Retro game contest - vote your favorite here!

Posted By: George

Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 07:28

Dear friends,

The retro game remake contest demos are uploaded to Acknex Unlimited. I have just received another entry (for a total of 19) so make sure to download them all, test them and choose the best one.
Posted By: Roel

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 07:33

first vote!
very hard to decide, so many good games....
I think I shouldn't vote for my own game tongue
Posted By: pegamode

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 08:10

There are really some good entries ... respect to all.
Posted By: Jog

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 09:23

All very good contributions, the vote will not be easy.
Good luck to all.
Posted By: Ernie76

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 09:29

I Testet all of them now, and i must say, there is not one singel game, that isent good.
Every game has its own charm.
May the best Game Win. Good luck to you all
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 09:47

This contest really brought us a bunch of good games,
so we are all winners.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 09:52

Spoken like a Real Diplomat ;P
Posted By: Helghast

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 10:04

Agree with Damocles...

the least we got out of the contest is experience and a "finished" (in some form or way) product... which looks good on your portfolio anyway grin

good luck to everybody!

regards,
Posted By: The_Clyde

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 12:28

Ahh- the "Starmada" name on my game was really just what I had referred to it as when initially naming the files... the actual name (as referred to in-game) is "Space Armada Attack!" because I think its funny when games essentially state what is going on in its title.

Probably shoulda gotten to that file renaming before sending it! grin
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 14:56

May the best win grin
Posted By: aenkku

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 15:00

all is great, very difficulty to make mind smile

aenkku
Posted By: Superku

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 15:23

I like especially Key Perilous, Golden Eye and Castle Wolfendoom very much, hard to decide but I've voted for Key Perilous.
Posted By: msmith2468

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 16:49

i have played them all. spent almost all of yesterday playing them. there are some very good games and this is a hard decision. my top two are key perilous, and meteor mess 3d. i believe mm3d should win 1st place i feel it is the best. but only given one vote and assuming others will vote for mm3d my vote is going to go with key perilous. but first i have to try rocket command 3dgs i understand that he was put in late so to be fair i must try his game before i vote.

good luck to everyone.
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 22:22

Resnake is also a good entry.
Especially by including a nice intro and narration
to round up the game.
Posted By: zeusk

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/04/10 23:10

vote goldeneye
Posted By: Rondidon

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 00:31

voted for Meteor Mess, but I also like Wolfendoom very much.
Posted By: fangedscorpion

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 01:53

Yeah I made the marble maze 2 game. This probably was my first time making a game of this magnitude for any soort of contest. I think one of my favorite things about the game are the feats. These took some patience to make, but they are cool! I know that my game is not the best by any means and I hope that someone's game that is better wins! Thanks for the experience in the contest!
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 08:18

MM3D got my vote.. I also enjoyed Rocket Command 3DGS more than I thought i would.. Golden Eye also tackled a nearly impossible feat with gamestudio; multiplayer. It would've probably gotten my vote but it felt wrong voting for a Golden Eye remake on a retro contest. When I think of retro games I think pong and mario, not 3d first person shooters.

Good job to everyone. This has definitely been the most successful conitec contest yet.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 08:50

I know my Double Dragon aint gonna win, but im finishing the game anyway tongue
I've fixed so many issues already the last couple of days, one of which is the ragdoll and blending the ragdoll from it's last animated pose grin! This is gonna be in the template as well which i am gonna update/upload soon for everybody's use. besides that. sounds and (basic) FX were added. I hope anyone that downloaded the game will download it again if I reupload it, because it's changed for the better so much already grin
Before that though, i wanna completely rehaul the UI.. hahaa, much needed! wink
Posted By: Merlinette81

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 09:29

Meteor Mess got my Vote. Never thought Gamestudio could handle an adventure. My 2. Vote ( if i had one ) would go to the Boulder Dash clone. I liked the c64 version very much.
To bad nobody cloned Nebulus, i liked that too.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 09:53

Originally Posted By: Merlinette81
Meteor Mess got my Vote. Never thought Gamestudio could handle an adventure. My 2. Vote ( if i had one ) would go to the Boulder Dash clone. I liked the c64 version very much.
To bad nobody cloned Nebulus, i liked that too.

