you, the please let me know.

Everyone please remember that adding lots of new features are great, but also keep in mind the extra workload it will place on the admin. With every new feature you put in, make sure it can be easily managed and updated. Otherwise George could be drowning in submissions that he can't keep up with and will cause things to get behind.

I will continue to watch the thread and do my best to integrate what the community needs, but it will be done in a way so that it does not overwork the admin.

I will have my version done in time, but there are certain features and optimization that must be complete before I upload it for testing.

Here is a quick overview of my current progress :

* Design : I started with my favorite boilerplate, Skeleton, which gives me a solid foundation to build a responsive, mobile friendly website. Combine that with custom dynamic pages that will allow easy navigation and a special "universal file viewer page" that allows all items to have their own product page, without actually giving it a new product page laugh I'll give more details on that later. It sounds more complicated than it actually is and is very easy to manage.

* Style : I decided to stick with the original color style of blue and black for header, footer and image visuals, while giving the body content a soft tint of grey. Black text and default ariel font allows for maximum readablilty. (I'm still deciding on a custom font...)

overall, everything looks good and is working great so far, but there is still much to do. I can promise you that I am very dedicated to this project and hopefully I'll have it ready for testing soon.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/12/15 19:16

@Firoball,
search is one of the reasons i asked if we are allowed to install any additional stuff on the server, f.i. elastic search.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/13/15 16:03

Hi guys,

@Superku: Thank you for the kind words. I've been very busy, but the new Aum should be released in a week or two

@EVO
1. If you will be the site admin, what requirements are you looking for? My AU version is custom built and I do not use WordPress. Any details on important features that you feel you would need? (Or perhaps a feature you hope to see?)
Just the standard stuff, being able to upload resources, etc.
2. Are we going all out with this design with everything finished and linked to all older downloads? Or are we starting anew with an easy to use prototype for you to update and complete?
I'd say that a fully working project is enough; I can upload / link the old resources.
3. This contest is different so I assume there will be only 1 winner this time, is that correct?
Yes, there's only one winner. JCL will decide which project deserves the prize.

@Quad
also is there a limitation in the tech used? does it have to be PHP?
PHP / Linux is the preferred solution. I have limited access to Conitec's server, so we won't install additional stuff.

@exile
Thank you for the kind offer concerning the public VPS sandbox.
I know that an old WordPress installation is an easy target, but it can auto-update lately, not to mention that I've got effective backup / recovery tools. Anyway, you can use other platforms if you want to (well, maybe excepting Joomla wink
I'm pretty sure that JCL doesn't want to redo the main site at this point, so we can't integrate the payment platform into the new site.

Have a great day.
George

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/13/15 20:04

well, i am out then.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/14/15 00:56

Wow, we are seriously overstocked on tables. We got little tables, we got big tables, demo tables, texture tables, we got every type of table you need. lol. I can see why no one wanted to ever redesign the original AU website or 3dgs website, unless you just really loved working with tables.

when I first started this project, I ripped the complete AU site from the web and went over all the original scripts to understand the original design structure. It's table madness in there.

Tables and iframes are not used in my own design.

But either way, the originals were set up with the same languages that my version is using and all this talk of needing additional installs, php and plug-ins seem pointless in creating this resource site. (Or perhaps my misunderstanding comes from the fact that I don't use a cms platform) based on my research, if the original AU worked with html/css/js, then there is no reason that my own version will not work.

all that is needed for my version to operate is for the admin to have simple access to the ftp where the site is stored to upload submissions. Other than that, my detailed information for updating and managing the site is all you should need to quickly keep up with everything.

George : So unless I am misunderstanding something. I'm staying in this contest and working hard to get this job done. If I have misunderstood anything, please let me know so that I can reconfigure the core design.

edit: out of curiosity, who within this community will still be entering in this new project/contest? I see that some are already dropping out.

Edit2: new progress : today I created a custom sub-category system and integrated it into the current framework. All parent categories now have their own unique child categories. As a community, what sub-categories would you like to have based on the original AU categories?

