Fall 2008 demos uploaded

Posted By: George

Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/17/08 22:22

Dear friends,

The 19 demos are uploaded to Acknex Unlimited (AU demo page). Despite the file size limitation, we have got several impressive entries so please take your time to download, test and rate them.

If you have sent a demo and you don't see it in the list, you have about 48 hours to contact me (the voting will start in 2 days).
Posted By: Vonman

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/18/08 01:31

I like "Splotch You the Way".. It would be even cooler if it was inverted (start out in the level with black and darkness, and use 'glow-in-the-dark' paintballs and paintball gun to illuminate the world around.
Posted By: yakarii

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/18/08 08:58

If size is the limitation in this contest, good ideas will be making the difference. I think these demos do not have those interesting ideas except Splotch the way, which is EXACTLY same as the swan project ; http://iandallas.com/games/swan/
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/18/08 09:04

I prefer entires WITH sourcecodes (to learn from) and already have a favorite... (but there are some genius entires what makes it hard to decide finally)
Posted By: VeT

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/18/08 09:05

You are voting for interesting ideas or for usefull content? smile
Of course, i'd vote for "Lite-C and Newton 2.17" plugin laugh
Posted By: dracula

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/18/08 09:11

What disappoints me from a learning point of view is, that the only games with code included are the ones submitted with the free version of Lite-C.

Drac.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/18/08 14:08

Oh, I didn't knew about this swan project. Why didn't splotch mentioned that it's based off of swan?

Do you need source codes? Why not just ask the author of the game smile.
Posted By: maglat

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/18/08 14:34

For the last time *g* wink

i already said, that i have the idea from the swan project
i already explained it there
http://www.coniserver.net/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=235048&page=4
and there
http://www.coniserver.net/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=236857#Post236857

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/18/08 16:25

Oh, sorry *g* my bad. smile
Posted By: croman

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/18/08 17:44

i'd give my vote to "Physics Constraints Editor" and "Lite-c & Newton" but as i need to decide for just one of 'em i'll vote for VeT's "Lite-c & Newton" - great and really useful stuff

btw, most of them, if not all of them, are great entries smile
Posted By: Revo

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/18/08 20:26

xop- they are all great.
but one is my eye catcher (-> german "augenmerk"^^):
"Physics Constraints Editor" -i wanted to make such a prog a long time until know smile (if i would realy understand how to use it - this would be my best favourit ...!)
Posted By: Hummel

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/18/08 20:34

Should someone be interested in softparticle lite-c source code - just request.
Posted By: XD1v0

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 05:31

PCE_info+examples
There is some info+examples about PCE, I am sorry for english errors,write on english is very hard for me, but if there are questions I will make attempt on them answer.

Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 06:20

i wish we could vote for more than 1.

julz

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 06:31

btw... where are all the demos gone? (11/19/08, 7:30AM)

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 07:07

I can see them all. Anyone else is having this problem?

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 08:42

yesterday they where listed - today they're gone...
(tried IE and firefox on two different systems)

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 08:59

i see them all
Posted By: NeargaModeller

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 09:05

As i'm VeT's teamnate, i'd vote for "Lite-C and Newton 2.17 by Vasilenko Vitaliy"...
but i also like "Splotch you the way by Bennet Seibt"

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 10:32

I see them just fine, FF 3.0.4.

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 10:40

i also like "Splotch you the way", but it have just a funny idea for game

but, imho, my "LiteC+Newton2" have a lot of usefull open code and examples for everybody smile
Posted By: Quad

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 12:04

i see them too, i checked newton,soft particles,physics constraint tool and splotch they are all pretty cool.

ill check others later.

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 12:47

my favourites were Fishy and C-Cube; Fishy for visual appeal, while C-Cube for being the most decent "game" of the bunch.

julz
Posted By: badapple

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 14:31

when i try to play 3d tetris it crashes , 2d tetris works though
has this happened to anyone else?
Posted By: Lukas

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 15:13

Hmm how does the crash look like? Is it a "crash in function_name"-message or the windows-"3D-Tetris has encountered a problem and needs to close" message? Did you play with standard settings ("just clicked "next", then "start") or some other settings?
Also make sure that the folder is not write-protected, sometimes this can cause a crash.