May I ask why you never thought it would be able to handle it?
I think of all genre's this is one of the easier ones...

Besides the fact that story wise etc it takes a long time to make one, it shouldnt be all that much harder then any other game ( dont get me wrong, I dont mean to say that MM3D was easy to make wink ).

regards,

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 10:14

One thing that GS doesn't handle well from scratch is to hold objects states from level to level.

In an adventure an object that has been taken must not reappear when reentering the room.

There are a lot of skills for every entity, but just 2 (very short) strings ... so you have to use some other techniques to solve that problem.

Maybe that's a reason why there aren't that much adventures done with GS ... just a guess.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 10:26

@Helghast: I agree with Merlinett. Before MM3D i too thought that 3DGS cant handle that. If you look on the Gamestudio Main page and read the discription of the program, there are listed many generes that can be made with 3DGS, insted of "ADVENTURES".
I think they have to change that text ;P
Making an Adventure in 3D with 3DGS is Harde then you think.
Even after 2 Years, the task to Control a Player charakter with a 2D Mousecursor that operates on a 2D plane, in an 3D Enviroment is very hard. And don forget the 1000s of information wich must stay in the Memory. An Adventure with 1 main Charakter is easyer i think, but with 7 charakters an 3 wich are playable at the same time...!
I think ( Tempending on how intense the gameplay should be) that Ego shooters are the easyest genre for the A7 engine ( i mean straight shooters like Doom3 not open world shooters like farcry). For shooters A7 hat many "ready" things that comes with it.( again: Debending on the Version you use and if u use "Ready stuff" or not ) For Adventures, or other more independent games, there must everything coded from the begining. Dont forget i dont Talk about the work with Modeling and so on. I only Talk about, the Scripts and routines an so on.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 10:41

Originally Posted By: pegamode
One thing that GS doesn't handle well from scratch is to hold objects states from level to level.

In an adventure an object that has been taken must not reappear when reentering the room.

There are a lot of skills for every entity, but just 2 (very short) strings ... so you have to use some other techniques to solve that problem.

Maybe that's a reason why there aren't that much adventures done with GS ... just a guess.

A7 has no problem with that at all if you know how to use Structs wink

Originally Posted By: Ernie76
@Helghast: I agree with Merlinett. Before MM3D i too thought that 3DGS cant handle that. If you look on the Gamestudio Main page and read the discription of the program, there are listed many generes that can be made with 3DGS, insted of "ADVENTURES".
I think they have to change that text ;P
Making an Adventure in 3D with 3DGS is Harde then you think.
Even after 2 Years, the task to Control a Player charakter with a 2D Mousecursor that operates on a 2D plane, in an 3D Enviroment is very hard. And don forget the 1000s of information wich must stay in the Memory. An Adventure with 1 main Charakter is easyer i think, but with 7 charakters an 3 wich are playable at the same time...!
I think ( Tempending on how intense the gameplay should be) that Ego shooters are the easyest genre for the A7 engine ( i mean straight shooters like Doom3 not open world shooters like farcry). For shooters A7 hat many "ready" things that comes with it.( again: Debending on the Version you use and if u use "Ready stuff" or not ) For Adventures, or other more independent games, there must everything coded from the begining. Dont forget i dont Talk about the work with Modeling and so on. I only Talk about, the Scripts and routines an so on.

I'm sorry, but i am going to have to disagree on this.
As i said before, making instances using structs should make it fairly "easy" (easier then using variables like in A6 atleast) to overcome this issue...