I also added two new parent categories to the design.
1. Music and SFX
2. Video tutorials

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/14/15 11:58

@EVO: You are right, the project isn't a complex one. The old site was probably designed using Dreamweaver.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/14/15 16:32

aka Nightmareweaver wink

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/15/15 04:54

I wanted to list the current features of my version of acknex unlimited. But until I have more done and upload it, I would first like to get some feedback on ideas that the community has regarding a new design and what feature the community would like to hopefully see.

My current File structure :
1. acknex_unlimited.html
2. AU_file_viewer.html
3. evoeontheme.min.css
4. AU_database.js

1. 100% responsive design and optimized for speed.
2. A single html document controls the entire AU website (without iframes).
3. Auto-sorting responsive item lists for easy management of contributions.
4. Sub-category system that filters based on type.
5. Javascript database for management of all contribution data.
6. Universal file viewer for displaying data of selected contributions.

new features that I would like to add are :

1. Special theme changer to alter the main colors, style, and certain images. 2 to 4 Skins. Easily Selected from menu. Local storage saves the settings so it does not reset.

2. A marketplace example using the 3dgamestudio engine that links to conitec checkout pages. To show that we don't need to integrate it, instead we just link to original share it pages. Conitec or shareit could host the commercial products, while the website markets and links to checkout.

what are some more ideas that the community would like to see?

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/15/15 06:44

This is a good feature list, I like it!

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/27/15 18:43

Any news? It would be nice to see some progress.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/30/15 13:08

The progress is there, but with a month left in development you just have to dig a little deeper to find it.

Txesmi appears to still be working on his new WordPress design at http://agarrea.com/. Its a new design and is looking really nice.

I have an older update of my version uploaded at https://evoeon.com. Everything is still in early development, but some feedback on its current direction would be helpful. Reload the browser window if you don't see it.

I am sure that others are also working on things, but it will probably still be awhile before they show their designs.
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/30/15 14:24

@EVO, so far I think it looks really good. I like the unlimited going background pic and overal it feels clean (which is good). You probably already thought of it, but a search bar would handy on the frontpage. And some preview images on the frontpage lateron of stuff uploaded by users. Overal I would say that the 'market'/'resources' could be made a bit more bigger / eye catching. Since that is the main reason for the site to exist, so it should be something striking.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/30/15 14:51

Reconnoiter : Thanks for testing it. I have been mainly focus on the responsiveness, speed, and filter system, to make sure its running efficiently across all devices. Later i will add a "new products" section on the front page.

Progress:
This site uses a single html file, but I'll try to set up a simple search feature.

The images are 256x256. They will also resize on smaller devices. A (soon to be added) context viewer will display its larger artwork and product data.

The primary testing I need is for the acknex database and feedback on new filters that could be added. Make sure to check the drop down menu in the top right corner to find all pages. Once filters are done, I'm going to start on the theme builder, context viewer and 3d model viewer.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/30/15 16:34

Sounds good. Some of the selection could be a bit more highlighted by the way (especially when hovering the mouse over the text in the top-right filter window).

Quote:
feedback on new filters that could be added
, you mean names/examples? Here are few:

Some possible main filters: models, textures, packs, wads, plugins, code examples, demo's, full game, editors/programs.

Some possible sub filters; characters, environments, indoor, outdoor, low poly/reso, high poly/reso, realistic, cartoony, futuristic, medieval.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/30/15 18:05

Reconnoiter : Yes, I have not really been happy with the drop down menu. I have plans to change it to something better. Thanks for the list, I completely forgot about "Wads".

Community - When Visiting :
Open the menu and go to resource database. You'll see the 9 parent categories that are already created. Each category will soon have a set of sub-category filters. These filters can be selected individually as well as together and your selection(s) will display within the sorting database list.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/30/15 18:39

Looks nice, I also like that the license and price are clear in the preview images.
Some minor points;
* I would do tutorials and video tutorials in one filter, with 2 subfilters (respectively 1 tutorials and 1 video tutorials).
* add a 'Models' filter before 'Textures'
* remove the 'Search by' filter and replace it with a search bar that is always visible and works additive / along with the filters.
Very minor; put audio filter a bit more to the right, before code, I think that's more logical but its a very minor detail.