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 15:49

Damn I've just noticed that I didn't clean the 2D-Tetris score before releasing the game. It's full of my own scores. If you want to clear the 2D-Tetris highscore, replace highscore_2dtetris.hs by any other *.hs-file in the 3D-Tetris-2-folder.
Posted By: Karotte

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 15:56

it's good, that you didn't clear the list, so it is more important, to have a lot off points

mein englisch ist grauenhaft.

es ist gut, dass die liste nicht gelerrt wurde, dadurch ist das spiel spannender und es ist nicht so einfach, weit nach vorne zu kommen.

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 16:05

Hmm naja ich dachte, das könnte frustrierend sein^^
Schön, dass du es nicht schlimm findest, dass der Highscore nicht leer ist. smile

Aber viel schlimmer wäre es gewesen, wenn der 3D-Tetris-Highscore nicht geleert worden wäre, denn da haben wohl, wie ich durch das bisherige Feedback erfahren habe, viele am Anfang Probleme mit der Steuerung und ich denke, da wäre es echt frustrierend, wenn da meine Scores drinständen laugh
Posted By: Karotte

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 16:48

wie schafft man so viele punkte??

bei meinem besten spielstand hatte ich 10895 und da kamen die blöcke in der geschwindigkeit, als ob man cur drücken würde. (spiele nur 2D Tetris)

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 18:52

Einfach noch besser spielen und ins Level 14 zu kommen und das dann noch eine kurze Weile aushalten laugh
Ja, das ist nicht einfach, aber mein höchster Score ist ja auch der HIGHscore, nicht der DURSCHNITTSscore wink

Übrigens: Im Level 13, in dem du wahrscheinlich warst, fallen die Blöcke sogar fünf mal schneller als wenn du die Runterziehen-Taste drückst wink laugh
Posted By: Vadim647

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 20:09

::Today's testing process::
5mb Robot - nice concept, good gameplay, nice game to spend time playing in a rainy day (or when you are bored, mainly rainy days and boredom are the same thing for me)
3d Tetris V2 - truly good game. Sad that I hate normal tetrises last time...
Tower Defense - some creeps, some towers... good start (but next time get "real" towers with some kind of texture)
Sizener - interesting concept and design, but it was hard to understood how to play, and 2 levels...
Splotch - here a bit deeper:
* concept is good - painting your way to the exit and stuff
* I haven't tried to understood your tech of painting things on walls, but they often get distorted somehow.
* mind me or not, but taking someones idea to use in the contest with more or less materialistic prize is illegal activity. (have you asked the author of that game? maybe Conitec will need to give another upgrade to the original author because of your copycating...)
WorldsForge - hm... lots of things... lots of tools... what I was supposed to do? It always was giving me some sort of error message on try to make a terrain...
////////
If someone will be wondering about a COMMENTED sourcefile of my game (Battle system), say it smile [i had too few time to finish it so less comments > more work].
It's small turn-based strategy game with different weapons,skills, some levels, and pretty good AI system. Have a look.
Left mouse btn - action > click unit, target, etc. (if you wonder what units are yours, just click around on all of them, ai units are a bit lighter than yours).
{Right} - move camera around
{Middle} - rotate camera
{Right+Middle} - zoom in\out
[Space] - end turn; AI will take it's turn and then you will be able to act again.
...I should have included a helpfile with all that...
////////
edit: Bunny defender looks a bit stupid...(well... it looks like it was supposed to look stupid... dunno for what users it is made...)

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 20:29

Quote:
edit: Bunny defender looks a bit stupid...(well... it looks like it was supposed to look stupid... dunno for what users it is made...)
Yeah, my drawing skills áre stupid wink. At least everything works. EDIT: <- yeah, okay, scrap that grin
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/19/08 22:55

Originally Posted By: Vadim647
taking someones idea to use in the contest with more or less materialistic prize is illegal activity.
that's silly. if ideas could be copyrighted then many entries would be illegal. tetris? tower defense? yeah, i have never heard of such game ideas before. smile the name "tetris" could be problematic though since it still is trademarked i guess...

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/20/08 02:13

i can't believe no one knows this flash game:
http://armorgames.com/play/2205/light-bot

except Sidney Just, i assume.

you'll see how it's relevant.

julz

EDIT: just realised, the first 3 levels are almost identical, as well as some others.