I'm not saying it's easy, but making any game of any genre isnt easy anyway tongue

But since we can instance objects (again, hammering on the struct usage), a limit to objects (when scripted proper) shouldnt be there anymore (think amounts of enemies, players, other objects)... the only limit would be hardware limit.
That's just my point of view though tongue

But I do have the feeling people think GameStudio is limited to certain genre's, where in reality it's only limited to the users experience and imagination...

-----------
I'm sorry for going offtopic and hijacking this thread George tongue
Posted By: Quad

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 10:43

Originally Posted By: pegamode

that is not very hard. In one of my hack'n'slah prototypes, pickups were not re-appearing when you go back to another level, even boss corpses and broken crates were still there when you go back to a level. And actually it was a very small function that saved the state of the level.

Originally Posted By: Ernie76
And don forget the 1000s of information wich must stay in the Memory.

that is what databases are for.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 11:08

Cant be that easy i think. If it was, there would be more GS adventures grin ( and there should be, i think )
But lets see what the future brings. even if MM3D would be changed very much in its code, im sure our next game will benefit from every singel thing we learnd by working on MM3D.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 11:08

I agree both of you ... it isn't hard, but it has to implemented from scratch and there are a lot of users that think that they could build a game by just clicking some scripts in WED together ... structs, linking them to entities, pathfinding, databases and many more isn't something that most beginners could handle.

I don't think that something we implemented in GAS was hard to implement it was just time intensive to implement all the features it has yet.

By the way ... GAS uses structs (many of them) of course.

Regards,
Pegamode.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 11:20

That is true, but any beginner can't do something like MM3D without doing stuff from scrath and scripting in any engine.

anyhow, you did a great job with GAS.

--
on topic:
I didnot checked all entries yet, but so for all was very good. It's a hard choice.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 11:51

Would you discuss this in your forum and not in this thead please???

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 12:13

I know that my marble maze 2 game will not win by any means, but does anyone have any suggestions for it? I know the levels do not look all that nice and some of the physics may have some glitches in them. Does any one want to post some positive feedback on my game? By the way there are 4 feats in the game for those who are skilled and can find them...

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 12:26

I see everyone votes for a game not for the retro-ness but for how complicated it must be to create the game?

I liked space invaders 1989 a lot! It felt ancient, really well made.
Castle wolfendoom was a great one as well, reminds me very well of the days I was playing the real one tongue.
Golder slash was a good reïncarnation of good 'ol boulder dash, I enjoyed it a lot.

Most of the others were great submissions, but not all of them worked fine for me or were fun but didn't add something extra to give a retro feeling.

MM3D was very slow, couldn't play it well and it didn't felt very retro.
In Golden Eye I kept clicking outside the window and defocussing the game all the time. Though it is an old game, it doesn't quite qualify as retro for me.

I'll admit I have voted for my own, not for the win but because for me it gives the most retro feel that the other games didn't give. Well it was a very close call with space invaders 1989.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 13:30

@joozey: please say what Computer do u have, cpu, graficcard and so on. that will help us much, maybe we can speed up the game for machines like yours.
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 13:35

joozey you can play golden eye in fullscreen mode as well...

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 14:12

No I can't play it fullscreen. This is what I get when I put it on fullscreen either in options or using ctrl+enter:

I can still click on explorer and defocus the game.

@ernie:
Intel core2 duo, with mobile intel express chipset family, 3GB RAM. Just the average laptop.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 14:22

@Joozy: Thanks for the info.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 14:28

@joozey change it from settings file, it then starts in full screen
Posted By: orpheus

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 15:18

My favorites are Meteor Mess and Golder Sash ... I voted for Meteor Mess, it has some smaller bugs, but it's really great (some nice features added like footprints when walking through the slime and I love the entrance hall when it's dark and the skulls are glowing).