Also what is actually the difference between the resource database and the market?

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/30/15 18:59

@evo , I am currently unable to access your drop down menu from my mobile device .

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/30/15 19:30

Originally Posted By: EVO
Txesmi appears to still be working on his new WordPress design at http://agarrea.com/.

Sorry but no, I am out. I am not able to build a market place.
You are far more talented than me. Your place is looking great!

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/30/15 19:38

Reconnoiter :
* Yes, all tutorial sections should stay together and I was using the Asset category for "2D & 3D" resources that are filtered through sub-categories. It's filter list is getting long and will be divided into 2 or 3 new parent categories.
* "Search By" will hold special filters to quickly search by "Year", "License", "New", etc. I will do my best to add a text search for everyone.
*I feel it's best to divide commercial resources from free resources so that commercial products get the attention they deserve. The box artwork for items in the resource database is just example art. The only difference between resources and Market are that they have slightly different filters.

Wjbender : Yes, I have had certain devices fail when selecting it. I am going to go ahead and start changing it to a nice slider panel or something similar. Hopefully this will not happen anymore once I update it. Sorry about that. I'll try to get a new menu uploaded as soon as I can.

Txesmi : I am no professional. Your site was looking great, you should keep it up and explore new ideas. I'm sure you could turn it into something cool.

Also keep in mind that the market idea could fall through if JCL decides not to keep it.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 04/30/15 20:49

" Also keep in mind that the market idea could fall through if JCL decides not to keep it."

that would be really bad , this engine and users really needs a market place , I am one that would feel disappointed if it never see the light of day , to be honest I cannot imagine why there hasn't been one already o_O

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 05/01/15 17:44

@EVO, nice, you really thought it all through <thumbs up> .

ps; why doesn't JCL actually let the gs3d main page and forum also be changed? Only a reskin could already do wonders. E.g. would be cool if it would get similar colors to Evo's site but with some red mixed in it so there is some consistency between the sites, and so it gets a fresh and more modern look like Evo's site.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 05/12/15 16:43

New progress : https://evoeon.com
* created a new menu.
* linked up everything and added in acknex github link.
* integrated nice jquery modals for displaying data.
* new context viewer that displays selected contribution data.

** integrated an advanced search with auto suggestion. This will allow you to search by : item name, year, author, license, etc.

** The database still works and looks the same, but i redesigned the database to be dynamically created using JSON upon user interaction. This has greatly improved the sites performance and will allow the database to easily hold 20000+ items. And since each parent category has its own JSON file, data is only loaded when needed, giving very fast page load and browsing.

Warning : some newer features (json database, session storage, local storage, etc) may not work on older browsers or unupdated android browsers. If you have any problems, update or download a new browser like chrome.

There have been a lot of changes so you may have to reload or empty your browser cache.

Have a great day,
Brian pressley

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 05/12/15 17:29

Although I like it so far the menu button in the upper right including its options seems absolutely out of place. Why does it hide like the most important features on the side? Why does it result in a screen width filling list of buttons?
I think something like a regular list of those on the left hand side or on the top of the page would be much more appropriate.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 05/12/15 18:14

Superku : The responsiveness of the site would cause odd behavior on smaller screens with too many links embedded in the header, causing elements and containers to be weirdly pushed around. Css Media queries are set up to change the visual based on screen size. A hidden menu allows the page to stay clean and the button itself is easily noticed. This allows for mobile users to easily navigate, and things are lazy loaded and hidden to avoid excess data usage on mobile. Even though this is a windows engine and desktop website, 60% or more will most likely be visiting on a mobile device.

I have too many issues with panel menus on the side. Not all devices will display them correctly. Even unity's panel menu has errors on my lenovo tablet.

I have 3 more menu designs I have been experimenting with. I will update some things once I get some free time.