EDIT #2: i like Joozey's (bunny stealer). relatively anyway. kids would often drop my bunnies in the sky, and that's where they'd stay, and then other kids would fly to those bunnies and i couldn't hit them unless they were on the ground. but it's got a good visual style to it (i like the happy sun) and it's not boring.
Posted By: badapple

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/20/08 09:24

@ lukas ..
when i click on the 3d tetris button the game simply exits to windows , i dont get error messages it just quits.

i geuss this could be my crappy pc, that is why i asked if it happened to anyone else.

i have a 1400+ processor , and use a NVIDIA geforce2 mx/mx400
video card and i have the latest direct x

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/20/08 12:58

Hmm I saw sometimes Gamestudio crashing like like this on old PCs when starting the game when a 3D view appears. If it is because of your PC, I'm wondering why the other games work for you. And if it's not, I'm wondering why my game works for everyone else then. confused

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/20/08 18:42

Quote:
EDIT #2: i like Joozey's (bunny stealer). relatively anyway. kids would often drop my bunnies in the sky, and that's where they'd stay, and then other kids would fly to those bunnies and i couldn't hit them unless they were on the ground. but it's got a good visual style to it (i like the happy sun) and it's not boring.
Uh, I would swear I fixed it all. This doesn't happen on my pc :P. I guess I still did some bad programming somewhere. ROARGH! ^^

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/20/08 19:36

Hm... on my pc sometimes bunnys are flying to the sky too, but the mostly fall down after some seconds (or just fly away into eternity in a search of safer planets or something :P)

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/20/08 20:33

Haha okay, I dont get why. Should test on more pc's the next time.

Here my tiny review of each game:

3D tetris is very well done, graphics, music and gameplay wise. Though a little more attention to controls wouldn't have hurt.

5MB Robot error'd and crashed for me. The editor worked sort of, but when testing my level, crash again.

Battlesystem was pretty fun. Although it ended up in a crash in level 3, something about a file can't load. There's more work on that game though.

GCube is well made. Original idea. I like it! Perhaps better implemented some hotkey for remove and build. And I'm missing music.

Duckhunter is very nice. It lacks a menu and stuff, but the game functions well, and it's quite fun! smile

Fishy. Yes, fishy indeed. It's awesome. I would have loved to see something made out of it.

Flight I didn't quite understand. I saw some sort of landscape, then everything turned gray all of a sudden. And then nothing.

LiteC Newton was impressive, but I feel like all physics are the same anyway. Phyisics: they run bad on my pc's grin.

Pan: I liked the menu, but the game barely ran on my pc. Very laggy, and the meaning of the game wasn't clear to me either.

Physics constraint editor: I'm on a notebook and I am no linux freak. I'm sorry but I can't play it with that many hotkeys smile.

pl30a+b: It's nice, but it's kind of buggy, unless the airplanes are supposed to crash into the ground each time.

room: FPS was 18, not awesomely fast smile.

sizener: good potentions, but it has no gameplay at all? I didn't understand what to do.

splotch: great game, very creative! I would have liked some music, and the holes kill you a little too fast.

spcrm: Very nice effect!

Turret defense: Great start for a game, but it needs a littlebit more tweaking in the gameplay.

Worldsforge11, well I am impressed by the many options and extensive tutorials, but I don't have the time to read all that. I hoped for some testsave to load, but default.wfw was the only one available, and I couldn't get anything other than a blue screen. Would've liked to see some demo screens/saves though.

So, hard to make a choice, but I think duckhunt deserves a vote smile

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/20/08 20:55

//LiteC Newton was impressive, but I feel like all physics are the same anyway.
okay, next time i'd do espeshially for you something else, without physic :DDD
Posted By: Vonman

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/20/08 21:03

Quote:
Flight I didn't quite understand. I saw some sort of landscape, then everything turned gray all of a sudden. And then nothing.