Golder Sash is great, too ... gets me centuries back :-)
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 16:34

Joozey, a friend of mine had a similar bug with gamestudio... would be glad to see a solution.
Posted By: Progger

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 16:47

Joozey to do fullscreen you have to open config.txt then put a 2 at
screen_mode
you have to do this
screen_mode = 2
then save it and now u can do fullscreen
WFG programmer

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 16:51

Yep that did work laugh thanks, had fun time killing!

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/05/10 19:07

No problem (:
WFG programmer

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/06/10 01:15

Can anyone please give me some feedback on my marble maze 2 game? I just want to know what people thought of it. Thanks!

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/06/10 06:25

It's a good start. I'd turn the ball into something that looks more attractive (make it translucent and put a mouse that runs inside it?). Also, the levels need to be more attractive and the camera could be placed a bit higher, allowing the player to see a larger area.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/06/10 12:24

thank you for the feedback. I had a translucent skin for the marble, but for somereason the code to make it spawn would not work. To make it translucent though, go into the code and change the marbleskin variable to 3 or 4. What did you think of the feats?
Posted By: aenkku

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/06/10 13:41

Physics is great and handling. I dunno what limits is in extra. When it is possible maybe some sound and music, something quick speed change or something gravity change etc. Very great beginning, keep going smile
aenkku

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/06/10 16:16

I tink that you shoud build the levels from Models as from Blocks. I know, the Manual says otherwise but with models you can do thinks more detailed.
And i thing you cann do more "cool" things. A Spiral for example. The game just need a little speedup and some things like hovering platforms and magnetic railes, like in Marble madness for Wii.
I would make a selection of platforms, ramps and pipes and so on, so you can easy combine them to many levels.
The game has potencial for sure, you just need mor time. Keep going and in a few week the game looks way better. If you ever would see, what the very first version of MM3D looked like, you would surely throwup ;P

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/06/10 17:18

How about the secrets in the game?

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/06/10 17:25

Secrets? Very Secret the secrets, arent they!? They are so secret, thats a secret there are Secrets.
But dont tell......its a Secret.ahahaha, just kidding grin

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/06/10 23:38

I meant to ask if anyone thought they were cool
Posted By: MCKiller

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/07/10 11:32

If I unzip "Golden Eye" my Norton Internet Security 2010 deletes the .exe file ?!?
I think the Sonar feature of NIS has some problems with it.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/07/10 11:54

download unzipper for free or 7zip
WFG programmer

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/07/10 12:01

Maybe the game is "SPY"ware, hahaha! Sorry, just kidding again!
Posted By: Flieger

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/08/10 16:50

I just had the time to test those with the highest votes at the moment, sorry for that. And it was hard to decide :-)

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/12/10 10:16

I have uploaded a new Demo to my own server.
the one on acknex unlimited resources is old and outdated...
Can you reupload mine George (now, or after the contest), I dont want people to play the crappy version, lol tongue thanks!

(link to thread: http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=309886 ).

regards,

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/12/10 11:22

Sure, it won't be a problem to update it. We'll have to wait until the contest is over, though.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/12/10 12:07

Originally Posted By: George
Sure, it won't be a problem to update it. We'll have to wait until the contest is over, though.

Sure, i completely understand, thanks for updating it afterwards then laugh

regards,

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/16/10 19:24

Does anyone know, when the complete Result ( with AUM votes ) will be anounced?

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/16/10 19:50

Tomorrow, the 17th.
Posted By: mikaldinho

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/21/10 15:00

dun dun duuuuuuuunnn!
Posted By: alibaba

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/21/10 15:13

mikaldinho, hast du wirklich nichts besseres zu tun?!!
Posted By: mikaldinho

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/21/10 15:26

nope. that was just for fun. you can't always be serious you know.

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/21/10 21:18

Your seriousness-periods just weren't synchronised.
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Retro game contest - vote your favorite here! - 02/22/10 16:16

After translating:
Originally Posted By: Alibaba
mikaldinho, you have really nothing better to do?!
He's warned actually, looks like he'll see the ban-hammer soon tongue
© 2024 lite-C Forums