Have a great day.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 05/12/15 21:54

Although I doubt your 60% figure I understand the intention and reasons for that approach (being mobile device support).
Yet I have to stand with what I've posted earlier, I like the general design and style, the colors, the acknex like gesture and other stuff but that one button and it (for PC/ desktop terms) hiding many relevant features... not so much.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 05/12/15 23:08

One site, all devices, is the general concept. Better marketing = better business. I understand your doubt's, but that figure is fairly accurate. Losing mobile traffic would be a big loss for gaining new users.

I agree on the desktop issue, it needs to support all sizes so this needs to be fixed and i'll change the menu to something better. But a button is still necessary for mobile navigation. I'll set all links to display in the top on larger screens and hide the button.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 05/13/15 11:56

Originally Posted By: EVO
I'll set all links to display in the top on larger screens and hide the button.

Nice, that sounds like a good solution!

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/01/15 10:25

End of the contest :
Finished up things to the point where the admin can take over if it's accepted by the company. I have 2 versions of the site :

(1). https://evoeon.com - Database and Marketplace Prototype.
(2). https://evoeon.com/database/index.html - Database Only - No Market.

George : I have submitted it to resources@acknex.net. Contact me if you have any questions.

Have a great day,
Brian Pressley

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/01/15 10:41

Thank you Brian, good job! I have forwarded your email to JCL. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from him. As an alternative, he may contact you directly.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/01/15 10:50

I like the result a lot!

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/01/15 19:40

Neither one of the links works for me in Firefox - browser shows white page, although markup (source code) is loaded.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/01/15 20:13

Superku : thanks. Hopefully that menu/button issue is fixed for you.

Firoball : Firefox has many problems. It could be a number of different things causing this.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/web...ertain-websites

If you can find an error message it would help me find the problem. If its in my code, I'll do my best to fix it.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/01/15 20:43

Please apply all filters when navigating to a category. I needed some time to find the feature and i was surprised that there was more content

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/01/15 21:02

Possible Firefox has problems as the markup seems to be faulty:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=https%...ine&group=0

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/02/15 07:59

non of them worked for me yesterday aswell ,neither on my mobile nor my windows internet explorer ,just blank pages but I thought the site was taken down and put somewhere else for the judging so I didn't mention it.

quickly checked with my mobile just now ,nothing so assume my windows ie will be the same again.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/02/15 11:45

Just got news from JCL. He isn't in the office this week, but he will check the projects next week, when he returns.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/02/15 17:57

Tried at work with Firefox and it's loading. Seems to be some problem with my PC here - seems like the loader Javascript is prevented from being executed.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/02/15 18:22

MasterQ32 : If I had it set to automatically show all filters, that would mean that everything would show when selecting a parent category, forcing users to either, (a)Scroll through all products to find what they need, or (b)Force them to stop what they are doing to deselect filters they don't want.
How about a "show all" and "remove all" filter buttons. That way the user themselves can decide whether they want to browse a few at a time or all at once.
I am not sure what you mean by : "I needed some time to find the feature". The filter buttons display when clicking any parent category. However, I'll put some text to clear up any confusion on how to use the filter system.

Firoball : I done a full desktop browser test today with : Chrome, IE9, Safari, Firefox, and Opera. The site is fully cross-browser compatible and works with all of them. I have also done a mobile test with the stock android browser and the chrome android browser on multiple phones and tablets. Everything is working great. The errors you see in the w3c check will not affect the page from being seen and the code is not "faulty". It just simple means my code does not meet their "clean code" standards.

Wjbender : What Desktop browser are you using? What mobile browser are you using?

George : Due to being very tired when I finished the submission, I got my old and new filter scripts confused. In the marketplace version, there is a single line of code missing from the database filter script which will cause the market container to not hide the way it should. Sorry about that. I will create a final update that will fix that issue and hopefully any other issues that anyone has.

Have a great day,
Brian Pressley

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/02/15 18:48

Found the problem.
It is related to restricting cookies and changing the chronic settings. I can get it to run with a fresh profile, but I restricted the chronic and cookies for good reason.
Are you using any 3rd party cookies?