I guess I can understand that, thats my fault, I was going to be an altidude indicator to show how far the plane was from the ground, but I ran out of time and had to submit the demo, however, at the beggining, you see white under you (thats the overcast clouds), when you move within it, everything becomes gray because you are now IN the clouds... If you pitch the nose down and decend, in a matter of a few moments (i'd say maybe 10 seconds give or take and depending on how much you are aiming down) you will leave the cloud layer and you will see the GROUND... Depending on if you pressed 1, 2, or 3, the fog level could be hard, medium, or easy.

If you were to try the game again, at the start, press "3" above the "E" key and pitch down the airplane about 10 degrees or so.
In a few moments, you will leave the cloud layer and see everything, including the runnway and beyond.
Posted By: rojart

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/21/08 01:12

Originally Posted By: Joozey
Pan: I liked the menu, but the game barely ran on my pc. Very laggy, and the meaning of the game wasn't clear to me either.

I wanted to show a Map Editor and not a game.The game was only intented for presenting functionality of the Map Editor, but if I complete the ME I'll start with the game design too.Indeed for level1 I used over 440 entities, but you can make a small map level with ME too or download this one and copy to pan directory. Anyway thanks for c&c smile

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/21/08 15:22

out ot assessment...

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/21/08 17:03

damned... now i realise that i forgot to add compounds to menu... i make them, debug them and forgot laugh
so, wait for next version of wrapper :))

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/21/08 18:51

That's better than realizing the fact of pointless of sending anything on contests of GameStudio...
If I'll get at last a full LiteC this time, I'll continue developing that strategy game till a finished project. If not, I'll just leave the 3d gamedev and this forum and won't come back. Noone is sharing content or scripts anymore, noone is releasing free models or textures, and that's stupid that I'm doing that anyway...
Posted By: dracula

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/21/08 19:03

I just voted for Vad. +1
Posted By: Ak3d

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/21/08 19:45

Hi every one.
Some words about PL30A and PL30B (Reactive Airplanes 30A and 30B):
This is a game, but main target of the game isn’t who wins, who loses in this game.
The main target of this program is the demonstration of:
-3D sound, 3D fly world, 3D models, 3D effects, lightning effect (PL30B)
-Fast actions with high frame rate (fps = 60, 1280x1024 full screen resolution),
-Fast network connection event through Internet,
-Good flight dynamic using GameStudio physic engine,
-Intelligent auto pilot Lite-C programming,
-Intelligent auto attack Lite-C programming,
……..
So the winner of this demo is 3D GameStudio Engine.
^_^.

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/21/08 20:42

Vadim647, the largest part of people, who send their demos to this contest worked hard on it, so i cant say that its pointless to send demo here...
For exapmle i started my work 3 month before contest, i had made a lot of work and share with community a lot of code, that was wrote for my project
Posted By: FBL

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/24/08 11:42

Originally Posted By: Vadim647
That's better than realizing the fact of pointless of sending anything on contests of GameStudio...
If I'll get at last a full LiteC this time, I'll continue developing that strategy game till a finished project. If not, I'll just leave the 3d gamedev and this forum and won't come back. Noone is sharing content or scripts anymore, noone is releasing free models or textures, and that's stupid that I'm doing that anyway...

Contests are for winning prizes and showing off things. It's not necessarily the task of a contest to offer plenty of stuff to slaughter and to steal code snippets from.
There are plenty of scripts available in Acknex Unlimited and User Contributions, as well as in the Lite-C Script forum.

There is abolutely no need at all to complain!

Conitec announced there will be different contests - some will require source code included, others are closed source. That's just fine.
Posted By: testDummy

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/24/08 15:37

Quoting firoball.
Quote:
Conitec announced there will be different contests - some will require source code included, others are closed source.

Perhaps, there is a reference link for that.
Maybe it is common knowledge.

edit: removed unreferenced nonsense (most of the post)
Posted By: FBL

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/24/08 15:55

Originally Posted By: testDummy

Perhaps, there is a reference link for that.
Maybe it is common knowledge.

George told so in one of the earlier Contest threads, apart from that the details are always listed in the AUM contest section.

Re: Fall 2008 demos uploaded - 11/24/08 16:52

JCL is the boss, so he decides if the source code has to be made available or not for each contest. I like to look at other people's source code, but if it's a game that they plan to sell I can understand why they don't want to show the source. On the other hand, if they want to include the source code, they are free (and actually encouraged) to do so.
© 2024 lite-C Forums