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/02/15 19:00

Firoball : No, I don't use cookies, I use HTML5 local storage instead. The site uses a single "localstorage" key named "themeId". The browser must be detecting it when it checks for cookies. This single Id value saves the id of your theme and loads it when you revisit.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/02/15 19:24

Ah, Firefox couples localStorage to cookies. Explicitely whitelisting the site for cookies helps (since it is no cookie, the usual popup asking whether I want to allow or deny that cookie did not come up).
Don't know why all this is necessary, but at least now I see something laugh

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/06/15 14:08

I like a lot. Great job EVO

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/12/15 07:11

Congratulations, EVO has won the prize laugh JCL will contact him within the next few days. The new site should be up in a few weeks.
Posted By: alibaba

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/12/15 07:43

Congrats! Well deserved!

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/12/15 11:56

exactly , good going and enjoy your prize ,aaand welcome to the suffering , may you pull out your hair and whack yourself silly on the head in your future endeavours lol

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/12/15 16:37

I would like to thank everyone for their support on this project and a big thanks to conitec for letting the community get involved. The pro edition will help in the development of our new commercial products and I am very grateful.

George : If there are any issues or if some iterations need done, let me know and I'll be happy to fix them before the site goes live.

Have a great day,
Brian Pressley

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/12/15 16:49

Congrats!

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/13/15 12:05

Hi Brian,

Sure, I will let you know. JCL is going to install it, so you'll probably hear from him if there are any issues.

Have a great day.
George

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/13/15 12:09

gj EVO!

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/13/15 12:31

Congratulations EVO!

Always appreciated some fresh wind.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/15/15 15:19

congratulation!
it will definitely improve the image of the engine.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/15/15 15:21

Yay shiny and new!!!
Congrats !

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/23/15 22:36

George : checking in to make sure that everything is OK with the website prototype. I could redesign things into a better framework if you need me to. Conitec support contacted me, but I haven't heard anything back for a while. Some news would be nice.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/24/15 06:29

JCL has told me that he will install the new site in a few weeks, so I guess that he will contact you in case that he runs into trouble. Have you gotten your Pro license?

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/24/15 16:08

George : no, I have not received anything yet, but that's OK. I would rather wait until I know the site is uploaded and no problems occur. I don't like accepting a prize if I feel I didn't earn it in some way. If the site is not used, I will gladly forfeit my prize.

Support is slow, no pro license yet, which leads me to believe they are having issues somehow.

Either way, thanks for your time and help.
Brian pressley

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/24/15 19:00

Quote:
Support is slow, no pro license yet, which leads me to believe they are having issues somehow

I think not. After i won in contest, i'm also waiting for a long time to get my licence. This is nothing new, so you dont have to worry wink .
Btw the website looks great and the prize is well deserved.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/25/15 12:14

@Brian: I will email JCL about your Pro license.
@Iglarion, you have gotten your Pro license, right?

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/25/15 12:47

Yes of course, the only thing i was wait a long. I thought i could get a license in a few days, but after support contacted me, i waited a month or two, i can't remember.
I just wanted to say that it does not go fast as we would like smile

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/25/15 17:07

Thank you, Iglarion. Brian, here's the relevant section from JCL's email:

...according to my records, the Pro Version was sent to his email a week ago. He should contact us again if he has not received it yet - we'll inquire.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/25/15 17:13

I know you are not stupid but did you check the spam folder and everything?

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/25/15 17:49

George : no, there has been nothing sent. Their email address has higher priority and will come directly to my inbox, not spam. If the original support email came through, all other email by them will also be shown. Nothing else by support has been sent to me.

But its no big deal, I'm sure I'll get it eventually. My main concern was to make sure there are no problems with the website prototype. Thanks for everyone's help, have a great day.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/25/15 19:27

Brian, you should have got it by now. Please contact Conitec; use a different email address if possible.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 08/14/15 08:32

Hi George
Any news about a new page?

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 08/14/15 09:24

JCL will update it when he has some free time at his disposal. I don't have server access.

Re: New Acknex Unlimited page - 06/24/16 01:49

Bump going on 12 months ... cough cough
© 2024 lite-C Forums